Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

I apologize to all of my fellow cruisers for the Florida governor's statements.  Luckily he is not the one who makes the final decision. 

I want to know why our federal government is not assisting Broward County in dealing with all of the cruise ships coming in with people who are sick and need to go home, whether they are crew or passengers. We have loads of empty hotels that can be used to quarantine everyone for 14 days.  Yes we are having a surge here so let us bring in more resources to address this, not leave people stranded on ships at sea w/o adequate care.  

Please if you are a US citizen write to your Senator and Congress person so this nightmare can be over for the staff and crew of these ships.  Here is a link to do this.  

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

• Like 6

Latest from HAL:

source:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-rotterdam/zaandam-and-rotterdam-await-permission-from-local-south-florida-authorities-for-humanitarian-disembarkation-of-guests/

Holland America Line is awaiting confirmation to disembark guests from Zaandam and Rotterdam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We remain fully engaged with the Broward Unified Command and other governmental and embassy authorities to resolve this humanitarian situation and get the nearly 1,200 well guests home immediately who are fit for travel per guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Both ships are scheduled to arrive at the boundary of U.S. waters by early tomorrow morning and will remain outside U.S. waters while awaiting clearance to enter.

Guests fit for travel per the CDC would transfer straight from the ship to flights for onward travel home, the majority on charter flights. Out of an abundance of caution, these guests will be transported in coaches that will be sanitized, with limited person-to-person contact and while wearing masks. These provisions well exceed what the CDC have advised is necessary for their travel. Guests have not left the ship since March 14 and have self-isolated in their staterooms since March 22.

The approximately 45 guests who still have mild illness and are unfit to travel at this time will continue to isolate on board until recovered. Disembarkation would be at a later date to be determined and only after they have recovered and are in alignment with CDC guidelines for being fit to travel.

For the estimated less than ten people who need immediate critical care shoreside, we have secured approval from a local health system partner that they will accept them for treatment. This small number is the only group that will require any support from medical resources in Broward County and is necessary to prevent further harm to their health.

Since March 22, 97 guests (83 on Zaandam/14 on Rotterdam) and 136 crew on Zaandam (0 on Rotterdam) have presented with influenza-like symptoms. We have seen a significant decline in the presentation of new cases on Zaandam, with only 1 new case reporting in the past 24 hours.

There are 808 guests and 583 crew on Rotterdam. On Zaandam there are 442 guests and 603 crew.

Holland America Line calls for compassion and reason in the review and approval of our disembarkation plan by Florida officials and we are grateful for those that have supported our efforts.

We appreciate the support of President Trump in resolving the humanitarian plight of our guests – 311 of whom are American citizens and 52 of whom are residents of Florida. There are also four children under the age of 12 on board.

Due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible.  At the time, Zaandam was sailing a South America cruise that began in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 that was originally scheduled to end at San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. Attempts were made and denied to disembark guests in Chile on March 15 and in other ports along its route to the U.S.

On March 21, Zaandam was originally scheduled to begin a 20-day South America and Panama Canal cruise from San Antonio, Chile, and end in Fort Lauderdale on April 7. On March 30 an additional 30-day extension of cruise cancellations was announced, including departures through May 14.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I wonder if HAL is still charging for booze and internet service.  The least that they could do is let people to contact loved ones at home and to get drunk if they want to.  I assume that they are providing free internet.  Not that sure about the free booze.

DON

Yes, they are getting free wifi and free ship to shore phone calls.    Last I heard, no booze was being delivered to their cabins when they deliver their meals.     I saw vblog of one couple saying they were on the rotterdam and confined to an interior cabin which didn't make any sense as they took everyone off zaandam that was an interior cabin to put them in a room with verandah or ocean view.     

I heard on previous princess ships that had issues the passengers were given points for the extra nights - not sure if HAL will do this but they should get extra 2 points per night IMO.    

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

If  you want to weigh in with your thoughts on Zaandam and Rotterdam docking in Florida, I recommend sending an email to the governor GovernorRon.Desantis@eog.myflorida.com  and the President  https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/.

This is not a political comment.  This simply is suggesting that if you have a comment to make regarding Zaandam and Rotterdam, now is the time to do it.

DONE!!!    Appalled that the local, county & state government are even considering NOT accepting these ships!!!

• Like 8

Just now, Cruisin Kay D said:

DONE!!!    Appalled that the local, county & state government are even considering NOT accepting these ships!!!

FYI watch Commissioners Meeting yesterday.  They are doing much more than considering it.  I have no doubts they will come in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Latest from HAL:

source:  https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-rotterdam/zaandam-and-rotterdam-await-permission-from-local-south-florida-authorities-for-humanitarian-disembarkation-of-guests/

Holland America Line is awaiting confirmation to disembark guests from Zaandam and Rotterdam in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We remain fully engaged with the Broward Unified Command and other governmental and embassy authorities to resolve this humanitarian situation and get the nearly 1,200 well guests home immediately who are fit for travel per guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Both ships are scheduled to arrive at the boundary of U.S. waters by early tomorrow morning and will remain outside U.S. waters while awaiting clearance to enter.

Guests fit for travel per the CDC would transfer straight from the ship to flights for onward travel home, the majority on charter flights. Out of an abundance of caution, these guests will be transported in coaches that will be sanitized, with limited person-to-person contact and while wearing masks. These provisions well exceed what the CDC have advised is necessary for their travel. Guests have not left the ship since March 14 and have self-isolated in their staterooms since March 22.

The approximately 45 guests who still have mild illness and are unfit to travel at this time will continue to isolate on board until recovered. Disembarkation would be at a later date to be determined and only after they have recovered and are in alignment with CDC guidelines for being fit to travel.

