Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

4 minutes ago, Wolf 8 said:

Hi, the CDC website will give you clarity as to what personal steps to take for protecting yourself and especially the vulnerable.  Due to vastly differing conditions from state to state, your governor and their officials are your source for local guidance.

Hey Wolf 8 !  Of interest and coincidence our governor of PA is Tom Wolf.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, TeeRick said:

Not to steal this thread and make it about lockdowns.  But..... They do not work in most countries.  Unless very very restrictive with no exceptions.  The lockdowns in the US were very leaky and lenient.  Sort of like leaving your dog in your fenced-in yard knowing there were huge holes in the fence! They helped sure but not a true solution.  Yes- masks, social distancing and hand washing.

Agree that because our states aren't all on the same page, and some not really locking down or practicing social distancing and mask wearing- that is why the problem will last much longer.  We really want to cruise and hope that all Governors are practicing social distancing and protocols developed by the experts.

• Like 1

I totally agree about the lockdowns being “leaky”.  Some states caved to pressure and opened too early thus eventually having upticks. No way to prevent those people from traveling to other states. There is also no teeth in mask mandates. You cannot put a kid at the door of a store to make sure people wear a mask. I was just in OBX standing at the”COVID style” continental breakfast wAiting for coffee at the Inn. Masks are “required” and we all had them on. In walks a man without a mask and the hotel personnel said nothing and gave him coffee. This msn then sneezed!!!!! Upon leaving he says , “have a blessed day”!  This kind of behavior will keep us in this torture forever! 

In Quebec ( Canada), unfortunately our numbers seems to be going back up a bit again. After a busy spring, we were doing fairly well, to the point of considering the pandemic under control.

The province has divided itself in regions, which are assessed in different coded colors, green, yellow, orange and red, depending on the status of the pandemic in each region. The objective is to avoid a new complete provincial lockdown.

Last I saw, we had four regions in yellow, while the rest of the regions were coded green. But, unfortunately, this could change quickly.

The province has also introduced hefty fines to be given to people refusing to respect Covid guidelines. For example, to people refusing to wear a mask indoors in public areas. It is my understanding that the amount of the fine will increase, in function of the coded regional severity status.

Everything is open, with Covid restrictions, with the exception of karaoke bars who were recently instructed to close again.

I really can’t wait for an effective and safe vaccine and a return to what used to be called a normal life! 

In the UK, the new 'rule of 6' comes into law today. You cannot have a gathering of more than 6 people inside or outside. This applies to family homes/gardens, as well as bars/restaurants where tables of 7 are not now allowed.

However, this is set against the fact that schools and colleges are open fully with 'bubbles' of up to 200 children in each one. Staff are not masked and neither are the children/young adults.  Many schools have had outbreaks and had to send pupils/staff home.

The cases are rising again all across Europe and going into the colder weather it does not bode well.

It doesn't feel as if we have this virus under any kind of control.

On 9/13/2020 at 5:16 PM, mlmbar said:

This kind of behavior will keep us in this torture forever! 

Agree completely. I never expected the level of non-compliance and/or disagreement that this whole situation has created. Using a virus as a political tool is criminal IMHO. I thought the country would pull together, not apart. Can't even compare it to ways in which the country united during WWII. This is why the 'greatest generation' is so named. Oh well...I could say more on all of that but probably better not. Suffice it to say we're in a divided and sorry state. Short fuses and tempers are evident as a result. 

Here in Berks county the daily numbers of new cases are higher than I'd like. Our local school district is the only one to have gone full in-school. So far no reports of any cases. Remains to be seen what's going to happen with football now that it starts tonight. Gov. Wolf has been under fire ever since this whole thing started. Unfortunately we live in a time where no matter what is done or said, somehow it seems to wind up violating someone's rights. My Dad was fond of saying that nobody seems to want to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. It's always someone else's fault when things go wrong. If he were here today I'm sure he'd be saying it alot!!!

