Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

25 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

To think Rottie was in Puerto Vallarta not that long ago! She played a major part in this op

Copper10-8 - Why is it taking soooooo long to get passengers into the ambulances?  Yikes.  Cherie

1 minute ago, accio_7 said:

Was reading article @cdwise provided and noticed this mention: 

Most of the passengers are elderly.

Having never sailed with HAL, is this demographic typical for this cruise line or this specific itinerary? Or both? 

Typical for HAL, but I believe they said there were 4 children on board too.

• Thanks 1

It is a great relief to see both these two great ships safely at dock. We've sailed them both several times.

It is a fine salute to the commissioners as well as all the divergent interests at Port Everglades.

They did the right thing.

• Like 1

Having never sailed with HAL, is this demographic typical for this cruise line or this specific itinerary? Or both? 

It's HAL's reputation. But it varies depending largely on length of cruise. Retired people have the time for longer cruises. Younger people can't get a lot of time off work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL tends to have an older crowd and any line's long voyages always skew older.

Let me put it this way. It's not unusual to have an ambulance waiting for a HAL ship. This many is way out of the ordinary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, accio_7 said:

Yes, it is typically an older crowd. Might be somewhat of a sore point on this board.

Many jokes have been made about the demographic on HAL.

• Thanks 1

Channel 7 camera isn't looking at ambulances now. Hopefully, they'll let people have a little privacy. I don't need to see the patient. I just want to see that first ambulance pull out.

Edited to add, I spoke too soon. They're zoomed in tight on the first ambulance.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Just now, HamOp said:

Yes, it is typically an older crowd. Might be somewhat of a sore point on this board.

It's not complicated. The longer the cruise the older and more affluent the passengers.

This cruise was one of the "Grand Voyages". That also usually attracts older, more affluent passengers.

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Channel 7 camera isn't looking at ambulances now. Hopefully, they'll let people have a little privacy. I don't need to see the patient. I just want to see that first ambulance pull out.

Edited to add, I spoke too soon. They're zoomed in tight on the first ambulance.

As long as they don't do it as the patient is wheeled out.

Roy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cccole said:

Copper10-8 - Why is it taking soooooo long to get passengers into the ambulances?  Yikes.  Cherie

Don't know the situation inside the medical center Cherie; some are hooked up to ventilators; can't just unplug them and roll them down the gangway. Plus this is not a semi-routine single medical disembark; this is a group of ten 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HamOp said:

Sorry for bringing this up, not my intention to stir things up. This is my first time perusing your boards (I normally frequent the Royal Caribbean or Disney ones) and was honestly asking. 

Thanks for the info, everyone. 

• Like 2