Norwegian Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

2 hours ago, Raykrause said:

This is a heads up for all NCL booked guests that have a canceled cruise. DO NOT TAKE the future cruise credit. Ask for a cash refund! I have now learned my lesson. I booked a cruise for April 2020 that was canceled. I rebooked a cruise for October 2020 that has now been canceled. They told me that I am not eligible for a refund in cash. And the only future cruise credit is a dollar for dollar amount where others are getting 125% future credit. I paid in good faith and now they are acting poorly when they need to do all that they can to retain a customer base. Poor decision NCL! After I use my non refundable credit I will never again cruise with you again. Bad bad bad for a cruise line that I had been loyal too. Never will I cruise with them again.

Am I understanding that you are thinking you should get 125% of the FCC that is 125% of what you paid?  Of course they won't - otherwise everyone would be gambling that cruises will be cancelled and parlay their initial investment by booking future cruises with a high probability of cancellation.  What a great deal - I pay $2000 for a cruise, get $2500 credit.  Use that to book again, get $3125 in credit to book another cruise, using credits nearly double my initial investment.

Greetings from Florida! We’re experiencing challenging times here for sure, in addition to preparing for a hurricane! Fortunately, Central FL is a little higher and dryer than the coastline!

Several members in our community have began a share cooperative. If you need something and can’t find it, a neighbor can offer and drop it off at your door-no contact. The only expectation is to pay it forward when you can and help the next one down the line.

My husband and I are avid cruisers across multiple cruise lines (40+ for him 20+ for me), and we are missing NCL SO much! Our trip has been delayed twice and while we know that’s nobody’s fault, we look forward to eventually going again! In the downtime, I decided to create a travel blog and talk about these wonderful trips and experiences. You can find me at, seasidetraveler.com enjoy!

Edited by Yogibearadventure
  • Like 2

Things are looking better and better here. The last update say that we have 40 people in intensive care because of Covid-19 in Sweden. Yesterday one new death was reported in Sweden.

Still no signs of increased maskwearing in Sweden so it looks like our social distancing is enough. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Things are looking better and better here. The last update say that we have 40 people in intensive care because of Covid-19 in Sweden. Yesterday one new death was reported in Sweden.

Still no signs of increased maskwearing in Sweden so it looks like our social distancing is enough. 

Thank you! I am so glad to read this. I have a good friend who lives in Stockholm with his wife and daughter, so the situation in Sweden is on my mind a lot. Let's hope the worst is behind us.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you! I am so glad to read this. I have a good friend who lives in Stockholm with his wife and daughter, so the situation in Sweden is on my mind a lot. Let's hope the worst is behind us.

I have a brother who lives in the US (Plattsburgh, NY) so I have some extra interest in what happens there.

I hope to see some good news from the US soon!

I'm in Texas. Our cases surged after the governor largely dismissed it and tried to reopen early, so...yeah. The numbers have dipped a little over the last week, but it's not enough to really matter yet. We're under a mask order (warning, followed by a $250 fine). Of course, my perspective is from the city, not from the state. I know a lot of the border areas have been slammed badly. There was a back-to-school event today in the city, and I know most/all districts are opening online initially, under the circumstances.

Edited by squick64

Hawaii recently gone from little problem to worst rate of spread in the country (1.36 reinfection multiplier). Not overall population, but within narrow clusters. Resident micronesians reported as 40% of new cases and very low compliance with lockdown. Prisons just exploded from no cases to over a hundred due to intentional spread by inmates for get out of jail card. Re-arrest rate for released is 40%, and the news is full of shootings, etc. College students (enrolled elsewhere in world) flocking in to do their remote classes in hedonistic surroundings, with the quarantine  enforcement famously feeble by our bureaucracy. Tighter lockdown rules expected soon.

23 hours ago, dumbth said:

Prisons just exploded from no cases to over a hundred due to intentional spread by inmates for get out of jail card. Re-arrest rate for released is 40%, and the news is full of shootings, etc. College students (enrolled elsewhere in world) flocking in to do their remote classes in hedonistic surroundings, with the quarantine  enforcement famously feeble by our bureaucracy. Tighter lockdown rules expected soon.

Are you referring to Oahu or the neighbor islands?

There’s been a resurgence of covid cases here in Ireland over the past few weeks, mostly linked to food prices workplaces. There’s been 1 case in a prison as of yesterday.

During May we dropped below 50 cases a day and in June got down to single digits. My home county had no new cases at all for 3 weeks. But at the end of June travel restrictions within Ireland were lifted, daily case numbers went back to double digits but not too badly through July. By august everyone was thinking we’re okay but then new clusters developed in 3 counties and all of a sudden we’re back to over a hundred cases. 

The 2 social restrictions causing most angst here are no spectators at sports and “wet” bars still haven’t been allowed to reopen. Bars that serve *substantial* food have been allowed to open since June but the rules for them and restaurants have gotten stricter and the gardaí have been given additional laws to enforce.

the schools here are due to reopen next week, but after the news from Germany about outbreaks in 41 schools in Berlin you can imagine the reaction from the teachers unions and parents representative.

my family’s business on the Irish west coast so the moment the domestic travel restrictions lifted we got slammed, every costal town in the country got massive influxes of Irish “staycation” visitors. Meanwhile the shops in the cities and large towns are barely seeing any customers. 

