Celebrity Cruisers - How are Things where YOU are?

Host Anne

That is unfortunate news about Air NZ, they get very positive reviews online.  And it is a shame we might not be able to visit this Jan as we've heard only positive things about Aus/NZ.  Oh well, perhaps it will have to be another year.

57 minutes ago, Argo. said:

The border between Canada and the US will remain closed for another month for non-essential travel.

With numbers as crazy high as they have been, I will not be visiting my Dad, who lives in Florida for a long, long time.  As sad as that is, I'm glad the border remains closed.  Now they need to enforce the rules in order to keep us all as safe as possible.

4 hours ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

With numbers as crazy high as they have been, I will not be visiting my Dad, who lives in Florida for a long, long time.  As sad as that is, I'm glad the border remains closed.  Now they need to enforce the rules in order to keep us all as safe as possible.

I hope you and your dad stay OK and that Canada continues uniformly enforcing social-distancing rules.  You may have heard that down here some U.S. cities have held certain large, unprotected gatherings.  My family has been holed-up now for nearly 4 months following all the CDC guidelines and after recent events we're resigned to suffering until there is a vaccine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolf 8 said:

I hope you and your dad stay OK and that Canada continues uniformly enforcing social-distancing rules.  You may have heard that down here some U.S. cities have held certain large, unprotected gatherings.  My family has been holed-up now for nearly 4 months following all the CDC guidelines and after recent events we're resigned to suffering until there is a vaccine. 

There is no middle ground? 

The border is closed and most are respecting that, unfortunately there is are some who don't think the rules apply to them.

There are reports that some Americans are skirting the rules by claiming they are going to Alaska, then don't. There have been reports of American tourists in both Banff and Jasper. Apparently they were dining in a restaurant and told there server (who was rather surprised to be serving Americans, considering the border has been closed for months) that they told the border agents they were going to Alaska, but they were actually having a little holiday.

Many Canadians a rightfully outraged, Canadian citizens and permanent residents have to submit a quarantine plan when returning to Canada, and isolate at home for 14 days. But it's okay for Americans to lie about their intentions and have a little holiday. Perhaps have your little holiday in the USA until you get a handle on the health crisis at home.

57 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The border is closed and most are respecting that, unfortunately there is are some who don't think the rules apply to them.

There are reports that some Americans are skirting the rules by claiming they are going to Alaska, then don't. There have been reports of American tourists in both Banff and Jasper. Apparently they were dining in a restaurant and told there server (who was rather surprised to be serving Americans, considering the border has been closed for months) that they told the border agents they were going to Alaska, but they were actually having a little holiday.

Many Canadians a rightfully outraged, Canadian citizens and permanent residents have to submit a quarantine plan when returning to Canada, and isolate at home for 14 days. But it's okay for Americans to lie about their intentions and have a little holiday. Perhaps have your little holiday in the USA until you get a handle on the health crisis at home.

That's exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned that the border closing needs to be enforced.  I don't think that all people are taking this pandemic seriously and they are putting others at risk unnecessarily.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

First of all, it’s not ok to lie — and it’s not ok to lecture a whole country full of people and lump us all together as a monolith.  As an American, I am insulted.  We are all fighting the virus, doing the best we can with the restrictions (some people everywhere better than others at following the rules — and some are recommendations not rules). Each State has different recommendations.  

I would never violate a border and I’m sorry that some Americans may have done that.  But I would stop short of laying that kind of judgment on any country full of different people.

I hope for brighter days ahead for all of us.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, true45 said:

First of all, it’s not ok to lie — and it’s not ok to lecture a whole country full of people and lump us all together as a monolith.  As an American, I am insulted.  We are all fighting the virus, doing the best we can with the restrictions (some people everywhere better than others at following the rules — and some are recommendations not rules). Each State has different recommendations.  

I would never violate a border and I’m sorry that some Americans may have done that.  But I would stop short of laying that kind of judgment on any country full of different people.

I hope for brighter days ahead for all of us.  

I'm pretty sure I said "some" don't think the rules apply. As I said "some" Americans have decided it's okay to breech a closed border because they were more important than the rules. By the way the quarantine order is NOT a recommendation.

Too bad you're insulted, you should actually be as outraged as I am that "some" of your countrymen have managed to once again reinforce the unfortunate stereotype that has been earned around the world. By the way I would be saying the same about anyone from any country who entered my country under false pretenses and disregarded the laws of our land. Just as you would if a Canadian did the same to the United States.

