Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

I just got an update from my clients currently on the Zaandam:

• They have both tested negative for COVID-19
  • Mr. needs assistance with transferring to the Rotterdam because he walks with a cane.  This has caused a delay and even though they are 76 and 82 they are still on the even though they started the transfer of passengers yesterday.
  • There is still no word on where or when they will be getting off the ship.

I am so relieved they tested negative.  I thought that along with the inside cabins the guests 70+ were getting priority to move to the Rotterdam.  I am concerned about the fact that because he needs assistance because of his mobility that they have been delayed.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mcmarya said:

I think there needs to be a FAQ thread for this situation which only includes the facts (and quotes from the HAL blog) since there is a lot of misinformation floating around on this one.  Here are some things that could be included:

1.  The ship was on a 14 day cruise departing Buenos Aires, Argentina on 3/7, with stops in Montevideo, Uruguay; Stanley, Falkland Islands; and Punta Arenas, Chile as well as Ushuia, Argentina and Puerto, Montt, Chile; ending in San Antonio, Argentina on 3/21.  (The ship did not go to Antarctica.)  Here is an itinerary I found online:

https://www.icruise.com/itineraries/14-night-south-america-passage-cruise_zaandam_3-7-2020.html

2.  The ship made port calls in Montevideo and Stanley before operations were halted on 3/13--The ship was at sea on that date.  The ship then made a port call in Punta Arenas (I do not know if passengers were able to tour or not so that is not a fact.)  Passengers were not allowed to stay in Punta Arenas.  From the Holland America blog:  "Despite a positive outlook for disembarking Zaandam guests today at Punta Arenas, Chile, we were not allowed to do so by local authorities. Therefore, the ship departed the port this evening and is now en route to San Antonio, Chile, for a service call to take on fuel and other provisions. Our Seattle headquarters and the ship are working with several governments and embassies on options for where to disembark guests."

3.  The ship did not stop in Ushaia or Puerto Montt.

4.  The ship was allowed to take on fuel and provisions off of Valparaiso, Chile.  From the blog, "The ship departed Valparaiso, Chile, today and is sailing north with the intention of arriving at Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, on March 30 where guests will disembark. Holland America Line is in the process of finalizing the necessary permissions to transit the Panama Canal on March 27."

5.  Permission was denied for the ship to transit the Panama Canal.  It is necessary for 3 pilots and numerous line handlers, and various inspectors to board the ship in the course of the transit.  The Panama Canal remained open to other traffic.

6.  Medical supplies and personnel were transferred from the Rotterdam to the Zaandam off Panama.  Some passengers deemed healthy were transferred to the Rotterdam.

Except that San Antonio is in Chile, not Argentina.  The ship did not turn back to Argentina, but went up the west coast of South America.  

Edited by Vict0riann

19 minutes ago, purrlinda said:

• Mr. needs assistance with transferring to the Rotterdam because he walks with a cane.  This has caused a delay and even though they are 76 and 82 they are still on the even though they started the transfer of passengers yesterday.

I am so relieved they tested negative.  I thought that along with the inside cabins the guests 70+ were getting priority to move to the Rotterdam.  I am concerned about the fact that because he needs assistance because of his mobility that they have been delayed.  

It's a slow process, and there could be a lot of reasons for what you're calling a delay. Maybe it just isn't their turn. I think the "priority" was about making the list, not who would go first. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's a slow process, and there could be a lot of reasons for what you're calling a delay. Maybe it just isn't their turn. I think the "priority" was about making the list, not who would go first. 

Any new information as to where they will be going for everyone to get off.  Can't imagine what they are going thru. 

Just now:  60 pax have been moved to rotterdam and 60 more supposed to go soon.  Captain says something about trying to balance work load and explaining how people are picked to move, age, inside cabin ec.  LOTS of stress.  Still no info as to when /where they ultimately will disembark.

Apparently a lot of people who are hoping to move to rotterdam have no idea if they will or will not be moved and are sitting in rooms hoping for more information on what is going on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Are we seeing different information? Info I am seeing shows guests were ashore and on excursions on 3/14 and HAL says basically the same. Am I misunderstanding ? 

Let me give it a try; Zaandam's pax were in Punta Arenas, Chile on 14 Mar as one of their regularly scheduled ports of call on this voyage, when everything was still copacetic in South America. Everyone got back on and the ship departed for Ushuaia, Argentina, her next port of call the following day. Mister Murphy showed up, making the Argentinians close their borders/ports that day, March 15th, which meant a no go for Zaandam, as far as heading back to the South Atlantic!

After the Chileans then, on March 16th, closed San Antonio, Zaanie's regularly scheduled disembarkation port for the end of this fourteen-day itinerary, her captain attempted to persuade the Chilean government to get them to approve disembarking his pax in either Valparaiso or Punta Arenas (so there, in Punta Arenas, for a second time if they would have received approval). However, as fate would have it, that was also then denied by the Chileans, because they had closed all their ports to cruise ships, so ultimately, Zaandam finds herself off Panama and things can only be described as a cluster, having gone from bad to worse. Hoping and praying for a positive outcome! 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Zaandam's original itinerary. The port call at Punta Arenas, Chile on March 14 was the last time anyone left Zaandam to go ashore. After the Chileans put a stop to disembarking her pax/crew at her original disembarkation port of San Antonio/Santiago de Chile, the other Chilean ports (Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt and Valparaiso) were also denied. She was ultimately given permission to anchor off Valparaiso for bunkering and supplies only, before heading north to her current position off Panama. Peru (March 16), Ecuador (March 16), Columbia (March 16) and Argentina (March 15) all closed their borders, denying entry to Zaandam. Now it's either a Panama Canal transit (if the Panamanians change their mind) or a northbound course to potentially U.S. ports (San Diego, L.A., Oakland) more than likely following the same guidelines as Grand Princess and her pax in Oakland on March 9.

