The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Oxford would make a good base.  As a fellow Churchill fan I certainly would go to Blenheim Palace.  But the best, imho, would be the Churchill War Rooms exhibit in London.  And another interesting place for the history is Bletchley Park.  Where they had the famous code breakers.  After all that history a tour of the Cotswolds for a pub lunch or three is easy from Oxford.  Bourton-On-The- Water is a favorite village.  Sounds like a really fun trip.  I have heard there is a new overnight luxury train service from Edinburgh to London.  Have no direct experience but it sounds really nice.🍸

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Knoxclone you have to forgive me but I just can't help myself... ROLL TIDE!!!!

Ha - I'm a BIG12 girl  ( hence the cy"CLONE") living in the land of the SEC! 

We've done Bletchley Park - which to me reminded me of Oak Ridge TN  (AKA the Secret City) just a few miles north of me.  Did the War Rooms about 10 years ago - but understand they have opened up some new exhibits. 

Never have spent any real time "country"- other than visiting friends who lived in Kent and a visit to Chartwell. 

Looking at trying the caledonian sleeper night train - but will have to go to London and then back up to Oxford, so still debating on that. 

2 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Since the Venus was "repurposed" and we are unable to do our Trade Routes itinerary in October, we are doing a land/river cruise w the National WWII museum in Normandy.  At the conclusion, we would like to fly to Edinburg and spend a few days, and then down to Oxford/London and then back to the States.

My questions are:

DH has been in Scotland several times during his military service - mainly in the north, and near Glasgow, but I've never been  - any suggestions of tours/guides and  "must sees".  

We are looking at using a bunch of Hilton points - any comments on the Waldorf Astoria caledonia?  or other suggestions?

Finally, after spending 3-4 days in Scotland, we plan to train down to London. Have spent a fair amount of time in London, so looking to visit Oxford and Blenheim (DH is an overly enthusiastic Churchill devotee, so that is a must..and we've managed to cover many of the other Churchill sites during previous visits).

Thoughts on if it would be better to base in Oxford, hire a car or self drive, or simply take private tours from London?  As always, thanks to all or your continued wisdom and advice! 

I second Jim's suggestions - Blenheim Palace is a must for Churchill devotees. However, to see the downstairs museum, upstairs A/V displays and a garden walkabout takes the best part of a day.

In Oxford we stayed at a Travelodge on the outskirts of town, purchasing a day ticket on the Ho-Ho. They had a stop in the adjacent park & ride at the by-pass. In Oxford, we started at Christ Church, then walked the back streets to the covered market. Left out the rear and headed to Balliol/Trinity College, then across to History of Science and Bodleian Library for a guided tour. We then walked down High Street to Magdalen Bridge/Chapel/College, walking back up Queen's Lane to the bridge at New College Lane. We then jumped back on the HoHo to complete the tour, getting off at a few stops.

As Jim noted the Cotswolds are spectacular, and we agree with Bourton on the Water, where we saw the locals playing football in the river, which is ankle deep.

In Scotland, it will depend on your interests. If interested in Golf then St Andrews is a must. The Falkirk Wheel is an amazing feat of engineering and well worth a visit. If Scotland's national drink is of interest you may want to check out Speyside Whisky Trail. For steam trains you have one operating out of Fort William. If you are there during the Edinburgh Tattoo, it is well worth booking tickets. Our preference is the seats facing the Castle, with the 2nd performance on a Saturday night. For food options - some of the best Fish & Chips can be found at Anstruther Fish Bar, best bridie is from Stadler's Bakery in Forfar and an excellent option for fine dining is the Peat Inn, just outside St Andrews. Pubs - one on every corner, never a bad one, just some better than others.

For train service, you have regular service from both Glasgow and Edinburgh to London. They do arrive in different London Stations - Edinburgh goes to King's Cross, while Glasgow goes to Euston. Journey times can be less than 5 hrs. Advance tickets highly recommended, as they are cheaper and also suggest reserving seats, as the trains are busy. If you have lots of luggage, might want to consider First Class, as it's easier to stow bags with less seats.

You may want to investigate railcard options.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Thoughts on if it would be better to base in Oxford, hire a car or self drive, or simply take private tours from London?  As always, thanks to all or your continued wisdom and advice! 