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 5:41 AM, evitacruiser said:

The cases are rising again all across Europe and going into the colder weather it does not bode well.

It doesn't feel as if we have this virus under any kind of control.

So sorry to hear this. Kind of looks like we won't be cruising out of Italy in January as planned. 

I totally agree and your dad was a wise man!  Where are you in Berks? My daughter is in Exeter with three little ones on virtual. It is so so difficult. I get so angry at these selfish people who claim it is a hoax and refuse to accept the guidelines. They are depriving our children of the education and socialization that they deserve. I could go on and on lol and be thrown off cruise critic lol 

• Like 1

Today I went to a local supermarket- while masks are mandated, a lady with her two young children were shopping.  One of the children, clearly sick, coughing and sneezing, with a mask half on was shopping with her mother.

So sad that some people are so selfish- clearly the lady could have order grocery delivery on line.  Now easy to get home deliveries and some companies do not charge for delivery.  As long as people remain inconsiderate, this virus will continue and perhaps worsen.  What is wrong with some people?

25 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

What’s wrong with people: That’s easy! We live in an era where the motto is: Me, myself and I. 

Unfortunately, elements such as social graces, social responsibilities seem to have melted away, in the minds of too many people. 

Cases across Europe and UK are rebounding in terms of positive test results but it may still be manageable in terms of hospitalization and mortality.  The world has learned a lot about this virus in 2020.  But it will not go away even with a vaccine for years.  We will need to live with it going forward the best we can.

If the child was sneezing, it’s a cold, not Covid, and masks aren’t mandatory for young children (because trying to get children to comply with correct and sustained mask wearing is like trying to go on a cruise during a pandemic). Not trying to be argumentative, but caring for children through all this is difficult enough without being judged by random strangers who have no idea what you are dealing with and the daily difficult decisions and difficulties you have to navigate your way through. 

29 minutes ago, HeddaGarbled said:

If the child was sneezing, it’s a cold, not Covid, and masks aren’t mandatory for young children (because trying to get children to comply with correct and sustained mask wearing is like trying to go on a cruise during a pandemic). Not trying to be argumentative, but caring for children through all this is difficult enough without being judged by random strangers who have no idea what you are dealing with and the daily difficult decisions and difficulties you have to navigate your way through. 

Being silently judged doesn't seem like much of a burden.  Assuming you don't say anything.  My glares of disdain (TM) never seem to accomplish anything.   🙂

Everyone is missing the point.

we must do everything and anything we can ..... right now!  

Secondly, you think things will go back to life before?  Remember all those people who fought wearing masks, etc?  They are the same who will refuse the vaccine.  Unsafe, DONT take vaccines, I’m from the planet Plucideruptus and we refuse all medical care.

They won’t get in line like my Mother put me in line for the polio vaccine.

Because of all the “Not Gonna’s”, we may never return to the way it was.

One of the posts above  raised a good point...about schools.

I am interested in hearing  how schooling is going or not going.. a mixed bag here in suburban ny..but things are just started up..we'll see what works and what does not.

My grandchildren , Kindergarten, 4th and 5th are doing virtual. The two oldest are doing well but of course would prefer to be with their friends/.  My grand daughter just said tonight that it is not bad and as scary as she thought it would be. BUT this is so hard for kindergarten . My grandson had preschool  cut short so he , as well as others, is behind and has no school skills. The teacher is fabulous and right on top of them .Thank god she is young. BUT she cannot really see if they are doing ok, some of the kids don;t have their supplies because maybe they had to go someplace else for virtual , like grandmom's , that day and forgot some materials.  These kids cannot be left alone  I have no idea how a parent can work at home and deal with a small child doing virtual. My daughter has a baby to  care for too so it is difficult. Luckily she is not working . I cannot see this lasting all year. I know there are many many parents complaining and some districts are rethinking virtual and may possibly go to hybrid. The catholic schools are open for in school and it seems to be going well so I think that public could try. The numbers in my county are low and decreasing 

1 minute ago, hcat said:

One of the posts above  raised a good point...about schools.

