PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

Hopefully vaccines will start here in mid to late February. There are various rounds starting with health workers etc. Think 🤔 I might be in round 2/B as I have a chronic medical condition. As we know things can always change. Currently we’re at around day 11 of no COVID-19 community transmission. Lets keep up the good work of being tested etc. A lot of sacrifice by the greater community to get to this point. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, voljeep said:

Great News - wife got her PCR test results from yesterday morning test ( prioritized for frontline healthcare workers )  " NOT DETECTED " 

we get our 2nd vaccine shot on 2/5/21

hey Princess - pick us for one of your 'test cruises' out of PE/FLL - we're all in even on short notice !!

I also got the "NOT DETECTED" notification

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 12:42 PM, Thrak said:

Well... I don't believe this applies to "within your campsite" and it's also supposedly for 100 days which will be over by the time we leave. We plan to head out May 5th which should be just after the 100 days. (Not that I'm really all that convinced it will end after 100 days...) We already mask up when in public. We dislike doing so but that's just how things are these days so we comply with the rules.

On our trip last year, we did not wear masks while in our campsite or exploring.

We did wear them when entering a souvenir store, etc. In northern Idaho (in June),

maybe 50% wore them in the grocery store. We traveled from the Washington State coast,

across Washington, into N. Idaho, into N. Montana.

7 minutes ago, nini said:

On our trip last year, we did not wear masks while in our campsite or exploring.

We did wear them when entering a souvenir store, etc. In northern Idaho (in June),

maybe 50% wore them in the grocery store. We traveled from the Washington State coast,

across Washington, into N. Idaho, into N. Montana.

We lucked out on a short trip last year. We camped a few days near where one of our son's lives before visiting at his house. There was a closed loop on the campground that had been open for a group just before we arrived. There was a restroom for that loop that was still open and maintained but there was nobody anywhere near to it but us so we had private facilities. Especially nice with the virus stuff going on. After we left there we visited at our son's house but slept out in our little teardrop.

I get a bit sad every time I go out to the garage and see the teardrop sitting there. I soooooooooooooooo want to head out on a trip. On the plus side, my wife's quilt guild has decided to skip their quilt show this fall due to COVID so we may well get two camping trips this year. Of course the down side of that is no cruising this year but we'll take what we can get and it's better to look on the bright side than to dwell on the negatives.

• Like 2

Nice that you had such private campground facilities!

Since our  April/ May cruises this year were cancelled, I am working

on a trailer trip to Mt. Rushmore. Our short Keystone Passport is in

our driveway with a cover on. It still smells new.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Our short Keystone Passport is in

our driveway with a cover on. It still smells new.

How do you like the Passport? My wife will be wanting a larger trailer in a year or two. (I love the teardrop.) A Passport would seem huge to us compared to the teardrop. 😁

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

How do you like the Passport? My wife will be wanting a larger trailer in a year or two. (I love the teardrop.) A Passport would seem huge to us compared to the teardrop. 😁

We did not want large... it is 22' long. We can comfortably pull it with our used 2012 Toyota Tundra truck which is 4 wheel drive.

We have been so disillusioned with the lack of quality in the RV world. We had some issues with construction which caused our heater to be basically inoperable. We had to take it in 4 times for repair (all under warranty)

in the first year we had it. FINALLY, after going through 4 Motherboards for the heater, a fantastic

repairman did some serious digging and found out that when the trailer was being constructed, some silly person drove a screw through the wires in the floor, thus shorting out constantly.

Some good friends of ours swear by Arctic Fox (wish we had known this) as the very best.

However, we have also determined that it is extremely important to purchase from a very

reputable dealership who will take good care of you when you even just return for warranty work.

We were very fortunate that the company we purchased from. is fabulous in the service and

how they treat their customers. Many RV owners are not so lucky.

You may enjoy an R-Pod as it would not be a huge change from the Teardrop. But you may be concerned about the quality issue. Our neighbor had an R-Pod and we seriously considered buying it from him. He was asking too much for it and it showed some delamination.

We love getting out and about in our Trackabout Off-road Camper Trailer. The longest we’ve camped with our setup is 28 days on Fraser Island, had visits every day from the Rangers just to check out our setup 😎👍.

We’re currently selling our 19” off-road caravan, as we just don’t use it enough 😭. When we retired we’ll look at this option again 😀.

I am recovering from vaccine #2.  Side effects weren't too bad: sore arm, headache, fatigue.  48 hours later and I am about back to normal.

When I am able to retire  (or at least switch to per diem) we would like to get a trailerable sleep-aboard boat, and use it both at camping docks and also in campgrounds on the way to wherever we want to put it in the water. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your 2nd-shot experience!  In Colorado the vaccine is opening up for 65-69 and teachers on Feb 8th.  In our County there is no centralized registry so it’s a crapshoot, where you sign up on as many platforms as possible and take the first appointment that becomes available.  Not terribly efficient but I’ll make sure I have a large mug of coffee when I start the hunt for the two of us.