Just a thought from somebody from the Cotswolds.

Perhaps go to London first. Then head north and stay in Woodstock, a beautiful small town/large village adjacent to Blenheim. From here you can explore the Cotswold and Oxford as much as you wish using local transport or private/group tours as you prefer. Bourton on the Water is very pretty if you time your visit well otherwise it can be overrun with day visitors. It's not called the Venice of the Cotswolds for only its looks. There are many other beautiful Cotswold villages and places to visit.

From there perhaps travel to Edinburgh via train. Get yourself to Birmingham and its can be a 4 hr train journey to the centre of Edinburgh. Or just hire a car in London or wherever you prefer and drop it off later at the departing airport.

Then fly back to the US from Scotland.

• Like 1

Thanks much for the suggestions so far... any comments on Edinburg lodging would be appreciated. 

Since it will be Nov, I am presuming that darkness will fall early and  many attractions may have shortened or winter hours. Was looking at trying to take a day trip/tour through the highlands and possible Loch Ness or Loch Lomond.  Other options include a tour with the Kelpies monument and Sterling castle vs.  spending a day in Glasgow?  

Blenheim is a MAJOR bucket list item for DH, so I like the idea of basing in Woodstock. A quick search shows several very nice inns and hotels.

I always enjoy the HOHO tours, for nothing else, if just get your bearings on a city.  Have taken a "virtual" tour of the Bodlean Library, so am keen to see it in "real" life. 

I need to read up on the Cotswolds! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knoxclone said:

Thanks much for the suggestions so far... any comments on Edinburg lodging would be appreciated. 

Since it will be Nov, I am presuming that darkness will fall early and  many attractions may have shortened or winter hours. Was looking at trying to take a day trip/tour through the highlands and possible Loch Ness or Loch Lomond.  Other options include a tour with the Kelpies monument and Sterling castle vs.  spending a day in Glasgow?  

Blenheim is a MAJOR bucket list item for DH, so I like the idea of basing in Woodstock. A quick search shows several very nice inns and hotels.

I always enjoy the HOHO tours, for nothing else, if just get your bearings on a city.  Have taken a "virtual" tour of the Bodlean Library, so am keen to see it in "real" life. 

I need to read up on the Cotswolds! 

Yes, at those Latitudes it gets dark early. In St Andrews it was getting dark around 15:30 to 16:00 at the end of November and the sun doesn't come up until about 08:00.

In November, a day trip to Loch Ness from Edinbugh would be a long tough day, as with traffic and weather it could be a 4+ hr drive up to Inverness. If you stayed overnight in Inverness, it is certainly possible.  Loch Lomond is an easier drive, through Glasgow and across the Erskine Bridge, which should be under 2 hrs each way.

Although I'm originally from the Glasgow area, between a day trip to Glasgow or Stirling, I would suggest Stirling - The Kelpies, Falkirk Wheel, Stirling Castle, Wallace Monument. You can also check out Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and Blair Drummond Safari Park.

Can't help with accommodation in Edinburgh, as we stayed in our St Andrews home and took the train into the city. You should be able to find some incredible B&B's. If you decide to consider the St Andrews area, I can supply a list of the best B&B's in the area.

If considering hiring a car, be aware that UK has incredible photo radar coverage, including average speed cameras, restricted lane cameras, etc. After driving for 5 months back in 2017, at or below the speed limit, I still sweated for many months after getting home, hoping we didn't receive a ticket.

2 hours ago, knoxclone said:

Depending on your budget The Balmoral is a fabulous hotel right in the centre of Edinburgh, but there are plenty of other great options depending on budget. 

Given that you are visiting in November, I would concentrate on Edinburgh and Stirling and sights in between. Edinburgh castle is must do and Stirling Castle is spectacular too. Heidi113 suggestions above would also give you great variety. 

The Falkirk Wheel and The Kelpies are interesting sights in the central belt. 

I personally would not bother with the Highlands/Loch Ness on such a trip. Wrong time of the year and too far unless you are there for a long time. The weather could close in and you could be stuck for a time whilst roads are cleared. The road or train from Edinburgh to Stirling is beautiful enough. 

