Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

4 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Congrats NBT, sounds like you are on the way to being fully vaccinated. I am still hopeful for next week here, but no guarantee.

4 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

Congrats NBT, sounds like you are on the way to being fully vaccinated. I am still hopeful for next week here, but no guarantee.

I feel fortunate that CT seems to have a well-thought process in place - I just hope the pipeline is open to permit ongoing distribution of vaccine for all at the manufacturers’ recommended intervals — it is really depressing to see these reports of people lining up for hours — in some sort of poorly planned free for alls - in states which do not seem to have given much thought to the process.    I still feel somewhat guilty (but still fortunate) that my being past 70 gives me precedence over those whose necessary jobs put them in the front line, while I can easily isolate as necessary and avoid most unnecessary interactions.

Things are moving in the right direction here, cases down, vaccinations up. Neither as fast as we'd like but Spring will soon be here.

It's cold and sunny here this morning so I'm enjoying the sun in the conservatory and glad I don't have to scrape the ice off my car to go anywhere.

Have a good weekend everyone

Cold and a bit dull here today. Just waiting to go out on our daily walk.we try to go out fairly early to avoid others. Today we will go into the centre of Cambridge. I have only just got to appreciate how beautiful it is during the pandemic, as we would never go in to the centre before due to the crowds of tourists everywhere. It makes me wonder if others feel like that when cruise ships arrive and unload their passengers to visit other beautiful places. If / when we get back to cruising, I think it will make me far more aware of the effect we have on the local population.

How I wish we could pause in our walk, occasionally, to sit in a cafe and have a hot drink and a piece of cake! Still, numbers are slowly beginning to go in the right direction here, and we must all be patient and hope it continues. Can't wait to get the vaccine and start to feel a little safer, but I come a fair way down the list, so it will be some time yet. One day, hopefully not too far away, we will be back in cafes, and eventually, back on a beautiful Cunard ship.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

Dense fog in Southeast Texas this morning, but mild about 65 f. Almost sticky feeling. I cannot tell if we are having misty showers, or if it is just fog.  So far in January we have had nine inches of rain, with another week to go. 

Working in the garden, I noticed buds on the Sweet Gum trees, so I have to finish my pruning this week. I suspect we are going to have another early spring this year as we did last year. My gardener comes tomorrow, so we will try to get all the heavy pruning done. 

I also have trees to plant this week, I have grown from voluntary saplings in my Oak "Nursery" and it is time for them to go into the ground. There is also a long needle Southern Pine to be transplanted as well. 

Every day spent in the garden gives me a sense of accomplishing something in this strange year.  I hope all have a good week.

• Like 2

We had some snow this morning which settled for a few hours before thawing. We did manage to get out for a walk before it all disappeared though and found this charming miniature snowman on one of the lock gates along the canal. Although the winter wonderland was brief, it was just lovely to have an old-fashioned winter’s day to enjoy for a little bit during this drab & dis-spiriting January. 

1BD8D42D-BC15-4981-8673-C46BE122D72A.jpeg

• Like 3

Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

By John Masefield.

I know the feeling.
Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Like 5

Just back from my 2021 cruise. It was meant to be QM2 from Fremantle to Sydney, but instead a two hour Australia Day cruise on the Lady Cutler (ex Sydney Ferry, now a Melbourne party boat) from Melbourne Docklands down river to the bay and back. 

LadyCutler.jpg

Edited by MelbTone
picture added

9 hours ago, MelbTone said:

Just back from my 2021 cruise. It was meant to be QM2 from Fremantle to Sydney, but instead a two hour Australia Day cruise on the Lady Cutler (ex Sydney Ferry, now a Melbourne party boat) from Melbourne Docklands down river to the bay and back. 

LadyCutler.jpg

Looks good to me.

COVID cases in Pennsylvania are down almost 40% in the past two weeks. I hope the trend continues. In the meantime I'm hanging out mostly with a friend in Maryland where cases are considerably below where I live. PA requires (without a real means of enforcement) a test before returning to the state in lieu of a 2-week quarantine after 24 hours out of state ; I got my test yesterday which just came back negative so I can head back home tomorrow and take care of business there for the next week or so.

I got my first COVID vaccination (Pfizer) last week. Each state runs their own program with their own means of allocating the supply which naturally leads to frustration. I managed to make an appointment just as word was getting out the Pennsylvania had changed their prioritization plan. My hospital system signed up 39,000 people in 36 hours before suspending new appointments (the system spans an area containing perhaps 600,000 residents, but it's not the only hospital system in that area).

Here in fabulous Oklahoma we a state representative who has authored House Bill 1648 for consideration.  This Bill would provide draft rules, annual dates, licenses and fees that would define a hunting season for the Big Foot, also known as Sasquatch.     If approved, the season would start on November 1st, this year.  (I'm not kidding, this really happened).  ☺️

It's not been a good day here today.  The UK has topped 100,000 deaths from Covid.

