Looking On he Bright Side of Covid-19

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I paid for my own, paid twice for my daughters and paid half of my sons wedding. No wonder I am not wealtthy.🤐

Thinking about selling my house, buying an apartment down here and putting 300k in my future cruise account. SKI time again perhaps.

Don't do it.  With your own house, you are king of your castle.  Your own apartment is only as good as the worst apartment owner.  Been there!

38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I paid for my own, paid twice for my daughters and paid half of my sons wedding. No wonder I am not wealtthy.🤐

Thinking about selling my house, buying an apartment down here and putting 300k in my future cruise account. SKI time again perhaps.

Thinking seriously about downsizing and such is worth doing, as does for what to do with any surplus funds. As for cruising, it is certainly a nice way to spend some of your hard earned in retirement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Don't do it.  With your own house, you are king of your castle.  Your own apartment is only as good as the worst apartment owner.  Been there!

A townhouse might be a good compromise.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

apartments are nice for lockup and leave... and that is about it...

Says he who has lived in an apartment 20 year plus....

also have been the chairperson of the Owner Corporation for 15 year...

one has seen enough.......

Don 

We owned a unit in a small block of 5 units, where we volunteered re general upkeep and were Chair of the Body Corporate, free of any charge.  Worked well and everyone was happy, until we got a new owner who upset everyone.  Getting a Body Corporate Management Company to do the books, didn't help solve the problem, which continues until today.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

We owned a unit in a small block of 5 units, where we volunteered re general upkeep and were Chair of the Body Corporate, free of any charge.  Worked well and everyone was happy, until we got a new owner who upset everyone.  Getting a Body Corporate Management Company to do the books, didn't help solve the problem, which continues until today.  

I understand... is some respects   small unit blocks are the worst when somebody doesn't play ball.... we have 24 apartments  in our group... the only sticking point is a person owns 6 units ( but lucky has sold 2 now )... Also I am the only committee person on site.... so i am the eyes and ears

Cheers Don

7 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I understand... is some respects   small unit blocks are the worst when somebody doesn't play ball.... we have 24 apartments  in our group... the only sticking point is a person owns 6 units ( but lucky has sold 2 now )... Also I am the only committee person on site.... so i am the eyes and ears

Cheers Don

I hope your block of apartments value the work you do.  We were lucky to have lots of years when living there was a joy, with our children growing up at the beach.  

25 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

So you are the Sheriff Don?

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So you are the Sheriff Don?

Actually Les ..... Chairman Don....    but no badge or Big Stick    lol

Jokes a side.... check on all the contractors... deal with most issues 

Sometimes I get a little over it... as everybody tends to sit on their bottom and not do anything..... ( nothing like being away on hols and come back to a sewage overflow )

The worst    March 2020  homeless people in unregistered car arrive on site in one of the parking spots and set up camp..... that was a pain.... 

it took about 4 months to be rid of them...

is Don is good    ( better with Big Stick )

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Actually Les ..... Chairman Don....    but no badge or Big Stick    lol

Jokes a side.... check on all the contractors... deal with most issues 

Sometimes I get a little over it... as everybody tends to sit on their bottom and not do anything..... ( nothing like being away on hols and come back to a sewage overflow )

The worst    March 2020  homeless people in unregistered car arrive on site in one of the parking spots and set up camp..... that was a pain.... 

it took about 4 months to be rid of them...

is Don is good    ( better with Big Stick )

That sound like a nightmare, Don, both the sewage overflow and the homeless campers.  Why did it take 4 months?  The legal process? 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That sound like a nightmare, Don, both the sewage overflow and the homeless campers.  Why did it take 4 months?  The legal process? 

Hi Marion   well because it was on private property (car spaces on lot owners title )

Police were unable to do anything. ( 4 call outs )..  the homeless thought they owned the place.... after two week went AWL....   to cut to the chase    it was all up to the lot owner.......   when they finally returned the Owner of the lot put a notice on the car saying it would be remove in 28 days...    after he had read the notice, he disappear... somebody smash one of the cars windows.... the homeless people jump up and down... the 28 day expired   a towing company removed the car leaving a note to where the car was.....

The homeless person returned use our outside power points to charge his photo....

After blocking off power points he finally disappear after all in all about 4 months....