Other day trip from Edinburgh could be along the Borders Train line to Galashiels and back. This was a new line reopened a few years ago which gives good access into the Scottish Borders. 

As this is is the Explorers Bar perhaps you need some suggestions on a decent malt whisky? 

But you will have even more fun trying them yourself until you find the one you like best. 

I was in Scotland many years ago, in July.  I had a research meeting in Glasgow, and after the meeting rented a car and toured around the country.  We did take a few days and went to Inverness.  We also went looking for Nessie.  I think we saw her ;).

The only hotel we stayed in was the convention hotel in Glasgow.  We had a Bed and Breakfast book (it was one released yearly where the places had been vetted beforehand) and called for lodging the night before we left as we had no set schedules.  While I would like to do this again, I am not sure I would do it without an itinerary and reservations.  

On 6/24/2021 at 1:45 PM, knoxclone said:

Since the Venus was "repurposed" and we are unable to do our Trade Routes itinerary in October, we are doing a land/river cruise w the National WWII museum in Normandy.  At the conclusion, we would like to fly to Edinburg and spend a few days, and then down to Oxford/London and then back to the States.

My questions are:

DH has been in Scotland several times during his military service - mainly in the north, and near Glasgow, but I've never been  - any suggestions of tours/guides and  "must sees".  

We are looking at using a bunch of Hilton points - any comments on the Waldorf Astoria caledonia?  or other suggestions?

Finally, after spending 3-4 days in Scotland, we plan to train down to London. Have spent a fair amount of time in London, so looking to visit Oxford and Blenheim (DH is an overly enthusiastic Churchill devotee, so that is a must..and we've managed to cover many of the other Churchill sites during previous visits).

I have really fond memories of a family vacation we took years ago where we stayed in several Landmark Trust properties (landmarktrust.org.uk) and rented a car and drove between them and to various sites.  We stayed in an apartment in Hampton Court Palace, at Rosslyn Castle (next to Rosslyn Chapel outside Edinburgh) and our first stop was several days in the Bedfordshire countryside, where we spent one day touring Cambridge.  It was during March--extended spring break for the kids--and it was chilly but I love traveling in the off-season when the tourist spots are not crowded. Sadly I am not sure that the Hampton Court or Rosslyn Castle properties are available anymore through Landmark Trust; at least I did not see them the last time I looked.

Probably for two of you there aren't a lot of suitable Landmark Trust properties to stay in, and they DO have a different idea of heating systems than Americans do...so maybe that is not a great idea, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I'd just pack lots of fleece.

We stopped on our way up to Edinburgh at one of the Roman forts on Hadrian's Wall--I think it was Housesteads--and I highly recommend that if you haven't been to one of them.  If your husband likes WWII stuff, maybe he will like Roman Army stuff too!  And it was good to spend a couple hours out of the car walking around to break up the trip.

I'd also highly recommend Stirling and its castle--that was one of our stops.  We also went to Dunblane, more because I have ancestors from there than any other reason.  It was absolutely pouring rain so our touring was abbreviated but we did go to see the little cathedral.  And don't miss Rosslyn Chapel if you haven't been there!

Maybe I'm a chicken but I would definitely not drive in London. Seems like a car would be far more trouble than it's worth there.  I'd do my days in London first if there were things I wanted to do there, and then take the train to somewhere outside the worst of the urban sprawl and pick up a rental car for the rest of my trip.  

Have you "done" York?  That might be a good place to spend a day or two, in between Oxford and Edinburgh.

Now I want to go on vacation to England and Scotland!!  🙂

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

On this beautiful Saturday at sea I think I shall start with a BBC.  Thanks Ivan, you make the best...🍹 I could sit here and watch the flying fish all day.  Just might try to ignore my "Honey DO" list.

OK I’ve been waiting to say this for 15 months. LIVE  from the Explorers Lounge, it’s Saturday Night. In Iceland!  Cheers everyone. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

OK I’ve been waiting to say this for 15 months. LIVE  from the Explorers Lounge, it’s Saturday Night. In Iceland!  Cheers everyone. 

Cheers and Enjoy the real thing.

