MSc magnifica off WA coast

And heading supposedly for Fremantle. Was to refuel in Fremantle on way to Dubai. WA authorities preparing for the worst scenario and seeking Federal assistance.

Edited by megsie

WA Premier and his government has refused berthing and disembarkation @ Fremantle, at this time.  They stated they do not want a repeat of the Ruby Princess problem from last week in Sydney, they say.   Media reports 250 pax  of 1700 on board reporting upper respiratory problems.  All Europeans, Germans, Italians etc.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8141317/Cruise-ship-1-700-passengers-board-wont-allowed-dock-Australia.html

A cruise ship with 1,7000 foreigners on board has been blocked from disembarking in Western Australia after reporting more than 250 passengers on board with a 'respiratory illness'.

Premier Mark McGowan says more than 1,700 people are on board the MSC Magnifica cruise ship.

'I'm advised all passengers are from overseas - Germany, France and Italy. This morning I contacted the Prime Minister and have spoken to the Home Affairs Minister, Peter Dutton, to explain my priority is to protect West Australians.

Click link to read rest of article. 

31 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8141317/Cruise-ship-1-700-passengers-board-wont-allowed-dock-Australia.html

A cruise ship with 1,7000 foreigners on board has been blocked from disembarking in Western Australia after reporting more than 250 passengers on board with a 'respiratory illness'.

Premier Mark McGowan says more than 1,700 people are on board the MSC Magnifica cruise ship.

'I'm advised all passengers are from overseas - Germany, France and Italy. This morning I contacted the Prime Minister and have spoken to the Home Affairs Minister, Peter Dutton, to explain my priority is to protect West Australians.

Click link to read rest of article. 

This is a terrible situation. I hope the Federal government is able to render assistance.

If passengers on board the MSC Magnifica have coronavirus, critically ill passengers will not be able to be cared for on board. Japan did their best when the Diamond Princess docked with confirmed cases. Yes, I know it went wrong later, but they did supply medical teams and other assistance.

3 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

MSC Magnifica has been in Hobart where the captain wouldn't allow pax off and Sydney over the past couple of weeks. Does anyone know if the pax were able to get off in Sydney?

And Melbourne I think as last port. There must have been ill people onboard then too. WA cannot cope with this many people. 

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

MSC Magnifica has been in Hobart where the captain wouldn't allow pax off and Sydney over the past couple of weeks. Does anyone know if the pax were able to get off in Sydney?

I thought that was a strange situation at the time.  It was reported ship was protecting passengers from the virus in Tassie, which was such small numbers, at that time.  I know a member of staff got off the ship in Hobart and didn't get on.  I saw him interviewed.  

If the ship is permitted to dock in Fremantle, but no-one disembark, assistance can be given. I believe that MSC management should send a large medical team and supplies. They could be transported from the airport straight to the ship.

We have probably all experienced a 'kennel cough' on a ship, but the symptoms are quite mild, with either no elevated temperature or slight temp. For this to hit the news, it's likely the medical team on board believes they are dealing with more than a mild virus. They would probably have two doctors and a few nurses, if the Aussie Princess ships are anything to go by. I can't imagine how they would be feeling, dealing with 250 ill people, most elderly. If it is coronavirus, some will become seriously ill and some critically.

Edited by Aus Traveller

The home port for MSC is Italy - just what they need. 😳

I think we could have been a little more compassionate of our fellow man, these are sad days and can’t imagine how our fellow cruisers must be feeling on board this ship. 😢

Edited by Porky55

Yeah, they followed us around Milford Sound 12 days ago & was behind us the very next day, crossing the ditch. Which we both. Passed The Ruby Princess.. They went south To Hobart & we went north to Melbourne..

While in Melbourne that day, we heard they had problems. So did we. A P&O ship in Brisbane had it's cruise cancelled. On the day of departure & we thought we wouldn't leave for a 2 nighter just to Sydney... 

They left Hobart on Saturday, but didn't come into Sydney until Wednesday morning. We got to Sydney on Monday morning safely...

Hope the passengers get back to Europe safely & healthy...

42 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Marine Traffic is showing off the coast at Cottesloe  heading into the port at Fremantle.

local time around 4.50 am Tuesday 24 th Mar.

And Border Control and WA police are ensuring that no one disembarks. I guess that's the lesson we had to have after Ruby Princess. 

Marine Traffic shows MSC Magnifica's next port after Fremantle as Dubai.  Last time I heard,  Dubai was also refusing cruise ships, that is why Arcadia had to go the long way around Africa for a bunkering and re supply in Durban.   If it happens, Freo to Venice or wherever Magnifica goes in Italia via Africa is some journey, about 5 weeks.

They could well run out of spaget, garlic, chianti and peroni.🤐

But then again the Arabs might prefer the Italians to the British.

Edited by NSWP

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

According to Marine Traffic, Pacific Princess is heading to Sydney. !! Oh no.

That be the world cruise? Maybe best if they turn around and went home.  No way are Australia going to let cruiseships dock after Ruby Princess debacle.

Why are people still cruising. Should have stopped this three weeks ago.  

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

That be the world cruise? Maybe best if they turn around and went home.  No way are Australia going to let cruiseships dock after Ruby Princess debacle.

Why are people still cruising. Should have stopped this three weeks ago.  

Pacific Princess is on a world cruise. She left Fort Lauderdale on 5th January, and has cruised via LA and the Pacific and Australia and was in the Indian Ocean when the cruising 'pause' was put in place by Princess. She was to be in South Africa in early April. As far as I can work out, Pacific Princess turned back towards Australia, presumably to make her way back to USA.

I agree with the comment, that the Australian government could not let the Pacific Princess dock. Maybe they could allow re-fuelling and re-provisioning.

The Pacific Princess docked in Freemantle--Perth-- a couple days ago and almost everyone got off and flew home.  A few were allowed to stay on and the Pacific Princess is on their way to LA.  Who know what will happen when they get there.