It was a nightmare.. people were afraid... but nobody could really help, which i feel it the worst part, the Police and Owner Corporation were both powerless.

Cheers Don   

51 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Hi Marion   well because it was on private property (car spaces on lot owners title )

Police were unable to do anything. ( 4 call outs )..  the homeless thought they owned the place.... after two week went AWL....   to cut to the chase    it was all up to the lot owner.......   when they finally returned the Owner of the lot put a notice on the car saying it would be remove in 28 days...    after he had read the notice, he disappear... somebody smash one of the cars windows.... the homeless people jump up and down... the 28 day expired   a towing company removed the car leaving a note to where the car was.....

The homeless person returned use our outside power points to charge his photo....

After blocking off power points he finally disappear after all in all about 4 months....

It was a nightmare.. people were afraid... but nobody could really help, which i feel it the worst part, the Police and Owner Corporation were both powerless.

Cheers Don   

What an ordeal, Don.  People would be afraid.  Not knowing when it was going to be resolved would have been horrible to have to live with for so long. 

Our worst period was when developers were trying to force us to sell.  When I made the mistake of saying I felt safe living there, they had someone break in, take nothing, but leave a spoon, so we knew someone had been in our unit.  

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Our worst period was when developers were trying to force us to sell.  When I made the mistake of saying I felt safe living there, they had someone break in, take nothing, but leave a spoon, so we knew someone had been in our unit

*****?????  

We've lived in an block of 48 apartments  with a Strata Manager, on-site cleaner, gardener and a reliable group of residents who regularly do busy-bees to keep the place looking good.  Mr B has been Chair of the Council of Owners for 4 years and enjoys this role.  Our only issue has been that, as we live in a tourist canal precinct, the ground floor is available for short term / holiday rental.  From time to time this has been a cause of concern in terms of noise and other irritating minor social issues.  However, as this is most usually around Christmas / New Year and we're  normally cruising during this period, it's not too bothersome for us.

We also have a homeless person, the block sort of adopted him and we'd leave food and take coffee for him in addition to other stuff (soap/ towel /tooth paste, brush etc) so that he can take care of his ablutions in the public showers or in the canals.   Some of the kinder residents invite him inside on really cold nights so he can have a warm meal and hot shower. He also charges his mobile on our external power points.  His name is Bondy and he's a lovely bloke who just fell on hard times a few years ago and has not been able to get back on his feet.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

We also have a homeless person, the block sort of adopted him and we'd leave food and take coffee for him in addition to other stuff (soap/ towel /tooth paste, brush etc) so that he can take care of his ablutions in the public showers or in the canals.   Some of the kinder residents invite him inside on really cold nights so he can have a warm meal and hot shower. He also charges his mobile on our external power points.  His name is Bondy and he's a lovely bloke who just fell on hard times a few years ago and has not been able to get back on his feet.

So heart warming to hear that Bondy is being looked after by the considerate people in the block.😘

On 1/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, By The Bay said:

So heart warming to hear that Bondy is being looked after by the considerate people in the block.😘

I wonder if the numerous relatives and friends he rings on his mobile phone appreciate your kindness in allowing him to charge his phone at your expense ....

17 hours ago, Obilix said:

I wonder if the numerous relatives and friends he rings on his mobile phone appreciate your kindness in allowing him to charge his phone at your expense ....

I can't imagine for the life of me why relatives and friends would object to receiving calls from a loved one?  Surely though, if that were the case, they just need to block the number.

• Like 1

I was sardonically suggesting that if he had people to ring, it is those people who should be primarily extending the hand of charity to him.

Though the fact is of course, that they obviously haven't, hence his turning to strangers.

I can't understand why  he sees the need to bother with them anymore, in these circumstances.

22 hours ago, Obilix said:

I was sardonically suggesting that if he had people to ring, it is those people who should be primarily extending the hand of charity to him.

Though the fact is of course, that they obviously haven't, hence his turning to strangers.

I can't understand why  he sees the need to bother with them anymore, in these circumstances.

My apologies, I misread your intention.  

On 1/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, Obilix said:

Perhaps he is just trolling FB or Instagr*m or Tweeter?? Obviously no caring family - lovely to see SOMEONE showing some care 💕