Carnival Mardi Gras January 2021-Is it cancelled?

Allure2020

I booked 2 rooms for the carnival Mardi Gras in January 2021.  The carnival website no longer shows any sailings for this ship in January or February of 2021.  I called Carnival and was told it is “sold out”.  Wondering if there may be a delay in building the ship due to Covid-19.   Wondering if anyone has any insider scoop on this?

28 minutes ago, Allure2020 said:

I booked 2 rooms for the carnival Mardi Gras in January 2021.  The carnival website no longer shows any sailings for this ship in January or February of 2021.  I called Carnival and was told it is “sold out”.  Wondering if there may be a delay in building the ship due to Covid-19.   Wondering if anyone has any insider scoop on this?

Not even sure they know right now.  

• Like 2

I am also concerned about the status of the Mardi Gras. We are booked for the New Years cruise. It seems strange that they are showing no cruises until March 2021 when you search for sailings.  Hope the cruises Nov. - Feb. are sold out and the ship will be ready to cruise this year (since it's already been delayed from the original launch date). Since it's still some months away Carnival may be holding back on taking more reservations until they are sure when the ship will be ready.

24 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I am also concerned about the status of the Mardi Gras. We are booked for the New Years cruise. It seems strange that they are showing no cruises until March 2021 when you search for sailings.  Hope the cruises Nov. - Feb. are sold out and the ship will be ready to cruise this year (since it's already been delayed from the original launch date). Since it's still some months away Carnival may be holding back on taking more reservations until they are sure when the ship will be ready.

They are not holding back for more sales.  The ship sells just fine.  If, and I hope it is a big if, there are delays it will have to do with what is going on in the world right now.  

Don't forget that the first eight cruises were already cancelled and those people re-booked at a later date.  Eight cruises with 6500 passengers =  52,000 people looking for another cruise.  Now add to that the virus and you have people that are booked in the near future that are now cancelling their cruises and booking into the future.  

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Don't forget that the first eight cruises were already cancelled and those people re-booked at a later date.  Eight cruises with 6500 passengers =  52,000 people looking for another cruise.  Now add to that the virus and you have people that are booked in the near future that are now cancelling their cruises and booking into the future.  

Lol, I do not think I will forget as we were scheduled on the first one 8/31/20 and also “still” scheduled on her 1/23/21.  😉 that said, your rationale and math make sense, there is not much good news other than the area where the ship yard is, has been lightly hit.  

I find it kind of unlikely that all the sailings in Jan and Feb 2021 sold out at once. I'm scheduled to go on in February. It still shows up in my Cruise Planner, but not in any searches.

I'm thinking that the status of these sailings are up in the air right now, so they don't want additional people booking until it is decided.

• Like 1

Me too!  All of December, January , and February are missing but mine is also still in my cruise planner.  We booked ours the first weekend in March and there were plenty of rooms still open so clearly something is up unfortunately.

Edited by Allure2020
Addition

14 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I'm sure that not all of the 52,000 rebooked on the Mardi Gras the first few months after the new delivery date. We used our FCC on one of our Radiance cruises in September. We did rebook a cruise on the Mardi Gras,  but not until April 2022. I believe that they are holding back selling more cabins for sailings through March until they determine how and if the virus affects the current delivery date. Why give out FCC and OBC for canceled cruises if you don't have to. 

6 minutes ago, Allure2020 said:

Did they offer a refund?  Or was it only FCC or OBC?  We have only paid the deposits for both rooms so far?

I don't remember if they offered a refund or not. At the time of cancellation we had only paid our deposit. That was transferred as our deposit on the Radiance. Then the 25% FCC ($950), was applied to the booking. Finally, we were given $200 OBC. 

9 minutes ago, Allure2020 said:

Did they offer a refund?  Or was it only FCC or OBC?  We have only paid the deposits for both rooms so far?

On the original cancelled Mardi Gras bookings we received FCC as well as OBC if we re-booked by a certain date. We went ahead and booked for May 2021 same exact cabin, and the prices were even better than our original price. We thought we were safe booking 7 months out, lol. 

On 3/21/2020 at 7:00 PM, Allure2020 said:

Just checked and I see bookings available as early as Nov 14 2020. Not Carnivals website. A major booking website.

2 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I just showed the first cruise. Here are the others for 2020

Nov, 14, 21, 28 Dec 5, 12, 19, 26 and then into 2021

Where are you seeing these?  Not on the carnival site.  When I called Carnival I was told it was sold out and not chartered.  She was very quick to get me off the phone.

Carnivals site only shows for 2021 nothing for 2020

2021 Mar 27, April 3, 10, 17 Nov 27 then Dec 4 & 18

CC will not allow for me to give your the site. I wish I could.

2 minutes ago, Allure2020 said:

Where are you seeing these?  Not on the carnival site.  When I called Carnival I was told it was sold out and not chartered.  She was very quick to get me off the phone.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:20 AM, 40yearcruiser said:

My exact feelings too.

23 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do nor know that to be a fact. 

You are right that it is not a fact until it comes from Carnival (even then, it still may not be). It just seems highly unlikely that in this time of uncertainty, a cruise ship would sell out a year in advance. I looked at Mardi Gras cruises within the past week, and there was plenty of options available. The only logical explanation I could think of is that all of these people with cancels jumped to early next year on that specific ship. Still seems unlikely to me. It's also possible that the ship is being delayed again.