The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately it isn't all good news, as while opening the US to some travellers, it is also closing it to many fully vaccinated Canadians. Although the US land border is still closed, until 8/11/21, we can fly into the US, with only a negative COVID test. Effective 8/11/21, we must meet the US CDC definition of fully vaccinated, which eliminates a fair percentage of fully vaccinated Canadians and others throughout the World.

Even with a Govt issued digital COVID vaccine passport, showing I am fully vaccinated, I will be unable to enter the US, effective 8th November. Also applies to our son, who was vaccinated in Germany.

Because of this change, we had to cancel the Dec 4th Hawaii cruise.

You canceled too quickly. The CDC announced today that the U.S. will accept mixed vaccines starting in November

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-will-accept-mixed-doses-vaccines-international-travelers-2021-10-15/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: Things are looking up.  We are in the Sky in “Athens” and the world cafe just today turn back to serve-yourself.

Still spit tubes, masks and temperature checks.….and since Italy refuses to admit a ship that stops in Turkey, we will miss going back to Ephesus again this week.  We go instead to Santorini, whoo hoo!

Tom

Edited by Tom.in.nc
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom.in.nc said:

FYI: Things are looking up.  We are in the Sky in “Athens” and the world cafe just today turn back to serve-yourself.

Still spit tubes, masks and temperature checks.….and since Italy refuses to admit a ship that stops in Turkey, we will miss going back to Ephesus again this week.  We go instead to Santorini, whoo hoo!

Tom

Sorry to hear about the change in the WC. I was hoping that self serve would remain one of Covid’s victims 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deec said:

Agree...get rid of self serve...I have witnessed way too many UNsafe  things happening with passengers...

Didn’t say I liked it; it’s just an possible indication that we may be returning to the “old normal”, albeit slowly.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I agree self serve in the WC is very bad news.

I also agree, Lorna.

When I read this - I couldn't believe it.  So very bad news.  What was wrong with the way they were doing it?  Maybe there were so many people complaining to Viking that they wanted to do it themselves.

Here's a thought - maybe Viking could do one side of World Cafe as a free for all self-serve and the other side be one where they dished things out for you.  Nah, that's too logical.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I also agree, Lorna.

When I read this - I couldn't believe it.  So very bad news.  What was wrong with the way they were doing it?  Maybe there were so many people complaining to Viking that they wanted to do it themselves.

Here's a thought - maybe Viking could do one side of World Cafe as a free for all self-serve and the other side be one where they dished things out for you.  Nah, that's too logical.

That would work if both sides were the same.  I wouldn't mind being able to pick up an already played item like how they do some of the appetizers or the desserts.  But not the other items.  Only once on our 870 person Iceland cruise was there a long line for service in the WC and that was for breakfast when everyone was trying to eat before the early excursions.

7 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I’m good with self serve, somewhat prefer it. It’s easier to control the serving size that way. 

Each to his own.   We had no problem controlling the serving size by just telling the server exactly what was needed.   If you had seen pre-COVID what some passengers do at the self-serve it would be enough not to want to go there.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I’m good with self serve, somewhat prefer it. It’s easier to control the serving size that way. 

Yes, like the woman on our WC who took four pieces of bacon, thought better of it, and put two back in the tray with her fingers!  Oh, only another 120 days on board with her!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, deec said:

SantaFE  😞

...I think I was near her one day too....I didn't eat much in the WC PRIOR to Covid!!!

We ended up preferring it much of the time, especially as the cruise went on. We enjoy being waited on up to a point but found it more relaxing to head to the excellent WC, especially after a long day excursioning. We were impressed with the quality of the food there (thankfully, we didn’t see anyone fingering the bacon!). So many places cheap out on buffets, but not Viking. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, deec said:

nice and empty!!!  However, someone else will be using that very serving spoon...need to wash your hands again before eating!!!  Viking just serve in the WC!!

Seems all the recent sailings are with 400-500 on Ocean.  What about our November 29 TA sailing which is sold out minus the few cabins held back for quarantine?

1 hour ago, deec said:

nice and empty!!!  However, someone else will be using that very serving spoon...need to wash your hands again before eating!!!  Viking just serve in the WC!!

I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer (fits in a pocket/purse) wherever I go these days…has come in very handy many times!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deec said:

I was thinking that very thing - Viking will need hand sanitizer at each table.  I'm not happy that Viking has gone back to self-serve.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

put two back in the tray with her fingers!

oh brother.... a little simple hygiene consciousness, right? Saw people come out of restrooms, blowing their noses, etc., and right to the buffet. Yuck. Been going on long before covid, and always will. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I was thinking that very thing - Viking will need hand sanitizer at each table.  I'm not happy that Viking has gone back to self-serve.

But then everyone will touch that hand sanitizer.  Better to carry your own.  Viking provided 2 bottles of pocket sized hand sanitizer in each stateroom as well as several packets of wipes.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, deec said:

I loved some of the buffets on the back deck though :(!!!

This reminds me of a question I’ve had for a while. I keep reading about these other buffets here on CC. But I don’t recall any on our cruise a couple years ago. Are these just for warm weather cruises, or on certain ships? On our one Viking cruise (so far), we were on Sky during a spring cruise up the coast of northern Europe. The only buffet I remember seeing was the WC. 

6 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

This reminds me of a question I’ve had for a while. I keep reading about these other buffets here on CC. But I don’t recall any on our cruise a couple years ago. Are these just for warm weather cruises, or on certain ships? On our one Viking cruise (so far), we were on Sky during a spring cruise up the coast of northern Europe. The only buffet I remember seeing was the WC. 

Probably referring to "spreads" put out in aquavit or pool areas.

• Like 1