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm pretty sure I said "some" don't think the rules apply. As I said "some" Americans have decided it's okay to breech a closed border because they were more important than the rules. By the way the quarantine order is NOT a recommendation.

Too bad you're insulted, you should actually be as outraged as I am that "some" of your countrymen have managed to once again reinforce the unfortunate stereotype that has been earned around the world. By the way I would be saying the same about anyone from any country who entered my country under false pretenses and disregarded the laws of our land. Just as you would if a Canadian did the same to the United States.

If the story be told, and if it is indeed true, that Americans have broken this rule and come into your country, I do agree it is wrong for them to do that.  And reading your story,  that was what I thought too.  Your stereotype remark brought to mind the condemnation from the world community for our enforcing our own regulations to protect our mostly southern border.  That is wrong also.  We also have that right.  Different rules for Americans.

But your unfortunate last 2 original sentences about Americans was where you lost me.  That was insulting along with the “stereotype” remark.  

I wish all countries swift progress in healing.

If the story be told, and if it is indeed true, that Americans have broken this rule and come into your country, I do agree it is wrong for them to do that.  And reading your story,  that was what I thought too.  Your stereotype remark brought to mind the condemnation from the world community for our enforcing our own regulations to protect our mostly southern border.  That is wrong also.  We also have that right.  Different rules for Americans.

But your unfortunate last 2 original sentences about Americans was where you lost me.  That was insulting along with the “stereotype” remark.  

I wish all countries swift progress in healing.

I will say that indeed I failed to include the word "some" in that sentence and inadvertently implied I thought all Americans were inconsiderate. Unfortunately there is an international stereotype of Americans, right or wrong it exists and the actions of the few manage to sully the reputations of the many.

Many people want to see cruising restart and coming from a tourist town we would love to welcome visitors from around the world. Unfortunately there is a very large world player with all eyes upon it and the picture is not very good. No matter how hard you, your family or all the millions of Americans who are doing the best they can to be safe and helpful there are also millions of Americans who don't seem to realize or care about the harm they are causing.

By the way there are Canadians who don't seem to get it as well, I think we can both agree they're butt heads too.

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I will say that indeed I failed to include the word "some" in that sentence and inadvertently implied I thought all Americans were inconsiderate. Unfortunately there is an international stereotype of Americans, right or wrong it exists and the actions of the few manage to sully the reputations of the many.

Many people want to see cruising restart and coming from a tourist town we would love to welcome visitors from around the world. Unfortunately there is a very large world player with all eyes upon it and the picture is not very good. No matter how hard you, your family or all the millions of Americans who are doing the best they can to be safe and helpful there are also millions of Americans who don't seem to realize or care about the harm they are causing.

By the way there are Canadians who don't seem to get it as well, I think we can both agree they're butt heads too.

I live in a resort area as well but I refrain from falling into that stereotype trap and judge people by their own actions and not by others of that group whether country or other type group.

Happy sailing some day I hope.

• Like 3

I live in a resort area as well but I refrain from falling into that stereotype trap and judge people by their own actions and not by others of that group whether country or other type group.

Happy sailing some day I hope.

It may not seem like it, but on this point we agree.

I think that worldwide there are people who are just not getting the seriousness of the issue. Or they simply do not care as they believe they won't be affected.

We watched in despair all the BLM protests in our country and worldwide. The merits of the issue apart, we are in a pandemic that is killing thousands and specifically thousands of BAME people, and they protest in mass numbers endangering us all.

Our shops opened here yesterday and the scenes from London outside the NIKE store were disgraceful. Again, BAME in the majority, who needed a shoe fix....night after night hundreds are dying and still shoes are a priority, and one worth dying for or killing others for it seems. Crazy.

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Blackduck59, I think that you are right to be upset at "some" Americans flaunting the rules and crossing the border into Canada.  But it is probably "a few" or "some".  They are probably not typical of the majority of Americans in fact taking the pandemic very seriously.  Maybe some increased diligence by Canadian border patrol would be helpful too but I am not an expert on what is actually going on.  You probably see the news videos and reports of the massive protesting, the beach going, the political rallies, and all of the other depictions of us reckless Americans.  I as an American and many millions of us I believe are very uncomfortable with any virus-spreading situation and we still are out with our masks and are social distancing and following the rules.  It is actually heartbreaking and frustrating to me to be in lock down since March and then see all of this stuff happening in our country setting us back in control of the virus.  But there is free choice in the US like in Canada.  It is unfortunate in a pandemic situation that the free choice decisions of some dramatically affect the rest of us.  But I guess that is Democracy in a nutshell.  Most of us love to visit Canada and will do so again when borders re-open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe some increased diligence by Canadian border patrol would be helpful too but I am not an expert on what is actually going on. 

