For Amsterdam WC passengers getting off/getting home and beyond

cruzingnut

6 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

There are still , non american, passengers of Amsterdam in Freemantle unable to get flights home as they cannot go nonstop and carriers are refusing non native passengers. Ie, only repatriating their own.

They are stuck.

do you know that for sure or just guessing?

2 hours ago, boards said:

do you know that for sure or just guessing?

No for sure. They had a SIA flight via Singapore to Amsterdam, but were refused for not being Singaporians.

They are dutch, so there FB post is in dutch, but here you go.

https://www.*****/HappyCruisers/permalink/3047943601929247/ 

Fot the stars insert  *****

Aargh, unable to use that word here . Unabreviate fb

fb.com/groups

Edited by jakkojakko
Link
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Floridiana said:

Not a good situation, but I hope they can find a hotel that doesn't t close down. We were on a ship that ended her cruise after 8 days instead of 36 in Rio de Janeiro last week. One couple from Guam decided to return via Germany, Taiwan, Tokyo. I hope they made it back home in time. We were lucky we could fly back to Miami, just one flight. We also had passengers who insisted to remain on the ship, no medical reasons just "convenience". They were not permitted.

If you made it back home, count your blessings. 

No hotels closed. They were able to rent an appartment for te time being.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tampa Girl said:

Besides, you do have a 125% FCC or 100% cash back, I believe.  It seems to me that HAL has made every attempt to make you whole.

Refund option is NOT 100% cash back, but 50% cash plus 50% FCC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fredspak said:

We were told at the Perth airport that US passengers would not be allowed to transfer flight through New Zealand.  

NZ is currently closed to everyone with the exception of citizens and returning visa holders including transit pax of all nationalities.   Details: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/border-closures-and-exceptions Scott. 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

1 minute ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am back in San Diego.   Uneventful flights.   Long Flight from SYD to SFO full.  Flight from SFO to SAN - a total of 10 people.  U 

Need to get my cars jumped but otherwise OK.

Glad you made it home! 

Arrived home Momday night after about 47 hours of travel. Our last leg to Charleston was canceled twice but the third option got us there by first going to Charlotte then Charleston.  So good to be home. Our family had everything stocked that we needed and now that we have our Buddy dog back, we are set for our 14 day stay at home.

Loved going to Australia on the ship, but we would never be tempted to go by air again!

• Like 4

On 3/23/2020 at 9:22 PM, mame42 said:

Exhausted, but safely home for a two week quarantine.  More details tomorrow.  Dined on jambalaya, red wine, and dark chocolate, left in the fridge by a wonderful neighbor.

Lonny, I’m so happy to hear you’re home and safe - as we finally are!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

NZ is currently closed to everyone with the exception of citizens and returning visa holders including transit pax of all nationalities.   Details: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/border-closures-and-exceptions Scott. 

Is it still open to Pacific Islanders?  Do they have a special visa status?

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I am back in San Diego.   Uneventful flights.   Long Flight from SYD to SFO full.  Flight from SFO to SAN - a total of 10 people.  U 

Need to get my cars jumped but otherwise OK.

Welcome Home!

On 3/23/2020 at 4:32 PM, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I know.  I follow a number of WC blogs.  I think that is why the Federal Government over ruled the State Government, as it was low risk any of the passengers would have had the virus.  I haven't had a chance to check how many days from their last port of call in Australia and their arrival in Fremantle?  Smart move by Amsterdam to cancel all ports from Darwin.

It was actually 9 days after we left Cairns. The risk of getting the virus would have been in Sydney, not Townsville or Cairns. And it was 16 days after leaving Sydney.

38 minutes ago, Charleston Lady said:

Arrived home Momday night after about 47 hours of travel. Our last leg to Charleston was canceled twice but the third option got us there by first going to Charlotte then Charleston.  So good to be home. Our family had everything stocked that we needed and now that we have our Buddy dog back, we are set for our 14 day stay at home.

Loved going to Australia on the ship, but we would never be tempted to go by air again!

Wow 47 hours of travel to US from Perth.  That has to be a record!  When I was young you travelled overseas, usually for a year, by ship.  My first overseas trip to Europe by air was 30 hours.  Lesson learnt that you must check route and flight lengths.  After that experience I learnt stopovers en route were the secret to enjoying the journey.  As a result we have holidayed at most South Pacific islands, some like Hawaii many times.  Once we flew non stopping economy from Brisbane/Sydney to London on North West airlines with double points.  That earned us our first return business class flights to Japan for family of 4.  Wow I travel business class, with wheelchair assistance en route - highlights are showers and fresh fruit!  

33 minutes ago, Storylady said:

It was actually 9 days after we left Cairns. The risk of getting the virus would have been in Sydney, not Townsville or Cairns. And it was 16 days after leaving Sydney.

