Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

New update just a little while ago from Holland America Line on Facebook:

Quoted from Facebook

UPDATE - March 27, 9:45AM PT/12:45PM ET:
Zaandam is currently off the coast of Panama and rendezvoused with sister ship Rotterdam at 7:30 p.m. local time yesterday, March 26. We received approval from Panamanian authorities to conduct ship-to-ship operations at anchor between the two vessels. Medical supplies and additional medical staff were transferred to Zaandam.

Today we announced a plan to transfer groups of healthy Zaandam guests to Rotterdam, with strict protocols for this process developed in conjunction with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Only those who have not been ill will be moved, and health screenings will be conducted before transferring. Priority for the first guests to transfer will be given to those on Zaandam with inside staterooms and who are over 70. Once aboard Rotterdam, all guests will continue to remain in their staterooms until disembarkation. Any guests who are currently ill, or in isolation as a close contact, and all crew will remain on Zaandam.

While the onward plan for both ships is still being finalized, we continue to work with the Panamanian authorities on approval to transit the Panama Canal for sailing to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Yesterday a number of patients with respiratory symptoms were tested for COVID-19 and two individuals tested positive. Out of an abundance of caution, on March 22 when Zaandam first saw a number of guests reporting to the medical center with influenza-like illness symptoms, we took immediate protective measures, including asking all guests to self-isolate in their staterooms and implementing all other appropriate precautions that have been developed in coordination with the CDC. All guests and crew received face masks yesterday and were provided with instructions on when and how to wear them.

Currently, 53 guests (4%) and 85 crew (14%) have reported to Zaandam’s medical center with influenza-like illness symptoms. There are 1,243 guests and 586 crew on board. On Zaandam there are four doctors and four nurses. On Rotterdam there are two doctors and four nurses.

Holland America Line can confirm that four older guests have passed away on Zaandam. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and we are doing everything we can to support them during this difficult time.

Complimentary telephone counseling services from our care partner, Empathia, have been made available to guests and crew if they would like extra support during this time. For those with family members on board, they can call the following numbers for information: 877-425-2231 or 206-626-7398.

Zaandam was sailing a South America cruise that departed Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 and was originally scheduled to end at San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. Due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible so guests could return home. No one has been off the ship since March 14 in Punta Arenas, Chile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, sue1898 said:

From HAL’s Facebook page just now:

UPDATE - March 27, 9:45AM PT/12:45PM ET:
Zaandam is currently off the coast of Panama and rendezvoused with sister ship Rotterdam at 7:30 p.m. local time yesterday, March 26. We received approval from Panamanian authorities to conduct ship-to-ship operations at anchor between the two vessels. Medical supplies and additional medical staff were transferred to Zaandam. 

Today we announced a plan to transfer groups of healthy Zaandam guests to Rotterdam, with strict protocols for this process developed in conjunction with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Only those who have not been ill will be moved, and health screenings will be conducted before transferring. Priority for the first guests to transfer will be given to those on Zaandam with inside staterooms and who are over 70. Once aboard Rotterdam, all guests will continue to remain in their staterooms until disembarkation. Any guests who are currently ill, or in isolation as a close contact, and all crew will remain on Zaandam. 

While the onward plan for both ships is still being finalized, we continue to work with the Panamanian authorities on approval to transit the Panama Canal for sailing to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. 

Yesterday a number of patients with respiratory symptoms were tested for COVID-19 and two individuals tested positive. Out of an abundance of caution, on March 22 when Zaandam first saw a number of guests reporting to the medical center with influenza-like illness symptoms, we took immediate protective measures, including asking all guests to self-isolate in their staterooms and implementing all other appropriate precautions that have been developed in coordination with the CDC. All guests and crew received face masks yesterday and were provided with instructions on when and how to wear them.

Currently, 53 guests (4%) and 85 crew (14%) have reported to Zaandam’s medical center with influenza-like illness symptoms. There are 1,243 guests and 586 crew on board. On Zaandam there are four doctors and four nurses. On Rotterdam there are two doctors and four nurses. 

Holland America Line can confirm that four older guests have passed away on Zaandam. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and we are doing everything we can to support them during this difficult time.

