How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The places they went to while they were ill, now have to close for deep cleaning. I would like to see these young women paying for the deep cleaning and the loss of business while it is carried out.

I'd like to see them have to do a period of community service.  In an ICU ward, dressed in full protective gear, would be a good start.

To me everything has got back to the state as it was a few weeks ago. We had restaurants and cafes opened, we even had some sort of a city celebration with like a parade or something. I wonder when I will be able to go to the gym again as they are closed right now. Staying at home for so long definitely effects your body 

I've always drank coffee (and brewed it) made by immigrants in my neighborhoods using either the pot highlighted in yellow for brown coffee (illy, Lavazza, Medaglia d'Oro, or at times, a supermarket brand, depending upon the budget of the household; this was pre-gourmet coffee era) and the espresso or caffe maker, for the black coffee, (also, illy, Lavazza, Medaglia d'Oro; more options there now too, just no supermarket brands) and in some other households, you may have had Bustelo being used where the Lavazza or Illy was used. GREAT COFFEE!!

Also, it comes down to, as you know, what's coffee (big cup) versus café (little cup) as often the word coffee will be used by many around the world to mean little cup (aka black coffee, aka espresso), not big cup coffee. And now, we have the popularity of beverages that use black coffee in larger cup drinks (coffee drinks??) like lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos, etc. 

It's just a matter of what suits your palette and what's available. But I've read and read and read about it and other than the percolator, the french press (I think this might be the one I have or similar) is my go to. Stainless steel, double or triple walled, works for me. I sort of blend my own (and sometimes grind my own beans) because my tastes change and I like medium roasts but hanker for the taste of a darker roast blended in. I have no limits this way. I've had my grinder for years and when you get the hang of it you can grind to the coarseness of whatever maker you are using. Commercial is either over or under ground. 

I couldn't stand reading about drinking not great coffee and while I can't help with a lot from far away, maybe this can help a little. Also, hit me up next you're in the states; there are definitely cafés where you can sit and while away; not so much in Midtown Manhattan where it's almost definitely grab and go although some have a few seats (there's one on 40th and Broadway that has a good amount of seating, it's just LOUD. We don't always have the terraces like Paris, but cafés are a thing....actually everything is outside now but even before that, it had taken hold awhile ago. And this is a place too where you can make anywhere your own outdoor café and no one will care. Grab a coffee, sit down, watch people, chill out. I'll find them for you anywhere. 

Hang in there, everyone. It's hard but little comforts matter a lot now, so make good coffee. If you're a customer at a cafe, maybe they'll sell you some of what they use that you can keep at home as a secret stash for comfort if it's not easy to order privately. You never know. 

Hugs from another hemisphere and I miss it there so much but one of my bosses is from NSW so I get to hear her lovely voice often 🙂 

259331734_ScreenShot2020-07-29at11_31_19AM.thumb.png.34c4f7f1a8ec42ee7087647f61f6f537.png

Coffee.thumb.png.819ec2591620b4be8da12150fb613567.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting video.

I am not a fan of Starbucks for their coffee, however when travelling abroad, we do use them just like MacDonald's, as they offer a product we know (not necessarily love), but more importantly, clean toilets and free wifi (with a purchase). That said, we normally buy the Mango Frappe at Starbucks rather than a coffee.

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Interesting video.

I am not a fan of Starbucks for their coffee, however when travelling abroad, we do use them just like MacDonald's, as they offer a product we know (not necessarily love), but more importantly, clean toilets and free wifi (with a purchase). That said, we normally buy the Mango Frappe at Starbucks rather than a coffee.

Ditto except I prefer the Mocha Frappuccino.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf cafes were always my go-to choice when visiting Singapore. They have some yummy Ice Blended drinks. Plus they take a while to drink which forces me to sit and relax for a while.

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Interesting video.

We have had breakfast at Starbucks when travelling as it was convenient. Hate the coffee though! Hot chocolate was ok.

Leigh

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We have had breakfast at Starbucks when travelling as it was convenient. Hate the coffee though! Hot chocolate was ok.

Leigh

Starbucks espressos are OK if you can't get an espresso anywhere else. But last resort only! As is Costa Coffee in the UK. 

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hopefully those two women will get hit with serious penalties - a heafty fine and possible jail time. Plus they should name and shame them.

Their faces are all over the internet now.  Unfortunately, they are not co-operating with the authorities with regards to their movements to allow for proper tracing.  Appalling behaviour all round.  Authorities want them to face court.  Let's hope it happens.

