What do we think of June?

10 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Wow

Tell me how many countries of over 300 million people are as advanced as the United States?  Our system is not perfect but it is way ahead of both Russia, China, and India.  To compare the US to South Korea, Singapore, or even Canada is not relevant due to scale as well as culture.

• Like 1

Here in GA, we have 600 "reported" cases", with only 23 deaths.  Imagine how many were mild and not reported.

On Sat, there were 555 reported by Sunday ,600, that is very small increase.  This is somewhat encouraging to me.🤔

4 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Here in GA, we have 600 "reported" cases", with only 23 deaths.  Imagine how many were mild and not reported.

On Sat, there were 555 reported by Sunday ,600, that is very small increase.  This is somewhat encouraging to me.🤔

Reported cases is relevant but must be taken with a grain of salt.  If we were testing significantly and consistently from day 1 then it would be quite telling.  The reality is that major testing has really just begun in the last week.

We obviously want the reported cases to diminish to zero but it is the number of hospitalizations that really tell us if we are making progress.  Some require 4 weeks of hospitalization but some recover quickly.  The number of folks currently in the hospital vs the system capacity is the real telling stat but we never seem to see that.

The MSM loves to show front line anecdotes which can paint a very grim picture.  Like interviewing the soldier in the trenches without understanding what the strategic objectives of the battle are and if they are being achieved.  One is about a feeling instead of an understanding.

Sorry for the rant as I agree that I will take any good news I can get

• Like 2

So, consensus is that there will be no June sailings. I'm booked on a June 28th sailing and my balance for my family is due next week. I'm trying to decide whether to pay the $5,000+ balance and take the FCC and lose my deposit/travel ins or pay it.

One of the things I'm wondering about is the availability of cruises in 2021. Will everyone with FCC be scrambling to use these credits. Will people be scared to cruise and therefore inventory will be plentiful? 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jodi

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarolinaNewbie said:

So, consensus is that there will be no June sailings. I'm booked on a June 28th sailing and my balance for my family is due next week. I'm trying to decide whether to pay the $5,000+ balance and take the FCC and lose my deposit/travel ins or pay it.

One of the things I'm wondering about is the availability of cruises in 2021. Will everyone with FCC be scrambling to use these credits. Will people be scared to cruise and therefore inventory will be plentiful? 

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jodi

I would not pay the balance; keep as much of your cash yours right now.  When cruising resumes you can rebook when/where/price you want to. 

I don't think the FCC use by 2021 is going to be a significant issue aside from unique itineraries. Many people won't want to cruise, some won't be able to, some won't be able to afford to, etc.  I would be surprised if even 50% of FCC's end up being redeemed 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarolinaNewbie said:

So, consensus is that there will be no June sailings.

The cruise lines are the only ones that can make that call (unless the Gov steps in).  They desperately want to get back to sea so I would guess they will hit the go pedal as soon as possible.  

If I had to bet money I would say they will sail by then with heavy screening and restrictions.  Especially in the tropics.  Alaska?  Different story.

By the then the fear of spread will be gone and it will be more about treatment.  Much like a normal flu season.  Just my opinion which is far from expert (don't want to come off as a Holiday Inn Express know-it-all)

Just now, Bradison said:

The cruise lines are the only ones that can make that call (unless the Gov steps in).  They desperately want to get back to sea so I would guess they will hit the go pedal as soon as possible.  

If I had to bet money I would say they will sail by then with heavy screening and restrictions.  Especially in the tropics.  Alaska?  Different story.

By the then the fear of spread will be gone and it will be more about treatment.  Much like a normal flu season.  Just my opinion which is far from expert (don't want to come off as a Holiday Inn Express know-it-all)

I believe as badly as the islands rely on tourism income many are not going to allow ships back that soon.  Just my opinion on it. Who is right or wrong, only time will tell.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bradison said:

Tell me how many countries of over 300 million people are as advanced as the United States?  Our system is not perfect but it is way ahead of both Russia, China, and India.  To compare the US to South Korea, Singapore, or even Canada is not relevant due to scale as well as culture.

Well for one thing the other countries didn't think this was a hoax and reacted buy buying up all of the ventilators, masks and gloves. Now we have states and hospitals out bidding each other for supplies. As stated many times on these threads my wife works for a major NYC hospital it's a bad situation for supplies.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CarolinaNewbie said:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jodi

I did some trial bookings and I was not seeing many  if any price drops on the Carib cruises. I had actually looked for a suite and one cruise was showing and Aqua suite at 9000$ ish.  Oiy vey, refund hoping for my April 12 cruise?

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I believe as badly as the islands rely on tourism income many are not going to allow ships back that soon.  Just my opinion on it. Who is right or wrong, only time will tell.

Those Caribbean Islands have their hands full with hurricane and earthquake damage. If New York is struggling with providing health care could you imagine what havoc would come to these Islands who don't have the facilities that we have?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Those Caribbean Islands have their hands full with hurricane and earthquake damage. If New York is struggling with providing health care could you imagine what havoc would come to these Islands who don't have the facilities that we have?

