Cruise Critic Community
treehugr

Will Celebrity add residents of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut to list not allowed to board?

Posted (edited)

Just seen here in Florida the governor has made it mandatory for anyone arriving on a flight from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut to perform a 14 day self-quarantine upon arrival in Florida. Am I correct in assuming cruise lines operating out of Florida would be required to follow suit?

Tampa Bay Times

Edited by treehugr

Posted (edited)

I have no idea how they are going to enforce this.  Hawaii requires the same, but for everyone who arrives from the mainland.  🍷

Edited by Wine-O

Seems interesting to me that he would mandate a 14 day self-quarantine for anyone from those areas yet, failed to mandate closing of the beaches during spring break season.  What's to stop someone from a hot spot who wanted to head to Florida from doing so in their car instead?

1 minute ago, Wine-O said:

I have no idea how they are going to enforce this.  Hawaii requires the same, but for everyone who arrives from the mainland.  🍷

There is no way to enforce it, IMO.  

Sometimes I wish there was a mandated IQ test and minimum IQ test score for all of our politicians before they could take office.  Many would fail I think☺️

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Seems interesting to me that he would mandate a 14 day self-quarantine for anyone from those areas yet, failed to mandate closing of the beaches during spring break season.  What's to stop someone from a hot spot who wanted to head to Florida from doing so in their car instead?

We were just discussing the same thing. Maybe by passport? But then again, the answer would simply be "no I haven't been to those areas in 14 days". 

12 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

I think someone posted on another thread Alaska is doing the same thing. 

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

There is no way to enforce it, IMO.  

What about those on a connecting flight from other states that originated from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut? The possibilities are endless. 

Just now, treehugr said:

What about those on a connecting flight from other states that originated from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut? The possibilities are endless. 

Exactly.  Perhaps the new mandate will just discourage some folks from those areas from getting on the plane in the first place.  But those who are determined to get to their destination will find a way to skirt the system....everyone else be damned.

How can a cruise line function with a ban of all passengers from Asia, Europe and the most-populated parts of the USA? 

Who will fill these big ships?????  

I would expect to see "suspension of operations" dates to be extended.

41 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Sometimes I wish there was a mandated IQ test and minimum IQ test score for all of our politicians before they could take office. 

I wish it too for us here in the Holy Land.....

41 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

I would expect to see "suspension of operations" dates to be extended.

I think it is going to have to happen. Now, Hawaii and Alaska and Canada in aren't accepting any visitors ... not looking too good for the cruise lines right about now.  

I've already had a sailing to Mexico cancelled and soon, I think my Alaska trip for May will be canceled as well.  I can fully accept that and we will be absolutely fine if they have to cancel it.  There's really  nothing I can do but shelter in place until the US and the world gets a better handle on this nasty little bug.  

Kind of absurd when Florida has three times as many cases as Connecticut.

I don't think there are any cruises currently scheduled from NY/NJ to Florida.

10 minutes ago, jalves said:

I don't think there are any cruises currently scheduled from NY/NJ to Florida.

Sorry, confused? All cruises are shut down right now. My question was merely about any cruises departing Florida and if the newly adopted travel restriction on New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut residents would now be added to the current long list of restricted areas by cruise lines. 

23 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Correct. If cruise lines were forced to add New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut residents, one would think Miami / Ft. Lauderdale should as well. Obviously this gets back to the absurdity of trying to enforce such a policy and the domino effect associated with it. 

36 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think it is going to have to happen. Now, Hawaii and Alaska and Canada in aren't accepting any visitors ... not looking too good for the cruise lines right about now.  

Agreed, I just wish they would get on with it! Like most with sailings coming up soon, we're tired of being strung along and wish they would make official what we already know is going to happen. 

3 minutes ago, treehugr said:

Agreed, I just wish they would get on with it! Like most with sailings coming up soon, we're tired of being strung along and wish they would make official what we already know is going to happen. 

As with all cruise lines, I think they are trying to hold onto their cash reserves, if there are any left, for as long as possible.  If they cancel early in the game, they have to begin the process of refunding passengers that are paid up and ultimately facing a lot more cancellations coming down the pike.  Not so easy for getting a line of credit with such a reduced number of future bookings securely in place.  

