ABTA lobbying for no refunds just Credit notes

Windsurfboy

ABTA and the British travel industry  are lobbying the government to change rules so the don't have to offer a refund if they cancel they can give a future holiday credit instead. 

I urge everyone to contact their MP and object to this.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

ABTA and the British travel industry is lobbying the government to change rules so the don't have to offer a refund if they cancel they can give a future holiday credit instead. 

I urge everyone to contact their MP and object to this 

Do you want to be able to take holidays/cruises in the future? If we all demand refunds they’ll all go out of business and thousands will lose their jobs. None of this was of the travel companies making, and its unprecedented times.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Do you want to be able to take holidays/cruises in the future? If we all demand refunds they’ll all go out of business and thousands will lose their jobs. None of this was of the travel companies making, and its unprecedented times.

The chancellor has a 350billion pound loan scheme for businesses,  cruise companies are eligible.  This is what should save them. Not robbing customers,  you have paid for X , they have no right to force  you to take a credit note for Y. It is not my responsibility to save holiday companies.

When this is over many people will not be able to afford holidays for a few years, they will need the refund to pay essential bills.

Many elderly passengers may not think cruise ships are safe. 

If you want a holiday in the future you can take a credit note,  but make it your choice. 

• Like 2

I believe what they are asking for in effect a delay on refunding.  Providing a credit note to be used over a given period.  If not used by end date then you can insist on a refund.  Either way a massive change especially for anyone who might lose their job over this and will need the cash to get through.      

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, chrisg1uk said:

I believe what they are asking for in effect a delay on refunding.  Providing a credit note to be used over a given period.  If not used by end date then you can insist on a refund.  Either way a massive change especially for anyone who might lose their job over this and will need the cash to get through.      

They are - and what it looks like they're trying to get is a two year delay on refunding.

Two years is far, far too long - I'm not waiting two years to get a refund for my honeymoon being cancelled! 

It shouldn't be the responsibility of customers to provide interest free loans to the holiday companies. Yes, these are completely strange times that nobody has predicted but why should they effectively get to say my money is of more use to the cruise company than it is to me? Because that's effectively what's being said!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

We sailed on the Grand Princess from SF to Hawaii when the Covid-19 outbreak occurred onboard. Princess Cruises has generously refunded the cost of the cruise to a friend who booked with a different tour operator to us. Our tour operator is hiding behind recent ABTA proposals (not yet ratified) and will not release funds until July 31st. The ABTA proposals were introduced after Princess Cruises gave the monies to the tour operators so the "legislation" does not affect us. Are other passengers having the same problem? We do NOT want a credit note (Princess Cruises have offered a free cruise) and the TA has the money in their account. Any thoughts? 

On 3/24/2020 at 12:29 PM, Windsurfboy said:

The chancellor has a 350billion pound loan scheme for businesses,  cruise companies are eligible.  This is what should save them.

Even if the businesses are not registered in the UK, what's written of the stern of P & O ships, don't think it says Southampton 😄

Edited by ovccruiser

2 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

Even if the businesses are not registered in the UK, what's written of the stern of P & O ships, don't think it says Southampton 😄

Britannia and Iona have Southampton.

IF   the gov bow to this  I want to know what ABTA and the Travel Agents  are going to do when half the people

who end up with FCCs  or Vouchers  CANNOT go on any future cruises  as they would not be allowed to

age wise or healthwise.

Looking at what future cruising may  mean I am not sure I  would want to go anyway.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5257/ 

On 4/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, DocW lives in Marple said:

Any thoughts? 

I cant believe it is legal for your TA to hold onto funds paid to them by Princess.

In the event that  your agent goes belly up before you get paid out what happens then.

I would complain to ABTA   What they want the Gov to do has not been done so

the TA should be still working on the 14 day rule.

Whenever I ask why our cruises always seem dearer and  why we cant have price drops

and so on one of the reasons given is that we have better consumer protection. ie Atol  and Abta.

I hope it s not my T/A!! as When /IF they get round to making a refund they say it will be to

wherever  the payment was made from. ie my T/A.   

Edited by Aulanis

As above, the package tour legislation in the UK has not changed, but apparently some tour companies/travel agents refusing refunds and offering credit vouchers are telling customers that "they are following ABTA guidelines".

