Jump to content

The Virtual Explorers' Lounge


photopro2
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Gojagators said:

What's the best single malt in the house?  After a very trying but finally successful day booking our excursions for Iceland, I really need a shot.  Heck, just give me the whole bottle.  Packing can wait for now.

LOL we finished a bottle of wine after our excursion experience well before it was 5 o'clock even in Iceland.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Twitchly said:


I’m impressed you can fit everything into that.
 

DH manages to use a carryon, too, but then he’s stuck doing loads of laundry on vacation. 

This is only a seven night cruise-how much does anyone need?  We found we could pack 12 days worth of clothes in our rollaboards when we were living nomadically. Just have to pack tight and have a colorway so that you can wear anything with anything.  I wish I could be like Steve Jobs or Ina Garten and just have a “uniform” but I’m too cheap to pay full price for clothes so I get what’s on clearance 😂

 

Here is what’s inside that bag. 

8BCBA9AD-A7DF-44C1-9833-12AFE5492ADB.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just have to pack tight

lol....like Rick Steeves always advocates...pack light (except that he's got a whole crew traveling with him!)  Always got a kick out of how he suggests only 5 pair of underwear. Wear and wash I suppose. 

 

 

Edited by OnTheJourney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have lived for nearly 6 weeks out of what I pack in my 22” carry on roller board and back pack. This includes the 3 weeks we were in  France in Dec. and the safari + Maldives trip where we got married for just under 6 weeks (I will admit I was sick of everything after that trip).
 

Here is a pic of what I packed for the 15 day Trade Routes cruise. The only thing not included is my rain jacket and my waterproof Merrill’s (which I wore).   Everything here fit in my carry on roller and backpack.....we did not take the cat!

3F0EAB21-4E68-4A57-83F4-F175052AB63C.jpeg

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

This is only a seven night cruise-how much does anyone need?  We found we could pack 12 days worth of clothes in our rollaboards when we were living nomadically. Just have to pack tight and have a colorway so that you can wear anything with anything.  I wish I could be like Steve Jobs or Ina Garten and just have a “uniform” but I’m too cheap to pay full price for clothes so I get what’s on clearance 😂

 

Here is what’s inside that bag. 

8BCBA9AD-A7DF-44C1-9833-12AFE5492ADB.jpeg

I happen to be a spreadsheet guy, but I don’t get to this level of detail....EVER

keep up the great posts including Instagram.  Clay, you and your husband know how to have fun and live!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

I happen to be a spreadsheet guy, but I don’t get to this level of detail....EVER

keep up the great posts including Instagram.  Clay, you and your husband know how to have fun and live!

Oh in the old days, I had it set up by what I planned to wear each day and then to COUNT and then report totals by type of clothes. It was very complicated.  This one is basically a list.  LOL

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Happier topic - Full size Viking River and Viking Ocean (Inc Expeditions) catalogs arrived over the past 2 days. Even tho I know the Viking site provides way more info than these catalogs - I like having them. Sometimes the catalogs actually present the info that's on the site better. I know - sounds silly but hey! What's wrong with silly?😁

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aaahh.  A Sunday morning Bloody Mary in Explorers.  How do they keep all that floor to ceiling glass spotless?  I'll have a vodka tonic and think on it.....🍸

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Aaahh.  A Sunday morning Bloody Mary in Explorers.  How do they keep all that floor to ceiling glass spotless?  I'll have a vodka tonic and think on it.....🍸

Jim, I am not a Bloody Mary admirer...what other pre-lunch drinks would you recommend? 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Jim, I am not a Bloody Mary admirer...what other pre-lunch drinks would you recommend? 🙂

Excellent mimosas!  Lost many a trivia game after imbibing too many at brunch on sea days!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Jim, I am not a Bloody Mary admirer...what other pre-lunch drinks would you recommend? 🙂

Haha, Andy would say there is always a good pint of beer.  🍺 I could agree with that.  Mimosas and all that ilk are Girly drinks...  But then, if you like orange juice, there is always the classic Harvey Wallbanger.🍹

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Jim, I am not a Bloody Mary admirer...what other pre-lunch drinks would you recommend? 🙂

How about a salty dog? (or if salt is a problem, leave it off the glass and order a greyhound.) F7825D02-D814-4209-AA85-FB751AC03971.thumb.jpeg.ba13c1b6bf6d2010418a32cc69f34fb1.jpeg

F7670035-21DA-4B06-A852-B2D11345296F.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 9:53 AM, Clay Clayton said:

This is only a seven night cruise-how much does anyone need?  We found we could pack 12 days worth of clothes in our rollaboards when we were living nomadically. Just have to pack tight and have a colorway so that you can wear anything with anything.  I wish I could be like Steve Jobs or Ina Garten and just have a “uniform” but I’m too cheap to pay full price for clothes so I get what’s on clearance 😂

 

Here is what’s inside that bag. 

