Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

10 hours ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I am kind of confused as to why the ship would come to FLL.  If it was a SA cruise, does it have a large amount of people from that area where it would make sense to at least stay there until they are allowed to dock?  And why not make sure you were going to be allowed to disembark before making the trip to FLL?

The ship was  a day or two out from ending a cruise in SA.  The  some passengers were going to disembark and head home while new passengers would be boarding. And some passengers were staying aboard for a B2B cruise.  The ship "final" destination was going to be Ft Lauderdale.  Not sure if it was just going to one leg or more.

A day two before reaching the end of the cruise , the country  closed their ports.  It was decided to send the ship through the Panama Canal and head to Ft Lauderdale directly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tampa Girl said:

Read post #1950.

I have read every post in this forum more than once and watched EVERY minute of the televised Board Meeting the other day!

Those two ships are just Off Port and need to be brought in now and get the most critical passengers to a proper medical facility.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Suzez said:

Oh my, I never thought I would spend part of my day following 2 HAL ships. I'ts 2.48 pm in the UK. Have they had the go ahead to dock yet? I do hope so.

Spending so much time at home, wanting to be getting ready for a cruise but the best we can do is follow the story of our fellow travelers.  Praying this is the beginning of the end for them.  I hope CC members from Zaandam will post their stories with us once this is over so we can get a better understanding of what this has been like for them!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Come to think of it, and waking up a bit more, that aid to navigation orange marker by the name of "PE" on the AIS map is more than likely the PE sea buoy. Pilot Boat No. 4 has just dropped off their pilot on board Brenton Reef and both are now headed for Port Everglades! Duh!

Where are you seeing the no. of the pilot boats on the map?

Looks like "Conditional Approval" with more details to come "this morning" according to Commissioner Udine.

"It will be up County Administrator Bertha Henry, the United Command, and Carnival Corporation to give final approval to the detailed docking plan which will require Holland America to handle all medical issues without impacting South Florida’s hospitals."

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/fort-lauderdale-coronavirus-holland-americas-zaandam-rotterdam-off-coast-of-south-florida-still-no-docking-plan/

Edited by bluesea321

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Where are you seeing the no. of the pilot boats on the map?

You need to go to the smaller AIS map on the webcams below the life pic and enlarge it

Look for "Show Marine map and Twitter feed"Show Marine Traffic Map and Twitter

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Looks like both ships are still in a holding pattern, not really getting closer to shore/PE as of yet

Are there any websites to listen in on to ship to shore  movements such as the ones for air traffic controllers and train dispatchers?

3 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Looks like "Conditional Approval" with more details to come "this morning" according to Commissioner Udine.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/fort-lauderdale-coronavirus-holland-americas-zaandam-rotterdam-off-coast-of-south-florida-still-no-docking-plan/

Thanks for posting this. So, if this is accurate, a big whopping ten people will be swamping the local hospitals?????? 

It drives me crazy that cruise ships are assumed to be totally infected while planes are still arriving in FLL. The other day, I opened the webcam and the only thing I saw moving was a plane on its final approach.

I hope the quarantine-bus system will work to get "healthy" passengers on their way.

• Like 4