The Canadian government made an exception to the non-essential border closure rules to enable Americans to drive north through BC and the Yukon directly to Alaska. Unfortunately, some have chosen to take advantage of this exception and, while claiming to be heading to Alaska, have enjoyed themselves with holiday travel elsewhere. The exception was made in good faith, clearly a mistake as it turns out. The question now is whether the exception should be rescinded or if enforcement measures should be introduced. For example, have Alaska-bound Americans report at designated RCMP detachments by pre-determined dates during their drive north. Too bad that there always seem to be a small minority who spoil things for the majority.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

So is every Canadian citizen walking around with a mask on?

No not every Canadian is walking around with a mask on. For the most part we are following the guidelines and protocols set out by our respective jurisdictions. I don't normally wear a mask but I am always aware of social distancing. That being said there are situations where a mask is required, my recent Doctor appointments required a mask, as did my first visit with my mother in law, who has been in hospital since early May, recovering from a stroke.

I'm curious what your point was?

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

No not every Canadian is walking around with a mask on. For the most part we are following the guidelines and protocols set out by our respective jurisdictions. I don't normally wear a mask but I am always aware of social distancing. That being said there are situations where a mask is required, my recent Doctor appointments required a mask, as did my first visit with my mother in law, who has been in hospital since early May, recovering from a stroke.

I'm curious what your point was?

I asked if everyone in Canada was wearing a mask.  And you answered my question.  Not that different from USA.

• Like 2

I live in the little town of Châteauguay, province of Quebec, Canada.

To answer the question of Zitsky, this is what I do and what I have observed.

I try to stay at least two meters away from anybody not residing with me, which unfortunately involves my two daughters and members of my extended family.

When I know, going out, that I cannot realistically maintain the two meters distance, for example, at the grocery store, the hardware store, the pharmacy, etc. I « normally » will wear a mask. ( Wearing a mask has not been part of my culture so despite my best efforts, I have unfortunately sometimes forgotten the mask. My apologies!)

When I go out with my dog in the streets of Châteauguay for a walk, I do not wear a mask but stay two meters away from anybody.

What I have recently observed, in grocery stores, and other stores, is that about 60 to 75 percent of people were wearing masks. Of note, wearing a mask in these stores is the recommended practice from our health department.

This said, in the line up at the grocery store, I have recently observed two gestures, which I considered to be idiotic.

The first one from a man in a line up just in front of me, who was not wearing a mask and elected to spit about 4 feet from his position... Normally, I would consider this gesture unappealing, but it takes another dimension during the COVID pandemic

The second, from a man wearing a mask in a line up and directly behind me....smoking with a cigarette coming above his mask at a 45 degree angle.... Nothing really dangerous for me from my position besides the really bad smell, but it raised the question as to why it made sense for him.

Unfortunately, common sense, wisdom or even common understanding of a situation is not universal. What I consider idiotic appear to have made complete sense to these two men.

Nationality, skin, religion, culture don’t really matter.... Perspective difference just happens... which may explain why people make different choices.

• Like 3

I want to go back to Host Anne's topic- How are things where you are?  Let's leave Canada vs USA to hockey ok?

I am very encouraged to report that in my area - suburbs of Philadelphia, southeast PA Montgomery County- we are making progress in re-opening.  We moved on June 5th from Red Phase (restrictive lock down) to Yellow Phase.  Our number of daily new positive cases and hospitalizations and deaths are continuing to decrease.  About 85% of our deaths were from nursing homes and were mostly very elderly residents with other conditions- may they rest in peace.  In Yellow Phase we still are required to wear masks at grocery stores and at any indoor open business and we still have social distancing rules.  But I was able to take my DW our for her birthday at a restaurant with outdoor dining.  First time in over 3 months!  Some dentists are opening.  Our state liquor stores are finally opening with limited access.  We still cannot get a haircut, go to the gym, or attend any indoor events.  But we are now allowed to attend church indoors under very specific rules and personal spacing.  We are hoping our numbers continue on a downward track to get us to Green Phase by July 1.  That would mean a socially distanced haircut for me so I no longer look like an old gray-haired hippie!  I am truly hoping that all of the recent unrest in Philadelphia, including marches in protests in our county and town too, do not set us back or keep us in Yellow indefinitely.  We shall see.

• Like 2