The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Hey, hey, there is no virus in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge.  Plenty of time to speak of such things on those nasty other threads.  Don't be coming in here and harshing everyone's mellow.  Another Martini please Ralf. 🍸

10 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hey, hey, there is no virus in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge.  Plenty of time to speak of such things on those nasty other threads.  Don't be coming in here and harshing everyone's mellow.  Another Martini please Ralf. 🍸

Sorry - you're right.

Can I have a chocolate martini?

48 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Yes, my daily therapy is to re-live one of my favorite cruising days.  Today, I am sitting in the Virtual Explorers  Lounge and remembering another day up there—the day we sailed into Rio on the 2019 WC.  It was Viking’s first time There, and they had a helicopter taking videos, much like the sail in to Sydney on the first WC.  Pretty spectacular!9B4CF11A-AC3E-40A0-9D1F-32CB34FB2BA6.thumb.jpeg.6ec41fa6e553e9c8633a49f5a215483a.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

True,true !  You do not want to jump over to the Norway Flag thread which is really about gratuities without at least two Martinis ,Lemon Drop or otherwise !   It's not too early to have one, right ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

You know the old saying "It's 5 o'clock somewhere".  Well, in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge they tell me it is always 5 o'clock.....🍸

Stuck in the 5PM time wrap !  Works for me , although we are have tuna tacos tonight so I think, for today in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge, I will stick with a Margarita, on the rocks, no salt ,just tequila, triple sec, juice of half a lime and a splash of Grand Marnier on the top. 🥃 Works pretty well with our hot Texas weather.  Probably would work you you in AZ too .

• Like 2

And worthy of another Margarita in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge is the fact that the US State Department lifted the Global Level 4 "Do Not Travel" alert .  Now it is country by country.  Still not ideal, but baby steps as we adjust to this situation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

You know the old saying "It's 5 o'clock somewhere".  Well, in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge they tell me it is always 5 o'clock.....🍸

Arr!!, that must be the landlubber's translation of, "The sun is over the yardarm" 😁🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched Mighty Cruise Ships episode on the Viking Sea.  Really makes me grateful for the time spent at sea with Viking.  Certainly hoping to get back aboard.[emoji41]

Thanks for the idea. Just watched it on Youtube. Can’t wait to sail again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 8/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, Jim Avery said:

Just watched Mighty Cruise Ships episode on the Viking Sea.  Really makes me grateful for the time spent at sea with Viking.  Certainly hoping to get back aboard.😎

So you or Andy may be able to weigh in...they spent lots of time in the documentary dealing with the balance of the propellers.  While some of this was the usual drama to get you to stick around during the commercial, I was surprised that if this balance issue is such a big deal that I didn’t notice a significant vibration difference from other cruise ships.  

I guess I was expecting to not feel any vibration at all. While what I felt wasn’t objectionable, it is equal to what I feel in other ships. Of course the Viking ships are the only small ones I have been on (HAL Veendam being the next smallest) so perhaps there is some proportionally involved?  Anywho-would love your thoughts on the importance of the prop’s balance and whether they were actually successful.  

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

So you or Andy may be able to weigh in...they spent lots of time in the documentary dealing with the balance of the propellers.  While some of this was the usual drama to get you to stick around during the commercial, I was surprised that if this balance issue is such a big deal that I didn’t notice a significant vibration difference from other cruise ships.  

I guess I was expecting to not feel any vibration at all. While what I felt wasn’t objectionable, it is equal to what I feel in other ships. Of course the Viking ships are the only small ones I have been on (HAL Veendam being the next smallest) so perhaps there is some proportionally involved?  Anywho-would love your thoughts on the importance of the prop’s balance and whether they were actually successful.  

Clay - ship vibration, especially iwo the props & shafting is a highly complex subject, best left to the Naval Architects. In my studies of naval architecture and ship construction, we only covered the basics.

The balance of the propeller, is just 1 potential cause of vibration. My last ship had about 9' diameter highly scewed controllable pitch props, with 4 blades on each shaft. Our shafts rotated at a fixed speed of 210 RPM.

They tried to balance the 4 blades so the centre of rotation of the prop was the same as the shaft. One year we lost the tip of a blade. This was before divers developed the ability to change out blades under water, so we required an emergency drydocking. Unfortunately, neither of the 2 local drydocks, capable of handling the ship, were available for over a week.

