How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

On 7/11/2020 at 5:47 PM, MMDown Under said:

I have come to the conclusion it is not possible to social distance within grocery supermarkets, no matter how few people are in the shop.  I seem to be a target for customers to lean over me to reach for something, or to ask me important questions like "Is that a new brand of iced coffee you're buying?"  The spaced markers, where to stand at a safe distance at the check out, don't make me feel safer.  All I can do is try to spend as little time as possible inside the shop.  I prefer to shop at small street shops.

I think it is possible to social distance in the supermarket. I shop early and if there is someone stopped in the spot I want to pick an item up I wait to they move on. If someone reached over me they would be soon told in no uncertain terms what to do! And I must say I haven't had that happen to me during isolation. Perhaps I'm lucky where I shop. 

Leigh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think it is possible to social distance in the supermarket. I shop early and if there is someone stopped in the spot I want to pick an item up I wait to they move on. If someone reached over me they would be soon told in no uncertain terms what to do! And I must say I haven't had that happen to me during isolation. Perhaps I'm lucky where I shop. 

Leigh

I suppose Woolworths is still doing well with home deliveries down there Leigh ?.   In Batemans Bay, Woollies only had one home  delivery truck, but when it got real busy 2 or 3 months ago, they sent down another 3 trucks from Sydney to meet delivery demand here.  We had a couple of deliveries, but I don't do it anymore, I just head out to Aldi, Coles, Woollies, IGA, where ever.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I suppose Woolworths is still doing well with home deliveries down there Leigh ?.   In Batemans Bay, Woollies only had one home  delivery truck, but when it got real busy 2 or 3 months ago, they sent down another 3 trucks from Sydney to meet delivery demand here.  We had a couple of deliveries, but I don't do it anymore, I just head out to Aldi, Coles, Woollies, IGA, where ever.

We had one Woolies delivery Les, but I couldn't get everything I wanted so decided it really wasn't worth it. I would rather choose my own meat and fruit and vege. I decided to just go early, by the time I have finished my supermarket shopping, the chicken shop is open, so I stop there and the butcher and perhaps the bakery on the way out to the car. Ocassionally go to Aldi or Coles but only if I really need something from there. Aldi is across the road from the pharmacy we go to so may pop in there. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

It's not so much the other people trying to get what they want quicky and efficiently.

- It's the ones that meet up with someone they knoe and stop to have a very long chat, blocking the aisles or (even worse) the areas t hat run across the ends of the aisles, often right in front of the milk fridges.

- it's the ones who park their trolley, usually blocking popular items, then dart all over that aisle to get what they want without looking where other people are.

- it's the ones who suddenly stop mid-aisle to text on their phones or make a call.

- it's the ones who barge into the store, heading directly for whatever they want even if it means cutting across directly in front of you, so close they almost bump into you.

- it's the one who decide to take their whole family on an outing to the supermarket and then let their kids run around out of control.

Ugh!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's not so much the other people trying to get what they want quicky and efficiently.

- It's the ones that meet up with someone they knoe and stop to have a very long chat, blocking the aisles or (even worse) the areas t hat run across the ends of the aisles, often right in front of the milk fridges.

- it's the ones who park their trolley, usually blocking popular items, then dart all over that aisle to get what they want without looking where other people are.

- it's the ones who suddenly stop mid-aisle to text on their phones or make a call.

- it's the ones who barge into the store, heading directly for whatever they want even if it means cutting across directly in front of you, so close they almost bump into you.

- it's the one who decide to take their whole family on an outing to the supermarket and then let their kids run around out of control.

Ugh!

Ugh indeed ....with those hassles in the everyday operation of a supermarket , imagine the problems with social distancing on a cruise  ship .

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I don't shop in supermarkets often and shop early when I do.  Maybe it is because I'm short.  The customer base are mainly older and I think some just forget they should be social distancing.  The supermarkets are mainly small Aldi shops with only a few aisles.  I have no trouble in street shops.

Edited by MMDown Under

In New Zealand we went two months with social distancing of 2 metres and generally no issues. We queued up two metres apart and kept our distance in the shops. At the checkout were crosses two metres apart where we waited. It worked because we have no community transmission

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't shop in supermarkets often and shop early when I do.  Maybe it is because I'm short.  The customer base are mainly older and I think some just forget they should be social distancing.  I have no trouble in street shops.

I shop once a week at the supermarket usually about 7.30am and the only ones there are older folk. I'm short too - just less than 5 ft, about 150cm. Most I come across social distance quite well.

Leigh

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ugh!

Yes agree wholeheartledly which is why I shop early, to avoid all of this. My son complains about older couples who go together to the shopping centre who meet up with friends and stop to have a long chat. My complaint is about younger families who all go to to the supermarket and the kids are running riot! 😀 I will say my son does all of his family's shopping early on a Saturday morning by himself.

