The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

On 7/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, travelbug11 said:

Barcelona to FtLauderdale - same cabin in December 

I stayed in this cabin on Sky for Iceland cruise and loved it.  The aft view is wonderful and there was no problem with noise at any time.  It was a fairly long hike to elevators but that was good for me as I ate too much of the wonderful food.   I would definitely stay again but I couldn't get them for my Norway cruise in July of 23 as they were sold out.   You will love this cabin and view of the wake.

• Like 1

Like Clay, I got distracted by the $25 deposit and checked with DW about the Mississippi. We were looking at the Heartland (St Paul - St Louis) and as fate would have it, next September was open (2-9). That gives them a year to work the bugs out.

Some of our friends and relatives are starting to experience health issues which curtail their travel, so we're going to get out there while we still can.

Since this will be in the States, we're going to do our own air and eliminate another bucket list item by visiting Mt Rushmore before the cruise. My brother reminded me about the Minnesota State Fair, which fits rather nicely before the cruise, too, so we're eagerly looking forward to the trip.

I'll have a TnT (tequila and tonic - my family drink) now and watch the scenery float by.

• Like 3

only available inTorshaven but those of you in VIRTUAL EXPLORER's I encourage you to try some of the diffeerent Fever Tree tonics...changes your idea of a G&T forever!   But regualar Fever Tree tonic makes a great G&T!

• Like 3

Goodness me, Fever Tree is available in Torshaven ?  I am also on the Azamara board and there are numerous threads about it.  Many from the UK actually bring some onboard because they hate the Royal Club tonic often supplied, although on our recent cruise at least the regular tonic was Schweppes.  Sometimes there is a small supply onboard which is carefully controlled and only available to those 'in the know'.   

Back onboard Viking soon and I can't remember what the regular Tonic offering is.  It does seem counter intuitive to pay for a top drawer spirit and then dilute it with an inferior product.

• Like 1

Mrs. Wiggins is right!  Tonic is important to a good G&T. When Fever Tree first came out (at least here in the US) we did a blind taste test of G&Ts using it, Canada Dry, Polar,  a store brand and Schweppes. Schweppes was the unanimous winner. For me it was all about the carbonations-Schweppes was very bubbly. I did enjoy one of the flavored FeverTree tonics at someone’s house awhile back but Schweppes has been our house tonic for long time. 

Do watch the expiration dates though. I went to pull out something from the back of the bar last week and discovered a sticky mess beside a four pack of Schweppes tonic. Think old dried honey. Picked up the cans and turns out three of them were empty!  No visible holes in the cans, tops weren’t popped….😳

According to Google, this happens when the acid in the beverage eats through the lining of aluminum cans which then exposes micro pores in the aluminum. The liquid then leaves the can slowly-sorta like condensation. Who Knew?

And yes, I know it means I need to drink more😂🍸🥃🍸

451ABC3F-26B2-4599-A00D-3A03A404BA79.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Mrs. Wiggins is right!  Tonic is important to a good G&T. When Fever Tree first came out (at least here in the US) we did a blind taste test of G&Ts using it, Canada Dry, Polar,  a store brand and Schweppes. Schweppes was the unanimous winner. For me it was all about the carbonations-Schweppes was very bubbly. I did enjoy one of the flavored FeverTree tonics at someone’s house awhile back but Schweppes has been our house tonic for long time. 

Do watch the expiration dates though. I went to pull out something from the back of the bar last week and discovered a sticky mess beside a four pack of Schweppes tonic. Think old dried honey. Picked up the cans and turns out three of them were empty!  No visible holes in the cans, tops weren’t popped….😳

According to Google, this happens when the acid in the beverage eats through the lining of aluminum cans which then exposes micro pores in the aluminum. The liquid then leaves the can slowly-sorta like condensation. Who Knew?

You must consume all those nearing sell by date tonight!  Anything less would be wasteful and we all know it is a sin to waste......Especially bar products.......🍸

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

So we buy Fever Tree in glass bottles—just sayin’……! 😄

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Neptune2022 said:

Hubby’s drink of choice is gin & bitter lemon.   Do they offer bitter lemon - either Schweppes or Fever Tree?  He prefers Schweppes but we can’t find it in the US for years now.    

I see Bitter Lemon listed on the Drinks Menu that i downloaded but not the brand.