I am interested in hearing  how schooling is going or not going.. a mixed bag here in suburban ny..but things are just started up..we'll see what works and what does not.

In Quebec, primary and secondary schools have to be attended in person. CEGEP and Universities may have a different protocol. I am not sure.

As a retired air traffic controller and now active school bus driver, I can attest to the following: school buses are filled at less than 50% capacity. Seats in the school bus are assigned. Grade 5 and above have to wear masks in school bus. (As it turns out, my kindergarten kids also wear masks, at least in the morning.)

In high school, kids spend their whole day in the classroom.

This said, on some Quebec schools, sports have been authorized.

We have had some kids testing positive for Covid in a significant number of schools. (They may have been infected at home). So far, only (thank God) a few schools have reported within school community spread.)

All things considered, so far in our province, the situation is still under control. What really increases the risk is the attitude of some people thinking that Covid is a hoax, a government exaggeration to make money etc... which results in too many people not wearing the mask or not wearing properly. For example, below their nose or just around the neck. 

1 hour ago, HeddaGarbled said:

I expect your “glares of disdain” sent her home feeling even more miserable and harassed than she already was - a little empathy wouldn’t go amiss. 

I wasn't criticizing the poster.  And I had a smiley face.

In the UK many schools are sending whole school years home for testing, however, our system for doing so is in crisis. Few tests available as the labs have a bottle neck of results to process. Hence, the kids have to stay at home for longer than needed. It is a shambles.

All our emergency 'Nightingale' hospitals are re opening awaiting the 'second wave' that seems to be coming.

Regional lockdowns are announced almost every day and nationally we are only allowed to meet as a group of 6 people. Inside or outside.

The PM said yesterday that further tougher measures now seem inevitable, and it has been suggested that we have a 'circuit breaker' national lockdown during the school October half term. No one is sure what they will look like.

We are having a family meal out tomorrow. It may be our last chance to see all our grown up kids together for some time, if as expected, the situation worsens.

Suburban NY....

Schools just opened recently......some hybrid, some virtual, some in person.

School busses are operating but many parents are  driving their children if they can.  Schedules are rough on working parents; and grandparents are  helping if they can..,,hopefuly no one gets sick.

School  team sports mostly on hold...some lawsuits filed,

In  this short time some schools have closed up again for a few days due to Covid exposures, some of that is over reaction but most everyone goes with the flow..  There are no cases en masse so far at grades below college. Colleges not faring as well with Covid breakouts  &  are reverting to virtual classes, dorms closed.

Grandson's pre school now has more children enrolled.  It was  better  safety -wise when he only had 6 in his class...now 16, but they are  being as careful as they can in the school bubbles.    He is catching up on all  the learning and emotional /social growth he lost during the  pause..good to learn,  be with  other children, friends  and teachers.  They started an outdoor exercise regime for fitness but it is getting colder here as summer wanes.

Guess no one knows the future,..but hope schools can thrive again !

Edited by hcat

I’m in Maine this week.  Not many positive cases here.  We were able to do some outdoor dining.  Almost everybody here in the Portland area are wearing masks in the stores and indoor places.  Outside on beaches and other areas like attractions and trails nobody has masks.  But not many people here.  We had to get a Covid test before entering the state.  Negative so we were good.  It has been cold!  In the 30’s at night.  50’s to 60’s in the day.

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I’m in Maine this week.  Not many positive cases here.  We were able to do some outdoor dining.  Almost everybody here in the Portland area are wearing masks in the stores and indoor places.  Outside on beaches and other areas like attractions and trails nobody has masks.  But not many people here.  We had to get a Covid test before entering the state.  Negative so we were good.  It has been cold!  In the 30’s at night.  50’s to 60’s in the day.

Where did you get the COVID test