Norwegian Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

Less than 7 miles from Elmhurst HMC, New York's newest symbolic ground zero - the sirens aren't being heard as often as ambulance runs continued.  In the past 2 weeks, I am seeing more EMT crews on standby at their staging areas (neighborhood sub-stations, often next to 24/7 locations like Dunkin Donuts, 7-11's and bank parking lots ... waiting for their next calls by dispatch) - it is trending lower than the peak just a few weeks ago.  Still, roughly 2,000 New Yorkers, officially, lost their personal battle with Covid-19 while others remained hospitalized, about 20 to 25% with ICU level of care, fewer intubations as acute intervention & treatment strategies had been evolving as clinicians learned more. 

Behind the purposed-driven bending of the curves are names, faces, families & loved ones, including healthcare personnel & frontline workers that are risking their own lives and exposure to bring this global pandemic under control ... among them, DW's former co-worker's dad in his 50', good health & no known high-risk factors, fighting for his life on oxygen alone after getting infected, taken to ER with symptoms & unable to track down how & where.  

Passenger flights in the US (and, elsewhere) that remained are flying nearly empty but insofar as international cargo operations, they never really stopped and remained part of America's critical infrastructure.  One of our nephew that works at JFK ground ops remained very busy, their teams have been handling an average of 4 jumbo aircraft in-bound daily loaded with pallets full of "relief supplies" including PPE, gloves, face shields and gowns, etc. from abroad.  He lives downstairs in the 2 family house and has been self-isolation, avoiding to mingle & see others - and doing the whole decon routines when he gets home ... today, just three 777-300ER and one 787-900 freighter are inbound.  

The new normal as he and the airline sees it - brace and prepare to flying 15 or 16 hours on a T/A flight, wearing a mask, as among the measures to try to protect others & yourself in C19 infection ... 

We are in this together, globally, and close the borders alone isn't the answer as the virus doesn't care nor respect or recognize boundaries; and, it doesn't discriminate nor offer immunity at the moment.  Last night, tuned into our FDNY/EMS dispatch scanner - we lost at least one more victim to C19, medics arrived on scene & declared it as cardiac, unable & no CPR, police notified for paperwork, code 10-83R to dispatch ... returned to base for PPE/decon.  Another call for "difficulty breather ...." to a different unit and minutes later, crew en route to hospital 78 (within the Queens East zone) radioed in vitals for a run to the ER, ETA 8 minutes out. 

These are the new normal, not just in NY but just about everywhere.  Hope is good and inspirational but needs to be real and practical.  Social distance, wash hands often (not just washy washy with hand sanitizer) and wear a mask outside.  

IMG_20200424_20XXCargo.jpg

13 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Less than 7 miles from Elmhurst HMC, New York's newest symbolic ground zero - the sirens aren't being heard as often as ambulance runs continued.  In the past 2 weeks, I am seeing more EMT crews on standby at their staging areas (neighborhood sub-stations, often next to 24/7 locations like Dunkin Donuts, 7-11's and bank parking lots ... waiting for their next calls by dispatch) - it is trending lower than the peak just a few weeks ago.  Still, roughly 2,000 New Yorkers, officially, lost their personal battle with Covid-19 while others remained hospitalized, about 20 to 25% with ICU level of care, fewer intubations as acute intervention & treatment strategies had been evolving as clinicians learned more. 

Behind the purposed-driven bending of the curves are names, faces, families & loved ones, including healthcare personnel & frontline workers that are risking their own lives and exposure to bring this global pandemic under control ... among them, DW's former co-worker's dad in his 50', good health & no known high-risk factors, fighting for his life on oxygen alone after getting infected, taken to ER with symptoms & unable to track down how & where.  

Passenger flights in the US (and, elsewhere) that remained are flying nearly empty but insofar as international cargo operations, they never really stopped and remained part of America's critical infrastructure.  One of our nephew that works at JFK ground ops remained very busy, their teams have been handling an average of 4 jumbo aircraft in-bound daily loaded with pallets full of "relief supplies" including PPE, gloves, face shields and gowns, etc. from abroad.  He lives downstairs in the 2 family house and has been self-isolation, avoiding to mingle & see others - and doing the whole decon routines when he gets home ... today, just three 777-300ER and one 787-900 freighter are inbound.  

