How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

3 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

The family gathering spread to a school and then into the towers. All have now been connected through tracing.

There is also a connection to security guards at the quarantine hotels. The health dept doesn't yet know which happened first - the school or the towers. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I found a really good one in Frith St in Soho many years ago. It looks like it's still there - Bar Italia. Probably a family business.

Yes there are some great little cafes in Soho.  I can always find them again (if they are still there), but don't remember their names.  Bar Italia sounds like a good find. 

33 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Leigh, those are unfortunate numbers. Did all this come from the shoddy security at the quarantine hotels? Have they got good contact tracing data? Also are the "security" guards or companies facing charges?

The Victoria Government did it on the cheap Lyle. Hiring a security company or companies, that gave guards 5 minutes training and allegedly some did not possess security licences. As Leigh said, enquiry is ongoing.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes there are some great little cafes in Soho.  I can always find them again (if they are still there), but don't remember their names.  Bar Italia sounds like a good find. 

Soho was always the red light district in London, probably still is.  You know, 'Ladies of the Night' and 'Boys of the Night' these days and sometimes something in between.   Just like Kings Cross was when I did my 'apprenticeship' there, 67-70.👮‍♂️ If you know what I mean.

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, it is a mixture, but I wouldn't go there at night.  

Well having originally been transported to the 'Colony from the Mother country and having had a father who was an East Ender, Cockney, I know these things.  Yes, still a lot of murders and other serious crimes etc up in Soho, from reading the London periodicals, as I do.  As for King Cross it has really quietened down from the Halycon days of the 60's and 70's.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Might be good idea to drive up via the inland route and return via the coastal route.  Coolangatta/Tweed is always busy in peak hour, without the extra visitors who can now visit Queensland from today.  

Just saw an interview on TV with a man who got to the Goondiwindi border around 6 am.  He wanted to be first through at noon.  

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Soho was always the red light district in London, probably still is.  You know, 'Ladies of the Night' and 'Boys of the Night' these days and sometimes something in between.   Just like Kings Cross was when I did my 'apprenticeship' there, 67-70.👮‍♂️ If you know what I mean.

I was pregnant with our first child, when we had a holiday in Sydney. Neither of us had much knowledge of Sydney at the time so of course didn't realise that the hotel my husband booked was very close to Kings Cross or right on the border of it - the Gazebo, the round building in Elzabeth Bay. My husband was propositioned while we were out for a walk. Boy the sights this country girl saw for the first time!

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I was pregnant with our first child, when we had a holiday in Sydney. Neither of us had much knowledge of Sydney at the time so of course didn't realise that the hotel my husband booked was very close to Kings Cross or right on the border of it - the Gazebo, the round building in Elzabeth Bay. My husband was propositioned while we were out for a walk. Boy the sights this country girl saw for the first time!

Leigh

Know the Gazebo, had a lemonade or two there and many others around there, dark days. Good that your hubby had a good country girl on his arm, Leigh.😇

• Like 1

Oh I remember the Gazebo too!  Nice joint. 🤫

First memory of Kings Cross (Sydney) was 1964 my first holiday.  I had turned 14 and been to a Beatles concert at Festival Hall in Melbourne.  Yes, I know, RockQuiz would be soooo impressed!  My Mum (a serious career woman) was sent to Brisbane then to Sydney for 3 weeks for work.  She had the intervening week off so Dad and I flew up to Sydney to spend that week with her.  First 'serious' flight in a plane ... TAA Electra!!!!  So much excitement.  Anyhow, Mum met us at the arrival gate in Sydney and off we went to our "hotel" which suited us very well.  Room for 2 adults and one child with a small kitchen.  But I digress .....

First night in Syney we all hop in a taxi to go to Kings Cross.  WOW, it was dark, it was late but it was lit up like a Xmas tree and everything was open!  LOL certainly not at all like Melbourne back in 1964.  We wandered up and down and across the road and up and down again. 

