Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
porthole21

Potential much needed good news

Recommended Posts

If it's TRUE then the french finally won a war.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My waistline says they won the potato war a long time ago 🙂

 

image.png.402322ba358e6c43592e9d672e758570.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, porthole21 said:

Thought i would share this....we need some hope and positive energy nowadays. Obviously time will tell but much better than all the doom and gloom out here. Cant wait to sail again with you folks.....

 

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6144015101001/

I have read elsewhere about that combination being effective earlier this week.  I am cautiously optimistic as with many other reports about treatment.

Thanks for the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of concern about this, and Dr. Oz mentioned it...lack of pills and hoarding.  The CDC and FDA have not tasted the actual validity of these medicines, nor the potential problems when used for Covid 19.  Dr. Fauci addressed this directly a few days ago during the daily press briefing.    As hopeful as we all are that this will be the treatment, and we'll get this behind us, the concern is that too many of our resources will be pushed into production of a drug that is not effective at the expense of further research.  Cautious optimism is certainly warranted.  But caution is the key.  

Just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

There is a lot of concern about this, and Dr. Oz mentioned it...lack of pills and hoarding.  The CDC and FDA have not tasted the actual validity of these medicines, nor the potential problems when used for Covid 19.  Dr. Fauci addressed this directly a few days ago during the daily press briefing.    As hopeful as we all are that this will be the treatment, and we'll get this behind us, the concern is that too many of our resources will be pushed into production of a drug that is not effective at the expense of further research.  Cautious optimism is certainly warranted.  But caution is the key.  

Just my opinion. 

Excellent post

 

Another thing to keep in mind, this is still months away from actual realistic use. The FDA has been burned in the past acting too quickly, their whole purpose is to not let something like this thru too quickly with no after the fact information. Studies start in NY on Tuesday, compassionate use approval's will be scattered around elsewhere.

 

So, ideally. NY starts Tuesday, by this coming weekend everyone it is used on is better. FDA will monitor this group for 30 - 60 days, then nation wide approval of use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Oz is a TV "personality", his medical specialty is cardiology, not epidemiology. Take anything he says with a liberal supply of grains of salt.

 

Anecdotal information from a single non-controlled, non-clinical trial is just that Anecdotal. I'll be more hopeful once the data from the live clinical trial that is starting today or tomorrow in NYC with 10,000 doses of this same cocktail are available and analyzed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, porthole21 said:

Thought i would share this....we need some hope and positive energy nowadays. Obviously time will tell but much better than all the doom and gloom out here. Cant wait to sail again with you folks.....

 

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6144015101001/

Fox News, a source of truth and wisdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Dr. Oz is a TV "personality", his medical specialty is cardiology, not epidemiology. Take anything he says with a liberal supply of grains of salt.

 

Anecdotal information from a single non-controlled, non-clinical trial is just that Anecdotal. I'll be more hopeful once the data from the live clinical trial that is starting today or tomorrow in NYC with 10,000 doses of this same cocktail are available and analyzed.

Agree, I have heard some seriously weird, unproven ideas come from Dr. Oz over the years he has been a celebrity.

 

Sherri🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), is an effective drug, for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  Evidence of it being effective for COVID-19 is pure speculation.

 

In the meantime, people are getting so excited about this that supplies of the drug are drying up and those who really need it, being treated for lupus, arthritis and malaria, can't find the drug.

 

Let's stop pushing speculative theories on television talk shows and listen to the real scientists and experts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), is an effective drug, for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  Evidence of it being effective for COVID-19 is pure speculation.
 
In the meantime, people are getting so excited about this that supplies of the drug are drying up and those who really need it, being treated for lupus, arthritis and malaria, can't find the drug.
 
Let's stop pushing speculative theories on television talk shows and listen to the real scientists and experts!


He was quoting scientist - Actually.

People want hope - this brings hope. I am pretty sure if anyone was suffering from this virus they would drink toilet water if a study suggested it. People do crazier stuff for cancer - this is a real study and time will tell if it’s small sample size is indicative of what happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering something. Have been a military spouse. And in The early 80's i recieved malaria inoculation. Will this help against covd19

 

 Second guess the health fields are sorry they went disposables on mask and gowns. Can't rewash and use. Causing shortages. But will uv light kill the virus?? With the past anthrax scares post office uv lighted the mail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

 


He was quoting scientist - Actually.