The new normal as he and the airline sees it - brace and prepare to flying 15 or 16 hours on a T/A flight, wearing a mask, as among the measures to try to protect others & yourself in C19 infection ... 

We are in this together, globally, and close the borders alone isn't the answer as the virus doesn't care nor respect or recognize boundaries; and, it doesn't discriminate nor offer immunity at the moment.  Last night, tuned into our FDNY/EMS dispatch scanner - we lost at least one more victim to C19, medics arrived on scene & declared it as cardiac, unable & no CPR, police notified for paperwork, code 10-83R to dispatch ... returned to base for PPE/decon.  Another call for "difficulty breather ...." to a different unit and minutes later, crew en route to hospital 78 (within the Queens East zone) radioed in vitals for a run to the ER, ETA 8 minutes out. 

These are the new normal, not just in NY but just about everywhere.  Hope is good and inspirational but needs to be real and practical.  Social distance, wash hands often (not just washy washy with hand sanitizer) and wear a mask outside.  

IMG_20200424_20XXCargo.jpg

Thanks for the update.  Hope you and DW doing ok.

Need to get yourself a road trip countdown clock.

Latest from Ireland... our chief medical officer is warning that a relaxation on May 18th is not certain as they’re seeing increasing numbers of cases among “young” people. Basically the teens and early 20’s are not abiding by the stay at home advice and are visiting each other, so when one of them tests positive they’re infection more than people in the other age groups are. 
the National leaving certificate exams have been cancelled (similar to U.S. SATs and UK A-levels but 6 or 7 subjects included) those exams almost wholly responsible for college placement. Instead the teachers in the schools have give a best guess of what grade each of their students would have gotten had the exams happened. 

meanwhile the Irish government is announcing supports for the travel industry in Ireland, they’re going to back refund vouchers so if any Irish  tour/travel agent goes bust before its customers can use their credit notes the government will refund those customers. 

The main representative body for our pubs are trying to get the government to allow them to reopen at the same time as restaurants instead of waiting until august. So far the government and medical types are saying no.

Ireland and a half dozen or so other countries are trying to get the EU to change the refund rules for the airlines and get permission for the airlines to only issue vouchers but be certain that the voucher rules are as customer friendly as possible, including that the airline issues a refund at the end of the validity of the voucher if it isn’t used.

we’ve had very unseasonably dry weather since the lockdown started back in mid-March, so much so that my local council issued a red level wildfire warning this week, it was orange for the last few weeks. Thankfully when we’ve had wildfires in the past they’re rarely as extensive or destructive as those in Australia or California or other hotter countries.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, eileeshb said:

Latest from Ireland... our chief medical officer is warning that a relaxation on May 18th is not certain as they’re seeing increasing numbers of cases among “young” people. Basically the teens and early 20’s are not abiding by the stay at home advice and are visiting each other, so when one of them tests positive they’re infection more than people in the other age groups are. 
the National leaving certificate exams have been cancelled (similar to U.S. SATs and UK A-levels but 6 or 7 subjects included) those exams almost wholly responsible for college placement. Instead the teachers in the schools have give a best guess of what grade each of their students would have gotten had the exams happened. 

meanwhile the Irish government is announcing supports for the travel industry in Ireland, they’re going to back refund vouchers so if any Irish  tour/travel agent goes bust before its customers can use their credit notes the government will refund those customers. 

The main representative body for our pubs are trying to get the government to allow them to reopen at the same time as restaurants instead of waiting until august. So far the government and medical types are saying no.

Ireland and a half dozen or so other countries are trying to get the EU to change the refund rules for the airlines and get permission for the airlines to only issue vouchers but be certain that the voucher rules are as customer friendly as possible, including that the airline issues a refund at the end of the validity of the voucher if it isn’t used.

we’ve had very unseasonably dry weather since the lockdown started back in mid-March, so much so that my local council issued a red level wildfire warning this week, it was orange for the last few weeks. Thankfully when we’ve had wildfires in the past they’re rarely as extensive or destructive as those in Australia or California or other hotter countries.

