Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

27 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Spending so much time at home, wanting to be getting ready for a cruise but the best we can do is follow the story of our fellow travelers.  Praying this is the beginning of the end for them.  I hope CC members from Zaandam will post their stories with us once this is over so we can get a better understanding of what this has been like for them!

Sadly our cruise this month, has been cancelled. I would normally be feeling excited and choosing what to take. Instead I am following these cruise ships and hoping everyone gets home safely and the poorly people make a full recovery.

Edited by Suzez
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fanpower said:

Zaandam and Rotterdam are due east of the port entrance around the spot the pilot boarded the last ship.

Seeing the two ships so near and yet so far reminded me of when I did tour at Alcatraz. The guide said the prisoners preferred to be on the side that didn't face the city. Too tantalizing to see what they couldn't have. Passengers on this ship must feel the same way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I see where  it says "we have two cameras" but where to click?  I clicked on that message and nothing happened.

WAY up in the right-hand and left-hand corners. Easy to miss. I didn't see that until today. (Thanks Roy and Victoriann!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I see where  it says "we have two cameras" but where to click?  I clicked on that message and nothing happened.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d5ff98c6c01ba5684abbd8147e33cd3e.JPG

Upper left corner of the screen above the marina picture.

Roy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Seeing the two ships so near and yet so far reminded me of when I did tour at Alcatraz. The guide said the prisoners preferred to be on the side that didn't face the city. Too tantalizing to see what they couldn't have. Passengers on this ship must feel the same way. 

Well, hopefully it wont be too long now. Maybe a few hours. Everything needs to be in place for their arrival. 

If they are allowed to dock at 1 and 1:30, there is still time to wait.  People on board must be furiously packing!  Didn't they say everyone will be allowed one carry-on, and the rest of their luggage will be "fumigated" and sent on later?  Others who have returned to Canada were sent to quarters on a military base, where they were quarantined for 2 weeks, I would be worrying about what to take in one small carry-on to last me 2 weeks!

1 minute ago, Vict0riann said:

If they are allowed to dock at 1 and 1:30, there is still time to wait.  People on board must be furiously packing!  Didn't they say everyone will be allowed one carry-on, and the rest of their luggage will be "fumigated" and sent on later?  Others who have returned to Canada were sent to quarters on a military base, where they were quarantined for 2 weeks, I would be worrying about what to take in one small carry-on to last me 2 weeks!

There are posters who say they always travel with only their carry-ons. I couldn't do that. My carry-on is always full of "stuff," like camera, laptop, meds, jewelry. No room for more than a few pairs of undies. (TMI?) 😨

• Like 3

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There are posters who say they always travel with only their carry-ons. I couldn't do that. My carry-on is always full of "stuff," like camera, laptop, meds, jewelry. No room for more than a few pairs of undies. (TMI?) 😨

Me, too.  I would really have to prioritize if I were in the situation these passengers are in.  And if anyone is not feeling well, very difficult to concentrate.   Of course, if they are allowed to self-quarantine at home, completely different.

So glad common sense and decency reigned here and these ships can dock.

Safe travels to those going home and best wishes for speedy recovery for those who are ill!

And thank you to all the HAL crew on board. 

Edited by sppunk
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, sppunk said:

So glad common sense and decency reigned here and these ships can dock.

Safe travels to tide going home and best wishes for speedy recovery for those who are ill!

And thank you to all the HAL crew on board. 

Plus a plan developed with the participation of all stakeholders!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

10 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Me, too.  I would really have to prioritize if I were in the situation these passengers are in.  And if anyone is not feeling well, very difficult to concentrate.   Of course, if they are allowed to self-quarantine at home, completely different.

We don't take large carry-ons like some people do.  One has a medical bag in it filled with DH's medications -- 17 of them and many taken 3 times a day.  I get just a couple of other small items in there.  The other carry-on has all my camera equipment -- nothing else fits in it.

No way could we live out of 1 carry-on per person for even a couple of days.

7 minutes ago, 2+2 said:

I would imagine passengers are in cell phone range and filling in their families.  

Pretty sure, considering their plight, HAL would have offered free satellite wifi, and/or some satellite phone calls to passenger's, when they were out of range to terrestrial cell service...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, puppycanducruise said:

I just heard PM Trudeau on his daily update.  When asked, he said the Canadians on the cruise ships would be flying back to Canada on chartered flights, but offered no details.🤞

Chartered flt(s) to Toronto for the 247-250 Canadians onboard

• Like 4

As I understand it, the Broward County Commission must vote to approve the plan submitted. Until they do that not much more is likely to happen except the on-land preparations taking place to accept the passengers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charmed1959 said:

If they aren’t feeling well they aren’t going anywhere.  Only the 10 or less very sick are being pulled off the ship.  And, of course, all those who are feeling well.

Of course, you are right.  The (even slightly) unwell will stay on board.  No packing for them.😟

Zaandam has moved to the northeast, away from Port Everglades, more than likely into a racetrack holding pattern. They have two patients on ventilators in critical condition, while waiting for Broward County. The same two patients that they have been trying to medically disembark since before reaching the Panamanian coast

• Like 3