Edited by LoriPhil

On 1/28/2021 at 12:28 PM, voljeep said:

Great News - wife got her PCR test results from yesterday morning test ( prioritized for frontline healthcare workers )  " NOT DETECTED " 

hey Princess - pick us for one of your 'test cruises' out of PE/FLL - we're all in even on short notice !!

Us too! We'll do a test cruise too!

Edited by suzyed

One of my wife's quilting friends heard that another friend got her first vaccination. We were confused because the news on TV, the newspaper, etc. all are saying 75 and older only so far. She investigated and sent my wife some kind of vague info. We checked it out more thoroughly and discovered there were a limited number of vaccinations being done in Butte County for age 65 and up. We signed up and are getting our first shots on February 2 - only 3 days from now. From the info listed it's the Moderna vaccine. It's good to get this going.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4

On 1/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, voljeep said:

Did you get any "official" documentation after the first dose? Have they said if you will get any "official" documentation after the second dose?

We get our first dose on Tuesday (2/2/21) and I'm hoping for something "official" that might be accepted by travel companies. I know many are making noises about having to have a negative test a very short time before boarding planes, trains, ships, etc. I'm wondering if there will be any sort of document that might be accepted in lieu of testing.

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Did you get any "official" documentation after the first dose? Have they said if you will get any "official" documentation after the second dose?

We get our first dose on Tuesday (2/2/21) and I'm hoping for something "official" that might be accepted by travel companies. I know many are making noises about having to have a negative test a very short time before boarding planes, trains, ships, etc. I'm wondering if there will be any sort of document that might be accepted in lieu of testing.

I have no clue ... it was thru my wife's work and she has all the documentation ... we got some kind of piece of paper showing we got the Pfizer vaccine

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Yes.  I got my first Pfizer dose two days ago.  You get a special card that says "Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card" with a CDC logo on the upper right corner.  Advised to never lose it.  It is more valuable 

than a passport.  Never show it on social media.  Too much personal info that can be scavenged, or duplicated to create another fake card or access you bank account.   Again, never lose the card!  It probably can't be replaced.

I think it's probably a good idea to make a copy of the card and keep that copy in a safety deposit box or other fireproof safe in case the original is ever lost, stolen, or misplaced in your travels.

The card indicates your name, birthdate, patient number,  type of vaccine, lot number, and dates of administration.

Since the battery in my crystal ball is failing, I can't speculate on what anyone, anywhere may  want see for follow up.  Once I get a new battery, I'll do a follow up and tell everyone what they should do

along with when, where, and how they will cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1980dory- Excellent advice! However, I am still bothered by the CDC ruling

of having to have a Covid test no more than 3 days before return back to the USA.

It does not allow the vaccinations for this stipulation (which IMHO is counterproductive

to getting the vaccines in the first place!)

10 minutes ago, nini said:

1980dory- Excellent advice! However, I am still bothered by the CDC ruling

of having to have a Covid test no more than 3 days before return back to the USA.

It does not allow the vaccinations for this stipulation (which IMHO is counterproductive

to getting the vaccines in the first place!)

Yes.  I agree.  I would go fight the CDC and I'm sure they will get it figured out very soon and give you a personal response and 'thank you' for your help.

It is a government agency here to help us.

We'll all be waiting anxiously to hear your results.

4 hours ago, nini said:

Thrak- I sure hope that we will be able to use our 2 vaccines in lieu of testing

Or else, we will be docking in Barcelona and seeking out where to be tested before

we can fly home. Yikes!

I can think of worse places to be stuck for a bit than Barcelona. (Casablanca comes to mind.) Granted, we only spent 4 days in Barcelona and I don't think I'd really like to be there for 14 days. It could get expensive! It's a pretty interesting place though.

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

Yes.  I agree.  I would go fight the CDC and I'm sure they will get it figured out very soon and give you a personal response and 'thank you' for your help.

Bwahahahahahahaaaa... Having worked for the government - even if it was only the California State Government - I never saw a lot of common sense floating around. Those people can fail to understand even a clearly worded directive or rule. Petty tyrant bureaucrats abound.

Edited by Thrak

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

I normally would be on a 20 day cruise at this time of the year. But boy am I lucky we are Expecting a foot of snow tomorrow in Boston. 😳 

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I can think of worse places to be stuck for a bit than Barcelona. (Casablanca comes to mind.) Granted, we only spent 4 days in Barcelona and I don't think I'd really like to be there for 14 days. It could get expensive! It's a pretty interesting place though.

Bwahahahahahahaaaa... Having worked for the government - even if it was only the California State Government - I never saw a lot of common sense floating around. Those people can fail to understand even a clearly worded directive or rule. Petty tyrant bureaucrats abound.

Really??  I would have never imagined that.  I thought they were all dedicated public servants 

equiped to serve the public in whatever capacity nenessary to accomplish the mission.

This is such a disappointment to hear this!

I still believe that if Nini contacts the CDC they will readily resolve the problem for her (and us).