Sending you best wishes and prayers. I was just thinking about my dear Mother who passed away in 2001. I came across your post and it made me remember our trips to County Mayo along the west coast of Ireland. My mother was born and raised in Ireland and my brother and I have visited the area several times. I hope and pray that you and your family are safe. I am also wishing a very happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers, especially those that may be isolated, or in quarantine.  

Another European update... here in Ireland we’ve been warned to conserve water “wash your hands not your patio”,  the dry weather continues. 
the EU authorities are making noises about reopening to tourism but are letting each government make their own decisions about opening their borders.

traditionally continental Europe was covered by the “schengen” travel area which meant no border controls within that area. Ireland and the UK are not part of that scheme and have our own “common travel area”. The schengen regulations are effectively suspended for now. But some countries within the region are opening some of their borders with neighbours. 
Germany and Austria look to be opening their shared border, some of the Baltic states have also opened their borders to each other. 
the Eastern European countries haven’t had anything close to the number of cases the western countries have. The uk are allowing travel from France without quarantine. 
Here’s a piece from an Irish news site

Norwegian Cruise Line Refund Refusal

I purchased $2,000 of credit for future cruises which expires in a year. I usually cruise extensively and would have used all the coupons during normal times.

I contacted them for a refund, as I am a senior and will not be cruising any time soon, if ever.

They said in a round about way, "too bad". They were not very nice, and dismissive.

At 73 years old, I cannot afford to lose $2,000, especially with the fear of cruising ever again.

I have heard there will be cruise companies who will go out of business. The possibility of NCL going out of business was mentioned.

I have been a very good customer of NCL over many many years.

Has anyone else had this happen? What can I do to get my money back? Is there anyone who can help?

Again, NCL refuses to do anything, including refunding my money.

Update, another snapshot from NYC ... "upbeat" news - our nearby field hospital at BJK Tennis Center is closing down with 470 surge bed capacity, let's hope & pray that it will not be needed this Fall/winter and/or with a second wave. 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/coronavirus-blog/2020/05/13/billie-jean-king-tennis-center-hospital-closing

Yes, we cannot wait either to see things easing up, cabin fever is real.  Much rather be worrying about our next cruise, except it is not reality.   

Looking at the data trend this morning, USA continued to set new records, sadly and on track to reach/exceed 150,000 in death toll by August, 99% certain to hit 100,000 by next weekend/early June - with 1.5 million infected cases.  

NYC Dept of Health (DOH) in conjunction with NYS DOH and CDC has issued newly updated guidelines - it is aimed at HCW (healthcare workers) and others on the frontline - extending the self-isolation and/or quarantine period from 7 days to 10 days ("interesting" is the buzz word) 

• 2020 Health Advisory #14:   (click here for direct link to DOH website)
  • Updated NYC Health Department COVID-19 Recommendations
  • Discontinuation of Isolation and Monitoring for People Who Are Asymptomatic; Isolation and Transmission-Based Precautions for People with COVID-19 Including Non-Hospitalized Patients, Residents and Patients in Special Settings, and People Who Are Immunocompromised

A doctor's personal story about his infection experience with Covid-19 on Medscape -  https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/929974?nlid=135479_5653&src=wnl_newsalrt_daily_200510_MSCPEDIT&uac=175941HJ&impID=2376552&faf=1#vp_3 

As someone on the NYC DOH's (9/11) World Trade Center Health Registry, been nearly 20 years - remember back then, US-EPA informed first responders (and others returning to the restricted zones/area) doing the recovery work at ground zero that the air was safe, not toxic and many worn no N95 masks and/or had minimal PPE.  

One sister-in-law's young nephew, just graduated from nursing last year, finally recovered from Covid-19 & clear to return to his frontline job in a NYC hospital.  We are hoping that a friend's dad will join the exclusive survivor's club, been hospitalized and ICU intubated for nearly 3 weeks, prognosis not good - was healthy and fine, until somehow community-infected. 

There isn't a single person in our immediate circles (nurses, medical assistant, retired medical doctor, biomed DNA scientist, and pharmacists) that say, "Uncle H, don't worry - just go ahead and take your next cruise with the necessary precaution, etc."  Hmmm, I wonder why.  While they are busy doing their share in saving lives and making a difference, we aren't about to risk being another burden.  There are safer things we can do, closer to home and on land, that help us cope with cabin fever.    