For the estimated less than ten people who need immediate critical care shoreside, we have secured approval from a local health system partner that they will accept them for treatment. This small number is the only group that will require any support from medical resources in Broward County and is necessary to prevent further harm to their health.

Since March 22, 97 guests (83 on Zaandam/14 on Rotterdam) and 136 crew on Zaandam (0 on Rotterdam) have presented with influenza-like symptoms. We have seen a significant decline in the presentation of new cases on Zaandam, with only 1 new case reporting in the past 24 hours.

There are 808 guests and 583 crew on Rotterdam. On Zaandam there are 442 guests and 603 crew.

Holland America Line calls for compassion and reason in the review and approval of our disembarkation plan by Florida officials and we are grateful for those that have supported our efforts.

We appreciate the support of President Trump in resolving the humanitarian plight of our guests – 311 of whom are American citizens and 52 of whom are residents of Florida. There are also four children under the age of 12 on board.

Due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible.  At the time, Zaandam was sailing a South America cruise that began in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 that was originally scheduled to end at San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. Attempts were made and denied to disembark guests in Chile on March 15 and in other ports along its route to the U.S.

On March 21, Zaandam was originally scheduled to begin a 20-day South America and Panama Canal cruise from San Antonio, Chile, and end in Fort Lauderdale on April 7. On March 30 an additional 30-day extension of cruise cancellations was announced, including departures through May 14.

Well worth reading a second time!  Thank you.

Well assuming Hal's numbers are accurate - and I assume they are - 10 people need to go to hospitals.  I have to assume that through all the chest pounding that that number was known.  God speed for the last bit of the trip to Florida and then to home for the healthy. And speedy healing for those that are still symptomatic. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

I apologize to all of my fellow cruisers for the Florida governor's statements.  Luckily he is not the one who makes the final decision. 

I want to know why our federal government is not assisting Broward County in dealing with all of the cruise ships coming in with people who are sick and need to go home, whether they are crew or passengers. We have loads of empty hotels that can be used to quarantine everyone for 14 days.  Yes we are having a surge here so let us bring in more resources to address this, not leave people stranded on ships at sea w/o adequate care.  

Please if you are a US citizen write to your Senator and Congress person so this nightmare can be over for the staff and crew of these ships.  Here is a link to do this.  

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

That has been my question all along. I don’t think anyone expects Florida to deal with this alone. As a matter of fact, I said so in another post, but it disappeared. This one may also when I ask where the leadership is. If your governor is consulting the White House, he is receiving poor counsel. We are way too far into this pandemic to be dithering and passing the buck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

1 hour ago, Sue from Canada said:

Let them dock at Half Moon Cay so the passengers can at least get off, stretch their legs, enjoy the sun, go for a swim etc.  And of course try to maintain social distancing.  

Isn't Half Moon Cay a tender port?

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

IS HE KIDDING?????????????? I was joking when I said that I hoped he would let more than just the Florida Fifty disembark. No other state that took passengers limited it to people from their state. 

Is there any way for HAL to appeal this?

I'm racking my brain to figure out how a state governor has the authority to only allow Florida residents to debark a ship through a federal point of entry.  I just don't see how that can happen. 

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Stratheden said:

As there are Australians on these ships, It would be really appreciated if the US and in particular Florida allowed our citizens to disembark and be flown directly home as we allowed all the US citizens on the Amsterdam and many other ships in Perth.  It is not difficult.  Bus them directly from the port to the airport and send them on their way.  

I have watched a few interviews with your leading politicians and to say it is unbelieveable and horribly disorganised  what is happening in your country is an understatement.  I hope and pray it improves very soon.  

The plan calls for the Aussies and apparently, also some Kiwis, is to be placed on a charter aircraft, with the Californians, for a flight to a California location. From there, they (Aussies and Kiwis) would fly home 

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'm racking my brain to figure out how a state governor has the authority to only allow Florida residents to debark a ship through a federal point of entry.  I just don't see how that can happen. 

I think he knows he doesn't or his staff knows and added this comment noted in the latest Sun-Sentinel article (https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-ships-infected-port-everglades-20200401-mf4komanench5m7lwp34oeajly-story.html) (my bolding):

“I obviously am not in control of the port. That’s run by the counties in southern Florida, in this case Broward County,” DeSantis said. “Clearly, we’re going to be willing to accept any Floridians who are on board. My understanding is that most of the passengers are foreign nationals.”

Edited by capriccio

1 hour ago, travel09 said:

Is this really happening in our world of today, the most terrible thing I have ever heard,  like a" related to genocide event", in the supposedly civilized world...! Shame on every one involved,this will go down in history as blind selfishness ,and the deaths of innocent people, who are unwittingly caught in this terrible web.. !

Due in part to the ignorance of today's world's citizens about history, we are seeing a repeat of the issues of the S.S. St. Louis and her passengers during the 1930's.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Is it safe to breathe again?

20 minutes (ok 5!), seated with eyes closed or unfocused, hands in lap or on knees, breathe in for 5, hold for 2, out for 3. Repeat as needed thru the day. 😊

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Is it safe to breathe again?

I have on good authority (okay mostly-shaky-all-y'all-shouldn't-listen-to-me personal authority) that Crown Royal is internally applied hand sanitizer. 

#gowashyourhands.       🙂        Scott.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Due in part to the ignorance of today's world's citizens about history, we are seeing a repeat of the issues of the S.S. St. Louis and her passengers during the 1930's.

Wow! My husband and I were talking about that just last night. We remembered the event but couldn’t remember the name of the movie about it. “ Voyage of the Damned”

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

That was the first comment out of my husband's (with a PhD in European history) mouth.  His second was an unpublishable rant against our governor.

• Like 3