How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

Said goodbye to son last night in a phone call and not to see him until its all over. Same for other son and 6 month old grandchild. Son already lost his job. Dont plan on going out again unless emergency.  Husband about to finish work and WFH. What will it look look in 6 months.

On 3/24/2020 at 7:56 AM, Docker123 said:

I went passed the electoral office of our state member of parliament.

It is closed. Sign says a non-essential service.

Sums up what many think of our local member.

How weak is the MP.  But then again some of them may as well be closed full time,  some of them are oxygen thieves, can't get a real job.

Edited by NSWP

Day 5 for us being socially isolated. The past two days we have had tradies here replacing our carport roof. Finally we received our insurance payout after hail storm damage in January. We stayed inside and didn’t venture out while they were here. Went for a walk before dark last night, didn’t see one person or car go past. Very quiet, very unusual for our area. Have had FaceTime calls from grandchildren and phone calls and messages from children. Hopefully spend time in the garden tomorrow after going to the supermarket early. Have to buy some fresh fruit and veggies. Stay sane all! 

Leigh

Thinking of all our brave medical personnel.  I have just learnt my neighbour's doctor daughter, working on the front line, was tested for the virus.  She advised she was negative this time.  Imagine working under those conditions.

Prince Charles is positive.  Being a Royalist, I've read that he is a germ freak.  So how did he catch the virus?  Fortunately the Queen hasn't seen her son since 12/3 and is at Windsor Castle.  

I’m still working, as I work in emergency services so I’ll be working right through no matter what (unless I get sick). Right now I’m only going to work and the supermarket. I feel well stocked for the most part, so will just stick with the local IGA and an awesome little middle eastern supermarket we have just across the road.

I was supposed to be on the April 20 Ovation Sydney to Honolulu (which I was so looking forward to!). Royal finally officially cancelled it today. Everyone has been really good with refunds and I won’t need to call insurance for anything. Virgin Australia auto cancelled and refunded (points + pay) my LAX-MEL flight, but it wasn’t clear on what I should do with my Delta HNL-LAX flight which was booked with Velocity points. So I just applied for the travel bank credit and we’ll see what happens.

Shout out to Walk Wellington (Wellington walking tour) for the loveliest email ever re cancellation, it was just a little $30 tour and he cared SO much about his customers. Please book with them if you ever find yourself in Wellington! 

It feels very strange to not be allowed to go anywhere. Not overseas, not interstate, not even camping in my own state. I am not complaining whatsoever, its just a weird feeling! I’m just about to cancel my six weeks of leave. 

So many people impacted in so many ways, I wouldn’t even know where to begin to express my feelings about it. So much uncertainty right now. For those of us in fortunate positions, we just need to help wherever we can. 

• Like 1

Hi Folks

VIP'er (The Wife) and Elsie the MIL are both fine unfortunately I'm not the best with my back pain giving me hell at times.. but went to see TOOTSIE today who had lots of fun with some ingrowing toenails , but we were still friends when we parted.

Its going to be a bleak few months hopefully the sun will smile on us all in due time

best regards

John 

1 hour ago, Tigerlily75 said:

I’m still working, as I work in emergency services so I’ll be working right through no matter what (unless I get sick). Right now I’m only going to work and the supermarket. I feel well stocked for the most part, so will just stick with the local IGA and an awesome little middle eastern supermarket we have just across the road.

I was supposed to be on the April 20 Ovation Sydney to Honolulu (which I was so looking forward to!). Royal finally officially cancelled it today. Everyone has been really good with refunds and I won’t need to call insurance for anything. Virgin Australia auto cancelled and refunded (points + pay) my LAX-MEL flight, but it wasn’t clear on what I should do with my Delta HNL-LAX flight which was booked with Velocity points. So I just applied for the travel bank credit and we’ll see what happens.

Shout out to Walk Wellington (Wellington walking tour) for the loveliest email ever re cancellation, it was just a little $30 tour and he cared SO much about his customers. Please book with them if you ever find yourself in Wellington! 

It feels very strange to not be allowed to go anywhere. Not overseas, not interstate, not even camping in my own state. I am not complaining whatsoever, its just a weird feeling! I’m just about to cancel my six weeks of leave. 

So many people impacted in so many ways, I wouldn’t even know where to begin to express my feelings about it. So much uncertainty right now. For those of us in fortunate positions, we just need to help wherever we can. 

Good idea to let people know about nice people, like Walk Wellington, who care about their customers.  People will remember.

I will remember a little hotel, Saint Domain, in Melbourne which gave me a full refund.  I will stay with them when visiting Melbourne and recommend them to others. 

It is sad that our Old. Premier is having to tell interstate people that they can't holiday in our State - the Sunshine State - the Holiday State.  The borders between Old and NSW closed at midnight Wed.  Both Old and Commonwealth Govts spent a small fortune on advertising to help the tourism industry recover from droughts and bushfires, which is now a waste of money.  The Qld Premier doesn't even want locals to have a BBQ or to holiday within Qld.  She wants us to stay home and keep safe.  

2 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi Folks

VIP'er (The Wife) and Elsie the MIL are both fine unfortunately I'm not the best with my back pain giving me hell at times.. but went to see TOOTSIE today who had lots of fun with some ingrowing toenails , but we were still friends when we parted.

Its going to be a bleak few months hopefully the sun will smile on us all in due time

best regards

John 

Sorry to hear your back pain is giving you hell.  Is your back pain chronic pain?  

41 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry to hear your back pain is giving you hell.  Is your back pain chronic pain?  

Yep  its with me every hour of every day just some days are better  than others ....and the medication does not always help..Oh well must not moan too much time for a nice late night snack of Panadine forte .........

