CMV transfer passengers to get them home

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/cmv-bring-passengers-home-in-unique-transfer-at-sea-operation/

Cruise & Maritime Voyages (CMV) have confirmed that two of their cruise ships, Columbus and Vasco da Gama rendezvoused 12 nautical miles off the coast of Phuket, Thailand to undertake a unique passenger transfer and repatriation operation involving 239 passengers.

Vasco da Gama is now undertaking a 2837 nautical mile voyage directly back to Australia with 952 passengers including 907 Australian and New Zealander nationals and 552 crew members onboard arriving back in Fremantle (Perth) on 27 March.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, voluntr57 said:

Last I heard from friends on board Vasco da Gama, no Corona onboard and they were having a good time.

I think they were saying the same about the Ruby Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Will they self isolate in Freo or go straight home .?

After midnight tonight anyone arriving in NZ from overseas ,NZ citizen or foreigner , must self isolate where they arrive.

Surely they would isolate in Perth somewhere? Its a long plane flight across the country from Perth. Mind you, they will also have to isolate if any should return to SA as well.  

Perth Media is reporting that WA Govt is sending the hundreds of Aussies on board Vasco De Gama to Rottnest Island to quarantine.  Also sending MSC Magnifica away same with another Artania ?  was mentioned. Not good.

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Perth Media is reporting that WA Govt is sending the hundreds of Aussies on board Vasco De Gama to Rottnest Island to quarantine.  Also sending MSC Magnifica away same with another Artania ?  was mentioned. Not good.

Is there enough accommodation for all of them on Rottnest?

7 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Is there enough accommodation for all of them on Rottnest?

According to Wikipedia, Rottnest gets around 500 000 annual visitors with "up to 15000 visitors at a time during peak periods". And you would think that the WA government are sure that they can safely house the number of pax from the Vasco da Gama there. There was talk of using Rottnest as a quarantine facility already several days ago.

12 minutes ago, boeckli said:

According to Wikipedia, Rottnest gets around 500 000 annual visitors with "up to 15000 visitors at a time during peak periods". And you would think that the WA government are sure that they can safely house the number of pax from the Vasco da Gama there. There was talk of using Rottnest as a quarantine facility already several days ago.

I can think of worse places to be quarantined. Rottnest is gorgeous. Ironically, in its early days it was a quarantine station, and for a while a prison, and an internment facility during WWII.

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I can think of worse places to be quarantined. Rottnest is gorgeous. Ironically, in its early days it was a quarantine station, and for a while a prison, and an internment facility during WWII.

It has always been on my to do list.  I didn't know about its history, just the quokkas, beautiful beaches and bike riding. 

I saw an interview with the WA Premier just a while ago and he said that only Western Australians would go to Rottnest Isalnd for their quarantine. He didn't know what they would do with the remaining Australians and NZers.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I saw an interview with the WA Premier just a while ago and he said that only Western Australians would go to Rottnest Isalnd for their quarantine. He didn't know what they would do with the remaining Australians and NZers.

Leigh

If they are Australian and we know they are, he cant just stick them on a plane. 

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Surely the WA government could keep all the Aussies and the New Zealanders in quarantine on Rottnest. After their 14 days, they can safely fly to their respective home states or NZ.

Has to be this way! Unfortunately when they get to SA they will need to serve another 14 days but at least thats at home and they can plan for that.  I totally agree with requiring the other ships to leave unless a few passengers are in truly dire circumstances. But no one else and the crew does not manage that process. 

Edited by Pushka