8BCBA9AD-A7DF-44C1-9833-12AFE5492ADB.jpeg


And a spreadsheet! You just added another layer of impressive there. 
 

I notice you left “toiletries” blank. Those would take up about half my carry-on, I’m afraid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 6:53 AM, Clay Clayton said:

This is only a seven night cruise-how much does anyone need?  We found we could pack 12 days worth of clothes in our rollaboards when we were living nomadically. Just have to pack tight and have a colorway so that you can wear anything with anything.  I wish I could be like Steve Jobs or Ina Garten and just have a “uniform” but I’m too cheap to pay full price for clothes so I get what’s on clearance 😂

 

Here is what’s inside that bag. 

8BCBA9AD-A7DF-44C1-9833-12AFE5492ADB.jpeg

Clay, just to be clear, is that list used by both you and Mike, each having your own rollaboard and personal item (the wear/bag column)? Or do you wear the same sizes? And I would echo Twitchly's comments about toiletries - I can do with a toothbrush (figuratively), but DW brings the store.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, Andy would say there is always a good pint of beer.  🍺 I could agree with that.  Mimosas and all that ilk are Girly drinks...  But then, if you like orange juice, there is always the classic Harvey Wallbanger.🍹

 

I'll have a Harvey Wallbanger, for a change. Need a refreshment after watching the F1 Grand Prix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Twitchly said:


And a spreadsheet! You just added another layer of impressive there. 
 

I notice you left “toiletries” blank. Those would take up about half my carry-on, I’m afraid. 

It’s in its quart bag.  Can’t take but so much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, What was that? said:

Clay, just to be clear, is that list used by both you and Mike, each having your own rollaboard and personal item (the wear/bag column)? Or do you wear the same sizes? And I would echo Twitchly's comments about toiletries - I can do with a toothbrush (figuratively), but DW brings the store.

Yep, that’s the list he will ask me for the day before we leave. LOL. 
 

We both have rollaboards and  (if he gets finished making them) weekender bags to replace the backpacks we traveled with previously. 

282ECA78-00C1-418D-BAEC-7765D57327F0.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2021 at 12:03 PM, OnTheJourney said:

lol....like Rick Steeves always advocates...pack light (except that he's got a whole crew traveling with him!)  Always got a kick out of how he suggests only 5 pair of underwear. Wear and wash I suppose. 

 

 

 

He always tells us what to pack in our suitcases for a two week trip but he never talks about how to handle the laundry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

He always tells us what to pack in our suitcases for a two week trip but he never talks about how to handle the laundry.

Yes he does.  I know because we followed his advice on our two week Italian land/cruise trip years ago.  
 

We found a laundry near our airbnb (that didn’t have a washer-which is the cheaper way to wash clothes) in Rome where we were staying for two nights after a week on trains and before we boarded a ship to head back to Venice round the boot. The laundry washed and folded our clothes while we were touring the coliseum which we picked up and repacked for the cruise. They charged us by the pound. As I recall it cost us 25 bucks or so (this was in 2013) so we’ll worth it to not give up a couple of hours of limited touring time.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes he does.  I know because we followed his advice on our two week Italian land/cruise trip years ago.  
 

We found a laundry near our airbnb (that didn’t have a washer-which is the cheaper way to wash clothes) in Rome where we were staying for two nights after a week on trains and before we boarded a ship to head back to Venice round the boot. The laundry washed and folded our clothes while we were touring the coliseum which we picked up and repacked for the cruise. They charged us by the pound. As I recall it cost us 25 bucks or so (this was in 2013) so we’ll worth it to not give up a couple of hours of limited touring time.   

 

I guess you can tell I have never watched the Rome segments. 😊

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

I guess you can tell I have never watched the Rome segments. 😊

Doubt that’s where we saw it.  It was on one of his YouTubes I suspect (we cut the cord long ago).  Seems like it was an advice on traveling segment...not on a particular place.  But it was long ago so I could be completely wrong 🤪

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...