How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

16 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

The death rate from this virus is quite low - it is not zero% however and never will be. 6 people have died from the virus in Qld this year - while 140 people have been killed on Qld roads in the same time . Don't know how many have died from cancer and metabolic disease (mainly caused by obesity/lack of physical activity).  This virus is the least of my worries - at age 73. 

Barry,You would be worried if you lived in Victoria, what has happened there could happen in Qld, NSW. Anyway best wishes to all in Victoria, follow the rules and stay safe.

• Like 1

I really don't want to start a row here, or wear out my welcome with my friends down under but this has started down a bit of a nasty path. To suggest the virus should be disregarded because there are x number of fatalities in whatever area, be it Queensland or my own Vancouver Island; and that is much less than this or that or the next common cause of death is short sighted to say the least. The low death rate is a direct result of the heavy measures taken by health authorities in both our countries. "One life saved is not necessarily worth 1000 lives ruined" really? So if it is your life or that of a loved one then it's not worth??? By the way being ugly, or stupid isn't a crime. Disregarding the health of others for one's own selfish interests could be.

Edited by Blackduck59
clarified a sentence
  • Like 8

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I really don't want to start a row here, or wear out my welcome with my friends down under but this has started down a bit of a nasty path. To suggest the virus should be disregarded because there are x number of fatalities in whatever area, be it Queensland or my own Vancouver Island; and that is much less than this or that or the next common cause of death is short sighted to say the least. The low death rate is a direct result of the heavy measures taken by health authorities in both our countries. "One life saved is not necessarily worth 1000 lives ruined" really? So if it is your life or that of a loved one then it's not worth??? By the way being ugly, or stupid isn't a crime. Disregarding the health of others for your one's own selfish interests could be.

Totally agree with you Lyle. This virus spreads like wildfire, complacency could be a death wish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One only has to look at what is happening in Victoria to understand what would happen if this virus gets out of hand. Already many health workers have been infected an cannot work. This puts additional strain on the health system. This has been a problem in outbreak areas all around the world. The virus cannot be allowed to run riot in the community. Stay safe 😷

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Stage 4 restrictions are in place from 6pm on Sunday 2 August for metropolitan Melbourne

Stage 3 restrictions will be in place from 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August for Regional Victoria, including Mitchell Shire

Also as from today everyone in regional Victoria has to wear a mask when they leave their homes/property. 

Leigh

Perisher NSW has no positive cases, but is a hotspot following the discovery of Corona Virus in the sewerage system. 

I was surprised when my daughter chose to attend a seminar on sewerage at the Woodford Folk Festival.  However, she said the talk was the most interesting with regard to what they can learn from testing the treated sewerage.  

The paradoxical nature of prevention in public health is that you don’t want anything to happen, or really low numbers against comparison samples.

So low Covid death rates are an indicator of a relatively successful strategy.  We draw comparisons with other countries and their actions to justify this.  NZ, harder lockdown led to better success.  Sweden herd immunity, minimal lockdown, death rates vastly higher.

Comparisons to car rates is a bit problematic. If we locked all vehicles up for a few months, the death rates would drop. Not going to happen. But the use of various prevention strategies over the last few decade (seat belts, speed limits, alcohol limits, safety engineering,etc.) have seen road tolls decline by about 2/3.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, bazzaw said:

The death rate from this virus is quite low - it is not zero% however and never will be. 6 people have died from the virus in Qld this year - while 140 people have been killed on Qld roads in the same time . Don't know how many have died from cancer and metabolic disease (mainly caused by obesity/lack of physical activity).  This virus is the least of my worries - at age 73. 

People with cancer, diabetes and road accident victims did not interfere or change my lifestyle like this disease has. No more cruising for the foreseeable future, no overseas  or interstate travel, visiting friends and relatives etc.

• Like 3

While we, in this state, can still move about I decided take the GoldWing for a breakfast ride to the Tourist Information Centre cafe at Maitland. They do a nice bacon & egg roll which goes down well with a medium, extra hot, no sugar, cappuccino.

