Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

17 hours ago, Cathy p said:

I am so sorry to hear about everyone's problems. We live in Florida and have all 3 shots available. My hubby and I had the 1st Pfizer shot the 3rd week of February and now will get the 2nd on March 11th. Right now they are doing 1st responders and over 65. Considering everyone in Florida is over 65 it may take a while. No just kidding, but a lot are. 

We received our first shot this week and are scheduled for the follow-up second dose on 31 March.  Despite some earlier "hiccups" the system is finally looking as though it is working as planned -- at least in our area.

NRayH

On 3/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks....As of yesterday....

TORONTO - Ontario will extend the interval between doses of COVID-19 vaccines to up to four months after a national panel recommended doing so, paving the way for an acceleration of the province's immunization effort.

A spokeswoman for Health Minister Christine Elliott said the province welcomed the updated guidance from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization released late Wednesday afternoon.

The UK has been doing this since January.  Real life results after three months are very positive for both PZ and AZ jabs after one dose.  It means that we are now vaccinating the 55-59 year olds and have given a high degree of protection to over 30% of the adult population.  The take up rate is 94% in the over 65s who have been offered the jab.

Apparently some EU countries are also thinking of extending the time between the first and second dose     

I had my letter of invitation from the NHS the day after my 65th birthday in February and will get my next jab in May, hopefully just in time for the opening up of our society in the Summer

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

Thankful that the three educators in our family got their first doses on Friday. Unfortunately Texas has jumped the gun with opening to 100% on March 10 and lifting the mask mandate. Will be interesting to see where that takes us... 

My state, New South Wales, has reached continuous 50 days with no community infections.

Vaccination roll out is slow due to foreign supply restrictions by EU. Our own manufacturing of AZ will be starting up soon.

I also noticed a supply of COVAX has arrived in Fiji. A possibility of a south Pacific cruise bubble in the, hopefully, not too distant future?

On 2/4/2021 at 8:40 AM, Aplmac said:

Compared to other now-blighted locations

life here in Barbados is not so bad, despite Lockdown version 2.0

until Feb. 18th.

At lease we're allowed out of the pen, to exercise on beaches and in parks

(with appropriate social cautions!) from 6 a.m. until 9 a.m.

And we have two big Celebrity cruisers anchored well offshore

biding their time. Reflection and Silhouette.

DSCN0207.JPG

DSCN0209.JPG

DSCN0205.JPG

DSCN0206.JPG

BBay-768.jpg

2Celebrities.JPG

Thank you again for the Barbados pics. Motivating us to visit there as a  fill in before we cruise again .

We received a great offer at 2 Sandals  Barbados resorts...Resorts starting to open. Price includes  med and evac ins policies , and Concierge and  Butler bookings include airport transfers....ahhh heaven!

(Tests required before and after arrival)

If you have any pics of the areas near Sandals, pls share...

Still chilly in NY so we are dreaming of sunshine,  warmth, beaches and beautiful seas while we wait for Spring to blossom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Thank you again for the Barbados pics. Motivating us to visit there as a  fill in before we cruise again .

We received a great offer at 2 Sandals  Barbados resorts...Resorts starting to open. Price includes  med and evac ins policies , and Concierge and  Butler bookings include airport transfers....ahhh heaven!

(Tests required before and after arrival)

If you have any pics of the areas near Sandals, pls share...

Still chilly in NY so we are dreaming of sunshine,  warmth, beaches and beautiful seas while we wait for Spring to blossom.

Sounds wonderful...I have a caution though re Resorts anywhere in the Caribbean....

• Staff inoculations totally complete and repeat testing at regular intervals?
  • Tour areas safe eg:  drivers, excursion location staff, etc?
  • Would the resort be as careful applying the format cruise lines will have to follow?
  • Or would you stay on the grounds where everyone has received their inoculations and testing?
  • Would like to consider, but we can't travel without restrictions upon return.  😞

20 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Sounds wonderful...I have a caution though re Resorts anywhere in the Caribbean....

• Staff inoculations totally complete and repeat testing at regular intervals?
  • Tour areas safe eg:  drivers, excursion location staff, etc?
  • Would the resort be as careful applying the format cruise lines will have to follow?
  • Or would you stay on the grounds where everyone has received their inoculations and testing?
  • Would like to consider, but we can't travel without restrictions upon return.  😞

Thank you for your post...All good points...I will re-read resort and Barbados  info closely and speak with a rep for the resort.  They did  talk about testing pre arrival and upon  arrival,  and sanitizing. I  know they attract an international clientele..part of the charm, but this could  also pose risk??? Not even sure the local lockdowns are lifted yet..did not think about staff. 

Looks like we will need much  follow up before we book.  This would be for the fall of 2021.  Restrictions upon return to NY have been eased with pre and post travel tests.

Otherwise we will be back to Fl as our vacation option .....and patiently and hopefully wait for our cruise in 2022!

32 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Now if they could also vaccinate Canadians we could all be cruising to Alaska very soon!

Although the vaccine shipments are starting to pick up, actual vaccinations are still hit-and-miss in many provinces. In Quebec, for example, they've started offering jabs to anyone 70 and older, while in Ontario they have only just opened up for 80+. At the same time, Quebec has decided to give the AstraZeneca vaccine to those 65 and older, contrary to the recommendations of the national vaccine panel, while Ontario is targeting the 60-64 age group for its shipments of AstraZeneca.

