Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

8 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The Unified Command of Broward County is in control and they have stated that there will have to be a unanimous decision for the ships to be allow into port.  Here is a link:

https://www.porteverglades.net/zaandam-update/#Unified-Command

There are sick people in dire need and have to be taken care of no matter who they are and where they came from.  That should be who we are as a country.  Would expect the same if I was in a foreign country or even in another state.  How could anyone be so selfish as to turn their back on these people. Hope not.   And this is just about my backyard so I could be very affected but still not right to turn them away.

Edited by RJB
additional comment
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, tgg said:

If you do a 180, you go in the opposite direction.

If you do a 360, you wind up right where you started.

Why are there 360 degrees in a circle?  Credit goes to the Greeks.

So when someone says they've come full circle, it means that they have come back to where they started.

“He did a complete 180.”  Wha?

2 minutes ago, tgg said:

If you do a 180, you go in the opposite direction.

If you do a 360, you wind up right where you started.

Why are there 360 degrees in a circle?  Credit goes to the Greeks.

So when someone says they've come full circle, it means that they have come back to where they started.

It's actually from the Egyptians - who got it from the Mesopotamians who had a base-60 numbering system. They realized that 6 equilateral triangles (60° on a side) fit into a circle perfectly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sue from Canada said:

The could alternate days at HMC between the two ships.  And, BYOB😄

I wonder if HAL is still charging for booze and internet service.  The least that they could do is let people to contact loved ones at home and to get drunk if they want to.  I assume that they are providing free internet.  Not that sure about the free booze.

DON

47 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Sounds pretty definitive to me:

"We are going to be willing to accept Floridians on board," he told reporters. "My understanding is most of the passengers are foreign nationals."

It isn't definitive because these entities have to first vote on the Carnival plan.  Should they approve it, we will see if our Florida Governor dares to defy it.  He is up for re-election in 2022.  

Broward Unified Command Members:

• U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
  • Florida Department of Health in Broward County
  • U.S. Coast Guard
  • U.S. Customs & Border Protection
  • Broward Sheriff’s Office Departments of Law Enforcement and Fire Rescue
  • Broward County Emergency Management
  • Port Everglades Pilots Association
  • Broward County Port Everglades Department

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dockman said:

update from brother on rotterdam just now:

no word yet on disembarking.  we will be in ft lauderdale tomorrow.

Are you able to text your brother, or email ? Let's hope he soon hears the Captain announce the disembackment plan.  I would think isolation will be part of that plan, but I am sure he will be happy . We are hoping everything goes smooth.

Edited by 2+2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dockman said:

update from brother on rotterdam just now:

no word yet on disembarking.  we will be in ft lauderdale tomorrow.

Wishing the best for your brother and all on board the ships.  Praying that this virus just is over with.

• Like 6

Florida governor: We'll take state residents only from Zaandam cruise ship

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/us/holland-america-zaandam-cruise-ship-florida/index.html

I worked for a state government (not Florida) for thirty-nine years.  This is a classic inter-departmental battle that I saw many times.  It applies to all levels of government.  Everybody is concerned only with their own responsibility and their own budget. "The public" means the segment of the public their department is mandated to serve.  Nobody sees the big picture.  Nobody cares what is the right thing to do.  

• Like 8

Is this really happening in our world of today, the most terrible thing I have ever heard,  like a" related to genocide event", in the supposedly civilized world...! Shame on every one involved,this will go down in history as blind selfishness ,and the deaths of innocent people, who are unwittingly caught in this terrible web.. ! Like it or not we are all in this together, imagine if Medical People said, we are in danger...sorry we are going home, have some courage and stand up and be counted..!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It's actually from the Egyptians - who got it from the Mesopotamians who had a base-60 numbering system. They realized that 6 equilateral triangles (60° on a side) fit into a circle perfectly.

Pretty sure the Carthaginians were involved in it also 🤓

12 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

It isn't definitive because these entities have to first vote on the Carnival plan.  Should they approve it, we will see if our Florida Governor dares to defy it.  He is up for re-election in 2022.  

• U.S. Coast Guard

I think the Commissioners will allow the ships in based on what I heard yesterday.  There is no one else in the World to help the ships.  Most don't want any ships or have already closed off their Countries to allowing them.

4 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

I guess we can't rewrite 'Come From Away', can we .... ?           Scott.   

Sadly "Because I helped You Yesterday" is no reason for someone to pay it forward today.

It's a different world we live in, and those we thought we could depend on are no longer there for us.

I hope I'm never so miserable that I will turn away someone in need.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, travel09 said:

Is this really happening in our world of today, the most terrible thing I have ever heard,  like a" related to genocide event", in the supposedly civilized world...! Shame on every one involved,this will go down in history as blind selfishness ,and the deaths of innocent people, who are unwittingly caught in this terrible web.. ! Like it or not we are all in this together, imagine if Medical People said, we are in danger...sorry we are going home, have some courage and stand up and be counted..!

actually when it comes to the two dam ships Florida is in this...…...alone.  That being said they will be in.

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

• U.S. Coast Guard

That is one entity known as Broward Unified Command. The  other entity involved in the making of the decision we are all waiting for is the Broward County Commision. led by Mayor Dale Holness 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

Are you able to text your brother, or email ? Let's hope he soon hears the Captain announce the disembackment plan.  I would think isolation will be part of that plan, but I am sure he will be happy . We are hoping everything goes smooth.

he normally texts to me everyday with whatever updates they are given....as u can see today was basically no info except apparently they plan to be in FLL tomorrow...gotta be tough sitting in room all day everyday waiting for ANY announcements but he is very thankful to be on rotterdam and is hoping for a resolution of entire mess soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I wonder if HAL is still charging for booze and internet service.  The least that they could do is let people to contact loved ones at home and to get drunk if they want to.  I assume that they are providing free internet.  Not that sure about the free booze.

DON

I think the better question is, for the purposes of the frequent cruiser program, do any additional nights stuck on the boat "count" towards elite status?

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

If  you want to weigh in with your thoughts on Zaandam and Rotterdam docking in Florida, I recommend sending an email to the governor GovernorRon.Desantis@eog.myflorida.com  and the President  https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/.

This is not a political comment.  This simply is suggesting that if you have a comment to make regarding Zaandam and Rotterdam, now is the time to do it.

Will do! 

• Like 2

The latest Sun-Sentinel article (https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-ships-infected-port-everglades-20200401-mf4komanench5m7lwp34oeajly-story.html) states (my bolding):

“I obviously am not in control of the port. That’s run by the counties in southern Florida, in this case Broward County,” DeSantis said. “Clearly, we’re going to be willing to accept any Floridians who are on board. My understanding is that most of the passengers are foreign nationals.”

Hopefully that first comment gives DeSantis a face saving (not that he deserves it) out when Broward County and HAL work out an acceptable agreement.

Added:  the same article details the status of the plan as of this afternoon:

But the county is still waiting for an official plan that would be binding, including details about who would pay for what, an outline of the medical plan, and talks about security.

That county meeting was abruptly canceled by county staff Wednesday afternoon because authorities said no plan has been submitted.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2