Is cruising finished with travel insurance now excluding CV19?

Pentlands

Jean

Just a quick note re doctors note.

If you travel to Antarctica you will be asked to provide a note from your doctor stating you are fit to travel. We have done 2 expedition cruises from Ushuaia (Argentina) to Antarctica and I urge everyone to save up and go, but it is not cheap.

Anyway the doctor’s note costs around £40 from your GP. And everyone has to get this, not just the over 70s.

1 hour ago, Shirlthesinger said:

Well firstly you would need the government to lift it's advice about over 70s going on cruises!  Until they do, it's a no-no.

I would expect that will be lifted once the govt feel that the worst is over, and any new outbreak is likely to be minor, so I do't believe it become a permanent feature.

Similarly I expect about the same time that travel insurance providers will begin to relax their current exclusions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I would expect that will be lifted once the govt feel that the worst is over, and any new outbreak is likely to be minor, so I do't believe it become a permanent feature.

Similarly I expect about the same time that travel insurance providers will begin to relax their current exclusions. 

Totally agree. This was only ever short term measure. 

Our policy was renewed yesterday and it had a section dealing with advise about coronavirus. Most was to contact suppliers or TA regarding cancellations. However it did state if you become poorly on holiday you can claim.

Edited by happy v

I belong to a group travel insurance scheme through AXA PPP. It is quite expensive but as long as it is purchased before you are 85 it continues all the time you are fit to travel and no medical screening is required.

Sounds too good to be true eh?

I got the renewal today, and it really made my eyes water, but as I have only one cruise left, which is in August 2020, I decided to ring up and cancel the renewal until nearer the time as the premium is many times higher than the deposit. The lady from AXA told me that if I didn't take out the renewal I couldn't join later as they are getting out of travel insurance pretty damned soon.

I cancelled the renewal and will wait to see what the future holds.......or doesn't☹️

19 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

I belong to a group travel insurance scheme through AXA PPP. It is quite expensive but as long as it is purchased before you are 85 it continues all the time you are fit to travel and no medical screening is required.

Sounds too good to be true eh?

I got the renewal today, and it really made my eyes water, but as I have only one cruise left, which is in August 2020, I decided to ring up and cancel the renewal until nearer the time as the premium is many times higher than the deposit. The lady from AXA told me that if I didn't take out the renewal I couldn't join later as they are getting out of travel insurance pretty damned soon.

I cancelled the renewal and will wait to see what the future holds.......or doesn't☹️

Perhaps the cruises companies could provide cover. It could be something you could pay for from the OBC.😁

9 hours ago, Pentlands said:

Saga does

But I don't believe it is any more preferential than any other travel insurance, and you would still need to advise any pre-existing conditions, and I imagine Saga Insurance will still apply industry standard Covid19 exclusions.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But I don't believe it is any more preferential than any other travel insurance, and you would still need to advise any pre-existing conditions, and I imagine Saga Insurance will still apply industry standard Covid19 exclusions.

SAGA do indeed ask about any pre existing conditions and charge extra, even on the policy included by them on their holidays. 

At the moment pandemic cover is included in their insurance policy, that will probably change.

8 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

SAGA do indeed ask about any pre existing conditions and charge extra, even on the policy included by them on their holidays. 

At the moment pandemic cover is included in their insurance policy, that will probably change.

The following statement is from Saga's website.

Saga Holidays Optional Included Travel Insurance (purchased with your Saga holiday or cruise)

Please note, if you have purchased the optional Saga Holidays Travel Insurance with your holiday or cruise after 00:01am on Friday 3rd April, 2020, the following applies:

Your Saga Holidays Travel Insurance policy will not provide cover for any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), or any mutation of.

If you unfortunately become hospitalised as a result of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), as part of your holiday booking, Saga Holidays will assist with your repatriation to the UK.

Presumably whilst Saga would "assist with your repatriation" it would be at your own expense.

2 minutes ago, Denarius said:

The following statement is from Saga's website.

Saga Holidays Optional Included Travel Insurance (purchased with your Saga holiday or cruise)

Please note, if you have purchased the optional Saga Holidays Travel Insurance with your holiday or cruise after 00:01am on Friday 3rd April, 2020, the following applies:

Your Saga Holidays Travel Insurance policy will not provide cover for any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), or any mutation of.

If you unfortunately become hospitalised as a result of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), as part of your holiday booking, Saga Holidays will assist with your repatriation to the UK.

Presumably whilst Saga would "assist with your repatriation" it would be at your own expense.

That didn’t take long! Thankfully I have annual cover.

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

That didn’t take long! Thankfully I have annual cover.

I think we just have to accept Eglesbrech that most companies are going to try to mitigate any potential losses from Covid 19, whether that is applying exemptions like insurance companies, or slowing down refunds like travel companies.  Yes some of these will be against current legislation, but even if this is not amended by govts, I doubt that they will be prosecuted, especially if the alternative to their action is liquidation and massive job losses.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

I think we just have to accept Eglesbrech that most companies are going to try to mitigate any potential losses from Covid 19, whether that is applying exemptions like insurance companies, or slowing down refunds like travel companies.  Yes some of these will be against current legislation, but even if this is not amended by govts, I doubt that they will be prosecuted, especially if the alternative to their action is liquidation and massive job losses.

Oh I’m not surprised by the insurance changes at all. For new customers it seems a sensible business move.

With regard to a potential prosecution you may well be correct however Which is lobbying for consumers as a counterpoint to ABTA.

Got saga quote in early march for annual policy that would cover our world cruise on Arcadia next January then again last week nearly - £1500 without COVID cover!!!! Obviously wish I had taken it earlier but now just waiting for developments. If the situation stayed the same would P&O allow us to travel without full medical cover? Its a nightmare just another thing to worry about.

I hope P&O make some earlier decision if this world cruise is going ahead but I doubt it! It will likely be yes its all going ahead give us your remaining balance approach, cancel,  then wait 60 days for our money.

2 minutes ago, purple2436 said:

Got saga quote in early march for annual policy that would cover our world cruise on Arcadia next January then again last week nearly - £1500 without COVID cover!!!! Obviously wish I had taken it earlier but now just waiting for developments. If the situation stayed the same would P&O allow us to travel without full medical cover? Its a nightmare just another thing to worry about.

I hope P&O make some earlier decision if this world cruise is going ahead but I doubt it! It will likely be yes its all going ahead give us your remaining balance approach, cancel,  then wait 60 days for our money.

You want them to make a decision on a cruise that departs in January?!?

30 minutes ago, purple2436 said:

I am in a similar situation to you, having booked the middle sector of World Cruise.  As i have an annual travel policy, I have not yet got insurance for next January, so it will be interesting to see what happens.  I am hoping that the situation will become a lot clearer by November when the balance is due.

I hope that next year's worldie goes ahead but I am definitely not certain that it will.  Even if the virus situation has totally eased by then, I wonder if P&O will want to risk another World Cruise so soon - although I believe some on the current one have recently booked sectors of next year's.  I don't suppose however that P&O has made any firm decision on next year anyway.

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

I am in a similar situation to you, having booked the middle sector of World Cruise.  As i have an annual travel policy, I have not yet got insurance for next January, so it will be interesting to see what happens.  I am hoping that the situation will become a lot clearer by November when the balance is due.

I hope that next year's worldie goes ahead but I am definitely not certain that it will.  Even if the virus situation has totally eased by then, I wonder if P&O will want to risk another World Cruise so soon - although I believe some on the current one have recently booked sectors of next year's.  I don't suppose however that P&O has made any firm decision on next year anyway.