We are under a shelter in place order here in the Bay Area but, still, they have cruises you can book in a few short weeks out of the pier in San Francisco.  Really??  We haven't even been told we can leave our homes except for only the absolute essentials and no gatherings of people outside your household of any size!  How could they possibly think they are going to sail out of that port.  And, where are they going to go even if they could?  Alaska doesn't want us, Hawaii doesn't want us, Canada doesn't want us, neither Santa Barbara or Monterey want us ... am I'm sure the list will get longer if it hasn't already.  

One thing I've noticed is that all the cruise lines seem to be waiting for the last minute to announce anything in terms of cancellations.  It's a multi-billion industry that has just been brought to its knees.  They are holding onto that cash as long as they can.  And, from what I've been reading, the refunds are trickling in ever so slowly and the FCCs they are offering have some huge restrictions attached, unbeknownst to those that chose the FCCs when first offered. 

And ... I'm getting a little off topic here but it's related, so bear with me.  As a huge concession, CLIA agreed to requiring all passengers over the age of 70 to provide a fitness to travel certification from their physician.  Oh my goodness, I get the point but, they've just eliminated half of their future bookings.... well, at least in the types of sailings we usually book.  They are probably just scrambling around to figure out a way to remain solvent and they don't see cancelling any future sailings until the very last minute a viable solution.  

I would be flying from CT.  I just received an email from JetBlue that we have been re-assigned to an earlier flight on the same day. No mention of the 14 day self-quarantine in FL. 
We know we will not be cruising, but I'm waiting for Celebrity to pull the plug on the May cruise. Once that is done, we will cancel our flights and hotel. I'm worried that Celebrity will play the waiting game, knowing that we will be banned from flying to FLL.

9 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

I would be flying from CT.  I just received an email from JetBlue that we have been re-assigned to an earlier flight on the same day. No mention of the 14 day self-quarantine in FL. 
We know we will not be cruising, but I'm waiting for Celebrity to pull the plug on the May cruise. Once that is done, we will cancel our flights and hotel. I'm worried that Celebrity will play the waiting game, knowing that we will be banned from flying to FLL.

Congrats -- you are in the same boat as me.  Our cruise is due to depart next month on a TP out of Sydney.  All our ports, including the final destination, have banned cruise ships.  We can't fly to Sydney with the 14-day self-quarantine.  If we cancel now, only get FCC.  If we fly to Sydney, who knows what's going to happen.  Royal won't cancel the cruise because they don't want to pay back the cash, only give FCC by waiting to the last minute.  It all just sucks.  🍷

3 hours ago, treehugr said:

Just seen here in Florida the governor has made it mandatory for anyone arriving on a flight from New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut to perform a 14 day self-quarantine upon arrival in Florida. Am I correct in assuming cruise lines operating out of Florida would be required to follow suit?

Tampa Bay Times

Why would this even be a question? There are no cruises operating out of Florida now, or for the foreseeable future. And there won't be until all of the travel restrictions/port closures are lifted. Just because the cruise lines haven't yet cancelled upcoming cruises, don't think for a minute that they will actually sail. As for the cruise cancellations - I see it as a way for the lines to flatten their own curve - instead of cancelling all of them for the next several months, they will do it on a rolling basis, a few weeks at a time.

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

This has more to do with proximity to NY.  Since NY has started exploding in numbers of cases, people have started to flee NY and are flying to FL - this order is more to try to keep these idiots from spreading the virus from NY to more people down here.  And this only applies to people who are traveling down here at this point in time.  

We have homes in NY and Fla,  and have tix on SW Air for June..not for a cruise.  We will probably  defer the trip til the fall.

Airports and planes are not something we want to deal with right now and Fla is not doing that great anyhow from what we hear...food, supplies, hosp beds.

May as well sit home in NY and be bored.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Why would this even be a question? There are no cruises operating out of Florida now, or for the foreseeable future. And there won't be until all of the travel restrictions/port closures are lifted. Just because the cruise lines haven't yet cancelled upcoming cruises, don't think for a minute that they will actually sail. As for the cruise cancellations - I see it as a way for the lines to flatten their own curve - instead of cancelling all of them for the next several months, they will do it on a rolling basis, a few weeks at a time.

Well, because it could be relevant for anyone who may have a booked cruise coming up. Someone from one of these 3 states might not be aware of these newly imposed restrictions and probably wouldn't be unless Celebrity included on their web-site. The cruise lines went through great length and detail to outline restrictions regarding other countries / cities and those imposed by the state department, so I would think it's a fair question to ask if those imposed by the FL governor should by included?