NO BAILOUT FOR CRUISE LINES!

I love cruising as much as anyone and plan on doing more once this crisis has passed and I feel the ships are safe, but in the meantime not one penny of American taxpayer money should go to bail out the cruise lines! Celebrity, Carnival, Disney etc, all sail under foreign "flags of convenience" in order to evade U.S. taxes, labor laws and environmental regulations. That's the bargain Disney made when it registered in the Bahamas, Celebrity in Malta and Carnival in Panama. Let the cruise lines go to those countries for money. American taxpayers are not obliged to keep them afloat (pun intended).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, koolZip said:

I love cruising as much as anyone and plan on doing more once this crisis has passed and I feel the ships are safe, but in the meantime not one penny of American taxpayer money should go to bail out the cruise lines! Celebrity, Carnival, Disney etc, all sail under foreign "flags of convenience" in order to evade U.S. taxes, labor laws and environmental regulations. That's the bargain Disney made when it registered in the Bahamas, Celebrity in Malta and Carnival in Panama. Let the cruise lines go to those countries for money. American taxpayers are not obliged to keep them afloat (pun intended).

What about the hundreds of thousands of Americans (and others) they employ? Do we punish them?

• Like 5

None of the monies being discussed are "bailouts".  Businesses are being directed to close or prevented from doing business by the government.  Any monies provided by the government would be inconsideration of damages caused by the government directive.  People need to drop the term "bailout" in this instance.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

What about the hundreds of thousands of Americans (and others) they employ? Do we punish them?

Like anyone else that is laid off from their job no matter the reason or who they work for, they go and find another job!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CI66774 said:

As I'm sure you know, the ships are largely foreign staffed. I want an American economic recovery package to benefit tax-paying Americans which would include shore-based businesses affected by the loss of revenue. But no, nothing to cruise line corporate.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, koolZip said:

As I'm sure you know, the ships are largely foreign staffed. I want an American economic recovery package to benefit tax-paying Americans which would include shore-based businesses affected by the loss of revenue. But no, nothing to cruise line corporate.

Borrowed this information from another thread but it applies here 

In 2018, cruise lines, their passengers and crew spent a record $23.96 billion in the United States—a 33 percent increase since 2010. Additionally, 2018 saw a new peak in the cruise industry’s U.S. expenditures, generating 421,711 jobs across the United States and contributing more than $23.15 billion in wages and salaries, a nearly 13 percent increase since 2016.

If these numbers don’t show the cruise industry as an “American friendly” institution then I don’t know what does. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, koolZip said:

How cool... I saw that picture going around the Internet too. It’s even nearly word for word!

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Like anyone else that is laid off from their job no matter the reason or who they work for, they go and find another job!

That would be me who filled for unemployment today for the first time ever in my 59 years of life.  My company is done. It's not easy finding a job when the world is on lockdown.

• Like 3

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

That would be me who filled for unemployment today for the first time ever in my 59 years of life.  My company is done. It's not easy finding a job when the world is on lockdown.

Bummer and no doubt. Hopefully it's short term and you and others effected are back to work when this mess is over. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sadly there's going to be a lot of competition finding those jobs for what could be a long time.  Good luck in your search!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Sadly there's going to be a lot of competition finding those jobs for what could be a long time.  Good luck in your search!

Thank you. I had a phone interview today and they emailed me the evaluation survey to fill out. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, koolZip said:

Its far deeper then your shallow interpreted view. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, adonisr said:

None of the monies being discussed are "bailouts".  Businesses are being directed to close or prevented from doing business by the government.  Any monies provided by the government would be inconsideration of damages caused by the government directive.  People need to drop the term "bailout" in this instance.

Well said. Most don't realize that a "bailout" is NOT a handout, but a low interest loan. So, a couple of points... A)The US government shut down the cruise lines. Wasn't a situation where it was a case of bad management or poor controls of Operational Expenditures took place. And B) Though the vast majority of shipboard employees are non-Americans, the cruise lines do help the US economy in many ways. Shore side personnel, port agents, luggage porters, security and port maintenance are a small sampling of US workers aligned with the cruise industry. Add in all the wholesalers of the materials that the cruise ships use on a weekly basis (meats, produce, alcohol, fuel, etc.) it adds tens of billions of dollars to the US economy. Bottom line is that cruise lines deserve low cost government loans to keep the economy "floating".

• Like 5

I am British and run a business in Britain, and do not have any American employees

I spend a lot of money on cruise ships and in the United States, but I don't pay any taxes in the US

Can the American government give me a bail out please?

OF COURSE CRUISE-LINES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO GO BUST THEY HAVE SPENT YEARS AVOIDING US TAXES

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, compman9 said:

OF COURSE CRUISE-LINES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO GO BUST THEY HAVE SPENT YEARS AVOIDING US TAXES

I know a lot of people think tax avoidance is a good thing, but for me it is one of my big annoyances, especially with some of the big tech companies. I have to pay my full tax bill on my salary and feel companies should pay fair taxes too on their profits 

34 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I know a lot of people think tax avoidance is a good thing, but for me it is one of my big annoyances, especially with some of the big tech companies. I have to pay my full tax bill on my salary and feel companies should pay fair taxes too on their profits 

Don't forget capital gains tax rates which allow the richest among us to pay at rates lower than the average worker.

5 hours ago, compman9 said:

I am British and run a business in Britain, and do not have any American employees

I spend a lot of money on cruise ships and in the United States, but I don't pay any taxes in the US

Can the American government give me a bail out please?

Every company in existence spend time avoiding US taxes.

Why are you posting on a cruise line bailout?  The American House and Senate even in this time of crisis cannot overcome their political squandering to even pass an economic stimulus package that would help the average American.  It would be better to pressure your representatives in Congress about getting this done for all of us instead of worrying about cruise line bailouts.

• Like 1

Go ask the state of Florida for example how important cruising is. Beyond all of the expert opinions of foreign labor and taxes, it is a huge economy for them. Cruises stimulate business towards flights, hotels, taxi/rideshare, restaurants, shopping, etc. It creates many additional jobs in many indirect areas plus direct ones like port employees. Do you think all of these US ports have cruise ships there for no reason or benefit to them? Really think about that.

• Like 3

I read a good article yesterday on the health of the cruise lines and it sounded like most, maybe not NCL, can weather this in the short term with their cash on hand and reduced expenses.  And it stated that the ship creditors would most likely work with the cruise lines on the financing of the ships because they dont want that many ships back if they have to repo which also makes sense because what are they going to do with them. 

The wild card was how quickly people get back to cruising.  6 months, probably ok, 1+ years, might be an issue.  I know most people on this board will be back on pretty quickly, but i think we make up a pretty small percentage of the cruising population.  Keeping my fingers crossed people get back on board.

Edited by 20165

14 hours ago, CI66774 said:

We should have also subsidized the horse and buggy industry, thousands were laid off when automobiles were invented.  In all seriousness if cruise lines are feasible in the future private enterprise/funds will invest after the BK.  People the demand from the general public for cruising aint gonna be there for a long time.  Most cruisers are not part of cruise critic (cheerleaders/fanatic cruisers).  

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1