Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Congrats on the new job to Mr HH, hopefully Lanky lad will have good news soon as well. So sorry to hear you missed out on the valet stand.

Kynance, I had planted some new lettuce (we ate the first lot) under netting. Something has managed to collapse the netting down and removed/eaten half of the new seedlings. Bizarre! I need to plant some more now. My strawberries are coming along. Looking like a small jug of Pimms might be possible eventually!

My best news - I have a hair appointment in two weeks 😃😃😃. Can't wait! 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, DaddyWarbucks said:

Ruth and I are holed up in steamy Sarasota Florida.  We are crossers more than cruisers.  We both wonder what the new normal will be on Cunard when the ships are free to sail again.  I can live without a self service buffet, but will we have to wear face masks everywhere?   We know that ships carry easily transmittable  viral diseases, will Cunard's new restrictions, whatever they will be, diminish the pleasure to the point of it not being worth the effort?

Warbucks

The Cunard cough is a regular on most of the cruises that we’ve been on, especially the World Cruise. By the end of the 100 days, generally everyone has had it at least once. However, maybe in the future, it will not be as easily tolerated. No one ever complained when someone started to cough in the theater in the past. Going forward, that person may be asked to leave the theater and not spread it to others in such close quarters.

Not a bad idea.

I might have suggested that it would be nice if he finished the bathroom he started working on 3 years ago but I wouldn't call it a list !

We've had confirmation that we can travel more than 5 miles from home from Monday & that pubs and restaurants can open outside areas from July 13th. Pubs in England can open from 6am tomorrow morning 😱

The weather is wet & cool here so I might get chance to do something with my cruise videos this weekend.

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I might have suggested that it would be nice if he finished the bathroom he started working on 3 years ago ...

3 years? That’s nothing.

I keep getting ‘reminded’ that the kitchen I started in 1990 isn’t finished.

• Haha 1

@Camgirl - my strawberries keep rotting before the properly ripen - very frustrating! 

On the other hand, my agapanthus plants seem to be doing very well this year and I have one with variegated leaves which is going to flower for the first time in a few years, which I am particularly pleased about. 

I had 2 lovely new bookcases delivered on Tuesday so with a dull day forecast for tomorrow, I might start to fill them from the over flowing shelves elsewhere. I have a weakness for buying hardbacks - one of the reasons I like round trip cruises from Southampton because chucking a couple into a suitcase is not a problem! 

If I am not mistaken, I ve been posting in this thread or in merged thread everyweek about the situation in Caldwell NJ. Its quite, safe and no police around. People are staying at home and rarely go anywhere. We have a very nice delivery system established here so we dont even have to bother going anywhere by ourselves 

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

3 years? That’s nothing.

I keep getting ‘reminded’ that the kitchen I started in 1990 isn’t finished.

😝 wow Mrs Colin Cameron must be a very patient woman ! I'm getting the blame for the delay now, I'm working from home too much !

It's the evening of July 3rd. here in Texas. It feels a lot like a Saturday since there was no mail delivery today, and the stock market is closed. Some years ago our system of holidays was changed where most holidays are celebrated on a Monday. For actual date holidays like our Independence Day,  the Fourth of July, if the holiday falls on a weekend Saturday the day off is the Friday, if on a Sunday the day off is Monday. Yesterday, for the first time since the Pandemic, the traffic, even here in the provinces, was a mess, and the grocer crowded. 

Where I am in Texas, individuals are allowed to explode fireworks on the fourth of July and New Years eve. The stands selling them open one week to the day before the holiday and the noise becomes noticeable in increasing volume through out the week. This week one fire cracker is all I have heard. I guess it speaks to the impact the virus has had.  I am interested in how tomorrow night will turn out. 

Normally, I would be getting ready for my crossing which was planned for 22 July from Hamburg. Organizing, and folding shirts in anticipation of sending the formal wear ahead to the ship. I would have my hotel reservations for London, and Hamburg made months ago, as well as flight plans to London, Hamburg and back to Houston at the end of the voyage.  I have done none of those and I do miss the excitement they bring. 

So instead, I am gardening, mostly weeding as we grow a bumper crop of weeds in hot humid south east Texas. For our international friends, I live in a forest, part of the original hardwood forest that stretched from the east coast of America. The plains and deserts are a few hundred miles west. The local squirrels harvest acorns from my oaks, plant them in the flower gardens and in a year or so, I have a lot of oak and pine saplings. I transplant them to pots to grow for a couple years, then into the ground on the edges of the front and rear gardens and many are given to friends for their gardens as well. It's part of my anti-global warming effort. CO2 in O out. 

I guess we are making the best of a tough situation, Would I rather be planning to board QM2 in Hamburg in a little less that four weeks? You bet. Fellow Americans, enjoy your Fourth, All others enjoy the Summer or Winter as the hemisphere directs. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

It's July 3rd. The traffic, even here in the provinces, was a mess, and the grocer crowded. 