Leigh

19 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

In New Zealand we went two months with social distancing of 2 metres and generally no issues. We queued up two metres apart and kept our distance in the shops. At the checkout were crosses two metres apart where we waited. It worked because we have no community transmission

I have no trouble at check outs with spaced crosses nor street shops with marked crosses where you wait to get served.  It is only inside the supermarket where there are no markings that I find people reach over me, or bump me.  Maybe it is because I'm acutely aware.  

Edited by MMDown Under

We have one way aisles in most supermarkets and that has taken some getting use to. I was at the bakery and they limit the store to 4 customers, so we wait in line outside at 2 meter spacing. they closed the parking spaces outside that store, concrete barriers on the street and a plywood deck to sidewalk level so that people have room to get past the line up. It's a popular bakery best donuts in a 40 km radius. Even though our butcher shop is technically open you can't go in and pick out the bacon or steaks or anything else. Tell them what you want and you get what they pick. I guess I'll have to wait for their excellent bacon and meat pies.

Edited by Blackduck59

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It is only inside the supermarket where there are no markings that I find people reach over me, or bump me.  Maybe it is because I'm acutely aware.  

I avoid by standing well back from the shelves until I see what I'm after then, when the coast is clear, I'll go grab my item. If people are reaching over or around you perhaps you may be in their way or taking to long? This does not excuse their impoliteness or lack of respect.

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

How does one respond to that? They couldn't get a jar delivered? In Canada that could open you up to a $750,000.00 fine (yes that is the correct amount of zeros)

I wonder if anyone has been issued that fine though Lyle.   6 young people from Victoria,( Australia) drove up somehow from Vic, got through NSW without being detected, don't know how, arrived at Qld border at Tweed Heads/Coolangatta.  Saw the road blocks, parked their van and walked across the border.  in Qld, spotted by police, few checks done,  and here is a $4000 infringement notice each. You are not coming in.    Muppets.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

I avoid by standing well back from the shelves until I see what I'm after then, when the coast is clear, I'll go grab my item. If people are reaching over or around you perhaps you may be in their way or taking to long? This does not excuse their impoliteness or lack of respect.

ha ha could be!  I don't spend long in the shop.  I try to make sure no-one else is close-by and  I wait if someone else is near an item I want to buy.  

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

We had one Woolies delivery Les, but I couldn't get everything I wanted so decided it really wasn't worth it. I would rather choose my own meat and fruit and vege. I decided to just go early, by the time I have finished my supermarket shopping, the chicken shop is open, so I stop there and the butcher and perhaps the bakery on the way out to the car. Ocassionally go to Aldi or Coles but only if I really need something from there. Aldi is across the road from the pharmacy we go to so may pop in there. 

Leigh

Same here Leigh, some of the substitutes were not what I wanted and like you I like to pick my own meat and veges. Plus they stuffed up my GF bread order, sent me 4 loaves of ordinary bread instead. But when I rang them, they just did a refund on my CC for the bread and I gave that to my daughter, they did not want it back.  The delivery service is good, maybe for canned and dry goods and TP, but not perfect. 

I have just come back from Dan Murphys, now that was real shopping, I am like a kid in a lolly shop when I get in there.  Trouble is it is almost next door to our Eurobodalla Meals on Wheels Distribution Centre where I spend 2 or 3 mornings a week as Coordinator, so Uncle Dan's is too convenient.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Not so far Les but I wouldn't want to test it. I know we have had $1,000.00 or $1,200.00 fines issued to some Americans that said they were going to Alaska but were found in Banff; nowhere near the route to Alaska. I saw a New York license plate today, I have no idea why it was here, unless they have been here since before the border closed.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Not so far Les but I wouldn't want to test it. I know we have had $1,000.00 or $1,200.00 fines issued to some Americans that said they were going to Alaska but were found in Banff; nowhere near the route to Alaska. I saw a New York license plate today, I have no idea why it was here, unless they have been here since before the border closed.

Could have been the blonde haired man in the orange suit.😁Arrived for a game of golf and a Timmy Horton's.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Could have been the blonde haired man in the orange suit.😁

Apparently his home is in Florida now, although for some reason he is staying in public housing for the moment.

Edited by Blackduck59

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Apparently his home is in Florida now, although for some reason he is staying in public housing for the moment.

That big white place in Washington? doing it tough, we should send a few meat pies over to DC.

Nobody with any brains would go to Florida right now with 15000 cases of covid the other day   A lot of vulnerable people too, Florida being the retirement State of the Land of Tipping.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Yep, and while there may not be any ghosts in them, you may need to have the place exorcised for COVID.

Burn all the furniture and spray the whole place down with disinfectant. The only problem would be that now you have a place in Florida. What are you going to do with it? I wouldn't want to live there🥺

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Burn all the furniture and spray the whole place down with disinfectant. The only problem would be that now you have a place in Florida. What are you going to do with it? I wouldn't want to live there🥺

Let it out to some Hispanics?