We were directed to continue operations, using reduced pitch on the damaged prop. Couldn't slow down the shaft, so we had a definite thump, thump on every rotation. We managed to power setting based on loading to minimise the vibration. Due to the imbalance, by the time we drydocked, it had cause wear on the stern tube. Therefore, drydock repairs were significantly more than changing out a blade, as we had to pull the shaft.

Going back to the steam liners of the 70's, which at times had significant vibration at the stern. In the intervening years, technology has increased, but ship's speeds have also been reduced significantly. On SS Oriana, at 25 to 30+ kts we had most notable vibration at the stern, but at < 20 kts it was barely noticeable. When we were on the Viking Sun, we spent most passages at 15 kts or less, with hardly any prop vibration.

Through pirate alley, we hit 19+ kts and I was impressed by the minimal vibration at the stern. Definitely increased from 15 kts, but certainly way better than many ships I have sailed on. Mind you, as I noted earlier, the vibration can be caused by a number of causes in addition to balance.

For example - we had a 6,000HP ship, which they re-engined with 20,000HP. Didn't change to props or shafts, with the result of horrendous vibration and a rooster tail about 15' high. Multiple causes, not the least being the ship's scantlings weren't designed for that much power.

• Thanks 1

I agree with what Andy said and would add that propeller design/build is as much art as science.  Most ship's propellers have weights measured in tons so balance can be a real problem.  Andy mentioned ships sailing at much reduced speeds compared to the "Golden Era" liners.  In the early years of the QE2 they had significant propeller issues causing heavy vibration at speed.  At speed meant over 30 knots on that fine ship.  The aft bar, called at the time The Double Down Aft Bar, was quite fun.  The decor included lots of pipe like metal which set up a real racket from vibration.  Also, the bartender handed you your drink, not put it on the bar.  A drink set on the bar vibrated so that the liquid splashed out of the glass.  At the time, QE2 was the most powerful twin screw ship yet built with the largest propellers built so they were learning as they went.  But then there was the R-Ship Pacific Princess.  We had one of the large aft suites with a dining area.  When they made speed (17 knots or so) at night we had to take the glass top off the dining table or it would vibrate off.  That ship could only make 30+ knots if falling off a cliff.  I also agree, Viking Sun is remarkably smooth and vibration free.  Possibly some new form of propulsion in the future will totally eliminate vibration in ships but until then, the sorcerers that design propellers are our best hope.  🍸

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where is everybody?  I am getting discouraged about travel in general.  We spend many weeks in Mexico to escape Michigan winters...not sure it will be safe this year....Delta must figure not many of us will go because they just canceled our direct flight from Detroit to Puerto Vallarta!  Which means an extra airport and germy airplane!

I’m sitting here on my balcony wishing it was the ocean down below rather than green grass.  But at least it’s a lovely morning here in Raleigh.  

I too am getting worried about whether we will ever be able to truly travel freely again. I am so glad we retired early and got our two nomadic years in when we did.  But sure hope we can see some new sights and return to the real life Explorer’s Lounge sometime. 

When I get discouraged (depressed?) about the current situation (Covid, civil unrest, economic recession) I remind myself of how lucky I am to have a nice place to live, food on my table and to be alive.  170,000+ Americans can’t say the same anymore and for my good luck I am truly thankful. 

DFBEA799-288A-4570-99ED-2793EE10D47D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, deec said:

Where is everybody?  I am getting discouraged about travel in general.  We spend many weeks in Mexico to escape Michigan winters...not sure it will be safe this year....Delta must figure not many of us will go because they just canceled our direct flight from Detroit to Puerto Vallarta!  Which means an extra airport and germy airplane!

Hi Dee,

Where do y'all stay when in PV?  We have been there a number of times from ships but never went there as a destination.  Lots of nice looking resorts but spread out over several districts.  The Old Town and Malecon appeal but "local knowledge" can't be beat.  Yall have fun.🍸

Ok, I’m going to join you with my real breakfast in the virtual Explorer’s Lounge.  And I have a question for all you seasoned travelers.  We are seasoned travelers too, but have never done a holiday cruise.  We are now booked on the first segment of the next WC, Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.  through the Panama Canal.  We are on the ship and at sea Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Year’s Day.  What can we expect in terms of meals (or what could you expect in the good old days)?  Should we make reservations at the speciality restaurants for those special nights, or will the ship do a special meal?  I know, I know, I can’t make dining reservations until Oct. 2021, But just curious and love to dream that we might cruise again, even if not until the last part of next year.