This virus is sneaky!  Both Townsville and Cairns now have one case each.  As at 23/3.  I don't know when these cases were identified,  but maybe luck was on Captain Jonathan's side.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 7:09 PM, WriterOnDeck said:

And thanks for starting this thread. I was updating on Facebook and now on my blog (www.WriterOnDeck.com), so will just say here briefly that we had a long but uneventful day or so getting back to Dallas. I'm thankful to be one who can't stay awake on a plane so I mostly slept.

I know we all have a lot of processing left to do. And my sister Elaine and I are self-isolating at home for 2 weeks to be absolutely sure we haven't contracted the virus in our travels. I hope others are doing the same.

Thanks for following us -- I really appreciate all the comments on my blog. This is a wonderful community.

Jo, it was great talking to you at Coffee Chat. Glad you and your sister made it home safely. We also made it home safely. Long wait in Perth and long wait in Tokyo. I was also concerned about flying home. But when we started running out of food and spinach was being served as a vegetable several times plus the two medical emergencies, I knew it was time to get real.

We chose to leave at the end, March 23rd which was Monday. We were the last 200 passengers to leave the Amsterdam. I almost cried when I saw the incredible staff waiting to say goodbye. I thought Glenn-Michael, Diamantina, Chandra and the rest of the shore exc department who pitched in to help the front desk staff did such an incredible job under trying and stressful circumstances that I grabbed my phone to take photo, probably holding up the line. I even missed seeing the Captain.

Alan and I consider ourselves the lucky ones. I had enough miles for business class on ANA to Tokyo and then LAX which I was dreading. I had been saving them for a long flight of more than 10 hours. Being on the ANA flight after waiting in the Perth airport was like being on the Amsterdam as most of the passengers were from the Amsterdam. ANA recycled the air every 30 minutes. The ANA stewardesses did a fantastic job of taking care of us. Everyone of them wore mask and latex gloves which they changed often. Most of us went to sleep right away.

We then had an 8 1/2 hour layover in Tokyo. As for getting the virus there, it would have been difficult. The lounge was a ghost town. There were more ANA staff than passengers. They were all wearing masks. And one was stationed at entrance to the food with a bottle of disinfectant. Someone in a plastic suit cleaned the restrooms frequently. Every time I used the restrooms, no one was there. Loved their toilets.

Flight to LAX was just as good. There were 46 business class seats with only 9 passengers. We had two stewardesses serving us our dinner. And it was definitely 5-star service.

Arriving at LAX, it was a ghost town also. Not only could you keep a six foot distance, it was actually quite a bit more. I was dreading passport and custom lines. I was sure, here is where we get the bug. We were about the only one in line. It took longer to walk from the machine to the agent than our wait to see one. I knew a lot of passengers thought we should have returned home sooner, but having such a late arrival cleared the airports of most of the people we should have normally encountered.

We thought the staff of the Amsterdam did a phenomenal job. This was an unprecedented situation. And we personally thought it was the correct decision even though we would have enjoyed staying onboard. Not only did they work hard trying to help everyone, but our TA hosts, Steve and Wendy were rock stars. Hope to see you on a future cruise. We could have  party of those who ended the cruise in Fremantle.

Our total time from the ship to home was 41 hours. I went to bed yesterday afternoon and didn’t get up until late this morning. I was making up for all the missing and interrupted sleep. My DH woke at 3 AM this morning. But he crashed early this evening. 

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

This virus is sneaky!  Both Townsville and Cairns now have one case each.  As at 23/3.  I don't know when these cases were identified,  but maybe luck was on Captain Jonathan's side.  

And you just explained why our plane was delayed leaving Melbourne on the morning of the 24 while they debated removing us or not. Also by then Captain Jonathan had all his passengers ashore and had left Fremantle. Good luck indeed!

21 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

There are still , non american, passengers of Amsterdam in Freemantle unable to get flights home as they cannot go nonstop and carriers are refusing non native passengers. Ie, only repatriating their own.

They are stuck.

Well one, Dutch couple we have cruised with several time left Perth on Monday on Qatar for Doha. Not sure what their connection was after that. They were traveling with 8 suitcases which was costing them a fortune. Hope they made it.

Edited by Storylady

4 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Well one, Dutch couple we have cruised with several time left Perth on Monday on Qatar for Doha. Not sure what their connection was after that. They were traveling with 8 suitcases which was costing them a fortune. Hope they made it.

They were probably lucky to get a flight.  Love Qatar.  But imagine changing planes and going through Doha with 8 suitcases.  Maybe they were able to book their luggage through to Holland.  

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Lonny, I’m so happy to hear you’re home and safe - as we finally are!

Thank you!  I am glad to hear you made it home safely.  When I have my glass of wine this evening, I will raise a glass to you and the rest of the Sip and Savor habituees.  Speaking of wine, friends and neighbors stocked my condo with a dozen bottles to see me through the quarantine; however, no one thought of milk.  I wonder how Cheerios taste with red wine???

• Like 5
  • Haha 4