Potential much needed good news

I saw a segment with a doctor about drugs and they were like hey I heard someone in your facility has invented what's it called a ventilator that can be made for $150.

He was like yea it's really ugly but it works and they showed it. He said they were working to refine it. 

Of course ny needs 30,000, that's a heck of a lot to make fast 

The governor said ny would probably have to do like Italy and split the use of each ventilator between 2 or even 4 people if they dont arrive soon. 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, mugtech said:

Fox News, a source of truth and wisdom.

ah I dunno they also have a bias but true they are better than most media/opinion organizations that guise their self as news.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Big_G said:

I hope you realize that this wasn't the prescription medication they ingested. It was fish tank cleaner of a similar compound.

And this is a tragically predictable outcome when one couples investigational myopia with media-generated hysteria. It changes "ignorance is bliss" to ignorance may be fatal"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, orville99 said:

And this is a tragically predictable outcome when one couples investigational myopia with media-generated hysteria. It changes "ignorance is bliss" to ignorance may be fatal"

So, are you saying that the media shouldn't report any news since there will always be someone stupid enough to take things into their own hands and try something like this.  At some point personal responsibility must come into play.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So, are you saying that the media shouldn't report any news since there will always be someone stupid enough to take things into their own hands and try something like this.  At some point personal responsibility must come into play.

No, what I'm saying is that the media should be clearly articulating the reasons why a particular potential treatment is not being widely distributed before it is properly tested for the specific disease. The CDC and NIH were both very clear in their statements that chloroquine in different doses, consumption regimens, and prescribed for different illnesses had significantly different side effects, and in too high or frequent a dosage for the disease being treated could cause death. Somehow, that little fact never made it into the media narrative.

• Like 1

We all want good news, but perhaps this study doesn't quite qualify. There's no scientific evidence that this drug is effective against covid-19, and a man in Arizona just died after taking the drug (as it was incorrectly identified by President Trump) in the hope that doing so would keep him from catching the virus. 

Right now there is hope but no good news. There is a difference - hope is an exercise in faith, news does include information that quack remedies are being promoted, but it's also hard facts - see Governor Cuomo's press conferences for transparency and truth. 

Rainbows and unicorns aren't my idea of facts. 

And oh boy,, am I sorry I can't take my April cruise.

1 hour ago, GaNavy said:

We all want good news, but perhaps this study doesn't quite qualify. There's no scientific evidence that this drug is effective against covid-19, and a man in Arizona just died after taking the drug (as it was incorrectly identified by President Trump) in the hope that doing so would keep him from catching the virus. 

Right now there is hope but no good news. There is a difference - hope is an exercise in faith, news does include information that quack remedies are being promoted, but it's also hard facts - see Governor Cuomo's press conferences for transparency and truth. 

But he didn't take the drug so the entire premise of your post is false.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

HCQ has limited supply. Manufacture would need to be ramped up. Z Packs are likely to need the same ramp up. 

If we could only go on a cruise to Mexico right now would probably be able to get some. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GaNavy said:

a man in arizona died from taking the drug, hello nah i dont think so but you said it on the internet so it must be true.  Plus it was on tv and in the "news" so it must be true.  Now if a politician either dem or reb said it, then of course it is true a million times over.

45 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

If we could only go on a cruise to Mexico right now would probably be able to get some. 😉

I get that but be cautious that not all drugs bought in Mexico are the same as those in the US. Not sure about Canada. Also, self medicated without Doctors approval is not recommended. Too many Z Paks every time one has a bad cold is not good on ones Immune system. They are made to fight a virus and not a cold. Only way to tell if one has a virus is to be tested. It may be just as harmful to take a Z Pak for a cold as not taking one for the flu. At least not taking with flu allows ones immune system to build up and form its own Antibodies.

In my opinion  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big_G said:

I hope you realize that this wasn't the prescription medication they ingested. It was fish tank cleaner of a similar compound.

Yes, but why did they take it in the first place?  The wife gave the answer...

"The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine."

About time the politicians disappeared from the nightly briefings and the medical professionals and scientists took over!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, yogimax said:

"The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine."

About time the politicians disappeared from the nightly briefings and the medical professionals and scientists took over!

And the political back and forth on this thread needs to disappear as well

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, yogimax said:

She is making excuses.  That couple did doing something profoundly stupid after she found the old koi pond tablets.  Please be smarter than that couple.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I get that but be cautious that not all drugs bought in Mexico are the same as those in the US. Not sure about Canada. Also, self medicated without Doctors approval is not recommended. Too many Z Paks every time one has a bad cold is not good on ones Immune system. They are made to fight a virus and not a cold. Only way to tell if one has a virus is to be tested. It may be just as harmful to take a Z Pak for a cold as not taking one for the flu. At least not taking with flu allows ones immune system to build up and form its own Antibodies.

In my opinion  

The wink and the fact that one can’t cruise to Mexico should have given away the tongue in cheek to my post.

Everything you mentioned is exactly why I think people are crazy to buy them while away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff13 said:

I heard Forsythia is the cure.  I am buying stock in it.

🍿🍿🍿

Best Part is every convenience store carries it, promising results I bought some today just in case, good luck

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, yogimax said:

Yes, Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), is an effective drug, for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  Evidence of it being effective for COVID-19 is pure speculation.

In the meantime, people are getting so excited about this that supplies of the drug are drying up and those who really need it, being treated for lupus, arthritis and malaria, can't find the drug.

Let's stop pushing speculative theories on television talk shows and listen to the real scientists and experts!

I take plaquenil 2 x’s a day for my scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis.  It is by prescription only.  If people start hoarding it or buying it on the black market what would others like me do if we can’t get it.  I always thought very little of Oz.

Edited by maria1122
  • Thanks 1