Is it smart to buy a cruise now?

Valentina84

I sound like the village idiot who doesn't know what is happening! But seriously, if I buy a cruise now under the new Buy with Peace or whatever they call it, where you can cancel before September I believe for a good price or cancel 48 prior and use the ticket as FCC. Is it smart money wise? Are the cruises the same price than before?

Sorry I am just confused, not sure if there is a benefit in getting a very good deal. 

Thank you for answering in advance. 

24 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

No.  Everything is uncertain and frozen now.  Prices are the same.  Once things go back to "normal" they will have to slash prices to jump start their ships.  I say wait.

I agree to wait, but with all the FCC's being issued prices will be artificially higher for the next year or more as NCL makes the most of the use it or lose it situation.

I will admit that I have checked cruise prices and itineraries almost daily during this crisis (nothing new, I do that anyway).  Agree that prices are elevated and will have to come down if NCL hopes to fill cruise ships after this is over.  I have my eye on a November cruise...but prices are too high right now, so I will wait it out.  That would be my advice to anyone thinking about booking a cruise right now.  Wait.

No.

As much as like many others we would love to escape somewhere.

Too much uncertainty globally.

Not just about the virus and health issues.

Economic major down turns and political disruption means it is unwise and unsafe to travel in the foreseeable future.

For us this is frustrating and distressing but it is what it is.

Would love to be wrong but it is looking like this will be a long process.

Take care all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

I agree to wait, but with all the FCC's being issued prices will be artificially higher for the next year or more as NCL makes the most of the use it or lose it situation.

That would surprise me.  There's a lot more people without FCCs than who will have them.  They'll need to stay competitive with the other lines.

2 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

That would surprise me.  There's a lot more people without FCCs than who will have them.  They'll need to stay competitive with the other lines.

All the lines are giving out many FCC's so they will all jack the prices to pay back the loans they had to take to survive.  Every cruiser who uses FCC is contributing little or no cash while causing more expenses to the cruise line.  They may be cheaper at first because people will be reluctant to cruise until they get some good reports.  Cruises are always cheaper in November and December except for holiday cruises, then in January the prices will be much higher as the cruise addicts jump back in.

Edited by mugtech
Spelling

14 hours ago, blcruising said:

This is not a good time to book a cruise. Period.

I respectfully disagree.  First, I've learned that the prices you see online may not be the price you pay when you book.  Working with my TA, I made a new booking this week at a price ~20% below the website pricing - same cabin and all perks.  And from my historical pricing model, the cruise was not a "steal" but nonetheless, still a good value.  With cabin and cruise locked-in, I still have the flexibility to re-fare the cruise anytime up to the final payment date as I have done multiple times before when better offers became available.  Do your homework, be informed and decide for yourself if it is time to book a new cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

I respectfully disagree.  First, I've learned that the prices you see online may not be the price you pay when you book.  Working with my TA, I made a new booking this week at a price ~20% below the website pricing - same cabin and all perks.  And from my historical pricing model, the cruise was not a "steal" but nonetheless, still a good value.  With cabin and cruise locked-in, I still have the flexibility to re-fare the cruise anytime up to the final payment date as I have done multiple times before when better offers became available.  Do your homework, be informed and decide for yourself if it is time to book a new cruise.

This is no time for common sense Huli.  This is the time for mass hysteria and to throw around accusations. 

If I find a cruise that fits my families schedule and the price is good, I will book it.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

our travel agent said and i quote " you would be surprised the amount of people who are booking right now, the cruise lines will not go bankrupt." i for one take that with a grain of salt, in fact don't believe her at all.

Anyway to make a sale .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Anyway to make a sale .......

Or maybe, just maybe, the TA has had a run on cruise sales from people who realize they like spending time with their family while in lock down? 

I cannot go through life thinking everyone is out to get me.  

We cancelled a Sept Canada New England cruise  and booked 17 day South America cruise for April 2021 price was unreal plus we booked through CAS for further discount. Our price was less than the 7 Canada New England cruise.

Edited by FranknBeans
addition

2 hours ago, JimR24 said:

Then it isn't too late to be responsible and listen to what the government as well as health professionals from the CDC and WHO are telling everyone. But hey, you do what you have to do. Safe travels wherever you try to go.

6 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Then it isn't too late to be responsible and listen to what the government as well as health professionals from the CDC and WHO are telling everyone. But hey, you do what you have to do. Safe travels wherever you try to go.

I did not say I was traveling.  Everything is closed and my work has us grounded.  I said I would book a cruise if it fit my families schedule.   I have been following exactly what the US government says about everything.  

I'll listen to the CDC but the WHO is corrupt beyond belief.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimR24 said:

Or maybe, just maybe, the TA has had a run on cruise sales from people who realize they like spending time with their family while in lock down? 

maybe not, however you must  use some common sense and see what is going on around you.  We may want to do a lot right now but the circumstances are telling you to be cautious and that it may not be a good time to make it happen.

Edited by spanishguy1970

54 minutes ago, blcruising said:

But what about when the CDC and WHO say it's all clear?  You make it sound as if one has the option to cruise right now and by doing so, is acting irresponsibly.   And of course, nobody has that option right now so what's the harm in planning for the future?  Once we get the all clear, I will be back on a ship...end of story.

• Like 2