Hawaii Ships & Tourists

dockman

So the NCL jewel where no passenger has set foot on land since march 11 and none of the passengers have reported any symptoms were taken off the ship (met with people in hazmat suits) put on buses  today and taken directly to charter flights, not allowed to use restrooms or come in contact with anyone.

Meantime Hawaii has had about 20 k people a day arriving at HNL airport for past few weeks and many more than that for past few months.  That number is now down to about 7 k a day as of yesterday.  Very few if any of the passengers arriving via air were screened at all and went right on their merry way.   This is now changing as all arriving tourists effective tonight have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in their hotels and all returning residents suppose to self quarantine for 14 days at home.  Hard to imagine that any tourist in their right mind would still come to hawaii to be locked in their hotel room but i suppose some will still show up.

Seems a bit strange to me that the cruise passengers who haven't been on land since March 11 and no doubt have washed their hands til raw and show no symptoms are treated as lepers while  over 100 K airline passengers who have been who knows where via who knows how many airports, shopping malls, hotels, restaurants,  have been waltzing right into Hawaii with little or no checks. 

Yes there have been big problems with a few ships but it's not like the virus has not been spread by people who have not been near a ship or a cruise passenger. 

Cruise Lines a few weeks ago suspended all cruises for 30+ days and have jumped through hoops to try and get all the passengers home asap.  Airlines seem determined to keep flying as many planes as possible, mostly less than half full,  as long as there is a demand.

A bit of perspective might be in order.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/23/breaking-news/norwegian-jewel-cruise-ship-passengers-disembark-at-honolulu-harbor-bused-to-airport/

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, gwenmarie said:

My cruise leaves April 15 from Seattle RT to Hawaii on HAL Eurodam and is still not cancelled.

I am not sure but I would not give it much chance of operating as scheduled.  Airlines are cutting flight schedules to Hawaii big time with the new 15 day all tourist quarantine orders and Hawaii as above is not especially friendly right now to ships.  Just cannot imagine any ship will be allowed to disembark on any Hawaiian Islands in month of April.

2 minutes ago, gwenmarie said:

I know we won’t be going but HAL is apparently in denial or very busy getting the rest of their guests back to the US

HAL is doing the same thing as the airlines.  They are holding on to the deposits as long as possible, as well as trying to convert as many of the booking dollars into FCC's as possible.

It is not denial, it is not a matter of being busy, it is cash management.

I understand the delay and today cancelled my Amtrak reservation from Portland to Seattle and back. Offered a full refund or voucher. I will continue to wait for HAL yo do the same. I have nothing else to do😊