Cruiseline shutdowns

On 4/29/2020 at 6:49 PM, The_Big_M said:

Nobody wants to be out of business more than they have to.

And cruiselines have borne the brunt more than most.

I don't know. Look at Australia's unemployment statistic in about September I'd say. Once JobKeeper ends.  So many small businesses will simply not recover. 

18 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I don't know. Look at Australia's unemployment statistic in about September I'd say. Once JobKeeper ends.  So many small businesses will simply not recover. 

Would definitely agree.... I seam to think the government thinks once lockdown it lifted... everything is back to normal....... 

But small businesses need customers....  but people will not have the money to buy.... 

this is one time I am glad to be older... retied and debt free... with money in mattress

Cheers Don 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Would definitely agree.... I seam to think the government thinks once lockdown it lifted... everything is back to normal....... 

But small businesses need customers....  but people will not have the money to buy.... 

this is one time I am glad to be older... retied and debt free... with money in mattress

Cheers Don 

I do worry about my kids. If this had happened say, 16 years ago we would be in desperate financial times as our business involves interstate work with Universities. Kids aged around 10 and 14 at that time.  Fortunately one child is in an industry that is essential, and other son who likes to spend money is married to a UK GP who is a whizz at managing money and is whipping him into line pronto. And husband and I are very close to a kind of retirement being in our own business but come September we will likely be stripping back the business completely. No choice. 

We have done a lot of travel OS in the last few years - at the time hubby thought it was too soon and we should wait until we retired. Well, so glad we've had wonderful OS experiences because now, future travel no longer possible to the same level. Certainly not before we start to age too much. 

Edited by Pushka

It is a very hard time for a lot of people...

and thinking if this had of happened 10 years ago... it would have been pretty bad us...

I think of the big thing is not really knowing where the light at the end of the tunnel is....

everything it forever moving like the waves on the ocean.....

This has had a huge effect on all the everyday people... something nobody planed for.....

Cheers Don

• Like 2

Food for thought....stolen from another site...

Have a read of this, i think it is from USA but that is irelevant, it means the same here...... 

WORD!!
After listening to some pretty harsh comments & arguing over reopening or completely shutting down for another two weeks, someone in their right mind wrote this.

Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on.

Perspective:

WE ARE NOT IN THE SAME BOAT ...
I heard that we are all in the same boat, but it's not like that. We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat. Your ship could be shipwrecked and mine might not be. Or vice versa.

For some, quarantine is optimal. A moment of reflection, of re-connection, easy in flip flops, with a cocktail or coffee. For others, this is a desperate financial & family crisis.

For some that live alone they're facing endless loneliness. While for others it is peace, rest & time with their mother, father, sons & daughters.

With the $600 weekly increase in unemployment some are bringing in more money to their households than they were working. Others are working more hours for less money due to pay cuts or loss in sales.

Some families of 4 just received $3400 from the stimulus while other families of 4 saw $0.

Some were concerned about getting a certain candy for Easter while others were concerned if there would be enough bread, milk and eggs for the weekend.

Some want to go back to work because they don't qualify for unemployment and are running out of money. Others want to kill those who break the quarantine.

Some are home spending 2-3 hours/day helping their child with online schooling while others are spending 2-3 hours/day to educate their children on top of a 10-12 hour workday.

Some have experienced the near death of the virus, some have already lost someone from it and some are not sure if their loved ones are going to make it. Others don't believe this is a big deal.

Some have faith in God and expect miracles during this 2020. Others say the worst is yet to come.

So, friends, we are not in the same boat. We are going through a time when our perceptions and needs are completely different.

Each of us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing.

We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.

Realize that and be kind.

Unknown author

3 minutes ago, Bizziecruzer said:

Food for thought....stolen from another site...

Have a read of this, i think it is from USA but that is irelevant, it means the same here...... 

WORD!!
After listening to some pretty harsh comments & arguing over reopening or completely shutting down for another two weeks, someone in their right mind wrote this.

Don’t know who wrote it, but it’s spot on.

Perspective:

Thanks Bizziecruiser for posting that... very well written......and lays it on the line.

and the other phrase  which I do not wish to hear again  "we are all in this together"

Don

28 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Thanks Bizziecruiser for posting that... very well written......and lays it on the line.

and the other phrase  which I do not wish to hear again  "we are all in this together"

Don

Thanks Bizziecruiser for the post, and thanks Don for saving me some typing. Couldn't agree more, as quite frankly so far the only things that have affected us, 71 & 75 yo, are the loss of 2 cruise holidays this year, and the restriction on some activities. Actually with the Gov handouts, paid and promised, we are $3,000 better off to say nothing of what we would have spent on our cruises.

