Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

Was there no US Navy ship in Panama who could meet the ship faster and bunker fuel for them?  Just thinking outside the box here.  

As for the 300+ ill - I really don't care how many are ill.  All those onboard need to be quarantined when they disembark, wherever that may be.  Florida is experiencing very rapid growth in the number of cases of COVID-19; they need to worry about and take care of their residents.  The Feds need to step us to quarantine and treat the ship passengers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You are missing the point. This is already being done in other states. It CAN be done. It just takes the emergency folks to enact the plan.

Again, our hospitals CAN NOT HANDLE these people.  We are already at a breaking point and aren't even close to peaking.  Another 200+ cases since yesterday.  They need to proceed to a place where emergency services aren't already stretched to the breaking point.  

And NO ONE can FORCE a private business to open.  That's not the way it works.  Sending this ship to Florida is not a viable option.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Are they saying now 300+ ill on Zaandam?

I'm sorry, it was a typo--I was thinking about the growth in cases in Florida so far this week.  There are however 42 reported sick between passengers and crew.  And again, we can't care for them in Florida.  Our hospitals are full.  

Edited by ducklite

Just now from HAL’s Facebook page:

UPDATE March 24 (11:20am PT/2:20pm ET): As all ports along Zaandam’s route are closed to cruise ships, Holland America Line has deployed Rotterdam to rendezvous with Zaandam and provide extra supplies, staff, COVID-19 test kits and other support as needed. Carrying 611 crew and no guests, Rotterdam departed Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, at 3 p.m. local time on March 22 and the current schedule is for the two ships to meet by the evening of March 26 off the coast of Panama.

Our intention is to proceed to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for arrival on March 30, however plans are still being finalized. Alternative options also are being developed. No one has been off the ship since March 14 in Punta Arenas, Chile. 

Complimentary telephone counseling services from our care partner, Empathia, have been made available to guests and crew if they would like extra support during this time. For those with family members on board, they can call the following numbers for information: 1-877-425-2231 or 1-206-626-7398

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Was there no US Navy ship in Panama who could meet the ship faster and bunker fuel for them?  Just thinking outside the box here.  

Bunkering fuel is not the issue here.  If it were, doing an unrep (underway replenishment) is NOT an option in any event.   That’s a perilous evolution under the best of circumstances.  You certainly don’t do it on a passsenger ship full of passengers.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Oh my,  I suspect you did not read the post to which I had responded.

Hank

No, I had not read it, but I guess that means that you were being funny.  Good, so my comments do not pertain to you.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

As for the 300+ ill - I really don't care how many are ill.  All those onboard need to be quarantined when they disembark, wherever that may be.  Florida is experiencing very rapid growth in the number of cases of COVID-19; they need to worry about and take care of their residents.  The Feds need to step us to quarantine and treat the ship passengers.

I was told by pax onboard that they filled up with fuel in chile a few days back.  There are 42 showing flu symptons.

1 minute ago, dockman said:

I was told by pax onboard that they filled up with fuel in chile a few days back.  There are 42 showing flu symptons.

As now this information is 48-60 hours old; has there been any development with the 42? Worsening, improving? Has the number grown? 

1 hour ago, voyageur9 said:

Rotterdam is now up to 23.7 knots (27 mph or 44 km/hr) course 118 along the coast so it does appear a rendezvous off Balboa is most likely in about 50 hours.

Awesome that the crew signed on for this rescue mission. Www.captainalbert.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max2003 said:

My guess is that they will try a rendezvous in Balboa if they are allowed to tie up.   Distances from current position seem about the same.

A more likely scenario, off Fuerte Amador, Panama, a tender port, to use a ship's tender to transfer (Oosterdam, Eurodam & Rotterdam) medical staff as well as supplies to Zaandam in order to assist her medical staff

• Like 7

Just now, LMaxwell said:

As now this information is 48-60 hours old; has there been any development with the 42? Worsening, improving? Has the number grown? 

As of about 3 hours ago when i was texting with my brother that was his knowledge as to pax sick. 42.  Maybe he doesn't know or isn't told but that is what he just said and he is there.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

They are closed.  By order of the Governor. They can't legally reopen. And no one in their right mind wants a bunch of people who have been exposed in their hotels.  We can't get food for the people who live here (shelves are bare) and we're certainly not going to open a hotel and have to feed 2000 more exposed people via room service--restaurants can't open.