Yes, that means, putting skills to (pro bono) work other volunteers on the mental health front, we are finding ways of mainly using tele-medicine to address the growing mental health crisis, which is simmering and bracing for PTSD.  

This is a sticky/top thread about "how are things where we live" and not about something else cruise-related but off-topic, thank you.  Be well, safe, healthy and follow the facts on what we know thus far.  

Sorry it's a long post, and if you have time to read it, I appreciate it. It's only now after nearly 9 weeks of lockdown do I realise the impact this pandemic has had and what has been affected, and it is still having, and will continue to do so for a long while.

Hi everyone, this is my first trip over to NCL during this pandemic as I have been concentrating on getting our refund from P&O Cruises for our cancelled transatlantic from Barbados to Southampton that should have departed 28th March. That was a feat in itself but we have now received 99% of the monies and just awaiting £250 for shore excursions.

Next on the list was RCI as we amended a cruise due to depart in June to the TA for Anthem of the Seas from Southampton to Cape Liberty in Oct 2021.

Next on the list is supposedly Breakaway from New York in Oct this year, who knows?

So what's it like in the UK? Well we live 200 miles north of London in the North West of England in Manchester.

We were "locked down" on 23rd March and this was extended for another 3 weeks on April 18th with the tag lines "Stay Home", "Protect the NHS" and "Save Lives". This meant only leaving your home for 1 hour of exercise, self isolation for the vulnerable, and only leaving your home for essential visits to the supermarkets for food or medicines where queuing is now the norm. Most other business were forced to close.

We then moved to the next phase on 13th May which now means we have the slogans "Stay Alert", "Control the Virus" and "Save Lives". People were encouraged to go back to work, but if possible work from home. You can meet people not from your own household in a public place like a park, but "social distancing of 2 metres" still applies. When visiting shops (more opening now) and if you cannot social distance, you should wear a face covering, but it's not mandatory. You can go outside as often as you want to exercise, and you can travel to other areas to exercise (that means lots of people are trying to the travel to beauty spots and coastal resorts with typical results of overcrowding). 

You are encouraged not use public transport and so the roads are now getting busier, although the city centre is still very quiet (we only live 2 miles from the centre).

Restrictions for entering the UK will come into force on 8th June. Anyone entering the country by air, rail or sea will have to complete documents and self isolate for 14 days with spot checks being made by officials. Breaking isolation will incur a fine of up to £1000.That includes all UK citizens. The only exemption is for those travelling from the Republic of Ireland. However, it's strange that if you travel to Ireland you are supposed to self isolate for 14 days! There was confusion about people travelling from France (I assume because of the channel tunnel) and initially French were supposed to be exempt, but that is not the case. There are a few people that will be exempt but that is down to their occupation.

The restrictions will be reviewed every 3 weeks.

The only issue is that obviously the UK is split into England, Scotland and Wales and the rules for Scotland and Wales are different. Which means, even if I could visit my elderly parents (just to stand outside and wave or do shopping for them as they are 84 and 85!) I couldn't because they live in Wales (only a 75 mile drive) but I wouldn't be allowed to enter the country!

Personally we were both furloughed at the start of April and put on the Governments Job Retention Scheme which guaranteed our salaries at the rate of 80%. This was initially for 2 months and was to end on 1st June. However, it was initially extended to end of June and the latest is end of July. So strictly speaking we could have been furloughed for 4 months! Then it was announced it would be extended yet again to October! However, from August to October, the government haven't yet announced what amount of support they will be providing and so employers will have to contribute to the 80% salary level.

However, I pleaded to go back to work as the strain of not working was starting to have a negative effect on my mental health. So, my employers (American Express Global Business Travel) swapped me with someone else who hadn't been furloughed and I started back this week. My partners employer is hopeful that as the housing market in terms of sales will improve and so could be back in the near future.