On a more personal note, it's rained all day so I have not been out of the house and my internet was down until 3pm due to fault with my ISP. 

The forecast is ok for Wednesday so I will have a nice long walk.

4 minutes ago, DWhit said:

Here in fabulous Oklahoma we a state representative who has authored House Bill 1648 for consideration.  This Bill would provide draft rules, annual dates, licenses and fees that would define a hunting season for the Big Foot, also known as Sasquatch.     If approved, the season would start on November 1st, this year.  (I'm not kidding, this really happened).  ☺️

Assuming they exist (which I doubt) I really don't think hunting should be allowed. It does make you wounder how many people would pay for a hunting license.

7 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Assuming they exist (which I doubt) I really don't think hunting should be allowed. It does make you wounder how many people would pay for a hunting license.

I agree totally.  I presume the idea of the hunt is to kill one, which seems totally disgusting. If such an animal existed, why kill it?  Here in Oklahoma, it’s the coyotes who kill the cats and small dogs, not Bigfoot! 

16 hours ago, MelbTone said:

Good to see one of the "Lady" class ferries has a continued life.  I used to get one of those on the Cremorne/Mosman route in Sydney every once in a while, a long time ago.

Quite a step down from QM2, but I suppose any floating adventure is better than none.

5 hours ago, DWhit said:

I agree totally.  I presume the idea of the hunt is to kill one, which seems totally disgusting. If such an animal existed, why kill it?  Here in Oklahoma, it’s the coyotes who kill the cats and small dogs, not Bigfoot! 

Perhaps it was an attempt at humor, as I am not aware that Bigfoot (s) or is it Bigfeet were native to Oklahoma. 

50 minutes ago, Bigmike911 said:

Perhaps it was an attempt at humor, as I am not aware that Bigfoot (s) or is it Bigfeet were native to Oklahoma. 

It could well be Covid Boredom induced humor, but was not reported that way on the evening news.  They seemed quite serious about it, with a fine graphic including an artist's rendering of the Big Footed fellow.  But the reporting did provide me with a very big laugh  😉

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Good to see one of the "Lady" class ferries has a continued life.  I used to get one of those on the Cremorne/Mosman route in Sydney every once in a while, a long time ago.

Quite a step down from QM2, but I suppose any floating adventure is better than none.

We've got two of them here in Docklands. The other, originally Lady McKell, has been renamed Victoria Star with one of the wheelhouses removed to make a sun deck https://www.victoriastar.com.au/history

Edited by MelbTone

On 1/25/2021 at 6:01 PM, Lanky Lad said:
Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

By John Masefield.

I know the feeling.

Beautiful. Thank you.

My father, mother, aunt, and 98 year old grandfather have already received their first shot of vaccine... we are now waiting to hear about my husband’s grandfather- he is scheduled for his first this afternoon.

As the pandemic continues we hear of more people we know, not only contracting the virus... but unfortunately we now know more who are or have loved ones affected quite negatively... Not surprising... for it is the science of it all... but even though we can understand the science, it is very sad.

We are personally continuing to be healthy. Life is nowhere near normal for us of for any of our fellow members of the arts community... but we all hope for the future... even though some days, as all of this drags on, normalcy seems far away.

Continuing to do our part by being mindful, safe, and compassionate for those who are struggling.

Best to you all.

A bit less cold here today and I had a nice long walk to a local nature reserve.  Lots of birdsong, so the birds must think spring is on it's way.  More rain forecast for tomorrow so it might be another day to stay in.

We have been told the lockdown in England will not change until 8 March at the soonest.  That is 21 days after all over 70's should have had at least one shot of vaccine.  In theory that will mean less people will get seriously ill and need hospital treatment. 

The trouble is that if people stop dying, then there will be calls to open everything up way too soon.  The numbers who die might be a low percentage of those infected, but as we are talking in millions of people, even a low percentage is a big number. 

The numbers locally have come down at lot recently, but is that a true reflection of the fact, hopefully it is.

I am glad I am not in a position where I have to make the choices of what to do and when. 

In the meantime, I will keep following the rules. After avoiding it for so longer, I don't want to catch it now.

• Like 1

Just had second Pfizer shot. My hubby gets his second shot next week. We are not about to make any real changes in our lives. We will continue mask wearing, social distancing, etc. till everyone has had their second shots. We will just be able to breathe a little easier and start thinking about what cruising we would like to do in the future. I hope that we will be able to go back to cruising the way it was pre pandemic. I know it is a very important and enjoyable part of our lives.

I hope that all of you will be able to get vaccinated in the very near future.

• Like 2

Good news that two more vaccines seem to be effective including the one shot version.

It's a week since my mother got her first shot of the AZ vaccine and I am happy to say there have been not issues.  My friend should get his in February, but even if things go as planned I will have to wait until March.

The arguments have already started in the UK about who should get the vaccine after those over 50.

Edited by Lanky Lad