PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

14 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Just thought I would pop in here to let you know that our first cruise was also our last.  My husband passed suddenly from a heart attack Saturday, January 9th, here at home.

2021 sucks worse than 2020 for me.

😪

I am so sorry for your loss, my heart is breaking for you. Please accept my deepest condolences. May in time your special memories bring you comfort. Sending you lots and lots of hugs 🤗

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone.  I kept back two of his shirts he bought specifically for the cruise and am wearing those as sleep shirts.  I also still have his unopened Princess slippers.  Bags of things we collected in the Alaskan ports and that were given out such as the Daily Patter.  I do cherish those.

I would absolutely do a cruise solo if I could get to the port.  I do not drive and live in Idaho, and I also do not fly (ear issues), but thanks for the idea.

Edited by Lindaru
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Lindaru said:

Just thought I would pop in here to let you know that our first cruise was also our last.  My husband passed suddenly from a heart attack Saturday, January 9th, here at home.

😪

I am so very sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, Lindaru said:

😪

I’m so sorry for you loss. May he rest in peace. 🙏🏻
Tony

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, Lindaru said:

😪

I am terribly sorry. My heart is breaking for you, and I truly hope that his memory will be a blessing for you.

I do hope that you can find a way to travel someday, perhaps with a group, once travel is advisable. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 12:12 PM, Lindaru said:

😪

My sincere condolences. No words can take away the pain and loss.  Please stay connected with family, friends, support groups, etc. Such a difficult season in which to lose your beloved. 😥

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, Lindaru said:

Thank you, everyone.  I kept back two of his shirts he bought specifically for the cruise and am wearing those as sleep shirts.  I also still have his unopened Princess slippers.  Bags of things we collected in the Alaskan ports and that were given out such as the Daily Patter.  I do cherish those.

I would absolutely do a cruise solo if I could get to the port.  I do not drive and live in Idaho, and I also do not fly (ear issues), but thanks for the idea.

Edited by Reader0108598
Double post.

Been a while since I checked in. Things were going well, except last week I fell over my feet and landed on my left hip on concrete. Luckily there was no break, just a hip pointer. So it is Tylenol and icepacks for a few weeks. My wife Marj is my caretaker/drill sergeant I appreciate her putting up with my whiney butt. I am scheduled for a Covid shot in early March, not soon enough.  It appears that we will not reschedule our cruise until 2022, again not soon enough.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DormMom said:

Our vaccine shot is scheduled for this Friday--Hurrah!!!  

We signed up to be notified when it's "our turn" but don't expect it to be for quite some time yet. Chris is 69 and I turn 68 the beginning of March so we're not in the current selection group. We no longer have any cruises booked before January 2022 so no issue there but we do want to do a camping trip the beginning of June so I'm really hoping they get to us before then. The plan is to collect a few more US National Parks for my wife. This proposed trip would take us to Canyonlands National Park in Utah as well as Mesa Verde National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Rocky Mountain National Park - the last 3 being in Colorado.

So far she has collected 35 parks. Thanks to cruising those include the one in the Virgin Islands and the one in American Samoa. When she started collecting National Parks there were something like 58. Now there are 63. Sheesh... So many parks, so little time. We actually ran into a couple at the park headquarters in American Samoa who were getting their picture taken with a ranger and a sign that said they had visited all of the parks - at least all there were at that time. I asked them how they managed to visit the ones in the far northern part of Alaska and they said they had chartered a small plane to fly them to those locations. I doubt we will ever make it to those parks but we plan to visit as many as we can while we can still travel. We do love to cruise but there is sooooooooooooo much to see in this country as well.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

We signed up to be notified when it's "our turn" but don't expect it to be for quite some time yet. Chris is 69 and I turn 68 the beginning of March so we're not in the current selection group. We no longer have any cruises booked before January 2022 so no issue there but we do want to do a camping trip the beginning of June so I'm really hoping they get to us before then. The plan is to collect a few more US National Parks for my wife. This proposed trip would take us to Canyonlands National Park in Utah as well as Mesa Verde National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Rocky Mountain National Park - the last 3 being in Colorado.

So far she has collected 35 parks. Thanks to cruising those include the one in the Virgin Islands and the one in American Samoa. When she started collecting National Parks there were something like 58. Now there are 63. Sheesh... So many parks, so little time. We actually ran into a couple at the park headquarters in American Samoa who were getting their picture taken with a ranger and a sign that said they had visited all of the parks - at least all there were at that time. I asked them how they managed to visit the ones in the far northern part of Alaska and they said they had chartered a small plane to fly them to those locations. I doubt we will ever make it to those parks but we plan to visit as many as we can while we can still travel. We do love to cruise but there is sooooooooooooo much to see in this country as well.

All four of those parks are spectacular, and rather different from one another. I hope you will get there before it gets too hot. Rocky is cooler that the others, especially at elevation. Enjoy!

I'd have to look at a list to determine how many National Parks we've been to, but we've been to well over 100 NPS units, including National Monuments, Historical Sites, Battlefields, etc. There are more than 42

0 NPS sites, including the Parks, and I would love to get to all of them someday. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 10:02 PM, Lucky TGO said:

Things are not to good right now. One of my best friends just came down with the virus.