But as you can see from the name of my employer, I am involved in business travel, and that market (in addition to leisure) has been decimated. To give you an idea of the level of business I am now part of a team of 14 who are supporting all the UK clients we have. Now I was part of a team of 8 handling 8 clients, now we are potentially looking after 160! In reality a high percentage of these clients have travel bans in place so we're only dealing with a small number which are travelling because they are 'key or essential workers'. Most travel is in the UK but some is abroad. The strange thing is that even booking a hotel is a challenge as firstly you need to know if the property is open (so many closed and will stay closed for a few more months). If it is, are they allowing just 'key workers' or 'essential' too? What documentation do they require to validate the travellers status, what food and beverage options are available etc. This list goes on. No more straight forward booking of hotels! Flights are another headache as schedules have been cut to the bone, and where there is no direct service you have to ensure that the traveller is allowed to transit at the connection points and at the moment the UK is high on the list of countries being denied access to places around the world.

Anyway thanks for reading, I told you it was long!

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/10/2020 at 4:34 AM, okpaddy said:

Sending you best wishes and prayers. I was just thinking about my dear Mother who passed away in 2001. I came across your post and it made me remember our trips to County Mayo along the west coast of Ireland. My mother was born and raised in Ireland and my brother and I have visited the area several times. I hope and pray that you and your family are safe. I am also wishing a very happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers, especially those that may be isolated, or in quarantine.  

My uncle’s wife is from a Mayo family, her parents were from Mayo even though she grew up in Chicago and co. Tipperary. Her youngest brothers are just a little older than me so I remember them packing up to move to Chicago again in the 80s. There’s usually a few of her family over here every year, they go to Mayo and nearly always visit us in co. Clare too. 

Meanwhile in Ireland we’re now in the middle of Phase 1 unwinding of lockdown, diy shops, garden centres, home appliance and electronic shops have reopened. Phase 2 should be starting June 8th which will mean I’ll be back at work as they’ll be allowing small retailers to reopen. The 2 cafes in the village have reopened for takeaway, one for breakfast & lunch and the other for late lunch & dinner. 

social distancing is still in place, there’s noises from some of the politicians that they want the distance reduced from 2m to 1m due to updated guidance from WHO. The authorities here finally decided to recommend usage of masks indoors and on public transport.  They’re sticking with the no-gloves recommendation telling us to use hand sanitiser or soap regularly. 

Right now non-essential travel is limited to 5km, in phase 2 that will change to 20km. I live just over 20km from the village where I work but I suspect the local police won’t be too strict on that 20km limit for people heading to the coast. The big concern is Dublin residents heading to holiday towns, more than half the cases in Ireland have been in Dublin. 

anyone coming into Ireland from anywhere but the UK is supposed to self isolate for 14days, the politicians are in the process of passing the legislation required to make it mandatory. 

in theme of other stuff happening alongside covid-19... our weather service has issued a potato blight warning for next week. Bear in mind the Irish potato famine caused by blight in the 1800’s reduced our population by half between deaths from starvation and immigration. While Ireland isn’t as dependent on potatoes anymore the psychological impact of potato blight is significant. 

9 hours ago, eileeshb said:

My uncle’s wife is from a Mayo family, her parents were from Mayo even though she grew up in Chicago and co. Tipperary. Her youngest brothers are just a little older than me so I remember them packing up to move to Chicago again in the 80s. There’s usually a few of her family over here every year, they go to Mayo and nearly always visit us in co. Clare too. 

Thank you for writing and giving me an insight to conditions in Ireland, and travel restrictions in Europe. It is very much like hearing from "family" when you post on here. Please stay safe and keep your family well. 

Things are relaxing in OK, but I'm not certain that is a good thing, at least health wise. I am concerned about the essential workers, and all of the risks they maybe facing. Best wishes for future adventures and maybe good "crack" to come. I don't know if they still say "crack" in Ireland, or if that's outdated.  

On 5/17/2020 at 6:56 PM, EasyGoinGal said:
Norwegian Cruise Line Refund Refusal

I purchased $2,000 of credit for future cruises which expires in a year. I usually cruise extensively and would have used all the coupons during normal times.

I contacted them for a refund, as I am a senior and will not be cruising any time soon, if ever.

They said in a round about way, "too bad". They were not very nice, and dismissive.

At 73 years old, I cannot afford to lose $2,000, especially with the fear of cruising ever again.