Good Morning Santa Fe.

We have sailed holidays, once on HAL from San Diego and last Christmas/New Year on Viking Sun.  The HAL cruise was nice, as they all are, but the Viking Sun Holidays was spectacular.  The decorations, especially the gingerbread village was just amazing.  The food was excellent and yes, book early as you can.  DW's Birthday is Christmas Eve and we had a special dinner in Manfredi's.  Lots of pictures and description on my posting of the London/LA leg of the Ultimate World Cruise.  

We have done New Year's Eve cruises three times now. The first two years, it was a party in the Atrium. I can't remember what we did on New Year's day. Were we at sea? In port and touring or not touring?

The third year, Viking upped the ante. The party was divided between the Atrium and the pool deck/Wintergarden with a video connection between the two venues. The next morning, there was a huge buffet around the pool. The kitchen must have been preparing for it non-stop all day and all night.

16 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Good Morning Santa Fe.

We have sailed holidays, once on HAL from San Diego and last Christmas/New Year on Viking Sun.  The HAL cruise was nice, as they all are, but the Viking Sun Holidays was spectacular.  The decorations, especially the gingerbread village was just amazing.  The food was excellent and yes, book early as you can.  DW's Birthday is Christmas Eve and we had a special dinner in Manfredi's.  Lots of pictures and description on my posting of the London/LA leg of the Ultimate World Cruise.  

Thanks, Jim.  I think ours was the only WC that didn’t go over the holidays, we started in Miami on Jan. 3.  So this is a nice change for us, or at least for me.  No week of shopping, days of cooking, and half a day of cleaning up (well, that’s my husband’s gift to me).  We will book dining on the first day, but since this is the first segment of the WC, those guys will have early dibs, I’m sure.  We did.  Anyway, I can’t wait!  Only 460+ Days!

16 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

We have done New Year's Eve cruises three times now. The first two years, it was a party in the Atrium. I can't remember what we did on New Year's day. Were we at sea? In port and touring or not touring?

The third year, Viking upped the ante. The party was divided between the Atrium and the pool deck/Wintergarden with a video connection between the two venues. The next morning, there was a huge buffet around the pool. The kitchen must have been preparing for it non-stop all day and all night.

Thanks.  I thought there probably would be a big poolside buffet, but those might be things of the past!

Hi Jim,

We spend most our time in Nuevo Vallarta which is North at a time share Vidanta Resort which is lovely and Pat plays golf BUT it is not really Mexico. It could be plopped down most anywhere in the world!  But we always spend a week in Puerto Vallarta itself at an OLD resort called Los Tules (also time share) so we can go downtown to eat and enjoy MEXICO!!!  The weather is great and do not have to look at snow.  My days of enjoying winter sports are done but I may have to get the skis out this winter to keep cabin fever at bay!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deec said:

We continue to enjoy life in Pasadena, California.  More so now that the good places to eat have expanded outside dining.  I did travel last month to Colorado.  My son got married, but with the Covid risk, my wife who is higher risk did not go.  I drove.  Day one Pasadena to Fuita and Day two to Denver.  I took my time staying rural on my return.  

Return Day 1 Denver to Leadville with excellent ice cream in Buena Vista.  Day 2 Leadville over Independence Pass into Aspen and a hard left at Carbondale to Delta and then 50 miles of dirt road to Nucla and then further west and north to spend the night in Moab.  Day three north to I-70 for a bit and then through Capital Reef and south through Escalante spending the night in Panguich.  Day three through Cedar Breaks and picking up I-15 in Cedar City stopping in Las Vegas for a Covid test (negative) and home that evening.  This is a hot time of year to explore Utah and if it had not been so hot I would have gone south from Moab and cross the river by Ferry at Hall's Crossing but that is another trip.

I might do an explore interior southern Utah in October/November, this is a camping trip and I don't like camping in hot weather.  Camping in hot weather is like my cruise on Norweigon in 1992, a bit primitive and uncomfortable