46 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Now if they could also vaccinate Canadians we could all be cruising to Alaska very soon!

If we could only get our doses;  seems they're held up awaiting some other country to get theirs...LOL.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tteettimes said:

And your membership to “ last one to post” has not expired 😂😂

missin’ you 🥴🥴

Thanks Tee  --  Life is never dull & never enough time - the past 6+ months have knocked me on my butt!!!  Miss all the Lasties as well  --  I will have to find time later today for a visit 😎

Edited by Von & John

Update on NY:

NY gov has lifted the requirement for quarantine..after DOMESTIC  travel into NY..effective end of March. Means no pre and post travel testing as well.

There are no longer any Celebrity cruises from NY but other lines  still do.  This may overall  benefit cruises from NJ/Bayonne if that state follows suit,   and many do fly into NY to get to Bayonne, Port Liberty.

All up to CDC...but perhaps science will sway them if more are vaccinated and fewer are getting sick!

• Like 1

My last post from England back in December was a very worried one and we did indeed have a seriously bad few months. However, with a strict lockdown and a fast vaccination programme, things are now looking much better. Schools went back this week; shops, hairdressers, gyms etc scheduled to open early April; pubs and restaurants for May. The government are being cautious this time around (about flipping time!) and this timetable could be delayed if the cases surge again at any point. 

Most of my contemporaries (60 ish) and older have had their first vaccination (apart from the refuseniks) and ages 50+ and second vaccinations for the early vaccinees are underway. 

I had my vaccination done at a newly set up mass vaccination centre in a local theatre. Obviously the vaccinations are being done by professionals, many of whom have volunteered to do this and are putting in long hours, but there are lots of unpaid volunteers managing the car parking and queues and admin and disinfecting the premises etc. This really feels like a  wonderful mass community effort to get us out of this crisis, and having sometimes felt despairing and ashamed about how the U.K. has handled the pandemic, I’ve sort of had my faith restored a little bit.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HeddaGarbled said:

I had my vaccination done at a newly set up mass vaccination centre in a local theatre. Obviously the vaccinations are being done by professionals, many of whom have volunteered to do this and are putting in long hours, but there are lots of unpaid volunteers managing the car parking and queues and admin and disinfecting the premises etc. 

We've seen that here as well. We are more than six weeks past our second dose. The workers at our vaccination sites, many volunteers, were so glad to be doing their jobs. It was a heartwarming experience--smiles all around. I'm feeling a bit of reentry stress but looking forward to better days ahead.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:00 AM, lyndarra said:

My state, New South Wales, has reached continuous 50 days with no community infections.

Vaccination roll out is slow due to foreign supply restrictions by EU. Our own manufacturing of AZ will be starting up soon.

I also noticed a supply of COVAX has arrived in Fiji. A possibility of a south Pacific cruise bubble in the, hopefully, not too distant future?

Vaccinations are slow ATM due to lack of supply caused by EU blocking shipments.

Have had our first recorded community infection after 55 days of no infections except for travelers in hotel quarantine.

The following news story will give you an idea of what happens here when the bug escapes quarantine.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/nsw-records-local-virus-case-after-sydney-hotel-worker-tests-positive/news-story/5625559891c05acd8e0b2866ef8c9d3f

On 3/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, Ray in NH said:

We received our first shot this week and are scheduled for the follow-up second dose on 31 March.  Despite some earlier "hiccups" the system is finally looking as though it is working as planned -- at least in our area.

NRayH

We are doing great in SC getting vaccines if you want one, .all of my neighbors have been vaccinated. I do not want one. I have two auto immune diseases and don’t want a third.. My neurologist said not to take it, many with neurological diseases are getting worse after shot. Not everyone can tolerate it. 

9 hours ago, catty said:

We are doing great in SC getting vaccines if you want one, .all of my neighbors have been vaccinated. I do not want one. I have two auto immune diseases and don’t want a third.. My neurologist said not to take it, many with neurological diseases are getting worse after shot. Not everyone can tolerate it. 

catty- sorry to hear about your autoimmune diseases.  Maybe at some point down the road there will be enough herd immunity to allow you to cruise again if you want to cruise again.

Wishing you well...saw the articles about the floods.

The earth is very active lately.

Japan had an earthquake.

Iceland a rare volcanic eruption.

Hope things calm down everywhere!

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Here in Oz, in the last 18 months, we've had fire, pestilence (COVID) and now floods.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-21/sydney-weather-live-bom-evacuation-warnings-flooding/100019438

Read an interesting note somewhere that, in the spirit of making lemonade when you are handed lemons, some wineries there are using their smoked grapes for gin flavoring.  Not sure how the gin will come out, but as gin is having a 'moment' lots of untraditional flavorings are being tried.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 11:28 PM, catty said:

I'm with you, plus I already had Covid.  No reason to get the jab and cause further issues

Hi

We're scheduled to leave from Southampton UK in October for a cruise.  The CDC is NOT recommending cruise travel until November.  I want to postpone until next year.  What is the general consensus?

Thanks and stay healthy

Jane