I have heard there will be cruise companies who will go out of business. The possibility of NCL going out of business was mentioned.

I have been a very good customer of NCL over many many years.

Has anyone else had this happen? What can I do to get my money back? Is there anyone who can help?

Again, NCL refuses to do anything, including refunding my money.

I believe FCC can be transferred.  I would make a separate post asking anyone if interested. 

On 5/25/2020 at 5:35 AM, okpaddy said:

Thank you for writing and giving me an insight to conditions in Ireland, and travel restrictions in Europe. It is very much like hearing from "family" when you post on here. Please stay safe and keep your family well. 

Things are relaxing in OK, but I'm not certain that is a good thing, at least health wise. I am concerned about the essential workers, and all of the risks they maybe facing. Best wishes for future adventures and maybe good "crack" to come. I don't know if they still say "crack" in Ireland, or if that's outdated.  

we spell it “craic” as it’s Gaelic, just to make sure it doesn’t get mistaken for cocaine 😉

Our national water service is warning us to conserve water because there’s been minimal rain since The start of March. February was horrible with lots of storms we were closed 2 days of each week that month because it wasn’t safe to be open. My family’s business is a surf shop and I’m reasonably confident there’s no other surf shop in the world that gets battered by the surf as regularly as ours. There’s a photo in this article of waves hitting our shop 6 years ago.

Anyhow come March the weather broke and I don’t think we’ve had more than a handful of wet days since then. That is unheard of in this country, there’s a reason we’re the Emerald Isle. 

the politicians had their discussion with the medical people and the medics won the argument about the advised social distance.. we’re still advised to maintain 2mtr distance from each other. 

Michael O’Leary the CEO of Ryanair (biggest budget airline in Europe) went on a rant this morning wanting the government to speed up a return to normality. He even wants the hairdressers to reopen, they’re not scheduled to reopen until late July! The airline currently owes €1.2 billion in refunds to passengers due to covid cancellations.  

if you go grocery shopping the empty sections change every few weeks.. first was toilet paper, mince meat and all sorts of cleaning products. Then it was eggs, then various types of flour, then hair colouring products, now it’s gardening products! 

Some of continental Europe is starting to open up, Ireland’s on track for phase 2 on June 8th which will allow non-essential journeys up to 20km and small retailers can re-open (this includes my family’s shop).

Germany is on track to reopen it’s borders for travellers from 31 European countries by June 15th
France have only just allowed internal travel up to 100km, no indication at present about when they’ll welcome cross-border visitors

Spain is mostly onto phase 3 but Madrid and Barcelona are in phase 2, the government there plans to open to tourist July 1st, no 2 week quarantine 

Italy is almost back all businesses/services open, and from June 3rd will no longer require 2 week quarantine for visitors.

i got all of this from a piece on an Irish news site, but to the best of my knowledge the lifting of quarantine requirements will depend on the country people are travelling from. I know Sweden and the UK are very much on the black/grey list at present

Here’s the original article, bear in mind it’s very much a summary of current status.

Hallo from Slovakia !

I am just moved my Jewel Polynesia - Hawai cruise from October to April next year. I hope the next year situation will be better.

Here in Slovakia ( we are 5.5 millions nation) we have total 28 dead people and last week we have 0 -2 new sicks per day.

Thanks God Pandemic is very light here. The government restrictions started here very early -  start of lockdown  was on 19.3., people were really disciplined, they made masks and applied them from the first day and now we have phase 4 of opening - so everything is more or less  in normal way now - all bussiness run  and the schools and kindergartens were opened today. 

Sorry, that USA started with measures late and  indifferent.

Edited by mispi

12 hours ago, eileeshb said:

Some of continental Europe is starting to open up, Ireland’s on track for phase 2 on June 8th which will allow non-essential journeys up to 20km and small retailers can re-open (this includes my family’s shop).