We appreciate your patience and hard work on the Live thread.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

BAND PLAYS!!!  AUDIENCE CHEERS, CLAPS, HOOTS and WHISTLES!!!

FIREWORKS EXPLODE!!!  CHAMPAGNE CORKS EXPLODE!!!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bvjdcqvlufeingv8ertf

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

BAND PLAYS!!!  AUDIENCE CHEERS, CLAPS, HOOTS and WHISTLES!!!

FIREWORKS EXPLODE!!!  CHAMPAGNE CORKS EXPLODE!!!

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bvjdcqvlufeingv8ertf

A yes, I will have a glass of that Viking bubbly and line up my second one Please.   Good to get away from a LIVE drama poster for a bit.  Chill...

• Haha 1

Since I think I posted the original photos of my custom underseat bag here, I thought I would post the remade one. 

After he finished making it, Mike and I both agreed it was too big so he made his smaller. When it was finished we both agreed that we liked it a lot better.  So Momday  I spent most of the day using the seam ripper to take it apart. He then recut and resewed it. We are both very pleased with the final result. 

Especially since it means we are now all finished packing for Reykjavik. This time next week we should be in our final approach to Boston to catch our flight onward…after a lobster roll at Legal Seafood! LOL

D01066AF-0CF9-4577-9DF3-4FFC85F7CD70.jpeg

598FEFAF-FACD-4E1E-882A-544BDF645F26.jpeg

664613F0-B795-4B18-BE85-90206F9BE66C.jpeg

50C3D587-8DC6-41BA-9983-ED696F1E1646.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Since I think I posted the original photos of my custom underseat bag here, I thought I would post the remade one. 

After he finished making it, Mike and I both agreed it was too big so he made his smaller. When it was finished we both agreed that we liked it a lot better.  So Momday  I spent most of the day using the seam ripper to take it apart. He then recut and resewed it. We are both very pleased with the final result. 

Especially since it means we are now all finished packing for Reykjavik. This time next week we should be in our final approach to Boston to catch our flight onward…after a lobster roll at Legal Seafood! LOL

D01066AF-0CF9-4577-9DF3-4FFC85F7CD70.jpeg

598FEFAF-FACD-4E1E-882A-544BDF645F26.jpeg

664613F0-B795-4B18-BE85-90206F9BE66C.jpeg

50C3D587-8DC6-41BA-9983-ED696F1E1646.jpeg

That is a smart looking set of travel luggage. Well done. 👍

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crockett&Darla said:

That is a smart looking set of travel luggage. Well done. 👍

Thanks! Only problem is the viking tags don’t stand out as much….but they are easy to find in the warehouse at the end of a cruise 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks! Only problem is the viking tags don’t stand out as much….but they are easy to find in the warehouse at the end of a cruise 

Clay, what brand/model is your luggage? Love that red.

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Never mind — I just noticed the label on your suitcase and checked out their website. No red any more, just boring drab colors. Why does luggage have to be so boring? Yours is fabulous.

Just now, Twitchly said:

It’s Away. It’s a Serena Williams special edition.  I’m not sure if it’s still available.  We aren’t tennis players but we liked the color so much that we returned the first bag we bought (they have a 100 day no questions asked trial period) and replaced it with these. 

Just now, Twitchly said:

Never mind — I just noticed the label on your suitcase and checked out their website. No red any more, just boring drab colors. Why does luggage have to be so boring? Yours is fabulous.

Try googling Serena Williams And Away.  I got it to show up with pricing but I think it may be on their Canadian website.  Not sure how hard it would be to buy if you’re in the US

7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Try googling Serena Williams And Away.  I got it to show up with pricing but I think it may be on their Canadian website.  Not sure how hard it would be to buy if you’re in the US

Thanks — that brought up a couple additional colors (gray swirl and a seafoam green). But no fabulous red. Must be sold out. 

20 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Thanks — that brought up a couple additional colors (gray swirl and a seafoam green). But no fabulous red. Must be sold out. 

Here is a link, scroll past the new colors and it’s down at the bottom. I clicked on the one we have (bigger expandable) and it let me “add to cart”. 
https://www.awaytravel.com/ca/en/serena-williams

FEFC6E07-6BDF-49BE-A7F6-BC7F9028901E.png