20 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I’m going for a walk outside tomorrow afternoon. 

So, off I went to hospital Monday last week. It was shown that contrary to popular opinion, I did indeed have a spine.  Quite a bit was removed (C3-6 laminectomy and associated adjustments). Long time sleepbies. 

Guess what, this surgery hurts. A lot. Pain team every day adjusting meds to try and get control.

A new experience for me was being the subject of a MET team call. Oxygen, bloods taken, 2 ecgs , 10 minute obs. All the fun of the fair, with no social distancing in y stateroom.  Off the the CT machine. Not a cardiac event, pulmonary embolism.

It became like a medical convention.  Nurses all over, icu doc, my surgeon, physician, my oncologist (who is also a haematologist). Stabilised that, unpleasant injections into the abdomen twice a day. Three months of pills after discharge. Travel insurance, not likely.

transferred to the rehab facility on Sunday. Probably here a couple of weeks.  Twice daily physio. Occupational therapy. Pain management. Boredom. All staff now wearing masks and visors. Going to gym or common facilities, patients now wearing masks.

Good good good news. Most of the original pain has disappeared.

cheers ... adrian

Not good. Take care and speedy recovery.

12 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Their faces are all over the internet now.  Unfortunately, they are not co-operating with the authorities with regards to their movements to allow for proper tracing.  Appalling behaviour all round.  Authorities want them to face court.  Let's hope it happens.

I heard one is cooperating, one refusing to say where she has been

They are now reported to have held a party whilst in Melbourne were 20 people attended. All have been identified and fined. The article also reports that one of the women has co-operated with detectives and public health officials, while the other is refusing to speak to authorities. They are expected to be charged today. I say throw the book at them.  Source

Apparently it's only one of them who isn't co-operating.

It's almost time for the states to set up some sort of internment camps. Anyone who refuses to follow state coronavirus directives gets shipped off to one of those until the pandemic is over. Military guards, basic rations, confined to quarters apart from one hour supervised exercise a day. No internet so they can't spew their nonsense over social media. One phone call a week to a designated person only.

Oh, I nearly forgot, they can't wear their own clothes, they get a choice of puce or chartreuse track suits only. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Social shaming will only go so far, I doubt that many of those in their social circle will look on this as embarrassing. More likely it will be a boost to the "status" of the offenders. A swift prosecution with some jail time and appropriate community service may have some impact. Of course a mandatory quarantine (perhaps in a jail cell rather than a hotel room) might make a dent in their arrogance but probably not.

Edited by Blackduck59

Well, I had my little drive out to Mudgee Monday, 6 hr drive with a couple of short stops. Did a couple of wineries and looked around the area. However, disaster struck at Tuesday night dinner at a local Chinese. I inadvertently had a pork rib sharp bone, tear inside of mouth, the ridge above front teeth, blood everywhere. That night too much 🩸 Went to Mudgee Hosp, they were short staffed and asked me to come back next day, wednesday morning early, decided to return home, still bleeding bad. Arrived at Batemans Bay A and E, straight into dr, needles, wadding, stiches. Seems to have fixed it fingers crossed. the motel owner was not overly impressed with blood every where on bed, like a murder scene. Anyway Mudgee is nice, but watch out for the chinese ribs. anyway nice holiday story .🥢Now soft rations for few days. Red wine and soft cheese sounds ok, no rice crackers

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's almost time for the states to set up some sort of internment camps. Anyone who refuses to follow state coronavirus directives gets shipped off to one of those until the pandemic is over. Military guards, basic rations, confined to quarters apart from one hour supervised exercise a day. No internet so they can't spew their nonsense over social media. One phone call a week to a designated person only.

I suggest Christmas Island or Nauru 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Les, sorry your road trip was cut short. Sounds like a bit of bother with your mouth. When you are able splice the main brace. Be well, cheers, Lyle

Rum and coke is soft. Yes a pain in the A..S. Lyle

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

However, disaster struck at Tuesday night dinner at a local Chinese. I inadvertently had a pork rib sharp bone, tear inside of mouth, the ridge above front teeth, blood everywhere. That night too much 🩸

watch out for the chinese ribs. anyway nice holiday story .🥢

That would have been very painful. Did the vino lessen the pain?

4 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I suggest Christmas Island or Nauru 

Do you have any unused military bases in the outback? Lots of sand, few amenites (out houses cared for by internees, hand pumped water wells. Maybe a nice tent to sleep in. Of course the staff would have full service air conditioned lodging.