PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

3 hours ago, Bradtez said:

Perfect day of 32 Celsius here today, walked over to the beach, the water is divine although a bit of seaweed around but the next swell will take it all away.

Woke up to some rain today but a beautiful 27 Celsius today here. It’s raining now and expecting a BIG rain event over the next few days, from as high as Fraser Island down to the Qld/NSW boarder. Really need the rain ️ for the bushfires on Fraser Island as well as our dams.

• Like 2

Ouch - a river cruise would have been lovely!  We were notified our May 2021 Alaska 12-day roundtrip out of Vancouver on the Coral was cancelled.  Just as well - I don’t see us cruising until 2023 at the earliest, but it will be Alaska again (for the 12th time I think) - clearly our favorite.   We’ll likely do a VRBO on the Big Island first.  Either way, we’ll be in as early as possible to get our jabs to start feeling more relaxed when we must go out, which will be a vacation in itself!

On 12/11/2020 at 12:59 AM, MamaFej said:

Some of the mask videos have links to PDFs of patterns in the description below the video. 

Are those the same Jesse masks I mentioned above, or different ones? I'm confident that more than one Jesse has been designing or making masks. 

I tried the 3D circular type today. Hubby loves it. It's one of the easiest I've tried. I found a gorgeous Hanukkah fabric online and I'm trying to get several made from it for friends during the appropriate time. I'll be dropping them off on porches. Then I'll get started on Christmas fabric masks, and Christmas gifts. I'm excited about the special fabrics I've selected for my nieces, SIL, brother, mom, and kids.

I'm going a bit crazy with my Cricut machine and creating lots of other homemade gifts. This year's gifts are homemade, donations to charities the recipient would love,  and items from companies that donate with each purchase. We are extremely fortunate not to have been affected financially by Covid, and we feel that making our gifts meaningful and impactful is more important than ever this year. 

Yes, the same Jesse  mask you mentioned. By measurements, my husbands needed to be an inch smaller under the chin (two 1/4" darts). Mine however, was waaaaay to big under the chin. Even 1/2" darts didn't improve the fit.  I'll make more from the Craftpassion version, plus pleated.

I'm also using my Cricut to make gifts. My daughters are getting jars of spice blends that we're making (sazon, lazone, Italian dressing, and taco seasoning) with custom labels. My parents are getting t-shirts. There are others planned too. I just need to get busy--the daughter that was coming for Christmas now isn't and I cancelled my January trip to MO to visit my parents (haven't seen them in 2-3 years). Sh!+ looks bad and I don't want to risk travelling. I had time built in to finish these projects, but plans changed, so they'll be late because I now have to ship them. 🙄

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I'm also using my Cricut to make gifts

what model of Cricut do you ( or anyone else ) use - I'm sure my wife would like one, but I don't have a clue which one or what they do

she did make some 'special' "pillow sheets" ( what our oldest son use to call them ) for our grandkids on her sewing machine

Today we are enjoying temps in the low 60's (F) and in a few days, we are expecting a typical New England Nor'easter with "plowable snow"....nothing unusual for us in these parts.

Just retired this past week.  Now I'll be getting confused what day it is...DH has been doing that since his retirement nearly 2 yrs. ago...LOL..

Will have more time to be on here and lurk.  At the moment, we have 2 cruises booked (one late 2021 and the other late summer, 2022).  Keeping fingers crossed we will be able to go on both.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, voljeep said:

what model of Cricut do you ( or anyone else ) use - I'm sure my wife would like one, but I don't have a clue which one or what they do

I have an Explore Air 2. It works pretty good for what I do. I also got the large Easy Press and the Mini Easy Press. The Mini is great for making masks.  Most of my Christmas gifts will use something that I cut from vinyl. I'm going to branch out in the new year and try other type blanks (leather/wood). I also need to learn how to import images. The only ones I use are through Cricut.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, voljeep said:

she did make some 'special' "pillow sheets" ( what our oldest son use to call them ) for our grandkids on her sewing machine

I have the Maker. I hemmed and hawed about getting one for over a year, fearing that if I got one, I wouldn't have time to use it much, because we would be traveling nearly full-time following Hubby's retirement (Ha!) and, with my youngest graduating HS, I wouldn't be making things for the band anymore. Friends could do cutting for me, if I provided the material. Well, I finally pulled the trigger in late January, and I'm not quite sure how I lived for 52 years and 10 months without it. 