• Thanks 1

Hi. All.  
thnking of purchasing a silver spirits package for our upcoming cruise 17 days    Although I don’t drink alcohol ( any more😂). My wife enjoys a nice wine at dinner,  a glass of champagne t two and a evening cocktail especially on vacation.   I enjoy quite a few alcohol free or low alcohol beers and the alcohol free gin and tonics ( I believe I have seen the sipsmith gin on a drinks list on here somewhere?).    I feel it would be advantageous for ease of accounting to pre purchase the package £260?  Each. 
 Anyone know if you had a glass of champagne over the $15:00 Limit per glass you just pay the difference?  As our cruise takes us over New Years it seems that it could be good value? 

thanks 

19 minutes ago, Cruisenewbie63 said:

Hi. All.  
thnking of purchasing a silver spirits package for our upcoming cruise 17 days    Although I don’t drink alcohol ( any more😂). My wife enjoys a nice wine at dinner,  a glass of champagne t two and a evening cocktail especially on vacation.   I enjoy quite a few alcohol free or low alcohol beers and the alcohol free gin and tonics ( I believe I have seen the sipsmith gin on a drinks list on here somewhere?).    I feel it would be advantageous for ease of accounting to pre purchase the package £260?  Each. 
 Anyone know if you had a glass of champagne over the $15:00 Limit per glass you just pay the difference?  As our cruise takes us over New Years it seems that it could be good value? 

thanks 

Not that my experience is definitive... I've only ever seen one no/low alcohol beer offering and have never seen any non-alcoholic wine or spirits.

I'll be happily corrected.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, Cruisenewbie63 said:

Hi. All.  

thanks 

It’s my understanding that you pay the full price for any drink over $15 not just the difference. Also, when we sailed, the only champagne by the glass was not worth (IMHO) the $16 price tag.  We found the Prosecco which was included in the package to be the best of the sparklings by the glass. You will receive a discount on the Taittingers (our house champagne) if you purchase by the bottle.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

have never seen any non-alcoholic wine or spirits.

They do have non-alcoholic wine, but I have not seen non-alcoholic spirits. The n/a red wine I sampled at Chefs Table in March was decent, the white was not.

IMO, you should skip the package, drink Prosecco, & any cocktails out of pocket.

We are not big drinkers and spent less than $100 total for our bar tab on our TA in March. We generally enjoy the included wines, and by the glass extras are only $6. Besides, we had several included cocktails on the house since our TA came from San Juan and they were handing out rum punch at lunch & during afternoon events on a regular basis!

🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹

2 hours ago, Cruisenewbie63 said:

Hi. All.  

thanks 

There is a nonalcoholic beer for $5.00, the House Wine outside of lunch and dinner times is $5.00, Premium listed wines are $6.00, Viking Sparkling is $5.50 and Prosecco is $8.00.  I have never seen non alcoholic alcohol.  Isn't that an oxymoron?  Juices, sodas, mineral water outside of meal times range from $3.75-$5.00 but if this is something you like outside meals you can just take a can with you when you leave the WC.

Both my DH and I drink alcohol - mostly wine but an occasional cocktail or after dinner drink.  We enjoy trying all the different wines and don't always like the daily house wine choice.  We feel paying for the package for both of us worth it.

On one 18 day cruise we planned to purchase it on board.  However my DH had a bout of diverticulitis right before our cruise and was not drinking alcohol so we did not purchase it.  I drank the house wine or an occasional premium one, sparkling wine or a cocktail but probably not as much as if my DH was drinking.  Toward the end of the cruise my DH had a few wines.  Our bill at the end of the cruise was 1/5 of the cost of paying for SSP.

And you know you can bring your own beverages on board whether alcoholic or not.

Edited by TayanaLorna
  • Like 1

You can bring your own wine or spirits on board. I  brought bottle of Cava  at a Spanish port. Gave it to Restaurant staff in afternoon for drinking at dinner that night.

We  also had the silver package. My sister does not drink alcohol. She had  San Pelligrino at  lunch and dinner. She enjoyed mocktails that were on the menu plus the pool bartender made her special ones  he created when we returned from morning excursions and ate lunch at the pool grill. We were on the  Viking Orion. 

Edited by Azulann

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Didn’t I see mocktails on the drink menu? I imagine those would be covered by the SS package. Not fake alcohol, just an interesting combo of juices and such.

Thanks.  I just remember on this site some kind soul posted a drinks list from the Nghtclub? And I saw a seed lip gin