It would decimate them; never to be recovered from.  Truly on an island to fend for themselves.  They really can't afford the risk.  

• Like 1

We had a cruise scheduled in June on harmony but cancelled because we didnt want $7k wrapped up in RCL.  We would still like to go this summer and if they do start sailing, we will just buy the tickets a week or two prior to the sail date.  Im going to take a wild guess that they wont be sold out...  The cabins we had on the june cruise have already dropped $1200 each.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bradison said:

Screening won't help as someone may be carrying the virus and may not be presenting symptoms. My wife was exposed to Corvid-19 on March 13. We have been on self quarantine since then. She can't even be tested unless she has the criteria of symptoms and she works for a hospital.   

Edited by Iamcruzin

6 minutes ago, 20165 said:

We had a cruise scheduled in June on harmony but cancelled because we didnt want $7k wrapped up in RCL.  We would still like to go this summer and if they do start sailing, we will just buy the tickets a week or two prior to the sail date.  Im going to take a wild guess that they wont be sold out...  The cabins we had on the june cruise have already dropped $1200 each.

Yes, this! We're booked on Harmony June 28th and I'm wondering the same. If I cancel and they do sail, potentially the savings could be more than the lost deposit. And my travel insurance just might carry over since it would be the same travel dates.

13 minutes ago, mugtech said:

And she's not the VP.

If push came to shove she could have the physician she works for to push it through and since she is an employee she would have the results back in 24hrs. However, She would have to travel to Manhattan. Since she is working from home she called the test site that the state of New York set up and she didn't meet the criteria of high fever and respiratory issues.  There is still a shortage of tests and they are giving to those who have symptoms.  She/we have 5 more days of quarantine. So far so good. Not that we can go out but at least there will be peace of mind that we are in the clear for now.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Judyrem said:

I’m in NJ, on our towns Facebook page a woman (a nurse) is begging those with sewing machines to make masks for her hospital. My SIL just asked me to order groceries online for my IL’s because as a nurse she is working 14 hour shifts 7 days a week, and says they will not survive this virus, she hasn’t seen anything like it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CarolinaNewbie said:

Yes, this! We're booked on Harmony June 28th and I'm wondering the same. If I cancel and they do sail, potentially the savings could be more than the lost deposit. And my travel insurance just might carry over since it would be the same travel dates.

oh yes, we have more than made up for the money that we lost on the deposit but cancelling and potentially rebooking at the lower price.

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

But why are we one of the few countries left that has no border restrictions? We are still fully open to enter the UK. Most countries have either restrictions to their nationals only, so they can return home, compulsory isolation for 14 days after returning or complete closure of borders. We have nothing, no testing, nothing. I am sure it will change and soon, but too little  too late in my opinion. And why this weekend, after recommendations that people practice social distancing, were the parks and public gardens, beaches etc crowded with people. 

I'm sad to report that someone rang Radio Stoke, today, begging for help. Their neighbour has just returned from a 3 week holiday in Spain and is refusing to self isolate and  of course there is nothing that can be done about this selfish person.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CarolinaNewbie said:

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jodi

Go look at prices. Look a couple of days.

Out of Galveston prices have gone up. 

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

Any chance of May 31 cruise from Galveston sailing?   If ship doesn’t sail how early would RCCL make the call to not sail?

Good chance it will be over a month.

Cruises cancelled thru april 10.

So before april 10th they will cancel another 30 days. Which will miss your date

So if you get cancelled ... I'd guess over a month from now

Think of the incredible expansion of this disease since it was first characterized as a hoax by certain "interests." I believe there will be no chance of summer sailings, whether it be conditions here or in the ports of call. 

I have one May cruise that I have canceled and await the FCC. I have October and February bookings and will make the decision about canceling near the payment due date. Luckily, they were booked Next Cruise for a lower deposit. I have a November cruise rescheduled due to my canceling a cruise this past February 8; they have full payment for that already.      I won't tie up any new money in bookings; both the medical and economic factors are too tenuous.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Good chance it will be over a month.

Cruises cancelled thru april 10.

So before april 10th they will cancel another 30 days. Which will miss your date

So if you get cancelled ... I'd guess over a month from now

I don’t see this ending well.  My guess, from East Texas, is maybe cruises will be sailing in September.  Maybe.  My final answer.

I have a June 27th Greek Isle sailing leaving from Venice..

$500 deposit has been paid and the final payment of $900 is due this week. Trying to decide whether to cancel now and take a $500 FCC or make the final payment and ride it out. 

If I make the final payment, any of these scenarios would be considered good news:

* Greece cruise leaves as planned 

* Greece cruise gets canceled and I get a credit card refund 

* Greece cruise gets canceled / or we can’t get there due to border restrictions and we switch our sailing to Caribbean that same date 

Long story short, I’m optimistic one of those 3 scenerios are possible. If all 3 of those aren’t, then guess I’m stuck with a $1,500 FCC to use who knows when! 

• Like 1