Would you cruise if there was a "modified experience"?

Liljo22

There are rumors that Disney is coming up with a modified experience in order to open their parks back up in the future.  These modifications would include cutting capacity, limiting guest interaction by cutting meet & greets and firework shows, limited the amount of people allowed in line for rides.  If the cruise industry adopted this would you cruise under this format when they start up again.  I would think it would look something like this:

-Half Capacity on ships

-No shows/deck parties or very limited attendance to these

-Set dining times to allow planning for social distancing 

-No buffet or very limited access to the buffet.  

-Reduced loungers on the pool decks.   

Edited by Liljo22

I can't imagine anyone finding that as a palatable option especially those who would also have to fly.  I wouldn't want to spend my hard earned money on a "modified" experience.  It doesn't make sense, to me at least.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

There are rumors that Disney is coming up with a modified experience in order to open their parks back up in the future.  These modifications would include cutting capacity, limiting guest interaction by cutting meet & greets and firework shows, limited the amount of people allowed in line for rides.  If the cruise industry adopted this would you cruise under this format when they start up again.  I would think it would look something like this:

-Half Capacity on ships

hmmm no, I would not enjoy this.

• Like 2

Yes, I would totally enjoy that. I've stopped cruising because I don't enjoy loud groups, lots of people and kids running amok.  I'd totally enjoy a lazy, quiet cruise with few group activities. Just laying by an uncrowded pool, eating well, and seeing lovely ports of call.  It would almost be like an upscale vacation at the Ritz.  I'd love it!

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

-Half Capacity on ships

Half Price, I might consider it.

This sounds awesome. People pay good money to have more room to stretch out on a cruise ship with limited capacity. yes, in a heartbeat I would do it - as long as they reduced the capacity sufficiently to make sure that the space didn't run out. I'd actually be willing to pay more for this type of a cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, susanf31 said:

Yes, I would totally enjoy that. I've stopped cruising because I don't enjoy loud groups, lots of people and kids running amok.  I'd totally enjoy a lazy, quiet cruise with few group activities. Just laying by an uncrowded pool, eating well, and seeing lovely ports of call.  It would almost be like an upscale vacation at the Ritz.  I'd love it!

Put me in a balcony and I'm with you, although I do go to the shows and eat at the buffet.  But the rest of the time I'm watching the ocean from my balcony.  I would have been absolutely fine on the Jewel while it sailed around the So. Pacific with no-where to land.

So before any activity, all guests would have to be quarantined for 14 days, monitored by medical staff, how much? And on the way to the park someone touched a dodgy door handle 🖐 back to square one.

No cruises until 2021 

• Like 1

wouldn't this result in even more losses than not cruising at all? Unless they really jacked up the price of the cruise anyway.  With this plan, they only get half the revenue, but have to pay for all the fuel, all the costs of running the ship, all the officers, and most of the staff.

I am in the group that wouldn't mind this at all- I never eat in the buffet, and only attend some of the shows, and would like an uncrowded, lazy ship!  But I don't see how it helps them financially.

3 hours ago, susanf31 said:

But what if you were not chosen as one of the "lucky" ones to get a lounge chair near the pool that day? Would that make a difference?

4 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

-Half Capacity on ships

I can usually eat a meal in less than 5 minutes (especially breakfast bacon and pinapple)  if there aint no buffet i dont see the point in cruising, I find set dining times like  civilized people do  very tedious.  Does not work for me, that would be a horrible cruise.

Edited by Newleno

I'm more concerned about operational risk than onboard experience or even infection risk. There's an increasing chance of getting stranded in a foreign port, barred from re-entry, quarantined, unable to get flights back, etc.

Most of that is beyond NCLs control, but it still makes a cruise too likely to become an expensive and massive pain in the neck for everyone.

I can't imagine why NCL would even attempt sailing for the next few months. 

6 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

-Half Capacity on ships

3 of those 5 are dealbreakers for me, so definetly nope unless they also drop the price a lot but not even then...

7 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

-Half Capacity on ships

Would not matter to me

Skipping a seat works for me

Deck parties get cancelled for weather, etc and it was skipped on my March 8th Getaway cruise not an issue

Spacing on the Getaway in the Mahattan room so no issue, lots of open tables. Dining times were not used the only reason to add that might for be to keep people from waiting and managing their social distances.

NCL had the buffet they just serve everything at it was great. They could simply remove chairs or mark tables DO NOT USE to maintain Social Distancing

I don't really use the pool deck, maybe Spice H2O 

For Marketing purposes modified would not be used. I think the term set some people off, but we have all had modified experiences at some time.

Edited by Nola26

57 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

NCL had the buffet they just serve everything at it was great. They could simply remove chairs or mark tables DO NOT USE to maintain Social Distancing

I don't really use the pool deck, maybe Spice H2O 

For Marketing purposes modified would not be used. I think the term set some people off, but we have all had modified experiences at some time.

My thought on the buffet closing was the amount of crew needed to handle the serving.  On our cruise a few weeks ago everyone was helping out.  The engine crew was serving drinks, the spa crew was handing out plates, and even the GM was squirting ketchup on my burger.  All the cruise lines have duplicate sides to the buffet so I guess they could go this route and shut down one side so less crew is needed.  

Edited by Liljo22

I was thinking that I wouldn't mind going to Great Stirrup Caye instead of Bermuda, if cruising resumes before Bermuda is ready to accept cruise ships. I am trying to be patient though, and probably won't be going anywhere until next spring 😑 or November this year at the earliest.

• Like 1