On the way I spotted this street sign and thought "who would want to live there?". Hmm?

perks.jpg

Edited by lyndarra
spelling typo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

Reported today that a Sydney-sider left some COVID-19 in Western Newcastle after they visited last week.  No reported transmission...yet.🤞

A testing station was set up at Warner's Bay this morning. Massive traffic jams now.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Hey lyndarra I see you made sure the scooter was in the shot, having cruised to that location what perks did you receive? I suspect there was an extra charge for the specialty restaurant where you got the breakfast roll.

No perks but I was able to get a nice table outside in the sun, only two other customers inside, and a nice view of a park where I could watch the birds and passing traffic in the distance heading towards East Gut Town. Coffee and roll $9.

7 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I wish I had your confidence.  This virus is the top of my worries.  I have friends in Florida, NY and London, so have been following the virus and its after effects since its inception in those countries.  For people of our advanced years, survival from the Virus can be just the beginning of the long recovery process.  

Edited by MMDown Under

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

No perks but I was able to get a nice table outside in the sun, only two other customers inside, and a nice view of a park where I could watch the birds and passing traffic in the distance heading towards East Gut Town. Coffee and roll $9.

Sounds like a lovely outing at a bargain price.  Lucky we have a lot of outside eating places at the Coast from which to choose.  Haven't gone through all of them yet!

The Trans Tasman bubble now seems further and further away and that will definitely affect cruising down under. Under normal circumstances the ships in the Northern Hemisphere would be heading our way within the next month or so. That is definitely not going to happen. I note in the news over the past couple of days one of the NCL ships has COVID 19 on board and apparently the Paul Gaugin in Tahiti also has COVID 19 on board  Chystal cruises are reported as having cancelled 2020 as a cruising year and I wonder just how long the big boys will do the same. the CDC in the USA doesn't appear to be in any hurry to lift sailing restrictions on USA ships and to top things off there are approx. $NZ 1.5 billion in refunds still outstanding to NZ customers. Many of us are worried that our Travel Agents who are seeking these refunds will still be around in a couple of months after the Government wage subsidies stop on 1 September.

The pandemic in Australia is starting to get out of control. If only the locals obeyed the instructions to stay at home. then the authorities can get on top of the pandemic. We in NZ obeyed the rules and have had no Community transmission since April 28th and despite that govt officials still want to test us. Test us for what I ask you . All our Covid 19 is being imported and caught at the border. But life goes on

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Also as from today everyone in regional Victoria has to wear a mask when they leave their homes/property. 

Leigh

Good luck with it all Leigh, thinking of you and your fellow Victorians at this time.👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Stage 4 restrictions are in place from 6pm on Sunday 2 August for metropolitan Melbourne

Stage 3 restrictions will be in place from 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August for Regional Victoria, including Mitchell Shire

Is there a Stage 5 and Stage 6 ? I shudder to think.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

While we, in this state, can still move about I decided take the GoldWing for a breakfast ride to the Tourist Information Centre cafe at Maitland. They do a nice bacon & egg roll which goes down well with a medium, extra hot, no sugar, cappuccino.

On the way I spotted this street sign and thought "who would want to live there?". Hmm?

perks.jpg

So you took the back streets. 

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Had a very nice b&e roll from a little shop in the centre that has iga etc at Broadmeadow. 

Stage 4 in NZ was a little tougher than you have in Victoria. The only places that were open in NZ for our Stage 4 were petrol stations, chemists and supermarkets and corner dairies. Everything else was shut and bubbles at the start of lockdown had to remain until stage 3. People over 70 were recommended to stay at home and others would do their shopping for them. No visitors to home were permitted. Social distancing for those at supermarkets was rigidly enforced in fact it became the norm. Supermarkets were limited to numbers inside the shop in fact it got quite eirie with the silence. Stage 3 was similar except the bubbles could be enlarged. Thousands were dobbed in for breaking the rules and police stopped cars to ascertain why someone was driving and where they were going. It was bloody tough but it worked. Aussies in order to beat this must also follow similar rules. Beaches, golf courses and the like were off limits until level two