He going to try this new experimental medication. It’s called an infusion. 🤞That’s all I know at this time.

Tony

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

l just wanted to tell everyone that my friend is 100% better. The experimental medication is working. He’s just feeling a little tired at this time.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, MamaFej said:

All four of those parks are spectacular, and rather different from one another. I hope you will get there before it gets too hot. Rocky is cooler that the others, especially at elevation. Enjoy!

I'd have to look at a list to determine how many National Parks we've been to, but we've been to well over 100 NPS units, including National Monuments, Historical Sites, Battlefields, etc. There are more than 42

0 NPS sites, including the Parks, and I would love to get to all of them someday. 

Yep. We've been to many national forest sites and national monuments. She just hasn't tracked those. It's amazing how many places there are. We won't be able to get everywhere we want to visit but will do what we can. If we had started younger we would have "gotten" more but we had kids, jobs, etc. For most of the time we were poor but we did what we could.

• Like 4

WowTony - that’s excellent news about your pal’s response to the infusion.  It is encouraging and exciting that we might have an effective treatment for active cases! That - along with the vaccine gives me hope for future travels.  Yay!

• Like 1

Looks like my wife has finished her camping plan. Looks like 4.5 - 5 weeks. We get the 4 new parks plus a couple of bonus nights back in Great Basin National Park. It will be nice to visit there again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Looks like my wife has finished her camping plan. Looks like 4.5 - 5 weeks. We get the 4 new parks plus a couple of bonus nights back in Great Basin National Park. It will be nice to visit there again.

This made me smile, Thrak! I'm happy for you.

I know that you are also planning to cruise in the South Pacific in early 2022. Will you be affected by the sale of the Pacific Princess? We've lost the beginning of our 12+ week trip due to the sale. I'm looking at other options. 

33 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

This made me smile, Thrak! I'm happy for you.

I know that you are also planning to cruise in the South Pacific in early 2022. Will you be affected by the sale of the Pacific Princess? We've lost the beginning of our 12+ week trip due to the sale. I'm looking at other options. 

We're booked for Australia, New Zealand, and Tasmania in January of 2022 on Sapphire Princess. Oddly enough, we are also booked on Sapphire Princess to Alaska for 12 days in May of 2022.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We're booked for Australia, New Zealand, and Tasmania in January of 2022 on Sapphire Princess. Oddly enough, we are also booked on Sapphire Princess to Alaska for 12 days in May of 2022.

I'm glad you won't be affected. I was really looking forward to the small ship experience on the Pacific. Our other cruises on this adventure are the Celebrity Eclipse and the Coral Princess. 

So far, so good. 

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

Hi Thrak-

I apologize if I missed it... which "new parks" will you be visiting?

I am also working on a couple of trips with our travel trailer; one to begin

in mid April and another for the beginning in June. I buy National Park

magnets for souvenirs.

We live 75 miles east of Olympia, Washington (coast). Mt. Rushmore has been

on our list, but I fear that mid April may be too early for reaching South Dakota.

Thanks for sharing! Great Basin National Park looks great, however, their campgrounds

do not take reservations.

58 minutes ago, nini said:

Hi Thrak-

I apologize if I missed it... which "new parks" will you be visiting?

I am also working on a couple of trips with our travel trailer; one to begin

in mid April and another for the beginning in June. I buy National Park

magnets for souvenirs.

We live 75 miles east of Olympia, Washington (coast). Mt. Rushmore has been

on our list, but I fear that mid April may be too early for reaching South Dakota.

Thanks for sharing! Great Basin National Park looks great, however, their campgrounds

do not take reservations.

The parks that will be "new to us" are Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes, and Rocky Mountain. We visited Mt. Rushmore back in 2001 when we took a camping trip with our oldest son and our daughter who is our youngest. We also visited Yellowstone and Grand Teton and hit the Black Hills and Deadwood during the height of the Sturgis bike run on that same trip. There were lots of motorcycles everywhere. Here's a pic of my wife and daughter "hitching a ride" with our oldest son and providing rear ballast coming down a somewhat steep walkway in Yellowstone.

image.thumb.png.445fba0423300c3fcbd1f947cad58c4e.png

• Like 2

Thanks Thrak! LOL-  I have heard to not visit Mt. Rushmore during Sturgis.

We have been to Mesa Verde and loved it. But we were driving a 1960 VW Bus

that we converted into a camper. I have read that you need to leave trailers down

below at a campground and just drive your vehicle up.

As I recall, the road is steep and windy to the top.

This sounds like a fabulous trip.

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

don't forget your masks ... 😷

Under the mandate, face masks will be required on all federal property and by all federal employees and contractors. This applies to all federal buildings and land across the country, including federal courthouses, state Capitols, national parks, and monuments. This means if you visit the Grand Canyon or the Statue of Liberty, you'll be required to mask up. Although Biden has no authority over state and local orders, he has urged them to enact their own mandates. While most states already have mask requirements in place, others (including Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee) have chosen not