Complimentary telephone counseling services from our care partner, Empathia, have been made available to guests and crew if they would like extra support during this time. For those with family members on board, they can call the following numbers for information: 877-425-2231 or 206-626-7398. 

Zaandam was sailing a South America cruise that departed Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 and was originally scheduled to end at San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. Due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible so guests could return home. No one has been off the ship since March 14 in Punta Arenas, Chile.

Sounds like a good plan.  I hope everything goes well for all guests and crew.

It is a dam mess.

I hope Rotterdam is required to quarantine all aboard for 14 days from today. Bringing passengers from an infected ship to an uninfected ship exposes a whole lot of folks on board the Rotterdam. The chances that none of the transferred passengers develop coronavirus in the next 14 days seems very, very small. 

• Like 4

Just now, arabrab said:

It is a dam mess.

I hope Rotterdam is required to quarantine all aboard for 14 days from today. Bringing passengers from an infected ship to an uninfected ship exposes a whole lot of folks on board the Rotterdam. The chances that none of the transferred passengers develop coronavirus in the next 14 days seems very, very small. 

I wonder if Mexico will allow Rotterdam to dock again? 

Prayers go out to everyone on both ships.  What a terrible time they’re all going through. The best thing we can do is be supportive of everyone onboard, guests and crew alike.

Stay well

Gerry

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, arabrab said:

It is a dam mess.

If you read HAL's statement, they said that those moved will be quarantined in their Staterooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Playin Pickleball said:

Whoops, I just noticed I posted the HAL FB post but someone else already had. I thought I had looked at all replies. Sorry for the repeat post.

No worries.  Thank you for posting it.  The situation with Zaandam is dire and they needed to separate people.  The numbers of sick have increased, as have the numbers of fatalities.  Those who are healthy need to be separated.  A lot goes in to decisions like this and the decision to move the healthy off the ship was absolutely the best course of action.  Nothing is fool-proof though, so only time will tell if it works, and if it means the healthy can get to shore earlier. 

I did see a couple of the posts before they removed and I thank you.  I do not feel I am owed any apologies.  I totally understand skepticism.  I just ask that folks be a little more open minded to info being passed here.  Thank you. 

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 6

Is the Rotterdam a bigger ship?  Would they be able to place everyone removed into balcony cabins for fresh air instead of relying on re-circulated?  It seems that could make a big difference in curbing the potential spread of any disease--even the common cold.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, arabrab said:

It is a dam mess.

Agree, an awful mess.  Someone here just posted it's a "good plan...…".   Well it's a plan and I guess the best they can do.  Little early to say it's a good one.

• Like 1

Is everyone on the Rotterdam healthy with no sickness on board?  If this is so, it's not fair to the Rotterdam passengers to bring other people from the Zaandam aboard .  Even if the some Zaandam passengers don't have any symptoms now, there's a good chance they will in the future and put the Rotterdam passengers in danger.

Edited by bbtondo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bbtondo said:

Is everyone on the Rotterdam healthy with no sickness on board?  If this is so, it's not fair to the Rotterdam passengers to bring other people from the Zaandam aboard .  Even if the some Zaandam passengers don't have any symptoms now, there's a good chance they will in the future and put the Zaandam passengers in danger.

There were no passengers on the  Rotterdam, only crew to bring the supplies to Zaandam

Just now, bbtondo said:

Is everyone on the Rotterdam healthy with no sickness on board?  If this is so, it's not fair to the Rotterdam passengers to bring other people from the Zaandam aboard .  Even if the some Zaandam passengers don't have any symptoms now, there's a good chance they will in the future and put the Zaandam passengers in danger.

Rotterdam did not sail down with any passengers on board. 

15 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

TWO positive out of 138 reporting symptoms?  Does this make sense?

The lady doctor in Trump's daily press briefings stated that 2- 3% of people tested were coming back positive so this is a little lower but within the margin of error.  OTOH, it could raise significantly in coming days.  

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

Rotterdam did not sail down with any passengers on board. 

Thank you.  I wasn't really following this story, so sorry for not knowing this.  But is this still fair to the workers on the Rotterdam?

• Like 2