It is perfectly legal for them to offer you a credit voucher or a rebooking, but not to insist that is your only option.

I suspect that in most cases a firm reminder that they should be following the package tour legislation will work.

The consumer group WHICH? are also looking into this and have already contacted a few companies to remind them of the legislation.

It is not worth complaining to ABTA as they are a group mainly interested in protecting their members, not you. Trading standards could be a better bet.

• Like 1

This from the ABTA site Q&A

"

My cruise has been cancelled, what are my rights?

If your cruise operator expects your departure to be cancelled, the operator should inform you as soon as possible. If this is on the day of travel, you should be informed no later than 30 minutes after your scheduled time of departure.

Meals and refreshments
If your cruise is expected to be cancelled, you should be provided with free snacks, meals and refreshments in relation to the waiting time.

Refreshments should be provided even if the reason for the cancellation is bad weather. However, they need only be provided if they are available or can reasonably be supplied.

This will be affected by a number of factors such as the facilities in the port terminal or on board the ship, the time of day and the proximity of the terminal to local amenities.

ABTA tip
The Department for Transport suggests that reasonable refreshments for a delay of over four hours would be water or tea initially, with a snack or light meal. If the delay goes over eight hours, a hot meal should be provided.

Re-routing or reimbursement
When your trip is cancelled, your cruise operator should offer the choice of an alternative or a refund. "

I have copied the full page in case they change it before I get a refund.

@Windsurfboy  

I have emailed my MP  - I am surprised  that your thread has not had a bit more support.

I for one had no idea ABTA were doing this.

https://www.abta.com/news/abta-urges-government-act-now-holiday-refunds-save-jobs-and-protect-billions-pounds-taxpayers

I suspect they are just looking after their own interests as if an ABTA member cant cover the refunds then ABTA have to. ( I believe but I also thought ABTA were there to help travellers as well ,  maybe that is  only after the ABTA member has gone bust! and not for  helping

tens of thousands of people get their own money back)

In the short term  anything other than cash is probably useless for us  as the proposed restrictions would mean a doctors note and  we might not pass muster so an FCC or Credit note  would never be used before it expired.

In the meantime we could, when permitted,  spend the cash visiting places in the UK.

This would probably be even more useful to the UK economy than booking a cruise which would benefit only a small minority in the country.

It is now 39 days since we were cancelled on board and have had no sense from Princess  UK since.

I'm thinking of adding a count up clock to my signature. ;)

Edited by Aulanis

Another titbit regarding ABTA  - I asked my online TA if they could tell me if Princess were

actually processing my refund request. This is part of their automated reply.

"  Given the unprecedented challenges at present, ABTA have confirmed that they are relaxing their rules in respect to response times, confirming that all businesses should respond to their customers within 56 days. ." 

With any luck I will get a reply same time as my refund !!

Edited by Aulanis

• 1 month later...

Anyone in the UK who feels they are being treated unfairly by a company (e.g. denial of a refund or excessively slow refund from a cruise company or Travel Agent) should register their concern with the CMA, who have a very simple on-line reporting tool:

https://www.coronavirus-business-complaint.service.gov.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/update-on-cma-covid-19-taskforce

The CMA are probably of more use than ABTA to put pressure on businesses at this time.

Automated reply from Princess UK on 26 May

"We are currently experiencing high volumes within the Guest Services team, we will endeavour to respond to you within 14 working days, however please be assured that your correspondence will be responded to within 28 days in line with our ABTA guidelines upon receipt of your correspondence."

No doubt that will be changed to 56 days shortly.

Following the cruise on the Grand Princess which experienced Covid-19 I am pleased to say that the UK travel agent did, eventually, refund the cost of the cruise and flights. Princess cruises have given us the option of another cruise ("free") but the amount offered is much less than we paid for the cruise initially. Are they excluding flights in these prices?

53 minutes ago, DocW lives in Marple said:

Are they excluding flights in these prices?

My guess would be yes  - cruise only - are there no posts in  the original roll call since the cruise ended? 

As Grand would be a special case only those on the cruise with you would be likely to know.

Edited by Aulanis