The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

13 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

Happy New Year. 2021 will be better. Just want to let everyone know that Viking has dropped the air for the 11/14/21 SAC. 

Happier New Year to you!  I’m sure just as I hit “submit reply” I will figure it out, but since I can’t at this moment, what does SAC stand for?

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Happier New Year to you!  I’m sure just as I hit “submit reply” I will figure it out, but since I can’t at this moment, what does SAC stand for?

I'm with you Clay.  Strategic Air Command popped up in my twisted mind.  Could be "South Atlantic Crossing".......🍹

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I guess that I am not alone in not understanding acronyms.  When I was employed I went through some Executive Leadership Training and the leader who was Gen X kept using acronyms.  I happened to be the only boomer in the class and at one point I had to point out that my capacity for new acronyms had been exhausted and I asked that he use full terms in his presentation.  That might have been the first time that I heard the phrase. "OK Boomer".

I might add that he kept making reference to Star Wars terms from episode whatever.  When I clarified that it was from the original movie  which I saw in the theater he explained how what I saw what not the original but rather a later episode.  He also didn't like it when I told him that true space shows including characters such as Kirk, Spock and Bones!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

I guess that I am not alone in not understanding acronyms.  When I was employed I went through some Executive Leadership Training and the leader who was Gen X kept using acronyms.  I happened to be the only boomer in the class and at one point I had to point out that my capacity for new acronyms had been exhausted and I asked that he use full terms in his presentation.  That might have been the first time that I heard the phrase. "OK Boomer".

I might add that he kept making reference to Star Wars terms from episode whatever.  When I clarified that it was from the original movie  which I saw in the theater he explained how what I saw what not the original but rather a later episode.  He also didn't like it when I told him that true space shows including characters such as Kirk, Spock and Bones!

I must apologize, My children and grands are all geeks. I call them "text  junkies" . SAC stands for Southern Atlantic Crossing. I looked at the page the other day and low and behold the air was free. I called Viking and they were more than helpful. Two of my friend decided to join.

As a boomer myself, I should know better. As a former medical peson, I live in the world of acronyms. as a retired medical person I can do better.=

On 1/4/2021 at 9:49 AM, Jim Avery said:

I'm with you Clay.  Strategic Air Command popped up in my twisted mind.  Could be "South Atlantic Crossing".......🍹

Jim Avery, Strategie Air Command, never entered my mind, even though my son and my deceased husband are/were Air Force. You are correct it is Southern Atlantic Crossing.

• Like 1

Did any one else receive an email survey from Viking recently?  I received one today - 

..."As we look forward to once again sailing the world’s waterways, we are busy exploring new cruise options for 2022 and beyond. While developing these new offerings, we would like to get your feedback, especially on your preferred payment terms.

This survey is intended for your eyes only and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Please do not complete the survey multiple times or forward this survey invitation to others, as the link is unique to you. Your input is very valuable to us and we are grateful for your time."...

But after I started it  -  filling out the usual demographic information (three pages or so), there was another question about who makes the travel plans... and then it ended with a quick "Thank you" and ended.

Hmm...  Nothing about payment terms etc. so I don't know if it was aborted mid survey due to my previous responses?

Just curious - this is the first time  have received  an email survey from Viking.

Thanks for any insight!

5 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Did any one else receive an email survey from Viking recently?  I received one today - 

..."As we look forward to once again sailing the world’s waterways, we are busy exploring new cruise options for 2022 and beyond. While developing these new offerings, we would like to get your feedback, especially on your preferred payment terms.

This survey is intended for your eyes only and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Please do not complete the survey multiple times or forward this survey invitation to others, as the link is unique to you. Your input is very valuable to us and we are grateful for your time."...

But after I started it  -  filling out the usual demographic information (three pages or so), there was another question about who makes the travel plans... and then it ended with a quick "Thank you" and ended.

Hmm...  Nothing about payment terms etc. so I don't know if it was aborted mid survey due to my previous responses?

Just curious - this is the first time  have received  an email survey from Viking.

Thanks for any insight!

If you answered that someone else makes the travel plans, they might not have wanted to hear from you.

However, if you said you do make the travel plans, then maybe it was just a programming glitch. I have seen them in past surveys.

BTW, don't expect a question specifically about payment terms. I don't remember it ever being covered in any of the surveys I have done over the years. Hopefully that will have a free form box and you can include comments about payments schedule there.

9 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

I must apologize, My children and grands are all geeks. I call them "text  junkies" . SAC stands for Southern Atlantic Crossing. I looked at the page the other day and low and behold the air was free. I called Viking and they were more than helpful. Two of my friend decided to join.

As a boomer myself, I should know better. As a former medical peson, I live in the world of acronyms. as a retired medical person I can do better.=

Not to worry. Some of us figured it out. I used the VO site to look up cruises in November. 😊

6 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Nope but will make sure to be more attentive during my email clean-up, i.e., scanning my mail first to delete everything I consider junk. Thanks for the heads up!

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

If you answered that someone else makes the travel plans, they might not have wanted to hear from you.

However, if you said you do make the travel plans, then maybe it was just a programming glitch. I have seen them in past surveys.

I am the one who makes all travel arrangements and answers as such... so maybe it was a glitch.  

Was a bit concerned when it ended abruptly,  thinking maybe I was a "bit hasty" in  offering my opinion, before thoroughly checking out the email address it was sent from etc. 🙂  And it did come to my private email (the one registered with Viking for actual travel planning and purchasing)  and not the one I use for newsletters, general solicitations and list serves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I think you are right Jim. That date corresponds  with the Barcelona to Buenos Aires cruise. Silly me, I’ve even been keeping my eye on it hoping for a special promo price!

