Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

47 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

At the ocean terminal now. Took about 10 minutes longer than needed as we had not printed our covid vaccine certificate off. Will know better next time. Just under 2 hours.  Now waiting for results. 

Just out of interest what time did your e-ticket state as time to arrive and at what time did you actually arrive to join the queue and how long did it take to get to Ocean Terminal overall from when you first arrived at Mayflower.

Hope Britannia managed to avoid the overnight storm @Lanky Lad, we were on the edge of it and my drive to work wasn't very pleasant.

It was Mr HH's birthday on Wednesday so we took the day off and went out for a nice lunch.

It's a busy time at work so I have meetings tomorrow morning and afternoon, fortunately via Teams from home.

How exciting to have something booked @naturelovergirl !

• Like 1

I am back home. The drive North was hard work due to very heavy traffic.

The check in time was 1.45, this is the time we had to be at the covid testing site. We arrived almost exactly on time. It took a couple of hours in total to get to the front of the queue. The test is just in your nose not throat so that was a relief.

You get a wristband when you get tested with a bar code that links you to the test. It also proves you have been tested.

After taking the test, you drive to the terminal. As I had booked parking I had to wait for my car to be checked in. Then drop off my luggage. After entering the terminal building we had to speak to someone and answer health questions.

It was then a matter of waiting for our results to be sent to our mobile phones. As soon as we received a negative result we were allowed to check in and go through security then we were on board.

The whole process from beginning to end lasted about 2 hours 45 minutes. Most of this time was spent waiting for the test.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We used the My Holiday app, which Cunard now have. This allowed us to book meals, shows, and join a queue for meals. Once we got used to it, we got to like it.  It also has a function to allow us to check on board spending.

The storm hit us at about 5.30am according to the Captain the forecast was for 45 mph winds, but they hit 70mph. It was quite bumpy and I loved it.

I will do a full report and add a link. Although I enjoyed it, I have not been converted from Cunard to P&O.

Edited by Lanky Lad
  • Like 4

Trying to predict the future. GF is 95% agreed to accompany me on my Christmas QM2 cruise (the delta fare is pretty small), no additional deposit will be taken, and final payment's not until way out in November. But COVID is resurging in the US so what are the odds that things will go as planned? I guess we'll know by the new final payment date..

• Like 1

Thanks, that seems very fair, not enough to tempt me back to P&O though !

We had a few nice days at the beginning of the week but it feels a bit like Autumn at the moment.

A friend from University rented a house for a family holiday on the Gower so I went over after work on Wednesday to have a barbecue with them. It was a beautiful evening.

Most of our restrictions are being lifted from tomorrow although masks will still be required in shops, healthcare settings and on public transport. It looks as if our local pubs and restaurants will mostly be staying with table service for the moment.

Have a good weekend everyone

• Like 3

@Lanky Lad - thank you for posting your Britannia review. I enjoyed reading it.  Will be interesting to see how people find the QE sailcation trips when they finally get going shortly. 

We have similar weather to Hattie’s - in fact we decided not to use the tickets I’d booked for an open air performance of Macbeth tonight as it’s just too cool, cloudy & windy, though I think we might have avoided the rain had we been going. It’s a shame but I just don’t think we’d have enjoyed ourselves. Instead I’ll curl up on the sofa with the BBC’s Olympics highlights programme, so while I’m on the subject - congratulations to all Team GB medal winners, indeed to everyone who has competed and represented our country so well.  You’ve all been brilliant and have done us proud! 👏🥇🥈🥉 🇬🇧 

• Like 2

Given the gloomy weather outside, I thought I’d post a cheerful photo of some of my agapanthus which have been really successful this summer - well I think so, anyway! I’ve managed to get most of those that didn’t flower last year to produce some blooms, so I am pretty pleased with my horticultural endeavours this summer. 😊

91BAD036-05F9-4662-91D7-A0350F9AFA2F.jpeg

• Like 3

On 8/6/2021 at 6:03 PM, Lanky Lad said:

My report is here https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=681745

To sum it up, I enjoyed it and would go again, but I prefer Cunard.

Thank you for your report; it must have been lovely to be back on the ocean again and with a storm for good measure.

I have only tried P&O once, the Azura, and vowed never again with this line. You are braver than I am, to even contemplate going on a further voyage!

Just waiting in anticipation of our 7 nights on QE next month.😊

• Like 1

Hope everyone is OK, it's lovely to see a Cunard ship sailing again.

I'm in the Cotswolds for the weekend with a group of friends. We originally booked 2 years ago and we've changed names a few times since we had to move the stay from last August !

• Like 1

I met up with work friends last night - we haven’t seen each other since March last year, so it was lovely to catch up in person. 

Had some good news on Tuesday - my best friend’s daughter achieved the A level results she needed to study for a physics degree in September. It has been a really challenging time over the past 17 months - she had to self-isolate 3 times in the autumn term so even when the schools were open she spent a lot of time having to study remotely. However, all her hard work has paid off and I am so pleased for her. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone!

Things here are fine, except for too many mosquitoes.  Oh, and the delta variant is flourishing in Maine.  But it's outside weather, and not difficult to maintain distance from other people, so it's not as bad as the mosquitoes.  ( hope I don't end up regretting that bit of flippancy.)

I saw the following in a collection of good sentences from recent newspapers - it comes from the Guardian.  It made me laugh out loud, and I thought this group might enjoy it -

“Johnson’s hair, always ridiculous, now seems to have reached animal rescue stage. The PM resembles one of those Old English Sheepdogs that charities put on sad-music fundraising adverts, with a voice saying: ‘When Boris came to us, his coat was so matted he was effectively blind.’”

• Like 5
  • Haha 1