Regards

John

1 hour ago, VK3DQ said:

Yep  its with me every hour of every day just some days are better  than others ....and the medication does not always help..Oh well must not moan too much time for a nice late night snack of Panadine forte .........

Regards

John

I'm sorry to hear that.  I remember learning in Workers Compensation, chronic back pain was the major problem. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Day 7 - I'm loosing count already. 

Inspiration - Wintley Phipps singing Amazing Grace on Today Show (US).   Pastor with the most beautiful speaking and singing voice.  You can download this hymn from his website for free 

Queues of cars at the Tweed/Coolangatta border on first day of border closure.  Had to laugh at lady who said she thought it would be just a couple of policemen on the side of the road.  NO, they want you to know they are serious.  No interstate visitors!  Trouble is, a large number of the cars will belong to locals, who travel to and fro.

Where were the wise public servants advising the Premier/Ministers that they needed to have a system in place in advance to identify cars entitled to travel to an fro across the border?  Even my daughter lives in Old and worked in NSW.  

Has anyone else noticed the lack of planning prior to implementation of new rules and regulations?

Edited by MMDown Under

On 3/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, MMDown Under said:

Did surgeon make any suggestions re preferable date?

Sorry, missed this post.

The surgeon had recommended last November, but I went cruising, and to visit my mother, instead.

It is now cancelled as it does not meet the criteria for the more severe cat 2  cases. Just have to talk to them again today to get it all squared away. 

Edited by Docker123

5 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Regards

John

John, hit your Doctor up for some Endone, they make the Panadeine Forte seem like jelly beans. I'm allowed 3 per 24 hours but I don't use that many as they make me like a zombie, great pain killers for back problems, mines degenerative and inoperable.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Has anyone else noticed the lack of planning prior to implementation of new rules and regulations?

Yes, especially the one about a maximum of 30 minutes at the hairdressers - which has been promptly rescinded. No time limit now. I suspect some male politicians were given a reality check by their wives and daughters, especially those who have their hair coloured regularly. 🤣

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Sorry, missed this post.

The surgeon had recommended last November, but I went cruising, and to visit my mother, instead.

It is now cancelled as it does not meet the criteria for the more severe cat 2  cases. Just have to talk to them again today to get it all squared away. 

So will you make an appointment for a date in the future, when the virus will hopefully just be a memory.

Not a good time to be in hospital now anyway. 

52 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

John, hit your Doctor up for some Endone, they make the Panadeine Forte seem like jelly beans. I'm allowed 3 per 24 hours but I don't use that many as they make me like a zombie, great pain killers for back problems, mines degenerative and inoperable.

I had an elderly friend, in her 90s, who I used to visit in a nursing home.  She would be in pain, but used to make sure the staff only gave her Endone at the correct times.  

Edited by MMDown Under

34 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, especially the one about a maximum of 30 minutes at the hairdressers - which has been promptly rescinded. No time limit now. I suspect some male politicians were given a reality check by their wives and daughters, especially those who have their hair coloured regularly. 🤣

I actually question the need to keep hairdressers open. Surely in what is happening in the world at this time,  hair appointments are down the list of priorities. It is also  hard to have socail distancing while having your hair washed, coloured and cut. I know a visit to the hairdresser can give us a lift but.......

I had an appointment scheduled for just after Easter but my hairdresser contacted her clients yesterday to advise she was closing her salon as long as neccessary. She has parents in the older age group and young children who are looked after by her mother. She feels it was the best decision for all to make. If it is months that salons have to be closed so be it. I may have to learn to trim my own hair! 

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

So will you make an appointment for a date in the future, when the virus will hopefully just be a memory.

Not a good time to be in hospital now anyway. 

I will need a time in the future, but not sure how they are going to handle bookings in this uncertain climate.  

I was discussing options with one of my gps yesterday, before the cancellation announcement .  He said the particular hospital would be one of the safest places to be.  However, agreed that being discharged a week later into who knows what became a greater risk.

18 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

On the bright side, all my favourite takeaways are still open

Dan Murphy's

vintage cellars

liquorland

williamstown fine wines

Did you see that WA  is putting the 3 bottle limit on wine.... but you can till buy a 1 litre bottle of Gin for G&T or Martinis...

( also a video of panic buying at Dans in brighton the other day )

Hairdressers i cut my own as well as the better half''s, then she trims up the back of mine.......

As time the further time goes on..... I am feeling less confident.... still so many people one and about.....

what is this thing the called ""lockdown""

And can only buy about 3-4 days food at once... to eat fresh.... do not want to go the TakeAway route..

at the most we only keep about six dinners in stocks......   Oh well time for that crash diet ......

Cheers and look on the bright side of life.... Don

Edited by getting older slowly
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I actually question the need to keep hairdressers open. Surely in what is happening in the world at this time,  hair appointments are down the list of priorities. It is also  hard to have socail distancing while having your hair washed, coloured and cut. I know a visit to the hairdresser can give us a lift but...….

20 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

On the bright side, all my favourite takeaways are still open

Dan Murphy's

vintage cellars

liquorland

williamstown fine wines

I am very happy for all of you to have your alcohol (which is not really essential) and I can live without it for the duration of the close down.

The hairdresser - let those of us who prefer a hair appointment to have it while they are not been shut down please.

24 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I will need a time in the future, but not sure how they are going to handle bookings in this uncertain climate.  

I was discussing options with one of my gps yesterday, before the cancellation announcement .  He said the particular hospital would be one of the safest places to be.  However, agreed that being discharged a week later into who knows what became a greater risk.

Unfortunately it is not just the hospitals, but the medical staff, who have a higher rate of infection than the general population.  Angela Merkel caught the virus from her doctor vaccinating her for pneumonia.