Clay, this has nothing to do with your post here, but I saw another post about lamb chop breakfast. Is this available every morning in the Restaurant? 🙂

2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Clay, this has nothing to do with your post here, but I saw another post about lamb chop breakfast. Is this available every morning in the Restaurant? 🙂

Having read Clay's mention of it, we did in deed have lamb chops for breakfast in the Restaurant on our last cruise. I had planned to eat them in Manfredi's but found that they are no longer on the menu there☹️, so I was glad to know that I could get them for breakfast. Better than steak and eggs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Having read Clay's mention of it, we did in deed have lamb chops for breakfast in the Restaurant on our last cruise. I had planned to eat them in Manfredi's but found that they are no longer on the menu there☹️, so I was glad to know that I could get them for breakfast. Better than steak and eggs.

Clay confirmed to me that the chops are a side dish you can get. Very decadent and exciting!🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that very informative article. 

I'm surprised that EPIC, a healthcare records management firm, hasn't provided exactly this kind of passport certification.  They already have your vaccine history,  immunizations, etc.  The benefit is the healthcare system, not the individual, would be the certifying agency. With the individual's consent and shared info,  a cruise line could deliver the travel passport and health history to the examining official in Barbados, Iceland, etc prior to arrival.

EPIC is the processing end of the MyChart system used by many hospitals and doctor practices to unify health records.  Cerner and a few other firms offer similar services to their clients.

11 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Thanks for sharing that very informative article. 

I'm surprised that EPIC, a healthcare records management firm, hasn't provided exactly this kind of passport certification.  They already have your vaccine history,  immunizations, etc.  The benefit is the healthcare system, not the individual, would be the certifying agency. With the individual's consent and shared info,  a cruise line could deliver the travel passport and health history to the examining official in Barbados, Iceland, etc prior to arrival.

EPIC is the processing end of the MyChart system used by many hospitals and doctor practices to unify health records.  Cerner and a few other firms offer similar services to their clients.

My daughter is a programmer for Epic.  The company provides the software for health records to hospitals and large practices, but doesn't actually hold the medical records.  Microsoft, Oracle, and other companies are working on mobile apps that could access state's vaccine records.

12 hours ago, JeriGail said:

My daughter is a programmer for Epic.  The company provides the software for health records to hospitals and large practices, but doesn't actually hold the medical records.  Microsoft, Oracle, and other companies are working on mobile apps that could access state's vaccine records.

Thanks!  Great info to know.  Was always wondering how Viking would know if/when we are vaccinated and how to prove it.   

13 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Wow!  How good is that.  As long as there are no computer glitches/crashes, system hacks, power outages, dead cell phone batteries, third world countries with incompatible equipment this electronic documentation will be SO much better than those pesky International Vaccination cards signed by your doctor that you actually had to tuck into your passport and have with you....... 🍸

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks!  Great info to know.  Was always wondering how Viking would know if/when we are vaccinated and how to prove it.   

The Vaccination Credential Initiative (VCI) is a coalition of public and private partners that is seeking to give individuals digital access to their vaccination records.

VCI (vaccinationcredential.org)

Some of the members include Cerner, Epic, Mayo Clinic, and Microsoft.  Individuals would get access to their records via the SMART Health Cards specification - SMART Health Cards Framework (healthwallet.cards) - with a digital wallet app or PDF or paper printed with a QR code.

The SMART health card concept is to have an issuer (such as a lab) generate verifiable credentials.  Individual would then store those credentials and be able to present them when needed.  The verifier (such as a cruise line) would then ensure that the credentials are properly signed.

Yep - technology is required for this, but vaccination cards have no way to be verified.  They did have an option to have a paper printed with a QR code that could be verified, so you wouldn't need to worry about your phone dying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JeriGail said:

The Vaccination Credential Initiative (VCI) is a coalition of public and private partners that is seeking to give individuals digital access to their vaccination records.

VCI (vaccinationcredential.org)

Some of the members include Cerner, Epic, Mayo Clinic, and Microsoft.  Individuals would get access to their records via the SMART Health Cards specification - SMART Health Cards Framework (healthwallet.cards) - with a digital wallet app or PDF or paper printed with a QR code.

The SMART health card concept is to have an issuer (such as a lab) generate verifiable credentials.  Individual would then store those credentials and be able to present them when needed.  The verifier (such as a cruise line) would then ensure that the credentials are properly signed.

Yep - technology is required for this, but vaccination cards have no way to be verified.  They did have an option to have a paper printed with a QR code that could be verified, so you wouldn't need to worry about your phone dying.

Further to Jim's reply, the technology may work well for travel within the US and some of the developed world, but it most likely will not be accepted world wide.

When the ship arrives at a port, requesting Free Pratique, the local authorities will dictate what records they require and the format. Even within the past few years, in a number of ports, I've seen the Pursers carrying numerous boxes of Passports and other required documentation, for inspection by the local authorities. In many ports they have no scanners, QR code readers, etc.

Not saying it wont be accepted, but as we tend to cruise to less developed regions, we will maintain our International Vaccination Records.

• Like 3

That's really interesting info, thanks.

After my vaccination, I asked the supervisor about digital evidence. She confirmed what Jeri said, that Epic / MyChart doesn't hold my info on Epic servers. The hospital system, and some of its participating doctor groups hold that on their own servers. So, evidence could be coming from many sources. My paper card cites the maker, dose, inoculation date, production batch and date, clinic, and an alphanumeric string.

There's too much money at risk for many cruise destinations not to accept some form of certified evidence for incoming visitors.