I mostly design my own stuff, often altering other people's ideas. I have done lots of heat transfer vinyl projects for shirts, tote bags, etc. I've also made vinyl decals for walls, as well as car stickers. My oldest son has had me cut bulletin board headlines for him. I've not tried wood or leather. I have tried cutting fabric for masks, but it's honestly quicker to do it by hand. I can definitely see cutting inticate shapes for appliqué with it, though. I haven't done much with the drawing function, just the sample project that came in the box, but I probably will in the future.

@PurpleHays, I have't found much on Cricut's site that I personally like. It seems like so much of it is designed by the same artist. I like more variety. You might be interested to try the Silhouette Design Store. They've got tons of stuff, and it's easy to navigate. Just be sure to get SVG files, so they'll work with the Cricut software. It's usually about 25 or 50 cents more. They have lots of good specials and bundles, too. I got a Christmas bundle of around 30 designs for a variety of types of projects for $15. .I often just find line drawing images online, then copy and upload them, editing them in Cricut Design Space. I have a generic brand heat press and a mini iron, but it's much larger than the Cricut one. I just can't justify spending that much... yet. Uploading is not difficult. Click on the Upload icon when you are in a project, and you'll be sent to a page with an Upload Image button on the left side. Click that, and select a file from wherever you have put the image you want to use. 

I'll post some pictures of the wall decals I made for my kids' rooms in the next couple of days. 

• Thanks 1

Had quite a weather system come through the last few days, however I believe NSW is still receiving record rain fall. From my understanding the coastline was impacted the worst, with king high tides, winds being described as cyclonic and rain all leading to flooding.

A big cleanup now needed. The Gold Coast beaches have been closed due to being unsafe. There was footage showing house boats, yachts etc. have become victims to the pounding seas. Was very sad to see and some of these were people’s homes.

For us ..... our wooden fence snapped with the strong wind 💨. Not ideal but there are others worse off.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:32 AM, MamaFej said:

I have the Maker. I hemmed and hawed about getting one for over a year, fearing that if I got one, I wouldn't have time to use it much, because we would be traveling nearly full-time following Hubby's retirement (Ha!) and, with my youngest graduating HS, I wouldn't be making things for the band anymore. Friends could do cutting for me, if I provided the material. Well, I finally pulled the trigger in late January, and I'm not quite sure how I lived for 52 years and 10 months without it. 

I mostly design my own stuff, often altering other people's ideas. I have done lots of heat transfer vinyl projects for shirts, tote bags, etc. I've also made vinyl decals for walls, as well as car stickers. My oldest son has had me cut bulletin board headlines for him. I've not tried wood or leather. I have tried cutting fabric for masks, but it's honestly quicker to do it by hand. I can definitely see cutting inticate shapes for appliqué with it, though. I haven't done much with the drawing function, just the sample project that came in the box, but I probably will in the future.

@PurpleHays, I have't found much on Cricut's site that I personally like. It seems like so much of it is designed by the same artist. I like more variety. You might be interested to try the Silhouette Design Store. They've got tons of stuff, and it's easy to navigate. Just be sure to get SVG files, so they'll work with the Cricut software. It's usually about 25 or 50 cents more. They have lots of good specials and bundles, too. I got a Christmas bundle of around 30 designs for a variety of types of projects for $15. .I often just find line drawing images online, then copy and upload them, editing them in Cricut Design Space. I have a generic brand heat press and a mini iron, but it's much larger than the Cricut one. I just can't justify spending that much... yet. Uploading is not difficult. Click on the Upload icon when you are in a project, and you'll be sent to a page with an Upload Image button on the left side. Click that, and select a file from wherever you have put the image you want to use. 

I'll post some pictures of the wall decals I made for my kids' rooms in the next couple of days. 

