Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

4 minutes ago, dockman said:

Just heard from brother onboard.  He and his wife were transferred to rotterdam today.  He said it was pretty much chaos but they feel fortunate to be on Rotterdam.  No symptoms.  Still not sure of next stop but are resigned to idea it will probably involve a 14 day quarantine.

In what way(s) was it chaotic?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I had read here some years ago that cruise ships with passengers aboard were required to transit during the day.  It may also be size related, as Windstar had their small (formerly Seabourn) ships doing night transits.  There was some dissatisfaction in the guests who did not realize this was the plan.  After one season, they went back to day transits.  Maybe @BillB48 could shed some light on this.  Hapag-Lloyd's Europa is also awaiting transit, but she has no guests onboard so maybe could do a night transit.  Her cancelled itinerary had her scheduled to transit last week.  EM

I have a feeling that they will take ANY slot to transit the canal.  I will also bet that not one passenger on board will complain.  The approval to pass was critical. No telling what went on behind the scenes.  

I am hoping that the status of the sick passengers qualifies them for some sort of humanitarian priority..   The optics so far haven't been that good and further delay would compound that for Panama.   

10 minutes ago, dockman said:

Apparently some confusion as to who and when etc.  They are just very happy to be on R and didn't go into great detail.

At least you heard from them and that is great news. 

Edited by rjbean4
more info
  • Like 4

44 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yesterday, there was news  that the 15-minute test had been approved by the FDA for this emergency.

....do u mean approved specifically for zaandam or just in general?  i find general approval story but it says some to  be distributed next week and no mention of zaandam....can u please provide your source?  Thank you

33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Heard was going be available next few days but will be months before available everywhere

As far as 15 min. testing helping these ships, ABC reported one companies 15 min test that was approved was returning 60% accuracy in early testing!

Those months likely needed to get better results.

Thanks Max2003 for the map showing the ships, hoping the best for all those onboard!

5 minutes ago, dockman said:

....do u mean approved specifically for zaandam or just in general?  i find general approval story but it says some to  be distributed next week and no mention of zaandam....can u please provide your source?  Thank you

Not for the Holland ship, but the technology is coming when its more accurate.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/promising-15-minute-test-coronavirus-caveats/story?id=69799168

• Thanks 2

I stopped reading this thread many pages ago because it was to muddled with opinions and not facts.  Now, can someone please tell me the following:

1. Did the Zaandam really get permission to transit the canal?

2. Does the Zaandam have permission to port in Florida yet?

3. Did the Rotterdam get permission to transit the canal too?

As Joe Friday said, "only the facts."  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baggal said:

I stopped reading this thread many pages ago because it was to muddled with opinions and not facts.  Now, can someone please tell me the following:

1. Did the Zaandam really get permission to transit the canal?

2. Does the Zaandam have permission to port in Florida yet?

3. Did the Rotterdam get permission to transit the canal too?

As Joe Friday said, "only the facts."  

1. yes

2.  not that i know

3. yes

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, AmBear said:

Not for the Holland ship, but the technology is coming when its more accurate.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/promising-15-minute-test-coronavirus-caveats/story?id=69799168

Test has been approved as of today and is being fielded this week, not sure if Holland ship will receive it

Edited by ONECRUISER

34 minutes ago, dockman said:

It was on  TV -  in a ribbon at the bottom of the screen but I don't remember if it was BBC or MSNBC.  It was just a general approval, no specific mention of Zaandam.  They seemed to be getting results quickly on Zaandam so I thought that might have been what they were using.  But evidently they do have testing equipment on Zaandam as well, Copper, I think it was, said.

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

49 minutes ago, dockman said:

Apparently some confusion as to who and when etc.  They are just very happy to be on R and didn't go into great detail.

Brother says 800 people were moved to Rotterdam.  He was originally told 8;30 am but actually went at 3 pm.  Says R is sparkling clean and though it has been a chaotic day very happy to be there and ready to get through canal and move on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I am thankful for the facts that have been shared here.

I am so proud of the Rotterdam and her crew for helping the Zaandam's people in need.

They could all use a few miracles.

May our prayers and God's blessings get them through this nightmare.

Barbara

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Orlando Ashford's message to the Zaandam passengers is now up on the HAL blog; 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-zaandam/statement-regarding-zaandam/

Thank you for this link.

We had heard on the news that passengers were moved from the Zaandam to the Rotterdam and thought we had heard incorrectly.

Now to get all the passengers to a port and home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Orlando Ashford's message to the Zaandam passengers is now up on the HAL blog; 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-zaandam/statement-regarding-zaandam/

Mr. Ashford's message was eloquent and sincere.  May it give comfort to all who are impacted still sailing on a -DAM ship.  You are not alone.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

In what way(s) was it chaotic?

The logistics of transferring at-sea passengers from one cruise ship to another are great.  Never mind all the pre-selection process; once they are identified, they have to be checked out of one ship and checked in to another, assigned a new room, and issued new key cards.  They need to be transferred a few at a time to ensure proper social distancing, luggage has to be transferred and manifests of both ships need to be changed.  What about muster drills?  While I'm sure they're not doing a traditional muster, they still need to know where their station is. 

But that said, sources tell me HAL and the officers & crew of both ships have been champs through this process.  Time will tell how this all plays out but for now, I have to extend a big Bravo Zulu to HAL!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, whogo said:

Marinetraffic.com lists the Zaandam as underway using engines, 11.5 knots. A Zaandam lifeboat or tender #11 is still shown in the water. Any idea what is up?

AIS receiver was turned off before the tender was loaded.  AIS cannot update the position.

Roy

• Like 2