Germany is on track to reopen it’s borders for travellers from 31 European countries by June 15th
France have only just allowed internal travel up to 100km, no indication at present about when they’ll welcome cross-border visitors

Spain is mostly onto phase 3 but Madrid and Barcelona are in phase 2, the government there plans to open to tourist July 1st, no 2 week quarantine 

Italy is almost back all businesses/services open, and from June 3rd will no longer require 2 week quarantine for visitors.

i got all of this from a piece on an Irish news site, but to the best of my knowledge the lifting of quarantine requirements will depend on the country people are travelling from. I know Sweden and the UK are very much on the black/grey list at present

Here’s the original article, bear in mind it’s very much a summary of current status.

Hi all

Update from mainland Spain where we have had the strictest lockdown in Europe if not further afield, with (if the official figues are to be believed) fantastic results.  In the Valencia region where we are Residents we enter phase 2 today.  Murcia region entered this stage last week but because we encompass the City of Alicante our move forward was set back. No area is in stage 3 and a 6th extension to June 21st is being sort.

We as a country have not had any shortages abiet sometimes the shelves were bare as the shops couldn't fill them fast enough but that was just the 1st 2 weeks.  There is talk of domestic tourism and some beaches are being sectioned off to allow for this.  Our Prime Minister Sanchez and health Minister for tourism Reyes Maroto acknowledged the need for tourism but both insist the health and protection of the nation must be a priority. They are talking of opening the borders to the German and French and other nations but a ban on non essential visits from the U.K will not be lifted until the R figures drop to an acceptable level.

This week we should be on the Escape in the Baltic but are healthy and feel safe not to be bothered about the cancellation. Next up we have the med on the Star and the November T/A on the Epic. Our expectations are low so would be a pleasant surprise if we did sail.

Keep safe everyone 

Denise 

We are doing a progressive reopening.  Here is what we have so far:

1.) Restaurants: Can have outdoor seating, and I believe today they can offer indoor seating.  Customers must wear a mask when walking to/from the table to/from their car and when the host/hostess (if there are any) are taking their order.

2.) Schools are closed for the year, students are doing online learning.

3.) Retail stores CAN open up, but some are choosing to remain closed.

4.) Golf courses are open, but with restrictions.  Eat T-off time is 15 min. apart and you must caddy your own things.

5.) Hairdressers are open for trims and touch ups ONLY.

However, I work in a nursing home in the Recreation department, so I have even more restrictions.  We've been on lockdown since March, so no families or vendors.  None of the residents can visit their friends on other units.  Since we can only have so many in a group (and the only groups we're allowed to have are on the MC unit, all others must be done in the hallways), many of the residents are facing potential issues with depression, boredom, and isolation.  Even in public, I have to wear my mask and follow all CDC guidelines.  If I get the virus, I could easily infect over 200 people, counting staff.  Given the population I work with, people could die.  

Phase 2 started today in Ireland and the government broadened it as the rate of infection has dropped so drastically. We’re down to single digits on the deaths for the past 2 weeks, and less than 50 new cases per day for the last week. There’s less than 30 covid patients in ICU and about 130 in hospital.. that’s across the entire country.

our travel restriction for non-essential travel was widened to our home county and up to 20km from home if crossing the county border. *All* retail outlets have been allowed to reopen with social distancing and stricter hygiene measures than normal. The original plan was to only allow shops with a street level entry and not in shopping malls to reopen this week, but they widened it to all retailers.

We reopened our surf shop today and had customers in & out all day long as well as some phone orders and a delivery from one of our suppliers so we were back at full speed immediately.  
the surf schools aren’t happy with the guidelines they’ve gotten from the authorities, they’re being told any wetsuit they rent out has to be taken out of circulation for 4 days even though they already sanitise those wetsuits after each rental. 
One of our regular lunch spots has a take away option now and we can text them our order so we don’t have to go over and queue.

The government has ditched phase 5 which would have been late august so everything is effectively back in action by mid July, though social distancing will continue and mass gatherings will stay banned. There is more noise now about the social distancing reducing from 2metres to 1metre possibly by the end of the summer which would make it easier for the schools to resume and possible attendance at sports events being allowed on a reduced capacity basis.

Unfortunately there’s increasing numbers of small businesses announcing they won’t be reopening as they couldn’t stay afloat during lockdown, one of the local restaurants in my area is one. They’d only been in business a couple of years and had received high praise from food critics and restaurant reviewers so everyone was very disappointed to hear that news. A local boutique guesthouse has decided to switch to being a house for rent this summer as it’s capacity was too low to be viable as a B&B while the restrictions remain. 

