MSC CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE??

Host Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:42 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Things are looking better and better here. The latest update say that we have 40 people in intensive care in Sweden because of Covid-19.

Today we have 22 people in intensive care because of Covid-19 in Sweden. My small part of Sweden with 300.000 people hasn't had anyone in intensive care since July 25.

Edited by sverigecruiser
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is Florida there are no statewide restrictions in place and cases have been rising again.

We hit over 10,000 new cases last week (Halloween surge and super spreader election rallies) and it is obvious from the out of state cars in my community that many are having large Thanksgiving gatherings.

This behavior will have an impact on cruising from Florida ports.  What company in their right mind would invest in itineraries leaving from ports where passengers have a good chance in contracting Covid 19  before setting foot on board ship.

We hit a million cases of Covid 19 yesterday in Florida.

A local University of South Florida MD/epidemiologist (name escapes me) has predicted that with the surge on the surge from Thanksgiving and with Christmas and New Year's approaching, Florida will see 15,000 new cases a day in January.

Meanwhile, state leadership has doubled down on no restrictions and wants to encourage international visitors to come to the state.

My husband and I stay in our house with limited forays out for necessities. Good thing we are both introverts. Netflix and books are our entertainment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, the first group of health care workers here received their vaccinations.  It has started!  There is a great feeling of optimism.

For the first time in its history, the Tribune Review ran an editorial on the front page encouraging everyone to be vaccinated.

Having been among the first to receive the Salk polio vaccine as a child, I am especially grateful for all the work that has been done.  In more recent years, while on cruises, we have met two lovely women, just a bit younger than us, who were a few months short of eligibility to receive that vaccine when it first came out.   Both developed polio as children, and have spent their lives with that burden.

• 1 month later...

An unexpected happy memory!

I was reading, with radio in the background.  On comes an excerpt from "Madama Butterfly".  I was instantly transported back to the beautiful matinee production on Seaside last January.  I am now picturing, and hearing it, as I write.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good morning,

Over the course of the year we have faired rather well as we have been able to shop etc as we like to and we did take out to support small biz

Our governor in FL has done and outstanding job.

The biggest issues have been snowbirds and spring breakers. Even a friend in Chicago who complained about “people in FL” then drove down to Naples to rent a house to get away from Chicago. The hypocrisy was quite palpable.

Ironically Cuomo had all kinds of restrictions yet threatened states with lawsuit who wouldn’t allow NYers in. Miami Dade was a hot mess for awhile. I know of folks who left NYC to spend time in NC in Wilmington and then Hilton Head...

In Fl Not every county nor town is the same and FL has done really well...especially when you compare methods etc vs CA and NY.

every day I am grateful we live in FL.

We had our first vax last week and have our appt for second. We are ready to sail, and would have gone untaxed if we could have

Our county city has lifted mask requirements

We hope the state is fully open once the spring breakers and their bad behavior of looting and destruction in Miami Beach is over. I suspect the governor is waiting until that crisis has passed.

We hope MSC is just as wonderful as it was before 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Peaceful.

In the country 81% are fully vaccinated and 85% on the way. These percentages are of the people who have been offered the vaccine, so not the children. Everyone above 12 or 16 has had the offer by now.

Basically all restrictions have been lifted - the rest is gone by 10th September. 

We have a quite stable number of infected - 1000 a day with 120-150 in hospital whereof 20-25 in intensive care. 

The total population in the country is around 5.6 mill. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

US Covid infections have been falling sharply. According to an article yesterday, back on January 10th, 4,110 out of every million Americans recorded infections, but that rate was only 2,643 as late as Friday, and had fallen to only 615 per million by Sunday. This sharp drop tracks the South African experience with Omicron, where the final wave was tall but very narrow, meaning the cases shot up quickly and then fell again just as fast as they had increased.

Moving from pandemic to endemic

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In Germany, the free tests have been ended. You now have to pay for each test. Since then, the numbers have gone down.
Shame upon him who thinks evil upon it.

There are almost no more restrictions worth mentioning. But my next cruise starts at the beginning of August. So i am voluntarily very careful to stay healthy until then.

• 2 weeks later...

Where I live in the states, for all intents and purposes the pandemic is over, though the county likes to send reminder text messages every day that make it sound like the world is imploding.

I was at Costco today and 98% of people are maskless. People shop and dine and go about without a mask for the most part. I don't know anybody that is currently sick beyond one person with a stuffy nose. 

None of this is to lighten the mood for those who have truly suffered. For them I am deeply sorry.

My family cruised in June to Alaska and we had to get negative covid tests two days in advance. We were negative. We sailed. My teen got sick while on the cruise. We all came home. Wife and me got sick and were fine by the weekend. All three of us were covid positive.

I told my friend, "If I have to get mildly sick twice a year for the rest of my life just to live normally, I am fine with that."

That's what is happening in my neck of the woods!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Host Carolyn Hi Carolyn, are you still moderating the MSC thread? I think this could be unpinned, Maybe it could be replaced by something like an FAQ thread, covering common questions: Upgrade bidding, bringing drinks on board, drink packages, MSC website and customer service, dining seating, disembarkation time..

• Like 4

• 1 month later...