I don't know where you are getting all your information.  There is no present order of our governor to close down non-essential businesses (such as hotel), https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-governor-wants-to-avoid-statewide-coronavirus-shutdown/2209714/.  I do not know that our hospitals are already full to capacity.  The mayor of Tampa has issued a "stay at home" order, effective at some yet-to-be-disclosed date, but has not closed down hotels or other non-essential businesses.  Hillsborough County, of which the city of Tampa is a part, has issued no orders.

Frankly, your insistence that Florida cannot repatriate our own U.S. citizens for the reasons that you state are simply unsubstantiated.  Just where do you think these passengers should go?  The Zaandam cannot simply float around the ocean for weeks or months until the infections level becomes manageable by whatever criteria you are using.  And quarantining them on the ship, ala the Diamond Princess, has obviously only proliferated the virus.  

This Floridian will welcome the Zaandam passengers.  We either have or will have the necessary facilities and supplies to assure that any COVID.19 passengers are safely quarantined.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A more likely scenario, off Fuerte Amador, Panama, a tender port, to use a ship's tender to transfer (Oosterdam, Eurodam & Rotterdam) medical staff as well as supplies to Zaandam in order to assist her medical staff

Bravo Zulu        image.png.b52410709b4f465dbdf9e6c7c6109e95.pngimage.png.b39e8bf96fbbec71c3f4df52e18923e5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dockman said:

As of about 3 hours ago when i was texting with my brother that was his knowledge as to pax sick. 42.  Maybe he doesn't know or isn't told but that is what he just said and he is there.

Thanks for the updates.  I hope the situation works out for your brother and all onboard. 

It's like a Tom Clancy novel unfolding in front of my eyes. 

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

There is no present order of our governor to close down non-essential businesses (such as hotel), https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/florida-governor-wants-to-avoid-statewide-coronavirus-shutdown/2209714/.  I do not know that our hospitals are already full to capacity.  The mayor of Tampa has issued a "stay at home" order, effective at some yet-to-be-disclosed date, but has not closed down hotels or other non-essential businesses.  Hillsborough County, of which the city of Tampa is a part, has issued no orders.

Cities and counties in FL make their decision as to what is closed. Hotels in southeast Florida (Miami-Dade County and the Keys) have been ordered closed to incoming guests. Field hospitals are ready to be deployed as needed - the one here in Ocala is still waiting for orders. Alachua County (Gainesville, U of Florida) has a stay-at-home order and some cities (eg Orlando) have a 11PM-5AM curfew.

Those flying from the NYC area to anywhere in FL are to self-quarantine - no requirement for those arriving by car, train or ship.

• Like 1

Here is a link to the National Association Of Counties map that is being regularly updated.  It shows the level of restrictions for all counties and the state and FEMA declarations of emergency or other.  Currently Broward Co (FLL) shows an Emergency Declaration, not a Business Closure Policy nor a Shelter in Place Policy.  Seems they are open for business now, no one knows what will be tomorrow or next week.

https://ce.naco.org/?dset=COVID-19&ind=Emergency Declaration Types 

Maureen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Here is a link to the National Association Of Counties map that is being regularly updated.  It shows the level of restrictions for all counties and the state and FEMA declarations of emergency or other.  Currently Broward Co (FLL) shows an Emergency Declaration, not a Business Closure Policy nor a Shelter in Place Policy.  Seems they are open for business now, no one knows what will be tomorrow or next week.

https://ce.naco.org/?dset=COVID-19&ind=Emergency Declaration Types 

Maureen

I am employed in Broward County and can assure you non-essential business has been ordered closed. 

https://wsvn.com/news/local/broward/broward-county-closes-non-essential-businesses-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

On 3/23/2020 at 8:13 AM, Hlitner said:

OMG!  Do you think a HAL physician or nurse can tell the difference between food poisoning and "flu like symptoms?"  

Hank

Of coursed they could.  They are very different.  The sick bay is staffed with ICU/ER level qualified physicians and registered nurses. 

<source...am a nurse, chatted with an RN on a previous HAL cruise when young son needed some minor attention, and have looked at their job website for healthcare professionals>

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

Again, our hospitals CAN NOT HANDLE these people.  We are already at a breaking point and aren't even close to peaking.  Another 200+ cases since yesterday.  They need to proceed to a place where emergency services aren't already stretched to the breaking point.  

And NO ONE can FORCE a private business to open.  That's not the way it works.  Sending this ship to Florida is not a viable option.

Stop spreading false information and hysteria. I am in Florida and you must be listening to fake news or just prone to panicking. Orlando hospitals are not near the breaking point yet. We are in better shape to help than many others at the moment.

You would feel differently if you were one of the passengers. Just hope they will be okay.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2