As of midnight tonight we have a hosepipe ban! It’s a rarity in Ireland and would normally happen in July or August when we’ve had them in the past, but since people couldn’t resist power washing their cars, driveways and patios despite repeated warnings the ban finally came in. 

The Irish airlines and airports are trying to get the government to reopen at least some air routes without requiring a 14 day isolation. The problem for us is that while covid has definitely been brought under control here we share a land border with the UK for Northern Ireland and British authorities haven’t banned travel within the UK as a whole. The Northern Ireland authorities haven’t reopened to our level as yet so the border counties will likely be seeing more cross-border travel for shopping with the Nordies coming south for a change. 

• Thanks 1

My cruise was cancelled by NCL in April.  I initiated a chargeback with Capital One and NCL sent a 30 page dispute in response. I submitted proof of the cancellation from NCL and the form they asked me to fill out for a refund. As of today, NCL is still disputing the charge. Capital One has all my documentation but I was informed that NCL has not been issuing refunds. Apparently NCL is calling COVID 19 an act of GOD so they don't have to pay out. NCL SHAME ON YOU!!!!! 

I live in Miami, words cannot describe how difficult it has been here. 

16 minutes ago, kisbel65 said:

My cruise was cancelled by NCL in April.  I initiated a chargeback with Capital One and NCL sent a 30 page dispute in response. I submitted proof of the cancellation from NCL and the form they asked me to fill out for a refund. As of today, NCL is still disputing the charge. Capital One has all my documentation but I was informed that NCL has not been issuing refunds. Apparently NCL is calling COVID 19 an act of GOD so they don't have to pay out. NCL SHAME ON YOU!!!!! 

I live in Miami, words cannot describe how difficult it has been here. 

Our cruises on ncl were for May & off course cancelled.  Do you mean NCL are only giving a credit not a refund?

I think they are pushing for FCC. My bank only stated they are "disputing every chargeback." There is an article about a family of seven that canceled their cruise to Asia in March. The dispute is for 32,000 dollars and the excuse NCL gave them was that it was not covered by their insurance because COVID 19 was an act of GOD. 

7 minutes ago, kisbel65 said:

I think they are pushing for FCC. My bank only stated they are "disputing every chargeback." There is an article about a family of seven that canceled their cruise to Asia in March. The dispute is for 32,000 dollars and the excuse NCL gave them was that it was not covered by their insurance because COVID 19 was an act of GOD. 

We waited until ncl cancelled our cruise & could get a 125% fcc or 100% refund. Our travel insurance didn't cover pandemic either,  but luckily for us the airline & ncl or refunding ours.

On 4/16/2020 at 5:32 PM, MSUjohn said:

im a prison guard. I had to work 29 hours in two days in an impromptu covid 19 isolation unit. I was given a "surgical mask" made out of inmate uniforms (every inmate and guard has received 2, and yes they are made from the fabric of existing stocks of inmate uniforms) and a smock made out of inmate uniforms.

I am pretty sure that neither of these devices does any function other than make me uncomfortable; and I am resigned to that fact that I am going to contract covid19.

Hello MSUjohn!

Today was the first time that I have come to this thread.

Your posts caught my attention, mainly because I did not see anyone reply to you.

So, I just wanted to say that there are people that do care.  My hopes are that you are well!

gg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Hello MSUjohn!

Today was the first time that I have come to this thread.

Your posts caught my attention, mainly because I did not see anyone reply to you.

So, I just wanted to say that there are people that do care.  My hopes are that you are well!

gg

Thank you for your concern ma'am. My job is well fairly low prestige/ high stigma. Well, I was correct in my prediction. A week after that post I was taken ill.

My case was fairly mild;  with a dry "environmental irritat" cough that lasted for a week, a wierd wierd headache that lasted for three days and pretty severe aches and fatigue, but this only lasted two days.

My antibody test was positive and I am hoping that I will have some degree of imunity.

I am still working in the COVID isolation unit. We now have N95 masks, tyvex(sp?) Suits, face shields, bonnets, and booties.

A little late for me though. 😛 

• Like 2