So, to cut a long story short .... we come across a couple of drag queens posing on the sidewalk.  Dad and I walk past them and wink knowingly at each other, but Mum stands still and looks ... and looks ... and looks again.  Dad nudges me *giggle* *giggle* and I *wink* *wink* and grin at Dad.  Mum finally walks up to us and says ... "They are men!!!!!!"  Of course Dad and I fall apart with laughter "What took you so long to figure it out, love?" says Dad.  Yep, Dad and I laughed about that for years.  We fell in love with Kings Cross ... but back then it was almost benign.  And best of all, the delis were open late so we could buy delish polish sausage, delish cheese and plenty of other condiments!!!!  Yes, there were drugs, there was violance but it wasn't on the street for all to see.  The good old days as far as I was concerned.  Back then I think, people had respect.  Sadly not like today.  No self-control anymore.  Maybe they're too busy on their stupid phones?

• Like 1

Whenever I visited Sydney, I always stayed at CWA Accommodation at Potts Point/Kings Cross, until it closed. After the theatre, I'd walk home alone, at a brisk pace, from Kings Cross Station.  I still stay at a hotel nearby, as I like the suburb.

For a few years before I moved overseas I lived in a company supplied apartment on the Rushcutters Bay side of The Cross in Potts point. What I discovered is that as a local it strongly resembles a village, with all the varieties of people one would expect. When you are recognised as a "Local" its surprising what a great place it is  for a bachelor in his mid 30's to live. I found a little Mom&Pop Italian restaurant where I used to eat regularly, and after a while I was treated long a long lost son. 

After posting I read Mic's post and have to agree with his early morning observation. Mostly though, with a few exceptions, the trouble and problems were from the "Non Locals".

Edited by Russell21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

For a few years before I moved overseas I lived in a company supplied apartment on the Rushcutters Bay side of The Cross in Potts point. What I discovered is that as a local it strongly resembles a village, with all the varieties of people one would expect. When you are recognised as a "Local" its surprising what a great place it is  for a bachelor in his mid 30's to live. I found a little Mom&Pop Italian restaurant where I used to eat regularly, and after a while I was treated long a long lost son. 

After posting I read Mic's post and have to agree with his early morning observation. Mostly though, with a few exceptions, the trouble and problems were from the "Non Locals".

During my experience at the Cross, late 60's, early 70's. Majority of trouble, brawls, assaults etc were from the roving groups of youths and men from other suburbs, out on a bucks night, or just walking the streets to cause trouble.  Many of them, because they were very intoxicated had been refused entry to pubs, strip clubs, bars etc so were angry and aggressive.  Policing was a challenge up there, that is all I can say. I was up there when the Vietnam War was on and the Americans and many Aussie troops too came to town for 5 days R&R. They spent 3 months pay in 5 days on girls, booze, drugs and everything under the sun.  They were not that much trouble, the American MP's could control them with a bit of assistance from NSW Police.  Most police were very tolerant in their handling of errant US soldiers, marines, sailors and airmen, most had been to hell and back in Vietnam.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just saw an interview on TV with a man who got to the Goondiwindi border around 6 am.  He wanted to be first through at noon.  

Further TV interview.  "How long since you have been with your girlfriend?  I haven't met her.  We met on the internet."  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Here I am modelling the latest Melbourne fashions for daily exercise. 

42B66251-8701-43E1-B9EF-E11147076C11.thumb.jpeg.06847041d4ef10bea536915da2981d97.jpeg

I think I might make some fabric ones. I went to pick up my new specs this morning at a big shopping centre. I was there when the optometrist opened and out within a few minutes. Didn't even have to pay for parking! I did notice that although it wasn't busy at that time, there were quite a few people wearing masks. I think it is something we have to get used to.

Leigh

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I think I might make some fabric ones. I went to pick up my new specs this morning at a big shopping centre. I was there when the optometrist opened and out within a few minutes. Didn't even have to pay for parking! I did notice that although it wasn't busy at that time, there were quite a few people wearing masks. I think it is something we have to get used to.

Leigh

Yes, I think it's advisable these days. Chemist Warehouse have packs of 50 non-reusable masks for $59.99 and free delivery. I just bought a pack in case Sydney gets a outbreak. Then at least we've got something until I can get to a fabric shop to get stuff to make reusable ones. Our local shopping centre is getting a bit scary these days, too many people who aren't careful about social distancing. 😱

I've started making facemasks using leftover fabric from various sewing projects.  Found an easy tutorial on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU

I've also got plenty of thread ... does it matter if the thread collour doesn't exactly match the fabric colour?  LOL, don't fancy a shopping trip to Spotlight or Lincraft right now.  We are back into lockdown where I live.