Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
teamflames

Magnifica has 250 passengers with flu symptoms

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I understand it's at tender in Fremantle. Australia has closed its borders to non citizens. The ship reports no illness on board. It is fully fuelled and provisioned. There is no more for Australia to do. 

 

Live marine traffic shows Magnifica just doing slow circles outside of Perth/Fremantle. 

 

image.png.973312a50b4dab68dcc231eb218331b2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, icat2000 said:

Like I said tough times at the moment. 80% of infections have come from overseas or people returning from overseas or stupid tourists not quarantine themselves. We cannot get some Australians to observe social distancing. There is going to be some very hard times for a lot of people including myself until we wake up and start taking things seriously.

 

Sure I don’t doubt no Australians onboard factored in the no decision. 

 

The facts are -

Cruise ship visits to Australia were banned. 

The two cruise ships not given permission to disembark passengers (unless they needed urgent hospital care) were not scheduled to stop in Fremantle.

Vasta da Garma, with many Aussie and Kiwi, plus a few Brit, passengers was scheduled to stop in Fremantle.  The WA Government has cleared Rottnest Island for Aussie passengers to be placed in quarantine there for 14 days. 

The WA Government has learnt from the Ruby Princess experience, where people infected by the virus are now scattered all over Aust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The facts are -

Cruise ship visits to Australia were banned. 

The two cruise ships not given permission to disembark passengers (unless they needed urgent hospital care) were not scheduled to stop in Fremantle.

Vasta da Garma, with many Aussie and Kiwi, plus a few Brit, passengers was scheduled to stop in Fremantle.  The WA Government has cleared Rottnest Island for Aussie passengers to be placed in quarantine there for 14 days. 

The WA Government has learnt from the Ruby Princess experience, where people infected by the virus are now scattered all over Aust.


 

The border closures were known throughout the world. There was notice given. If the Government backs down now then how can they expect its citizens to understand any of this. Given they were supposed to be in Northern Waters by now but changed their course south and west they chose a path that was very risky. They should have continued sailing north and away from Australia. I'm pleased that the WA is showing strength. Shame NSW didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon negotiations are still going on as Magnifica is still hanging around the West Australian Coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Still doing circles outside of Perth. Vasco De Gama, Silver Whisper, and Seabourn encore have been doing the same dance.

 

Seabourn Encore drawing patterns while she's circling:

 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/207038656311984139/692642861170163732/Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How and why cruises are still operating when over a quarter of the worlds population (billions of people) are in some form of enforced quarantine is mental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WH_Cruise said:

How and why cruises are still operating when over a quarter of the worlds population (billions of people) are in some form of enforced quarantine is mental.

These were cruises that departed before lockdowns were going into place.  And as places started locking down, ports were closed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aprilF said:

These were cruises that departed before lockdowns were going into place.  And as places started locking down, ports were closed.

 

But they should have stopped earlier and everyone knows it.  Ships already out there should have made for port, not waited and tried to complete doomed itineraries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2020 at 12:29 AM, NSWP said:

I reckon negotiations are still going on as Magnifica is still hanging around the West Australian Coast.

 

Still there, just off Garden Island with Seabourne Encore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you want to discuss other cruise ships still at sea please do so respectfully on this thread only.

 

thank you.

Edited by Host Carolyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 9:38 AM, samiam1 said:

 

But they should have stopped earlier and everyone knows it.  Ships already out there should have made for port, not waited and tried to complete doomed itineraries.

I think most (all?) have been trying to find a port that will accept them and is a port most of the passengers can fly home from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is very surprising considering Sri Lanka stated they had closed their ports and denied docking to us on Splendida on March 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe restocking and fuel as they are allowed ships to call for supplies and then maybe either Dubai if flights restarted or through suez to Italy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magnifica is headed back to the Med, first stop as BB says is Columbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read on another source the Australian and NZ passengers disembarked in Sydney and Melbourne, the European passengers are returning to the Med. After a technical stop in Colombo. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading for the Suez canal enroute to an unspecified Mediterranean port according to a report that I saw yesterday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Heading for the Suez canal enroute to an unspecified Mediterranean port according to a report that I saw yesterday. 

Heard from someone onboard expected to dock Marseille next monday 20th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little surprised France is taking them...or are they citizens of France?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marseille allowed Splendida special permission to dock and disembark people last month. 

 

Someone else onboard posted confirmation they were heading there, that was their scheduled disembarking port, but now it was 22/23 April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...