Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is pure speculation on my part, but I have a feeling, if a Panama Canal transit remains a no go, you will see a repeat of the Grand Princess (still anchored off Hunters Point in San Francisco Bay as we speak) experience with a voyage by Zaandam to a U.S. west coast port (or naval base) like Oakland, following the same protocol as said Princess ship; serious cases to hospitals, U.S. pax transported (by chartered or military aircraft) to, and quarantined at, U.S. military installations like Travis AFB, CA, MCAS Miramar, CA, Dobbins AFB, GA and Lackland AFB, TX, the personnel and staff there having gained valuable experience and expertise with the Grand Princess pax; foreign nationals being flown home on chartered aircraft for quarantine there, and crew quarantined onboard their ship for two weeks while receiving medical assistance if required. Time will tell

Copper

Good to hear your reassuring voice on this thread.    I think people are beginning to see the gravity and the need for compassion!

BZ

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Great news about the transit permission! It will take them three days to reach South Florida, as opposed to/double that to reach So Cal 🙂

Copper wonder how soon Zaandam could go through and also what about Rotterdam.

When her cruise was halted in PV she was supposed to be doing a canal cruise to Ft. Lauderdale. Hope everything is OK for you out on the left Coast. I don't remember which cruise we were doing but we did actually share a table with you one night in the dining room. I remember somehow based on our conversations I asked if you were copper10-8 and you said yes.

Thank you for all the info you have been sharing. Also especially helping Kindergirl as I was doing it from our end at TPA. Mission accomplished Monday night. All of it became reality when I  was outside watching them fly right over us. Now hoping for the best involving Zaandam & Rotterdam. We did the maiden Voyage of the Zaandam and were on the Rotterdam trans Atlantic in 04 during the run in involving Hurricane Karl.

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Great news about the transit permission! It will take them three days to reach South Florida, as opposed to/double that to reach So Cal 🙂

Do you know if the rotterdam transfer of passengers is complete yet?  Also do you think Rotterdam will also head for florida or to san diego?  Txs.

3 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked and answered many times, but how on earth is the Rotterdam supposed to accommodate the people from the Zaandam?

There are no passengers on the Rotterdam, she was laid up in Puerto Vallarta with only crew on board.  There is plenty of room on her for those transferred from the Zaandam.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

Apologies for asking a question that has probably been asked and answered many times, but how on earth is the Rotterdam supposed to accommodate the people from the Zaandam?

Inside her passenger cabins - she is sailing with crew only since disembarking her own pax in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico earlier this month 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

Because it sailed in support of the Zaandam with a full crew as well as some extra medical personnel but with no passengers.  It has a full complement of rooms available for the passengers who are being transferred 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

Do you know if the rotterdam transfer of passengers is complete yet?  Also do you think Rotterdam will also head for florida or to san diego?  Txs.

From the AIS data it appears to be winding down.  Each ship has one of it's tenders in the water but none near the other ship.  Not a guarantee but a very hopeful sign.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vectorboy said:

It might help to read yesterdays HAL press release.  So many questions are being asked when they have already been posted on this extensive thread from people that have been following this situation all along.  Also things have been changing very quickly. We should all be used to that by now.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-zaandam/statement-regarding-zaandam/

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, dockman said:

Rotterdam currently still shows two tenders (#7 and #9) in the water, as does Zaandam (#11 and lucky #13) but they no longer show them criss-crossing to the other ship. They could be getting ready to be hauled up and housed so their mums can rev up their engines, and scramble outtahere. Keep an eyeon AIS for updates.

Where Rotterdam will go is a toss up right now. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-79.586/centery:8.816/zoom:17 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm happy to hear that things may be sorting themselves out.  If Zaandam and Rotterdam can both head for Fort Lauderdale, and are allowed to disembark their passengers, it will be such a relief!

The Zaandam story made it on to our local news this evening.  We look forward to seeing cruise passengers here later this summer, as there are a lot of businesses that rely on their custom.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Rotterdam currently still shows two tenders (#7 and #9) in the water, as does Zaandam (#11 and lucky #13) but they no longer show them criss-crossing to the other ship. They could be getting ready to be hauled up and housed so their mums can rev up their engines, and scramble outtahere. Keep an eyeon AIS for updates.

Zaandam 13 and Rotterdam 9 positions are hours old.  I think each ship has only 1 tender in the water.

Roy

2 hours ago, panabiker said:

Sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread. I saw news reports came out yesterday that 4 passengers died on the ship, but nothing on whether they died on the same day or they only made it public after they had 4 deaths. I can't think of a scenario that 4 people would die roughly at the same time. 

Did you want a play by play? I doubt you would ever hear the details, due to privacy concerns, unless released by an investigating agency. Or in a court.

By the way, after 35 years in emergency services, I can think of many situations where 4 (or more) people die in close timing.  But where did it say the deaths were close in proximity, time wise?

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

thanks...i think the sun set there a couple of hours ago...would they continue to run tenders in the dark to complete transfers or wait til morning if more pax to be moved?

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

If Rotterdam does not go through the canal can she disembark her passengers in Puerto Vallarta or is that option now closed?

Roy

Mexico has also closed their ports to cruise ships however, they made an exception for Rotterdam and her own pax so..........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dockman said:

thanks...i think the sun set there a couple of hours ago...would they continue to run tenders in the dark to complete transfers or wait til morning if more pax to be moved?

They have navigation lights and can continue during hrs of darkness; they prefer doing it in daylight however

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Did you want a play by play? I doubt you would ever hear the details, due to privacy concerns, unless released by an investigating agency. Or in a court.

By the way, after 35 years in emergency services, I can think of many situations where 4 (or more) people die in close timing.  But where did it say the deaths were close in proximity, time wise?

No, I'm not interested in play-by-play. If I offended anyone, please accept my apology. My thinking was that if they made the public aware that people passed away earlier, they might have been able to put more PR pressure on the relevant authorities and/or the Panamanian government to grant docking/passage on humanitarian ground. Maybe I am wrong and the PR pressure wouldn't have worked any better than the behind the scene work. 

• Like 1

Thank you Panama and all workers on the Panama Canal!  

And now that the Zaandam (and possibly the Rotterdam) is headed through the Panama Canal, we look forward to Florida and any and all ports in Florida to warmly welcoming them back to the United States.  

• Like 5

I am very glad that the ships are going to be allowed to pass through the Panama Canal and make their way to a US port.  I live in  South FL and it is getting to be a total mess  here with all of the Covid-19 cases. We are now doubling our #'s and many cities and counties in South Florida are under lock down with people only allowed to leave their homes for basic necessities. Our hospitals are getting full of Covid-19 patients.  If I were  this cruise, I would want to be in a  place where I could be assured of medical care if I needed it, and I could safely quarantine.  At this time I am not sure that Ft Lauderdale or anywhere in South FL is that place.  Here is the latest information for South Florida.https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-palm-beach-testing-20200327-crpjllcg2jcwncvytpa3ttji6a-story.html

• Like 2

The ink isn't dry just yet.    

From HAL: 

UPDATE March 28 (8 pm PT/11 pm ET): We are aware of reported permission for both Zaandam and Rotterdam to transit the Panama Canal in the near future. We greatly appreciate this consideration in the humanitarian interest of our guests and crew. This remains a dynamic situation, and we continue to work with the Panamanian authorities to finalize details.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1