People want hope - this brings hope. I am pretty sure if anyone was suffering from this virus they would drink toilet water if a study suggested it. People do crazier stuff for cancer - this is a real study and time will tell if it’s small sample size is indicative of what happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

Of course people want hope, I really hope studies prove this does work.  But it is very irresponsible to go on TV and promote this at this stage.

 

Sherri🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, yogimax said:

 

 

Let's stop pushing speculative theories on television talk shows and listen to the real scientists and experts!

Sorry but you are off base....plenty of real scientists and experts have been touting this drug as beneficial and a possible breakthrough.  

https://www.foxnews.com/health/florida-man-with-coronavirus-claims-malaria-drug-saved-life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

 

 


He was quoting scientist - Actually.

People want hope - this brings hope. I am pretty sure if anyone was suffering from this virus they would drink toilet water if a study suggested it. People do crazier stuff for cancer - this is a real study and time will tell if it’s small sample size is indicative of what happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

 

He was quoting a single study, conducted by a single author in a single medical journal in France (the textbook definition of anecdotal data). Any first year science student would know that if they answered "yes" to either of these questions: 1) "Is this a controlled clinical trial", and/or 2) "are these data conclusive and reliable for post clinical trial use", they would fail the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Sorry but you are off base....plenty of real scientists and experts have been touting this drug as beneficial and a possible breakthrough.  

https://www.foxnews.com/health/florida-man-with-coronavirus-claims-malaria-drug-saved-life

The key word is "possible". That's why controlled clinical trials are conducted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Sorry but you are off base....plenty of real scientists and experts have been touting this drug as beneficial and a possible breakthrough.  

https://www.foxnews.com/health/florida-man-with-coronavirus-claims-malaria-drug-saved-life

Sorry, but you are very off base... the anecdotal story of a 52 year old man is hardly "plenty of real scientists or experts."  If you relying on the report from France, it is hardly proof of success.

 

Yes, I love good news and pray that a cure may be found, but to spread false hope simple encourages many people not to take this seriously.

Edited by yogimax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Sorry, but you are very off base... the anecdotal story of a 52 year old man is hardly "plenty of real scientists or experts."  If you relying on the report from France, it is hardly proof of success.

 

Yes, I love good news and pray that a cure may be found, but to spread false hope simple encourages many people not to take this seriously.

 

It is a path in the maze.  May not be "the" path but we don't know what we don't know yet.  Let's let it play out and hope we find the correct path out of this mess.

 

Any good news is good to hear.  I doubt folks are making decisions based on this info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol,didnt take long for the doom and gloomers to post on this. Pessimism and doom and gloom is the mantra here now. Nothing wrong with being positive. Wow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Sorry, but you are very off base... the anecdotal story of a 52 year old man is hardly "plenty of real scientists or experts."  If you relying on the report from France, it is hardly proof of success.

 

Yes, I love good news and pray that a cure may be found, but to spread false hope simple encourages many people not to take this seriously.

I just threw the article in my post to show people the concept has been recently used. I certainly did not have it in my post as a part of the argument. You evidently DO NOT like good news as you seem determined to spread doom over a drug which has been touted by multiple sources including Dr. Fauci. The fact is it is being looked at and in some cases already implemented with success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rolloman said:

 You evidently DO NOT like good news as you seem determined to spread doom over a drug which has been touted by multiple sources including Dr. Fauci.

Really??? 

 

"Fauci clarified some of Trump's comments about the drug on Friday after the president said he had a "good feeling" about it. He said that hydroxychloroquine could not be used to prevent COVID-19."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

I am wondering something. Have been a military spouse. And in The early 80's i recieved malaria inoculation. Will this help against covd19

 

 Second guess the health fields are sorry they went disposables on mask and gowns. Can't rewash and use. Causing shortages. But will uv light kill the virus?? With the past anthrax scares post office uv lighted the mail. 

I have seen reports that some hospitals are using uv light.  I wasn't paying enough attention to hear if they are using it on masks/gowns used for treating patients with corvid-19 or just in general.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...