My set was my graduation present (since we couldn't travel this year). I've tried uploading files, but they don't show up. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've looked at FB groups, but they have upwards of 800 posts a day--too many for me. I suppose I could find a discussion board somewhere.

It should be no surprise that most of my Christmas gifts will be some sort of vinyl project.

20201215_172443.jpg

20201215_112518.jpg

20201215_160707.jpg

Edited by PurpleHays
  • Like 2

I just got home from my 2nd store bought haircut ( 1st was 11 weeks ago ) - walked in, mask on, no wait ... excellent - see ya in March 2021

last Friday met the guy whose 60th birthday party we went to over the summer for lunch at a local place we have gone to many times before.  It was kind of sad, really - way reduced menu, which was OK, but only 3 tables were occupied - when on a 'normal' Friday for lunch there would have easily been 30 tables filled

Our one son, his wife, and 4 kids will arrive sometime late Saturday night, then get up early Sunday morning to head to Disney World for 4 nights if all still goes as planned - we will do 2 day trips to meet them - our days are Animal Kingdom, and then my son and I will drink our way around Epcot. 🍻

they will then head back to our house on Christmas Eve after the park closes and spend a few more days at our house before heading back

should be interesting at Disney to say the least ...

peace out

stay safe 😷

stay hydrated 🧊

• Like 2

Wow - life where you are seems so normal!  We are in severe restrictions- no social gatherings at all, whether in someone’s home, a restaurant, even outdoors.  We are to stick to our own household only.  It will be a pretty lonely Christmas and New Years for families in B.C.  

1 hour ago, bigenna said:

Wow - life where you are seems so normal!  We are in severe restrictions- no social gatherings at all, whether in someone’s home, a restaurant, even outdoors.  We are to stick to our own household only.  It will be a pretty lonely Christmas and New Years for families in B.C.  

It all depends on where you live.  Except for masks required in some stores and the social distance stickers on floors things are and have been pretty normal since May.  I get my nails done, meet with friends, dine in restaurants, and meet with family.

20 minutes ago, Keksie said:

It all depends on where you live.  Except for masks required in some stores and the social distance stickers on floors things are and have been pretty normal since May.  I get my nails done, meet with friends, dine in restaurants, and meet with family.

exactly, as the Gov declared WWE ( Wrestling Entertainment ) was an "essential business" and was allowed to keep the production going for TV on a closed set

see posts # 180 and # 190 back on page 8 - April 15th or so

Edited by voljeep

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

Please everyone be careful over 3,000 people a day are dying in the US because of COVID. Florida is still seeing over 9,000 cases a day and a positivity rate of over 9 %

We are being careful.  Just remember Florida is a very large state and what is happening in one area is not necessarily happening in another.

• Like 1

Hi, All!

I know I am behind and I promised project pictures for the few who are interested, but I'm swamped!

I just wanted to quickly come here and share my joy that my cousin's 9 year-old son got his pick line removed today and got to ring the bell to celebrate the end of 9 months of chemo and radiation! I'm so happy for him and the whole family!

The latest scans show a slight irregularity, but the doctors think it's scar tissue, not more or residual cancer. He will have more scans in February, and if the irregularity has not grown, he will be considered out of the woods. It has been a heck of a rough time for the family, and I am so glad that this chapter seems to be just about over.

IMG_2913.PNG

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Hi, All!

I know I am behind and I promised project pictures for the few who are interested, but I'm swamped!

I just wanted to quickly come here and share my joy that my cousin's 9 year-old son got his pick line removed today and got to ring the bell to celebrate the end of 9 months of chemo and radiation! I'm so happy for him and the whole family!

The latest scans show a slight irregularity, but the doctors think it's scar tissue, not more or residual cancer. He will have more scans in February, and if the irregularity has not grown, he will be considered out of the woods. It has been a heck of a rough time for the family, and I am so glad that this chapter seems to be just about over.

IMG_2913.PNG

Wow that’s great news!! I’m very happy for him. Good luck and have a great Christmas 🎄 

Tony

• Thanks 1