Face masks/shields are now mandatory inside all commercial premises and public transport for anyone over the age of 12 unless you’ve a medically certified reason for not wearing one. 

we’ve had our first name storm of this autumn, right up to a red level warning on the south coast on Wednesday night but it was worse in my area last Thursday night and Friday . The seaweed went right up the length of the lane where our shop is on high tide Friday morning.

I always take the weather warnings here with a major pinch of salt because the forecasters are all based in Dublin and haven’t a clue how to predict what the sea will do. 

Dear Eileeshb,

Thank you for the update from Ireland. My mother and her family were all from County Mayo, and I still have family in the area.  I am always pleased to hear news from the west coast and remember fondly our visits there. Please stay safe and continue to post about your conditions at home.

Best wishes

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:47 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Today we have 22 people in intensive care because of Covid-19 in Sweden. My small part of Sweden, 300.000 people, hasn't had anyone in intensive care since July 25.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 4:22 AM, okpaddy said:

Dear Eileeshb,

Thank you for the update from Ireland. My mother and her family were all from County Mayo, and I still have family in the area.  I am always pleased to hear news from the west coast and remember fondly our visits there. Please stay safe and continue to post about your conditions at home.

Best wishes

Mayo is under an orange-level rainfall warning from tonight to tomorrow evening as storm Frances is on the way. My county is the only one on the west coast which has a yellow level warning, though I’ve no clue how/why they think we’ll escape the deluge.

meanwhile there’s uproar over 2 events in the past week.

The oireachtas (houses of government) golf society held a dinner last week that seems to have breached the covid limits for indoor gatherings. That led to a minister resigning and a half dozen or so other TDs and Senators have been sanctioned by their parties. A Supreme Court judge also attended and had been the attorney general who formulated a lot of the early covid restrictions legislation. There’s been a lot of anger in reaction to this one.

At the weekend there was a protest meeting in Dublin against covid restrictions, one of the speakers at that was a lawyer who is part of the organisation that processes asylum requests. She is now being investigated for her allegiances and potential bias against immigrants. 

There’s 147 new cases nationwide today, and another food processing plant has been added to the list of workplaces with clusters. We’ll go past 28,000 Total cases tomorrow . 
Because this is such a small country pretty much everyone is no more than 2 links away from a victim, I’ve had numerous customers at work who had family members affected by covid and one of my own school classmates had/has it.  The recovered figures only come out intermittently because it is such a long recovery and the tendency for relapses seems high. 
Our ICU number had dropped to 0 before the most recent outbreaks but there’s a massive demand for step down care due to the long term recovery. 
the cottage Industry for hand made face masks is booming, the shop across the road from ours is even producing them. They supply our own brand t-shirts and hoodies, they do silk screen printing by hand. Normally a lot of their business is foreign tourists or festivals and bars, but this summer our shop and another surf shop in the village have been their sole business. Luckily we were insanely busy so made up for a lot of their drop in business. 

A lot of customers love the fact that we get our t-shirts and hoodies printed locally, they’re often still warm from the dryer when the delivery arrives. 

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Mayo is under an orange-level rainfall warning from tonight to tomorrow evening as storm Frances is on the way. My county is the only one on the west coast which has a yellow level warning, though I’ve no clue how/why they think we’ll escape the deluge.

Thank you for the updates. Does your business have a website ? 

Not doing too bad in Canada, about 300 new cases and 4 deaths per day for the entire country. Ontario is at its most open controlled stage. Many municipalities have mask requirements for indoor activities as well as social distancing, but our restaurants and stores are open, and even some movie theaters are opening.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 2:50 PM, MSUjohn said:

i type this from inside a covid isolation unit!! 

hooray! 

Oh dear! Hope you’re doing ok!

there’s been a big appeal here for people booked for testing to show up; apparently up to a quarter of those scheduled for testing aren’t going for the appointment. The biggest proportion of no-shows are people scheduled for a second test 2 weeks after their initial suspected exposure.

Currently visiting family in California and hoping that I will have a house to return to next week. Wildfires are all around where I live in Oregon- lots of people already evacuated and burned out.  My town in on ready-alert.  My house is actually in one of the small  "non-alert" areas between major fires, but that could change at any moment, as 10-20 miles isn't much of a buffer. Sadly, some of these fires are arson, so everyone is on neighborhood patrol for arsonists and looters. There are reports of looters even at the evacuation sites - what is wrong with people!!!

Having trouble deciding whether I should go home later this week (air quality is off-the-charts bad) or stay put and deal with any aftermath later.  Praying for rain this week!

On 9/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, eileeshb said:

Oh dear! Hope you’re doing ok!

there’s been a big appeal here for people booked for testing to show up; apparently up to a quarter of those scheduled for testing aren’t going for the appointment. The biggest proportion of no-shows are people scheduled for a second test 2 weeks after their initial suspected exposure.

thank you for your concern. i do not have covid19 now, I "work" in a covid19 isolation unit.

i did have it in march. 

I’m doing okay.live in Las Vegas. I heard Nevada had the highest unemployment in the country. I’m pretty isolated I live in a gated community. I just started looking at cruises they’re expensive. Does anyone know when they going to have a big sale. I don’t think I’m going until 2022.