3/7/2020 Sat BUENOS AIRES
3/8/2020 Sun Buenos Aires
3/9/2020 Mon Montevideo
3/10/2020 Tue At Sea (South Atlantic Ocean)
3/11/2020 Wed At Sea
3/12/2020 Thu Port Stanley
3/13/2020 Fri Scenic cruising Strait of Magellan
3/14/2020 Sat Punta Arenas
3/15/2020 Sun Ushuaia
3/16/2020 Mon Scenic cruising Cape Horn 
3/17/2020 Tue Scenic cruising Sarmiento Channel
3/18/2020 Wed Scenic cruising Chilean Fjords
3/19/2020 Thu Puerto Montt
3/20/2020 Fri At Sea (South Pacific Ocean)
3/21/2020 Sat SAN ANTONIO (SANTIAGO)

Thank you for your updates and follow ups to several posts.  Very interesting 

8 minutes ago, dockman said:

Just now:  60 pax have been moved to rotterdam and 60 more supposed to go soon.  Captain says something about trying to balance work load and explaining how people are picked to move, age, inside cabin ec.  LOTS of stress.  Still no info as to when /where they ultimately will disembark.

Apparently a lot of people who are hoping to move to rotterdam have no idea if they will or will not be moved and are sitting in rooms hoping for more information on what is going on.

It sounds like this will end up being a multi-day delay on getting the Zaandam moving again. That's a long add-on for the people stuck onboard. 

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Let me give it a try; Zaandam's pax were in Punta Arenas, Chile on 14 Mar as one of their regularly scheduled ports of call on this voyage, when everything was still copacetic in South America. Everyone got back on and the ship departed for Ushuaia, Argentina, her next port of call the following day. Mister Murphy showed up, making the Argentinians close their borders/ports that day, March 15th, which meant a no go for Zaandam, as far as heading back to the South Atlantic!

After the Chileans then, on March 16th, closed San Antonio, Zaanie's regularly scheduled disembarkation port for the end of this fourteen-day itinerary, her captain attempted to pursued the Chilean government to get them to approve disembarking his pax in either Valparaiso or Punta Arenas (so there, in Punta Arenas, for a second time if they would have received approval). However, as fate would have it, that was also then denied by the Chileans, because they had closed all their ports to cruise ships, so ultimately, Zaandam finds herself off Panama and things can only be described as a cluster, having gone from bad to worse. Hoping and praying for a positive outcome! 

Now I am thoroughly confused.  Didn't the ship leave from BA?  That would mean that the ship would go to Ushuai and then to Punta Arenas.  No?  At least that was the itinerary for our December 18th trip.

1 minute ago, Tampa Girl said:

Now I am thoroughly confused.  Didn't the ship leave from BA?  That would mean that the ship would go to Ushuai and then to Punta Arenas.  No?  At least that was the itinerary for our December 18th trip.

3/9/2020 Mon Montevideo
3/11/2020 Wed At Sea
3/15/2020 Sun Ushuaia

And I was trying so hard to be factual😀.  I should have proofread--I meant to say San Antonio, Chile, not Argentina.  And, sorry if my post seemed too positive to HAL.  I am sure that management wishes they could have a do-over as do the passengers who chose to sail.  And, we all wish no one who had the virus got on the ship.  Hindsight is 20-20.

Edited by mcmarya
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, purrlinda said:

I think the "test" was a temp check and questions about coughs etc.  Per my brother only the sick were given a covid test.  Best of luck to all.

• Like 2

Rotterdam tenders 7 & 9 are shuttling back and forth all day.  I assume they are moving the 60 or 120 passengers mentioned or more.  They have many trips but not knowing the number of passengers (and luggage) on each trip, it is hard to know where they are on the mission. The wind/current seems to have changed.  I hope the sea state doesn't deteriorate.

image.thumb.png.3e06ab6de1ab3f3b8c88f84b9f04cb87.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dockman said:

I think the "test" was a temp check and questions about coughs etc.  Per my brother only the sick were given a covid test.  Best of luck to all.

That's essentially correct.  The Reuters article that just posted (see above) states that Zaandam passengers were given a temp check and asked to respond to four questions relating to cough, fatigue, and fever signs in the last 10 days.  Passengers who "pass" may transfer to the Rotterdam.

Edited by DaveSJ711
  • Like 2

The Voyage of the Zaandamed will be an interesting movie.  Does anyone know the sea state where they are anchored and transferring?   I hope that all of the 400+ they intended to transfer can be moved successfully.  This situation just goes to show that in this day of instant communications we really are not connected in may parts of the globe.

21 minutes ago, dockman said:

Thank you for the updates. I am hoping the US ports can help like they have for those other cruises that were effected.  They know what they are doing. 

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

3/9/2020 Mon Montevideo
3/11/2020 Wed At Sea
3/15/2020 Sun Ushuaia

Interesting.  Punta Arenas was the third day after Ushuaia on the westbound December 18th trip.  Strange itinerary.  

Can one imagine the difficulty of not just getting the guests transferred in such a situation, but also the luggage of those guests!  I think about my normal two pieces of luggage and their weight, carrying them down the stairs leading to the landing platform and then up the stairs from the Rotterdam's landing platform, plus getting them into and out of the tenders!  What an extremely difficult situation that must be for the crew and as well as the guests!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dockman said:

Very strange - my clients specifically stated they tested negative for the virus.  

• Like 1