This week one fire cracker is all I have heard. I guess it speaks to the impact the virus has had.  I am interested in how tomorrow night will turn out. 

So instead, I am gardening

I guess we are making the best of a tough situation, Would I rather be planning to board QM2. Fellow Americans, enjoy your Fourth, All others enjoy the Summer or Winter as the hemisphere directs. 

Hi Bigmike911,

Yes the July 3rd here in NYC is also like Texas preparing for the 4th. Even though we are suppose to scale back and still watch and not disturb our record here.

If you want to hear Fireworks in the local neighborhoods come to NYC. We must be the Big Apple of Fireworks. They will start around 2PM on the 4th and go till around 2AM on the 5th. They come in thru our China Towns and also Pennasylvania.

We too are gardening. If we were on the the 4th cruise on the QM2 we always fear no rain can disturb our crop before we come home.

We agree it's a tough situation but are bearing it and hoping to board next year at this time. To you all, Have A Happy 4th of July from the Big Apple to the Lone Star State!

• Like 1

The pubs have opened in England along with some tourist attractions, hotels and camp sites.  It's also raining windy and not very warm.   At least it should put a few people off going to the coast. 

Happy 4th July to those who celebrate. I hope you can do so safely. 

It's very wet here, I dodged the showers to go to a supermarket for the first time in 4 months, I'd be quite happy to leave it another 4 before I bother again !

It wasn't very busy but people seemed to have difficulty with the floor markings and keeping their distance.

My video editing plans aren't going well, our PC is running at a snail's pace.

• Thanks 1

From Philadelphia, where the Declaration of Independence was both written and ratified, to my fellow Americans: happy Fourth of July. And to everyone else: happy July 4th (wink).

Today is Cunard's 180th. And, relevent to today, Cunard was almost a Philadelphian. His parents lived in Philadelphia. But, being loyalists, emigrated to Canada during the revolution.  

My video editing plans aren't going well, our PC is running at a snail's pace.

Video editing is about the most processor-intensive activity you can do on a computer! It can stress even the most current, high-end machine.

Here in the much dryer east of England we have not had any rain yet today. 

We went out for a walk around a different part of the city today. Mostly quiet residential streets. However, we did go down one main road with shops and pubs on. None of the pubs had opened, they seem to be waiting for Monday, those that are going to open. That seems a very sensible decision to me.

On the other hand, we passed one barber that had a queue of over twenty people outside, and more waiting on chairs inside! And that was at 8 in the morning! My husband has decided he will trust me with the clippers again rather than rush down to have his hair cut. 

Enjoy your celebrations in the States. Keep safe.

59 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

To say nothing of the user!

Very very true! Maybe it's because I don't do it often, but I find it very frustratng and stressful.

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi Bigmike911,

Yes the July 3rd here in NYC is also like Texas preparing for the 4th. Even though we are suppose to scale back and still watch and not disturb our record here.

If you want to hear Fireworks in the local neighborhoods come to NYC. We must be the Big Apple of Fireworks. They will start around 2PM on the 4th and go till around 2AM on the 5th. They come in thru our China Towns and also Pennasylvania.

We too are gardening. If we were on the the 4th cruise on the QM2 we always fear no rain can disturb our crop before we come home.

We agree it's a tough situation but are bearing it and hoping to board next year at this time. To you all, Have A Happy 4th of July from the Big Apple to the Lone Star State!

We used to live in NYC before retiring to Florida. I remember the fantastic fireworks display on the East River at 34th St. on July 4th. This year, we are staying at home and grilling hot dogs on the BBQ, just the two of us. We miss getting together with friends and family. 
I am beginning to look at cruises again, for 2022 and possibly late 2021. We have been landlocked for over 5 months now, we are chomping at the bit. The QV has a World Cruise scheduled for Jan. 2022. The ports are the same as always, but we really enjoy the ship, the ports are incidental to us.

Have a wonderful 4th of July to our American friends and a wonderful weekend to everyone else.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

*We used to live in NYC before retiring to Florida. I remember the fantastic fireworks display on the East River at 34th St. on July 4th. This year, we are staying at home and grilling hot dogs on the BBQ, just the two of us. We miss getting together with friends and family. 
*I am beginning to look at cruises again, for 2022 and possibly late 2021. We have been landlocked for over 5 months now, we are chomping at the bit.

*Have a wonderful 4th of July to our American friends and a wonderful weekend to everyone else.

Hi LewiLewi,

Happy 4th to you too.

Yes NYC will liven up later in the afternoon. Suppose to have Fireworks on the top of the Empire State Building beside the individual communities. 

In 15 minute will be the famous Nathan's Frankfurter Contest in Coney Island without the crowds this year. Yes we too will have our Hot Dogs around 1-2 PM and Burgers in the Evening.

Do look in 2021 for a sailing. We too have been beached this year and miss even seeing the ships sailing the Hudson.