Please don't think for one minute that we have lost sight of the struggles of many, after all we do have kids and grandkids who are part of the struggle group.

Edited by Russell21

3 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

No metaphor bears close examination, which is why they are metaphors, but WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT.

That boat is the fight against the coronavirus. What you or I do affects others, as far as the virus is concerned we are all courses on the same buffet table. You can't just say "I will do this" without considering the effect of doing so on your friends and neighbours. Another metaphor, "No man is an island".

To stretch the boat metaphor a bit more, some of us might be in the bow of the boat taking the brunt of the waves, some might be in the stern on a sun lounge and some might be in the engine room stoking the boilers, but we are all in the same boat. That boat is trying to get to a safe harbour without the boat foundering and without throwing some of the crew overboard to lighten the load.

If the crew in the bow need help it's up to all of us to help them, but it's especially up to the captain. The captain should be running the ship with the best interests of the crew and the ship at heart, not one or the other. If people are suffering, then the captain is the one with the authority and resources to help. If that help is not forthcoming, blame the captain not the course the ship is on.

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

I am so sick of that saying now, never want to hear it again. 

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don

I'm getting a bit tired of "an abundance of caution" too.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm getting a bit tired of "an abundance of caution" too.

I was tired of it the first time I heard it from a cruise line.

It's just a platitude to try to justify actions they take - without regard for the other times they do things that are not for that reason.

19 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

No metaphor bears close examination, which is why they are metaphors, but WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT.

That boat is the fight against the coronavirus. What you or I do affects others, as far as the virus is concerned we are all courses on the same buffet table. You can't just say "I will do this" without considering the effect of doing so on your friends and neighbours. Another metaphor, "No man is an island".

To stretch the boat metaphor a bit more, some of us might be in the bow of the boat taking the brunt of the waves, some might be in the stern on a sun lounge and some might be in the engine room stoking the boilers, but we are all in the same boat. That boat is trying to get to a safe harbour without the boat foundering and without throwing some of the crew overboard to lighten the load.

If the crew in the bow need help it's up to all of us to help them, but it's especially up to the captain. The captain should be running the ship with the best interests of the crew and the ship at heart, not one or the other. If people are suffering, then the captain is the one with the authority and resources to help. If that help is not forthcoming, blame the captain not the course the ship is on.

I'll go with the different boat same storm analogy. I'm just glad we're not in the boat with the orange captain.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The "new normal", or "these are extraodrdinary times", or "Unprecedented times".

The new normal is really getting to me, there is NOTHING "normal" about this;  and when this isn't in the forefront what we think of as normal will be back. It will just take time.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

The new normal is really getting to me, there is NOTHING "normal" about this;  and when this isn't in the forefront what we think of as normal will be back. It will just take time.

I dislike all 3 of the terms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm sure that is what people thought after 9/11🙄. Some changes will stay with us long after this pandemic is over. In many ways we have yet to see what our new normal will be. 

22 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I'm sure that is what people thought after 9/11🙄. Some changes will stay with us long after this pandemic is over. In many ways we have yet to see what our new normal will be. 

Nothing in the world will ever be the same again .😢

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link Mic, the article is almost contradictory. The Headline reads "Cruise ships banned from Queensland until pandemic is over", then the body of the article says that the current ban expires on September 17th, also the brand new port is preparing for an early October start.

The wording suggests that the bans "may" be extended as opposed to "will likely be extended" or "it is expected to be extended". I know everything is really wait and see, but it almost seems like the cruise season "could" start as normal. I know many things must fall into place.

Not to diminish the tragedy of the lives lost in Queensland due to Covid 19, but I must say that 6 deaths are thankfully low. I have to think that there would be more deaths in an average 3 month period due to traffic accidents. Both situations are tragic, Covid 19 shut down the entire state. Of course like anyone with half a clue I also understand that without the shutdown the infection rate and death toll would be much higher.

Those jurisdictions that made a plan and executed it have done quite well, those who didn't...not so much. These results show world wide.

Lyle, the September 17th shutdown is a Australian Federal directive, the other (until the pandemic is over) is a Queensland State statement  and actually isn't the correct wording - it's been paraphrased by the media. See my comment in another current thread.

It must have been a slow news day for the Brisbane Times. 🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lyle, the September 17th shutdown is a Australian Federal directive, the other (until the pandemic is over) is a Queensland State statement  and actually isn't the correct wording - it's been paraphrased by the media. See my comment in another current thread.

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, I just thought the headline didn't match the article (That's never happened before 🤔)

I just look at the Queensland Covid numbers and go wow they really kept a lid on it BC has about the same population but only half the area and sadly we have 167 deaths and I thought we were doing pretty well all things considered. Queensland has really excelled but perhaps getting a little out of hand?